PA PA - Philadelphia, WhtFem 40-60, UP17721, upper denture w/D Spizzirri, frontal lobotomy, May'72

I was reviewing ancestry info late last night and thoroughly confused myself with a 1930 census record with Frank and wife Hannah and two daughters Marguerite (age 11 & Dorothy age 7) living at 803 Karlov Ave, Chicago IL. Maybe I will have time to reconcile all this info later today (after lots more coffee to lessen my brain fog). :confused: Anyone who can help (as I don't think it's really too difficult, it's just me :oops:) please feel free! :)

I was reviewing ancestry info late last night and thoroughly confused myself with a 1930 census record with Frank and wife Hannah and two daughters Marguerite (age 11 & Dorothy age 7) living at 803 Karlov Ave, Chicago IL. Maybe I will have time to reconcile all this info later today (after lots more coffee to lessen my brain fog). :confused: Anyone who can help (as I don't think it's really too difficult, it's just me :oops:) please feel free! :)

Hi there @fred&edna

I think the Dorothy you came up with is not "our" D.
This is her grave. Dorothy Agnes Spizzirri Curran (1923-1987) - Find...

Hi there @fred&edna

I think the Dorothy you came up with is not "our" D.
This is her grave. Dorothy Agnes Spizzirri Curran (1923-1987) - Find...

I saw that. That Dorothy married young (well, I guess she was about 17) as there is a high school picture with her name listed as "Curran". I didn't really pay a great deal of attention to the marriage record, though. I suppose there were two Frank Spizzari/Spizzarri's born in Italy 10 years apart, one lived in Chicago and worked for the railroad as a clerk (married to Hannah), the other lived in NY and worked for the WPA (married to Anna). For some reason the two daughters names and some dates have me puzzled. I haven't revisited those two census reports (1930 and 1940) since the other night... so I haven't reconciled it all in my head... yet! 'Knowing me it may take awhile to see it clearly. :)

Maybe we are just to focused on the name Dorothy. Italian names for girls with a D.

Dafne Dalida
Dalila Damiana
Daniela Daria
Deanna Debora
Degna Delfina
Delia Delinda
Delizia Demetria
Deodata Desdemona
Desiderata Devota
Diamante Diana
Dianora Diletta
Dina Diodata
Dionisia Doda
Dolores Domenica
Donata Donatella
Donna Dora
Dorotea Druina
Dulina

Richard D. Spizzirri
I found an obituary for a Richard D. Spizzirri from Colorado. He was married to a Lucy Irvine Forkner. This wedding announcement from June 1957 has a photo of the bride.
LUCY I.FORKNER IS MARRIED HERE; Wed to Richard D. Spizzirri, Harvard Law Student, in Central Presbyterian According to Richard's obit and the wedding announcement they had connections to locations on the east coast. I'm not suggesting she is D. Spizzirri but I do find it odd that they divorced in 1971. The obit lists names of their children. I wonder if Lucy is still alive or was involved in their lives after 1972. I had no luck finding anything on a Lucy Irvine Forkner Spizzirri. Perhaps a look into this family tree will reveal more info on D. Spizzirri. I wish pics were available of the dentures so we could see whether the initial is clearly a "D".

I found a Lucy F Spizziri (age 37) later remarried a man named Thomas A. Greene in 1972 in greenwich conneticut ( I am sorry, spelling the state names is difficult to me -_-)

On the other hand, I did find a Augustine Frank Spizzerri (saw someone mention the name Frank) who attended University of Lockhaven ,3 hours away from Pennsulvania, I also found an old address which places him in steelton. That is in Harrisburg. Which in turn had Pennsylvania State Lunatic Hospital and Union Asylum for the Insane back in the 1970s. Maybe others asylums were around as well?

Could be she had a child, hence the c-section scar. I am a little surprised it was carried to term. Of course not all who had a lobotomy ended up, in a bad way. Despite a dismal success-rate of 1/3, they kept on it for several decades. Lobotomy as a cure,and general popularity seemed to wane in the 1950's and by 1967, when a doctor attempted a different version, which ended in the patients death, it was pretty much shelved. So chances are she got it sometime before that. Namus suggests 20 years prior, so that sounds about right.

Women tended to get thrown into asylums for various reasons, moreso than men. Dyslexia, hysteria, anxiety, post-partum depression, wandering womb....(yes...that used to be a medical term.)
Patients in mental asylums, if they were biters or acted rowdy, would often have their teeth removed so they could not hurt staff or other patients. They would also remove them if they were in a poor state and were a health-risk for the patient. So it does make it seem more likely. Though it would seem odd that they then would let her have dentures.

She was likely born between 1900-1930 ish, going by the estimated age.

I am not sure she was murdered in 1972 either, in the article it says:
upload_2021-11-28_21-19-7.png
"Her body, still unidentified was found in a vacant house at 620 w. montgomery avenue, last may 7" Which would indicate previous year rather than a couple months before. It also would be rather soon to put up 4000 dollars in reward money. In the 70's this was a lot of money.

The article here, states this was published on July 7th, 1972
upload_2021-11-28_21-21-27.png

Is it possible that she was murdered in 1971?

I am unable to access more newspapers, but another account seem to indicate another address, 610 west Montgomery rather than 620, but that could be a typo. But here it claims it to be 7th May 1972
upload_2021-11-28_21-30-23.png

I am not sure she was murdered in 1972 either, in the article it says:

"Her body, still unidentified was found in a vacant house at 620 w. montgomery avenue, last may 7" Which would indicate previous year rather than a couple months before. It also would be rather soon to put up 4000 dollars in reward money. In the 70's this was a lot of money.

Is it possible that she was murdered in 1971?

1972 is correct. Attached article snippet from the Philly Inquirer, Monday, May 8, 1972. (disregard incorrect date in link - it will open to 5/8/72 article. This often happens with links to newspapers.com. Have no idea why.)
Additionally, the ME Case # is 72-2456, the 72 indicating the year she was found.

31 Dec 1969, - at Newspapers.com

Attachments

• UP 17721 Spizzirri F.JPG
    UP 17721 Spizzirri F.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 18
1972 is correct. Attached article snippet from the Philly Inquirer, Monday, May 8, 1972.
Additionally, the ME Case # is 72-2456, the 72 indicating the year she was found.

31 Dec 1969, - at Newspapers.com

Thank you so much! I don't have newspaper.com access. I just found the phrasing very odd. Add in that she was listed with a bunch of unsolved cases in the article as well. Rather quick to call it cold/unsolved, but it is a correct statement.

Sadly the link does not work :<

There are also several Spizzerri, a couple of Spizzari, a few Spizerri and Spizzeri, and at least one Spizzere over the years in the PA/NJ area, so those could be other possibilities. Sadly, if this woman really had a lobotomy in the 1950s, this could be another Rosemary Kennedy situation where she was institutionalized and not acknowledged by family for years, possibly being forgotten by younger or more distant members of the family. Deinstitutionalism was starting to gain momentum in the years leading up to this woman's death, which could have left her alone and vulnerable.

As far as the abdominal scarring, NamUs references "Laparotomy and Partial Right Oophorectomy" and "Appendectomy." It sounds like her uterus, left ovary, and part of her right ovary were still intact, so she was not sterilized. I looked into why one might have part of an ovary removed, and cysts (73%) predominated, with endometriosis and tumors being other indicators. Laparascopic (minimally invasive) appendectomies were first done in 1980, so the incision could be associated with either the oopherectomy or the appendectomy or both.

I find it interesting that her prefrontal lobotomies were done bilaterally and not in the "ice pick" transorbital style that was popular in the 1940s, wherein a sharp object is literally shoved into the brain through the eye socket. Hers were neatly hidden on her scalp, indicating that they were done by a neurosurgeon in an OR, not a psychiatrist at a mental institution. Lobotomies were also apparently popular in Italy, which may come into play with her presumed surname. They fell out of favor with the advent of modern antipsychotics, specifically the introduction of chlorpromazine in 1954, although they continued to be performed after that--Walter Freeman, who popularized the procedure in the US, did his last one in 1967. He died, interestingly, in his hometown of Philadelphia, in the same month and year as this Jane Doe.

I found reference to Byberry, aka Philadelphia State Hospital, Byberry State Hospital, Byberry City Farms, or the Philadelphia Hospital for Mental Diseases, which would have been open both when this woman was lobotomized and at the time of her death. A paper in 1962, Lobotomy in Western Pennsylvania: Looking Backward Over Ten Years, includes data from 104 people who were treated at Western State School and Hospital. It would have still been Pennsylvania Industrial Training School at the time she was believed to have been lobotomized, though. There are seriously a shocking number of well-populated mental institutions in Pennsylvania that were doing or prescribing lobotomies in the 1940s and 1950s, and, with the type of lobotomy she had, she could well have received the surgery in a regular hospital and been living outside of an institution depending on her degree of disability.

that is interesting about the Daurtha spelling.. maybe a typo.. everything was written by hand then. Maybe the person (who wrote the birth certificate) wrote it as they heard it and heard it by someone who had an accent. When it's actually spelled Dorothy but the person heard Daurtha

Handwriting is plausible, but I wonder if it could be similar to what happened with my grandmother's family. She was Bohemian; the sisters were María, Elisabeta, Alicía, and Helena, but when they registered in the census, they were changed to Mary, Elizabeth, Alice, and Helen. My grandmother (Alicía) was still pissed about it 70 years later and unhappy with how ugly the name she had to go by sounded to her ears.

Seems like I missed a lot of posts on this thread, can’t add much.

NamUs has no ruleouts at all

1950 census has no children living with Frank and Anna Spizzirri (if that’s still a possible connection)

Handwriting is plausible, but I wonder if it could be similar to what happened with my grandmother's family. She was Bohemian; the sisters were María, Elisabeta, Alicía, and Helena, but when they registered in the census, they were changed to Mary, Elizabeth, Alice, and Helen. My grandmother (Alicía) was still pissed about it 70 years later and unhappy with how ugly the name she had to go by sounded to her ears.
Recognizable, but in another way. When I researched my grandmothers family tree, I had letters from her brother and sisters signed with their names, but they were all called different (for short, nickname) in daily life then their official names. I can totally imagine that your grandmother was pissed 's when her name was changed. I would be too. Alicia is so easy to pronounced in English, so why change it. The pronunciation of my name in other languages has been a reason for a good laugh now and then.

The D. for this lady was probably a beautiful Italian given name. At first I thought this case was so solvable, but after so much time passed with no 'eureka' moment I think we should start looking for other names instead of Dorothy or maybe even something completely different. Could she have had another name and she was referred to by Ms. D. Spizzirri and this name is her husbands name?

After reading this 1991 news report about Pilgrim Psych Hospital (in Brentwood NY) patients who underwent lobotomies years prior, I'm hesitant to believe the UID lived on her own - even though she reportedly had a "house key". I wonder where she actually resided. I can't remember if the nearest Philadelphia psychiatric hospitals have been discussed - and would patient records still exist somewhere? It seems so sad to think she lived such a problematic life and died by homicide... without her identity being realized.

Not that it helps in identifying her but I also noticed she had Meckel's diverticulum, so maybe some of the abdominal scars were related to associated symptoms/problems?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back