GUILTY GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #6

I agree. I don't think any of us will ever forget seeing this young man killed and knowing his fear and pain in that moment on the street alone. Breaks my heart every time I think about it. This brings some small measure of justice. I keep hoping that one of these men will express some remorse, but I guess that won't happen.

I find myself thinkng about his fear-- which went on for a long time- his wondering why these men were chasing him, yelling for him to stop, and him trying desperately to get away from them- but they would not allow him to get
away or live-- they will have lots of time rotting their lives away in prison to ask themselves, was it worth it to get that black man they hated so much

But parole, even if granted, comes after a minimum of 30 years. Absent reversal upon appeal, Greg isn't likely to leave prison alive.

EXPLAINER: What are the charges in Ahmaud Arbery's killing? | AP News

The sentence for felony murder and malice murder is exactly the same,” said University of Georgia law professor emeritus Ron Carlson. “It is a distinction without a difference in terms of punishment.”

The minimum penalty is life in prison. It is up to the judge to decide whether that comes with or without the possibility of parole. Even if the possibility of parole is granted, a person convicted of murder must serve 30 years before becoming eligible.

Jurors in Georgia are not supposed to consider the potential penalty when deliberating on guilt or innocence, as sentencing is up to the judge. Many defense attorneys believe jurors should be allowed to consider the consequences of their decisions, particularly since they may be confused about the distinction between malice and felony murder and may believe felony murder is less serious and comes with a lower penalty.

I wondered about that too, whether it would have made a difference in their verdicts. It's a life sentence for all but perhaps TM.

I'm very happy hearing these verdicts. I'm still so very sad for Ahmauds family, and for TM's son. So many lives will never be the same because of the senseless choices made that day.

I hadn't thought about TM's son. And I know that they brought it up in trial - that TM had to shoot because he was thinking of his son and if AA got his gun and shot him.

But in actuality, if TM really was thinking of his son, he wouldn't have put himself in this position. He may have had coast guard training, and maybe in the past showing someone a weapon made the person flee. But here, he showed the weapon and didn't allow AA to flee. What was AA supposed to do? TM had plenty of opportunities to retreat and he didn't. He made a conscious choice.

This just verdict happened because of several facts:

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation took over from the good ol boy police department - If they had not intervened this day would not have occurred

Roddy was arrogant enough to think taking that video would show what a great thing he and the McMichaels did that day when they murdered a young black man in cold blood- that video helped seal the guilty verdict

The jury was smart and thoughtful

Linda D. hit it out of the park- she is an amazing prosecutor-----

The judge is blessed with good demeanor and had control of his courtroom
THIS! This, this, this... All of this! I couldn't say it better.

I'd also add another fact about why this just verdict finally happened: Ahmaud's mother (and his other friends and family, but mom deserves so much credit for this just verdict). Her persistence to try and get to the truth and to not be brushed off by the Glynn County Prosecutor's department, and to not be brushed off by the Brunswick/Ware County Prosecutor George Barnhill who'd decided not to charge the 3 men. She would not let them brush this under the rug and had she not kept pushing, I doubt RB's video would have ever gotten leaked, and these men might not have been brought to justice.

I have watched Wanda Cooper-Jones continuously carry herself with dignity, patience, and respect in her pursuit for the truth of what happened to her son on that fateful February day. I pray that she is able to find some small level of peace this Thanksgiving eve.

I hadn't thought about TM's son. And I know that they brought it up in trial - that TM had to shoot because he was thinking of his son and if AA got his gun and shot him.

But in actuality, if TM really was thinking of his son, he wouldn't have put himself in this position. He may have had coast guard training, and maybe in the past showing someone a weapon made the person flee. But here, he showed the weapon and didn't allow AA to flee. What was AA supposed to do? TM had plenty of opportunities to retreat and he didn't. He made a conscious choice.

"But here, he showed the weapon and didn't allow AA to flee."

Exactly. Ahmad tried to flee for 5 minutes with the M's chasing and yelling at him but the M's wouldn't let him flee. Then Greg is yelling at him to stop or he will shoot and Travis confronts him with a rifle. So the next option was to fight.

Travis's defense that he pulled the gun to de-escalate the attack is bs.

I hadn't heard that TM said that. I haven't watched the whole trial though. I did hear the portion that TM was trying to put his son to sleep on the couch when his dad ran in.

I wanted to carry this lovely article forward from thread #4 (thank you for the original post, @sds71) - just felt like an appropriate tribute to the Brunswick community after this verdict, for any who missed it
Ahmaud Arbery’s old football team turned angst into love — and a perfect season

GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #4

direct link to the article: Ahmaud Arbery’s old football team turned angst into love — and a perfect season

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back