Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sep 2014 - #65

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep not hard to erect some screening. The public don't need to be privy to everything. This search seems to be inviting media coverage. Can you imagine being William's bio mum seeing them find a Spiderman suit. Totally unnecessary IMO

I think if anything extremely personal was found media would be instructed not to broadcast the item/s maybe under suppression orders issued. IMO there will be items discovered at current search scenes that we are not aware of and more likely will not be aware of such items until if and when a prosecution proceeds.

Agree, but I think in the WT case the media are being kept at a distance from the work and only allowed to video what police deem appropriate. In his recent media update, DCS Darren Bennett thanked the media for their conduct at the sites. See at 3:22 here:

Yes, 100% agree and did not mention this in my previous post. IMO media are only reporting finds after being approved by the police.

Well spotted on the DCS Bennett thanking the media, a little proverbial nod and wink...

Our oldest child was going to be taken from his birthmother at birth, by Children's Services, because of incidents with her older children. She knew they were taking him so she set up a private adoption so she could have a say in where he ended up.

I understand about forced adoption in Australia. Wed had the same thing with Native American children here in the states. To this day, no one can adopt a child with Native American ancestry. They have to go through tribal jurisdiction.

No matter the situation, there is an important synastry and tension within the triad of fostered/adopted children and their two families. I think it is important because the criticism of the foster family here is something that maybe needs to be looked at from other angles---not just the super critical, negative lens that seems to be used the most. JMO

Nobody is looking at them badly because they were Foster parents. People are looking at them badly because their foster child went missing and wasn't properly supervised at best, the foster mother is now a POI, and they've been charged with allegedly assaulting their other foster child IMO.

Vis-a-vis the unofficial backgrounding of journos by police (my bolding):

When Detective Chief Superintendent Darren Bennett fronted the cameras, about 8:30am, he said: "It's painstaking. It's difficult … we're very happy with the progress so far, but we've got no great milestone to report."

Earlier this month, he said "new information" had led to the renewed search.

Officers have been scouring an area about 900 metres from where the boy was last seen, at his late foster-grandmother's home.

It's now the new search zone.

Why now and why this area after so many years?

Very few members of the force's top brass can answer this — they fear doing so could compromise any chance of a breakthrough.

The theory being explored is that William Tyrrell died after falling from the balcony of the home on September 12, 2014.

Police believe his foster-grandmother's car — which is undergoing forensic examination — could have been used to dispose of his body off Batar Creek Road and Cobb and Co Road.

After 13 days of searching for William Tyrrell, authorities have uncovered more questions

I don't know whether Police have the power to prevent media coverage of a search site.

I would imagine Police are able to set up a crime scene exclusionary barrier but they cannot IMO stop anyone using long range lens to capture footage whilst the photographer is positioned back from the barrier.

Rock and a hard place situation. We would complain if we couldn't view images of searches. When we are shown such images its too much coverage. IMO

Stand to be corrected.

I agree. The search was going to be covered by the media anyway, it's in such a public place. It's not like they had much choice. IMO

I think she is referring to nswpol timeline rather than FC’s.

on the ping - I think this has changed IMO there is still data to obtain?

Can your phone be pinged if it is turned off?

Perhaps most crucially, a device can still be tracked, and its location discovered, even if cellular is turned off the phone. That's because phones are typically receiving data through two other very important wireless signals: Wi-Fi and also Bluetooth. 5 Aug 2020

NSA: Your phone can give up your location, even when cellular is turned off

So basically unless the perpetrator didn’t have a mobile phone they pinged off the tower in Kendall on the day William disappeared and their name is in the file.

Theoretically, but only if they were within range of mobile towers, and that area has a reputation for poor mobile phone service. This from 2014:

Other resident spoke of black spots on the Pacific Highway, Lake Cathie, Camden Haven and Kendall

Locals not impressed with our mobile network

Theoretically, but only if they were within range of mobile towers, and that area has a reputation for poor mobile phone service. This from 2014:

Other resident spoke of black spots on the Pacific Highway, Lake Cathie, Camden Haven and Kendall

Locals not impressed with our mobile network

Yes but there was coverage at the house wasn't there (just) and if they drove towards town it got stronger .. etc.

Telstra (Australia) Cell Tower Map

If they drove North they would have driven straight into another tower with signal also, the coverage map shows that there was coverage on the Pacific Highway, pretty much unbroken.

That isn't correct. After GJ was no longer on the case.......

"Through tears, she said she begged Mr Cook not to give up on William, now missing for more than five years. She said he assured her he would be sending the files to the cold case room as soon as the coronial inquest was over."

Gary Jubelin trial: William Tyrrell’s foster mum feared oblivion of ‘cold case box’ (theaustralian.com.au)

Thanks for the link. (Cook looks awfully shifty in that photo. Caught at an unfortunate angle. :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck