Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #102

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but just look around you, does it look like the majority of people here in the US are taking the pandemic seriously? A new variant? why take it any more seriously than they dealing with run of the mill Delta!!!!! If I didn't know there was a pandemic, I wouldn't know there was a pandemic, if you get my drift- parades, football games- malls packed with shoppers, all the while the virus is exploding in some states (like Michigan where I live for example- hospitals are filled to the max)- still many people are not masked up at grocery stores- and life goes on like pre-pandemic times. I just keep SMH cause I just cannot grasp it!- Fauci needs to look around and see reality

I agree with you 100%. But the fact is, Dr. Fauci is an optimist. I've learned to accept that. Even the Doctors they have on reality based news networks like CNN & MSNBC often convey what might be, if we, as a nation, were to take the virus seriously. I can't help but believe that deep down, they don't think that's realistic at all.

I guess if someone like Dr. Fauci were to come out like some of us, and be honest about how F&*KED we are, and how PATHETIC America has been in dealing with the pandemic, it would cause even more depression and disillusionment. It sounds so much better to hear Dr. Fauci say that IF we did all the right things, we could move into an endemic status by Spring, rather than have him say we could move to that status by Spring 2024, because Americans don't give a S&*t, and so we're going to continue losing 1,000, 1,500, 2,000 Americans per day indefinitely.

Remember when he said that we needed 70% vaccinated to achieve herd immunity, but then quickly pivoted to 85%, due to the more virulent strains that began circulating, like Delta? Well, he hasn't talked about it since.

Because, like I've said all along, WE ARE GOING TO STRUGGLE TO ACHIEVE 70% WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE. I'm 55, and 5' 5", and I have a better chance of getting signed to play Center for the Lakers, than America has of reaching 85%. We'll be lucky to get to 70%, and that won't even happen until well into 2022. MAYBE.

With the emergence of the new variant, I am glad that local family members could to gather for Thanksgiving because we don't know what it will be like for Christmas or New Year's. As much as DH and I would have enjoyed a winter vacation in early 2022, I'm glad that we didn't book a cruise or purchase airline tickets. Who knows how this new variant will impact travel in the coming months? Will the Winter Olympic Games have to be cancelled or will certain countries not want to compete due to new cases of Covid? Like others have said in earlier posts, "prepare for the worst, but hope for the best." I had hoped that we were in the home stretch toward the end of Covid, but it seems that the finish line is further away than ever with the latest virus variant. JMO

Last edited:
...Because, like I've said all along, WE ARE GOING TO STRUGGLE TO ACHIEVE 70% WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE. I'm 55, and 5' 5", and I have a better chance of getting signed to play Center for the Lakers, than America has of reaching 85%. We'll be lucky to get to 70%, and that won't even happen until well into 2022. MAYBE.

<respectfully snipped>

LOL! Will you come here and clean my monitor? I laughed so hard that I spit out my coffee! Thanks for the laugh :D Off to get some paper towels...

Over the coming weeks, I feel as if many Americans, like myself, who want to get booster shots, will be forced to decide whether to do so immediately, or wait and see how this Omicron strain develops.

If the drug companies do have to tweak the formula of the booster shots to better protect against this new strain, it's going to be January/February, at the earliest, before those vaccines become widely available.

I literally was going next week to get my booster shot at Costco. The chances I'm still going to do so have dropped to near zero, and I will probably wait to see if they give any indication how much protection the current boosters provide against the Omicron strain. I guess I'm choosing to accept a higher risk in the short term, for the opportunity to get lower risk over the longer term, and not have to get another booster in 3 months, should Omicron turn out to be the worst strain yet.

I can't help but think that I'm not alone, and that the # getting booster shots may very well slow over the coming days/weeks, while more data comes in as to the effectiveness of the current vaccines against Omicron.

Over the coming weeks, I feel as if many Americans, like myself, who want to get booster shots, will be forced to decide whether to do so immediately, or wait and see how this Omicron strain develops.

If the drug companies do have to tweak the formula of the booster shots to better protect against this new strain, it's going to be January/February, at the earliest, before those vaccines become widely available.

I literally was going next week to get my booster shot at Costco. The chances I'm still going to do so have dropped to near zero, and I will probably wait to see if they give any indication how much protection the current boosters provide against the Omicron strain. I guess I'm choosing to accept a higher risk in the short term, for the opportunity to get lower risk over the longer term, and not have to get another booster in 3 months, should Omicron turn out to be the worst strain yet.

I can't help but think that I'm not alone, and that the # getting booster shots may very well slow over the coming days/weeks, while more data comes in as to the effectiveness of the current vaccines against Omicron.
Dr. Fauci recommends getting a booster as soon as eligible. Waiting with waning protection is not a good idea. It will take a while (if ever) for variant specific vaccines to be approved.

I was planning for my booster next week as well. I am still going to proceed. While we don’t know yet the impacts Omicron will have on the current vaccines, I recognize that the historical strands are still circulating in my region and that remains at the forefront of my mind.

I'm still going for my booster next week. With a flu shot thrown in as an optional extra.

I think I'd rather work with the facts we have at the mo, and go with the advice we have now. Otherwise we are trying to second guess what may bes.

It's a v personal choice though and I understand where you're coming from.

Last edited:
Dr. Fauci recommends getting a booster as soon as eligible. Waiting with waning protection is not a good idea. It will take a while (if ever) for variant specific vaccines to be approved.
Fair enough, but what good will be achieved by boosting now, if in a month, scientists say that the current vaccine boosters only provide something like 20% protection against the new strain, that by then, will be dominant and spreading like wildfire?

To be honest, it's not so much December that I'm worried about. It's January. With Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Year's, this strain, which is 100% guaranteed already spreading, is going to soon be OUT OF CONTROL.

By the time America, and in fact other countries, wake up to a reality of perhaps the most contagious strain to come along, we'll be in January, and probably back to 200,000 New Cases & 2,000 Deaths each day.

I feel fairly certain we'll have a better idea in the next 1-2 weeks, how things are going to go down. But by then, it will be too late. The way people are acting now, as if the pandemic is far behind us, it's already too late. If Omicron is a super charged version of Delta, we're going to be facing some really extreme levels of disruption and death, for the next 4-5 months at a minimum.

Proactive measures in NewYork.

New York Declares State Of Emergency To Hike Hospital Capacity Ahead Of Omicron Variant

"....while the new Omicron variant has yet to be detected in New York State, it’s coming,” NY Governor Kathy Hochul."

She is right I fear...it is coming.

New York Declares State Of Emergency To Hike Hospital Capacity Ahead Of Omicron Variant

For the THIRD time, I've had to cancel my trip to the Netherlands to see family. My cousins, who were so very careful and are fully vaccinated, contracted Covid...as did 4 of the grandchildren.
And now this Omicron strain on the horizon too.....:(

Fair enough, but what good will be achieved by boosting now, if in a month, scientists say that the current vaccine boosters only provide something like 20% protection against the new strain, that by then, will be dominant and spreading like wildfire?

To be honest, it's not so much December that I'm worried about. It's January. With Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Year's, this strain, which is 100% guaranteed already spreading, is going to soon be OUT OF CONTROL.

By the time America, and in fact other countries, wake up to a reality of perhaps the most contagious strain to come along, we'll be in January, and probably back to 200,000 New Cases & 2,000 Deaths each day.

I feel fairly certain we'll have a better idea in the next 1-2 weeks, how things are going to go down. But by then, it will be too late. The way people are acting now, as if the pandemic is far behind us, it's already too late. If Omicron is a super charged version of Delta, we're going to be facing some really extreme levels of disruption and death, for the next 4-5 months at a minimum.

Getting your booster seems especially important for getting through the winter. Delta will continue to be a threat, until maybe Omicron becomes the prevailing variant :(, IMO. I'm not sure how much more we'll know in 1-2 weeks.

Fauci says omicron variant could be ‘red flag,’ urges COVID-19 boosters for all

Excerpt (BBM):

As people return home from their Thanksgiving travels, Fauci said the most important line of protection will continue to be getting vaccinated or getting a booster dose, despite not knowing whether or not the vaccines will adequately protect against the new strain.

"I keep saying it over and over, the next couple of months are going to be up to us. I mean, we, right now, have a tool, a very effective tool. We have too many people, 60 million people or so, who are adults who are eligible for vaccination who are not vaccinated. We’ve got to get them vaccinated, there’s no reason whatsoever not to vaccinate them. We also know that the boosters, and this is really very, very clear, the boosters increase the level of protection dramatically," Fauci stressed.

"Particularly in those individuals who have waning protection and we do know it’s a fact that after several months, people, particularly the elderly, but across the board in the age group, you have the deminution in protection over several months, which is the reason why we’re recommending that everyone 18 years or older who has received the vaccine, get the booster. You get a booster now, you can get into the winter and have a higher degree of protection. That’s the reason why we’re pushing so hard for people to ‘A,’ get vaccinated in the first place if you’re not vaccinated and ‘B,’ if you have been vaccinated and you’re six months or more following the mRNA or two months or more following the J&J, go get your booster. It really is important as we enter into this colder winter season," Fauci said.

What good it is boosting now, is that you won't get infected right now after boosting. What you suggest is waiting for months for something that might not even happen (omicron specific booster), during which time you can get infected.

Proactive measures in NewYork.

"....while the new Omicron variant has yet to be detected in New York State, it’s coming,” NY Governor Kathy Hochul."

She is right I fear...it is coming.

For the THIRD time, I've had to cancel my trip to the Netherlands to see family. My cousins, who were so very careful and are fully vaccinated, contracted Covid...as did 4 of the grandchildren.
And now this Omicron strain on the horizon too.....:(

I hope your cousins are doing all right. It's too bad about your trip being repeatedly canceled.

Re Boosters

COVID is our new reality. It’s not going away anytime soon.

Please do not delay the booster shots, they may be critical to your well being over the winter.

IF/WHEN there is more data on the new variant, we may well be in a position where we need further boosters.

But, it was already likely that yearly COVID boosters were on the horizon due to Delta.

It is a personal matter but I’d rather be safe than fight COVID.

How are they identifying this "variant"? I thought that the current Covid tests, only test for the Covid-19, how does the test distinguish between the variants?

Stopping travel starting Monday is completely ridiculous. It reminds me of the hordes of people crushed into planes coming to the United States in March. All coughing on each other, off the plane in Atlanta, to transfer to other planes to go to their homes in FL, CA, TX, WA...great plan.

Re Boosters

COVID is our new reality. It’s not going away anytime soon.

Please do not delay the booster shots, they may be critical to your well being over the winter.

IF/WHEN there is more data on the new variant, we may well be in a position where we need further boosters.

But, it was already likely that yearly COVID boosters were on the horizon due to Delta.

It is a personal matter but I’d rather be safe than fight COVID.
Very well said! It's crucial IMO to get the boosters. I had mine 3 weeks ago. When something else comes down the turnpike (which it inevitably will, or has) I will get that vaccine too. It's exhausting I know. But for those of us of a certain age (which includes me) it's critical that we stay on top of it.

How are they identifying this "variant"? I thought that the current Covid tests, only test for the Covid-19, how does the test distinguish between the variants?

Stopping travel starting Monday is completely ridiculous. It reminds me of the hordes of people crushed into planes coming to the United States in March. All coughing on each other, off the plane in Atlanta, to transfer to other planes to go to their homes in FL, CA, TX, WA...great plan.

I don't believe that the test distinguishes between the variants. The test checks for the coronavirus, which if present, can be harvested and examined further in order to tell what strain it is.

I'm still going for my booster next week. With a flu shot thrown in as an optional extra.

I think I'd rather work with the facts we have at the mo, and go with the advice we have now. Otherwise we are trying to second guess what may bes.

It's a v personal choice though and I understand where you're coming from.

I'd agree. Had my booster , and flu jab in the other arm, a couple of weeks ago. Two sore arms but otherwise ok.

Having just watched the 5PM press conference here with Boris et al I think it was very clear that they don't want people to delay boosters because of this. It will take at least 100 days to get a tweaked vaccine/booster launched, we could be talking maybe even 6 months before most of us might get it. And it's all theoretical at the moment.

The other main point from the press conference for me was the tightening up of rules on face coverings in shops and public transport. Common sense at last on that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaylorCEllis