Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #84

Status
Not open for further replies.
People could just be target shooting. Are they sure they were not nail holes from hanging lanterns and hammocks and trash bags? That "gun" looks like a common wood cutout in his bedroom. You can buy them from shops like Hobby Lobby. moo

It really doesn't matter if you believe that is a gun or not in BL's bedroom. <modsnip - no link> It is not much of a stretch of the imagination to think he would take his gun on the camping trip with Gabby. And now we know BL committed suicide with a gun.

If you google bullet holes in trees, you will see that they look a very specific way that is very different from nail holes. If you compare the bullet holes in the crime scene photos to the photos online of verified bullet holes in trees you will see that they match. The bullet holes are at different levels. Some are low enough they might have been from target practice. Others are at the level of Gabby's torso or head. Hard to know exactly what happened without the FBI's report. But modern day campers normally don't put nail holes into living trees to hang stuff. That's a major no-no.

At Grand Teton you use a bear box for trash bags, you cannot hang trash from trees there as it would attract bears and other wildlife to your campsite which would be dangerous and if you got caught nailing a trash bag to a tree, the fine would be upwards of $5,000. Also, if you look at photos of BL's hammock, it is tied to the trees with a bowline knot, never nailed. This technique protects the trees from damage and keeps the hammock secured.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how often LE decides to hold back information from the public.

Yesterday I read a bunch of info about how LE categorizes someone as armed and dangerous. It was a bit all over the place so please consider this an opinion rather than a fact.

IMO, I learned that "armed and dangerous" is usually an in-house LE term used to describe the caution needed when arresting a suspect. When they release an "armed and dangerous" ABP to the public it means "do not approach," normal interaction with this person can get you killed. MOO

In this situation, I agree with Glamourkitty 199%. IMO there were too many BL sightings to safely release an APB to the general public. People were going to end up shooting the new barista at their local Starbucks on his way home from work. Remember the Appalachian Trail guy, he held a whole nutty conversation with BL who was of course already deceased at that time.

It really doesn't matter if you believe that is a gun or not in BL's bedroom. BL's co-workers at Publix have verified that he owned a guy and had a permit for concealed carry and they saw him concealed carry frequently. It is not much of a stretch of the imagination to think he would take his gun on the camping trip with Gabby. And now we know BL committed suicide with a gun.

If you google bullet holes in trees, you will see that they look a very specific way that is very different from nail holes. If you compare the bullet holes in the crime scene photos to the photos online of verified bullet holes in trees you will see that they match. The bullet holes are at different levels. Some are low enough they might have been from target practice. Others are at the level of Gabby's torso or head. Hard to know exactly what happened without the FBI's report. But modern day campers normally don't put nail holes into living trees to hang stuff. That's a major no-no.

At Grand Teton you use a bear box for trash bags, you cannot hang trash from trees there as it would attract bears and other wildlife to your campsite which would be dangerous and if you got caught nailing a trash bag to a tree, the fine would be upwards of $5,000. Also, if you look at photos of BL's hammock, it is tied to the trees with a bowline knot, never nailed. This technique protects the trees from damage and keeps the hammock secured.

@NCWatcher post about the bedroom:

"But there's no evidence that's B's room and plenty of evidence to say it's not."

That image of a bedroom was shown in a 2017 ad to sell the FL Laundrie home purchased in 2015. The home obviously didn't sell.

Inside Brian Laundrie's bedroom as Gabby Petito's homicide confirmed

It's not at all clear BL lived there then so despite what some MSM stories say, it's not clear that's a picture of his bedroom, much less of "his gun." I'm not sure it's a real gun anyway-- no one is likely to store a real gun that way IMO.

According to a widely published story, BL worked in a Long Island garden center in 2017 & 2018. So it's likely he didn't live in FL during the time the picture could have been taken.

Brian Laundrie’s former co-worker remembers him as ‘chameleon’ and ‘weirdo’ who sometimes lost temper

It has been hypothesized that either that's a picture of a tenant's bedroom or the pictures in the ad were the same pictures used when the home was purchased on 2015. But there's no evidence that's B's room and plenty of evidence to say it's not.
  • 50939411-10240277-A_gun_painted_in_the_likeness_of_an_American_flag_circled_in_red-a-29_1637867913148.jpg
  • Where is Brian Laundrie's gun? | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Found this interesting article today. "Kaplan said he believes investigators may be looking into whether anyone helped Laundrie escape police surveillance and stay hidden." I wonder if LE has video of BL coming out of the Laundrie house and driving off in the Mustang. We had the story that BL's father allegedly went to search for him the evening BL went hiking and also the next day but supposedly didn't find him. Was CL really searching for BL or was he doing something else? Of note, the experts in this article also question if someone else was involved in Gabby's murder. Finally the article mentions no gun was found with BL's remains which may not be unusual due to the flooding. IMO this article will result in lots of locals searching for the gun. :
Two local experts intrigued by what's not in Brian Laundrie's autopsy report

The linked news story was interesting until I read this sentence: "Both men said given that the area where Laundrie was found had been underwater for some time, it’s completely possible the gun just floated away."

I found the idea that a gun "floated away" completely ludicrous-- guns don't float, whether they be loaded with bullets or not.

On the previous thread someone asked what is the significance of the alleged bullet holes at Gabby's crime scene.

I think it is most likely that they were from hunters since they were camped on a legal hunting ground, however, what if some are not? What if some can be tied back to BL? If they are related, then it is possible that they paint a completely different picture of what happened. Another thing to consider is the we don't have Gabby's full autopsy results. We know she died of manual strangulation/throttling. We don't know what other injuries she may have had or the nature of those injuries.

We do know from people who worked with BL at Publix that he allegedly had a concealed carry weapon license and was often armed at work. There is the photo of what many think is BL's bedroom where a gun is on display. There is also the photo of Gabby holding what appears to be a gun. Based upon that, it is likely he was carrying during the trip with Gabby.
Sleuths think Gabby Petito may be holding GUN in photo as cops hunt fiancé

IMO, the FBI would be working to discern if any bullet holes proximal to Gabby's remains might be related to whatever happened or not.

"There is the photo of what many think is BL's bedroom where a gun is on display."

That is not a gun. It is a model of a gun. Or perhaps, a stylized carving of a gun meant to be an art-piece. Guns are not mounted on a wall unless they are set upon a gun mount of sorts. They are too heavy. There is no gun mount in that photo. If you look at the photo of the room with the alleged "gun" on the wall, the "gun" appears about the same size as the hardcover books on the shelf below. That's a very large handgun. Again, it's obvious its just a carving of a handgun. I am talking about the "gun" on the wall of the room, not the much smaller compact handgun that gabby appears to be holding in the other photo.

Attachments

• ad-gabby-with-gun-comp-copy.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 14
It has been hypothesized that either that's a picture of a tenant's bedroom or the pictures in the ad were the same pictures used when the home was purchased on 2015. But there's no evidence that's B's room and plenty of evidence to say it's not.

Bedroom art aside. IMO we have to ask ourselves what the probability is that Brian owned/carried a pistol. We have a huge piece of evidence in his manner of his death. We have the statements made by his Publix coworkers. (I give that some weight) Also, there are almost 2 million concealed weapons permits in FL. There's a couple of online pics that intrigue me as well. IMO it's certainly not a fact, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

@Balthazar :) With all respect and having great, great fun with the conversation.

You asked me this question in the last thread. "What do you think the chances are that there are no bullet holes in an area used for hunting? IMO, zero..."

Okay, I can totally go along with the conversation regarding the probability that BL owned or carried a gun. However, we've gone from the holes in the trees being most likely made by the great number of hunters at Spread Creek, to them somehow being used as proof that Brian was carrying. "Others are at the level of Gabby's torso or head." HUH? Are there hundreds of random gunshots going off all the time due to hunters, or was it Brian?

JMO but you actually named the problem yourself. This is a public park. Those holes in the trees could be made by a camper not respecting their environment. They could be made hunters. They could be made by people doing target practice. They could also be made by Brian. In this type of circumstance, how can we use this as evidence before we have more info or ballistics?

MOO

Last edited:
Bedroom art aside. IMO we have to ask ourselves what the probability is that Brian owned/carried a pistol. We have a huge piece of evidence in his manner of his death. We have the statements made by his Publix coworkers. (I give that some weight) Also, there are almost 2 million concealed weapons permits in FL. There's a couple of online pics that intrigue me as well. IMO it's certainly not a fact, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

@Balthazar :) With all respect and having great, great fun with the conversation.

You asked me this question in the last thread. "What do you think the chances are that there are no bullet holes in an area used for hunting? IMO, zero..."

Okay, I can totally go along with the conversation regarding the probability that BL owned or carried a gun. However, we've gone from the holes in the trees being most likely made by the great number of hunters at Spread Creek, to them somehow being used as proof that Brian was carrying. "Others are at the level of Gabby's torso or head." HUH? Are there hundreds of random gunshots going off all the time due to hunters, or was it Brian?

JMO but you actually named the problem yourself. This is a public park. Those holes in the trees could be made by a camper not respecting their environment. They could be made hunters. They could be made by people doing target practice. They could also be made by Brian. In this type of circumstance, how can we use this as evidence before we have more info or ballistics?

MOO
With all due respect and not being snarky, we KNOW that GP died of manual strangulation and not from a gunshot wound. What is the reason for debating if Brian had a gun/used a gun at Spread Creek/left bullet holes from a gun at Spread Creek, etc.? If we assume he had a gun and made bullet holes what do you think that would tell us? That he threatened her with a gun prior to strangling her? All MOO and speculation, I'm just confused and questioning where we're going with this?

With all due respect and not being snarky, we KNOW that GP died of manual strangulation and not from a gunshot wound. What is the reason for debating if Brian had a gun/used a gun at Spread Creek/left bullet holes from a gun at Spread Creek, etc.? If we assume he had a gun and made bullet holes what do you think that would tell us? That he threatened her with a gun prior to strangling her? All MOO and speculation, I'm just confused and questioning where we're going with this?

Because it adds an element of torture to the tale. IMO this story is bad enough as it is. I would like to someday know the truth, not a lot of crazy speculation. MOO

Last edited:

MOO
The holes in the trees could also have been made by woodpeckers.

BL's co-workers from Publix have stated that he had a concealed carry permit and that he regularly carried. There is also a photo of Gabby with a pistol (she's kissing the barrel or at least that is what it looks like.) I would assume that anyone who goes camping would be carrying a gun for protection as there is definitely a criminal element attracted to camp grounds where the pickings are easy and the police are far away.
bbm
What is your source for this statement?

It really doesn't matter if you believe that is a gun or not in BL's bedroom. BL's co-workers at Publix have verified that he owned a guy and had a permit for concealed carry and they saw him concealed carry frequently. It is not much of a stretch of the imagination to think he would take his gun on the camping trip with Gabby. And now we know BL committed suicide with a gun.

bbm
could you please provide a link to this information?

<modsnip>

Being that the L family already owned 8+ firearms, I think it is highly likely that BL brought a gun with him during his camping adventure. I wonder if they all were registered with the “right to carry” as well. IMO
It would be kind of a hassle to take a gun across that many state lines with all the differences in state law about how they must be stored, where they can be located, where the ammunition must be, etc., IMHO. You have a right to transport a firearm across state lines if it is legally registered in your place of residence, but 'right to carry' does not convey with the gun across state lines and laws vary widely from state to state.

The linked news story was interesting until I read this sentence: "Both men said given that the area where Laundrie was found had been underwater for some time, it’s completely possible the gun just floated away."

I found the idea that a gun "floated away" completely ludicrous-- guns don't float, whether they be loaded with bullets or not.

That defies so much logic. I’d love to hear what that person meant by that because I’m pretty sure they don’t mean that a pistol which had been used to shoot and kill someone……could also float.

I really hope that we'll at least hear a summary of the contents of the notebook. I can't help but wonder if, even with nothing to lose, BL was planning to take the secret of where Gabby's body was located to his grave, or if he left some indication of where she was located. If he was planning suicide, there would be no reason to keep the information from her parents. Thank goodness she was found without his help.

I agree--guns don't float.

Grossness alert--stop reading if you're easily offended...

I would think a body would float before the gun floated. Isn't that how drowned persons are often found? When the body begins to decompose and fills with gasses, I think it sometimes floats. Considering the floods they had in the reserve, perhaps that's what happened, Brian's body floated away from the area in which he actually shot himself.

Alternately, I can see someone who wasn't on the right side of the law picking up a gun and never reporting it.

It would be kind of a hassle to take a gun across that many state lines with all the differences in state law about how they must be stored, where they can be located, where the ammunition must be, etc., IMHO. You have a right to transport a firearm across state lines if it is legally registered in your place of residence, but 'right to carry' does not convey with the gun across state lines and laws vary widely from state to state.
Thank you for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members