Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #101

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me not getting vaccinated, or taking no precautions in crowded situations, also seems insane.

I am told by some around me that I have tended to err on the cautious side in this, but sometimes when I hear of people with no underlying health issues who are double/triple vacced, and are living in almost total hiding from the world/the virus that also seems a bit extreme to me.

There has to be a sensible point somewhere in the middle. JMO.

I think IMO, it is getting back to age- much younger people: less risk and older people much more concerned. We had this dichotomy before- and the elderly get the most negative health impact, so does society protect them? The Thanksgiving multi-generational get together seems like the worst scenario, I am sorry to say.

I think IMO, it is getting back to age- much younger people: less risk and older people much more concerned. We had this dichotomy before- and the elderly get the most negative health impact, so does society protect them? The Thanksgiving multi-generational get together seems like the worst scenario, I am sorry to say.

Yes I guess it all comes down to how much we trust the vaccines to do the job. Most of the data I've seen is encouraging, even more so in the last day or so. If we don't trust them is there any point getting vaccinated?

Of course if some of the multi-generational get together has not been vaccinated that is a different matter.

Last edited:
Covid vaccine that creates T-cells ‘gives better immune response than current jabs’

A new vaccine designed to specifically create T-cells against Covid produces a better immune response than the alternatives already in use, according to trial data.

The CoVac-1 jab has been developed and made by academics at the University of Tubingen, in Germany.

The cells form part of the immune response to protect people against infections and often work in tandem with antibodies. However, while antibody levels often decline over time and need boosting, T-cells have the ability to stay in the bloodstream for several years.

Evidence is emerging that T-cell levels from vaccines may be key in conferring long-term protection against Covid, but studying the level of them in a person's system is difficult.

Interesting, as I just read this article about how Astra Zeneca stimulates the TCell response:

AstraZeneca vaccine may give longer protection that is shielding UK from new Covid wave

That's great, backs up something I read earlier in the week about Pfizer being better for antibodies and AZ for t-cells/memory cells.

"New estimates from the Office for National Statistics and the Covid Infection Survey show that over nine in 10 adults across the UK have antibodies to Covid." - wow really? Presumably that's antibodies from the vaccine as well as recovered infections?

ETA: doh, has to be from the vaccine can't be 9/10 have had covid :oops:

Interesting articles and discussion!

Do vaccines protect against long COVID? What the data say
more
Vaccines reduce the risk of developing COVID-19 — but studies disagree on their protective effect against long COVID.

This is another good article. I don't like that long covid can occur in people with breakthrough infections. :(

From the article:
Overall, Iwasaki has found the results of these studies disappointing. “I honestly thought the vaccine would protect against long COVID much more extensively,” she says. Iwasaki proposes that Delta — which is more transmissible than other variants are — might have weakened the vaccines’ protection against long COVID. If people infected with Delta breathe out a great number of infectious particles, as is thought, the infections that they pass on will have higher initial amounts of virus. That could allow Delta to replicate more readily than other variants, even in fully vaccinated people, says Iwasaki. This higher dose could give the virus a better opportunity to establish a reservoir or provoke an overactive immune response, either of which might then lead to long COVID, she suggests.

We tend to hear about the more dramatic/aberrant behavior on airlines today with regard to following Federal mask mandates, so I wanted to share a recent experience.

I took a flight from KY to Boston this week. It was my first visit "home" in about 8 years, and my first time on a plane since the late 1990's.

On the two planes I occupied, and in the three airports I walked through, I witnessed zero drama.

Everyone I observed (except for two "nose show-ers" ) during my travels was wearing a mask correctly.

No one on board or in the terminal was complaining about it, either.

The staff seemed friendly and upbeat.

Just one person's experience.

We tend to hear about the more dramatic/aberrant behavior on airlines today with regard to following Federal mask mandates, so I wanted to share a recent experience.

I took a flight from KY to Boston this week. It was my first visit "home" in about 8 years, and my first time on a plane since the late 1990's.

On the two planes I occupied, and in the three airports I walked through, I witnessed zero drama.

Everyone I observed (except for two "nose show-ers" ) during my travels was wearing a mask correctly.

No one on board or in the terminal was complaining about it, either.

The staff seemed friendly and upbeat.

Just one person's experience.

It seems that the rare drama cases hit the press.

Did you have to show proof of vaccination? Was there any covid screening prior to boarding?

Two actors leave the soap opera ‘General Hospital’ over its vaccine mandate.

The actors, Steve Burton and Ingo Rademacher, were fixtures of ABC’s “General Hospital,” a long-running daytime drama set in the fictional town of Port Charles, N.Y.

About one in five American adults has not received a single dose of a coronavirus vaccine.

Mr. Burton and Mr. Rademacher were outspoken opponents of a coronavirus vaccine mandate that applied to a part of the set where actors work unmasked, known in the industry as Zone A. The mandate took effect on Nov. 1.

It seems that the rare drama cases hit the press.

Did you have to show proof of vaccination? Was there any covid screening prior to boarding?

No and no. Only International passengers needed a negative test. The only mention of vaccination came when the pilot reminded everyone that even vaccinated passengers needed to mask up.

Eta: This was Delta Airlines. Lol

Three in 10 Brits no longer self-isolate if they get Covid-like symptoms, official figures show | Daily Mail Online

Three in 10 Britons who develop Covid symptoms do not self-isolate while they wait on their test result, official figures show.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) — which surveyed 1,000 people in England earlier this month who had the virus — found 29 per cent did not stay at home when they started feelin ill.

And a quarter of people broke at least one isolation rule between the time they started feeling sick and their final negative test.

Both figures mark the lowest compliance with Covid isolation rules recorded since the ONS began surveying people across the country earlier this year.

They suggest attitudes towards the virus are becoming more lax. Nearly nine in 10 people were following the rules in the summer, for comparison.

However, the figures show that 93 per cent of people stuck to the stay-at-home requirements after their infection was confirmed by a positive result last month.

People in England are told to self-isolate — which means not leaving home or having any visitors, apart from those providing essential care — if they have Covid or suspect they are infected.

It only becomes a legal requirement to stay at home after testing positive, punishable with fines of up to £10,000.

It comes as separate ONS data last week revealed Britons are taking a more lax approach to Covid curbs, with nearly a third of under-30s giving up on wearing masks.

No and no. Only International passengers needed a negative test. The only mention of vaccination came when the pilot reminded everyone that even vaccinated passengers needed to mask up.

Eta: This was Delta Airlines. Lol
American has a short questionnaire you have to answer upon checking in before your flight.

It’s a checklist that prompts you to confirm that you have not been diagnosed with Covid-19 in the past 21 days and that you haven't had symptoms over the last two weeks such as a temperature of more than 100.4 degrees, a cough, chills, muscle aches or a sore throat.

Showing vaccine certificate - my sister traveled from Sweden/Copenhagen to Riga back in August & returned in October. She had to have a vaccine certification & her passport. And masks on plane & in the terminals. That was all - no quarantine when she got here or when she got home.

At all the stores that I went to today - I had to show my vaccine certificate & my ID. Got into all stores - and of course must wear a mask. All people at the mall that I went to were wearing masks. We have nice people that follow the rules here (Riga, Latvia)! :)

New Botswana variant with 32 'horrific' mutations is the most evolved Covid strain EVER | Daily Mail Online

British experts have sounded the alarm over a new Covid variant believed to have emerged in Botswana that is the most mutated version of the virus yet.

Only 10 cases of the strain, which could eventually be named 'Nu', have been detected so far.

But it has already been spotted in three countries, suggesting the variant is more widespread.

It carries 32 mutations, many of which suggest it is highly transmissible and vaccine-resistant, and has more alterations to its spike protein than any other variant.

Professor Francois Balloux, a geneticist at University College London, said it likely emerged in a lingering infection in an immunocompromised patient, possibly someone with undiagnosed AIDS.

Changes to the spike make it difficult for current jabs to fight off, because they train the immune system to recognise an older version of this part of the virus.

Dr Tom Peacock, a virologist at Imperial College who first picked up on its spread, described the variant's combination of mutations as 'horrific'.

He warned that B.1.1.529, its scientific name, had the potential to be 'worse than nearly anything else about' — including the world-dominant Delta strain.

We’ll ….that’s just fabulous :confused:

New Botswana variant with 32 'horrific' mutations is the most evolved Covid strain EVER | Daily Mail Online

British experts have sounded the alarm over a new Covid variant believed to have emerged in Botswana that is the most mutated version of the virus yet.

Only 10 cases of the strain, which could eventually be named 'Nu', have been detected so far.

But it has already been spotted in three countries, suggesting the variant is more widespread.

It carries 32 mutations, many of which suggest it is highly transmissible and vaccine-resistant, and has more alterations to its spike protein than any other variant.

Professor Francois Balloux, a geneticist at University College London, said it likely emerged in a lingering infection in an immunocompromised patient, possibly someone with undiagnosed AIDS.

Changes to the spike make it difficult for current jabs to fight off, because they train the immune system to recognise an older version of this part of the virus.

Dr Tom Peacock, a virologist at Imperial College who first picked up on its spread, described the variant's combination of mutations as 'horrific'.

He warned that B.1.1.529, its scientific name, had the potential to be 'worse than nearly anything else about' — including the world-dominant Delta strain.

More good news....sigh.

Oh god… can’t we just fast forward to Omega and get this thing over with.

All I know about Botswana is it’s home to the Kalahari desert and lots of wild animals. Hopefully, in a large country with a small population there will be less chance for it to cross borders.

EDIT I love these kids fact files, used them a lot when homeschooling. Here we have a Botswana 101:
Botswana Country Profile - National Geographic Kids

See, this is my favorite thing about Websleuths. We can "sleuth" ideas to help one another, and you feel I did for you.

What a lovely and caring community.

Happy and SAFE Thanksgiving to all...

Many, if not most, of us came to Websleuths to discuss missing persons, criminal cases, trials, *Breaking News* events, etc. We found a community of wonderful people who shared those interests and so much more. We have laughed and cried together and supported one another in times of crisis or need. Websleuthers have been here for each other as we experience the global health dilemma that has impacted every one of us. I'm thankful to have this forum to visit daily to help cope with the ongoing pandemic. I wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving and hope that you and yours have safe travels and stay well during the holiday season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa