Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep!
I'll say it again...I always felt something weird about those pics of the creek. Just the way they were taken left me with some odd unsettled feeling. Then when we find out that MurderBear's phone pinged there on that last day for Suzanne I was like whoa...
And then, the completely LAME turkey story...wth...that is just the lamest attempt at a lie.
But now it makes sense.
Thanks y'all!
Ahh, my sentiments too. A pattern emerges …technology, it has its place.

Yes I pick up any odds and ends of similar color and throw them in with the sheets all the time. I have an extra large capacity washer so even king sheets don't fill it up. All said, I think the laundry is just as it seems...it was on Suzanne's to-do list, she did a load of wash and put the wash in the dryer. I think she wanted the daughters and friend to stay the night before turning and driving back to Gunnison. I also doubt Barry and Suzanne were sleeping in separate rooms. There is just nothing in any of Suzanne's texts or in Barry's reports (even with his hyperbole) that suggests that level of antipathy had occurred. Quite the contrary...Suzanne's texts suggest she was struggling to keep Barry happy and Barry was struggling with Suzanne falling out of love with him and wanting her to be happy.
I pick up odds and ends too like young adult male stinky socks wherever I find them. I would never put any of my clothing in with a load of warm or hot water except maybe socks lol
Wonder if anyone noticed what temp the washer was set to as the devil is often in the details.
Also I think regardless of who planned the girls camping trip that the week before Mother’s Day was intended to be a week of changes and resolutions without the girls present. I also think Suzanne was indeed done and had effectively cut Barry off in more ways than one. I suspect he spent that week in his oldest daughters bed; what else he did there I have no idea. IMO
Does anyone recall where we saw Suzanne’s to do list? I’m certain we have and IIRC I think that was where we learned of the cat staying there for the camping trip. Feed the cat or change the box or something similar.
If Barry made bacon, eggs and toast for breakfast it was again only for himself. Or maybe he tried that another morning as a love bomb and Suzanne wouldn’t bite. Listen, I made you breakfast and coffee please let me into the master bedroom. IMO

Lauren Scharf@LaurenScharfTV

Agent Graham is being asked about Mallory Morphew sheets in the dryer. #SuzanneMorphew had a to-do list on the kitchen counter and one of the items said Mal sheets. Judge just reminded Eytan to keep the cross short cause the state only had 15 min with Graham.

9:14 AM · Aug 23, 2021

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

The sheets were taken from the dryer from May 11-15. It wasn't until May 19 when an investigator found the syringe for a dart. The state is redirecting now.

9:17 AM · Aug 23, 2021

SM's to-do list from the kitchen countertop in her handwriting would be easy enough to verify.

The sheets and BM's short pants could have been located in the clothes dryer together yet not necessarily washed together and/or even washed on different days.

MOO
Do appliances (new technology) keep data? Last cycle, etc?

I think what's significant is that the shorts Barry was seen on CCTV on 5/9 were found in the dryer. The same dryer containing a syringe cap and recently washed/dried sheets, per Suzanne's To Do list. Pretty solid timestamp.

JMO
I only recall that he wore brown shorts and that brown shorts were found in the dryer. I don't recall any evidence that they were the same pair of shorts (he could easily have more than one pair of similar brown shorts).

Do we know for sure the shorts in the dryer are the same pair he was seen wearing on camera?

Barry says he saw the sheets in the dryer. (Why? Why did he open the dryer? What did he wash that we don't know about?????) Interestingly, he asks if the whole bedding was off... because he "was never in [that room]". 100%, Barry? Were you 100% not in there?

His query gives me pause.

JMO

P. 21 of the AA

Colorado Judicial Branch - Chaffee - Cases of Interest - People of the State of Colorado v. Barry Lee Morphew
From page 25 of the AA:
Barry stated that he went into the dryer looking for socks and saw <redacted> sheets, and he dug through
some of Suzanne's clothes in the dryer; a pair of her shorts was in there.

I suppose if he changes his socks as much as he changes shirts, all of his socks were dirty. Yeah, right!

From page 25 of the AA:
Barry stated that he went into the dryer looking for socks and saw <redacted> sheets, and he dug through
some of Suzanne's clothes in the dryer; a pair of her shorts was in there.

I suppose if he changes his socks as much as he changes shirts, all of his socks were dirty. Yeah, right!

Fascinating

This is all narrative building. Maybe at trial we'll get some sense of what his purpose was but to me the most interesting part is somehow the sheets are important, and the dart blunder revealed that

I wash my sheets separately in hot or at least warm water. How about the rest of you? And does anyone wash a single pair of shorts with a set of sheets? IMO this is work of a man who has likely never done a load of laundry in his life until absolutely necessary. Maybe even to imply that Suzanne was awake and alive Sunday morning checking off her to do list while enjoying her coffee? I call BS IMO

Yes exactly

We wash sheets and towels etc at 60 or even 90

Normal clothes at 30 or possibly 40

No way do you put shorts in with the sheets!

I am sure the investigators know who wrote the list, I think it was Suzanne and Suzanne who put in the wash probably for the same reasons you do, could be she wasn't sure of the last time someone used that bed. To that end I think Barry threw his shorts in the wash, and later when he went to put them in the dryer, saw the sheets, threw the shorts in anyways. One thing for sure, if the sheets or his shorts had a chance of cadaverine on them, they would have made trash run 6.

I think this is a good theory actually.

SM already washed the sheets that morning. BM then needs to wash his shorts - throws them in the washer - then throws everything in the dryer - and that is how the dart cap got in there.

Also - given SM was sunbathing - wouldn't she hang the sheets out on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning?

Using the dryer is like what my dad does.

But as From Germany said, would she not change and wash all of the bed clothes,duvet cover,pillow cases as well as the sheets?
I think she would have had more than one set of bed linen and have made up the bed with fresh sheets from the linen cupboard

Ordinarily you'd change them out sure - but for me at least, if no one was staying, I'd wash them, hang them out and put them on the bed so i didn't need to fold them and put them away :D

I wonder if the reason the duvet cover/pillow cases were not washed is the precise reason you mention - she intended to change that stuff, but never got a chance?

AA from @sk716 accessible version

Barry Morphew Redacted Arrest Affidavit – Find Suzanne Morphew

(Barry Interview – May 28th)

Barry said he has not used the tranquilizer or darts in Colorado

This seems to be a significant problem

I lean towards the theory (i think from @sk716) that he grabbed the rifle, unloaded the round puts it in his pocket, loads the dart, puts the cap in his pocket. This may have all been automatic, or partly conscious he needed to keep track of those items.

Later in the bedroom he takes off the shorts - round falls out. He then overlooks this.

The cap goes in the wash - he forgot about it or simply couldn't find it again.

He must have disposed of the dart - but maybe if it is with the body, he never twigged the cap was missing.

I don't think Barry struggled with wanting Suzanne to be happy.

Seems like that was the least of his concerns. Perhaps for years. Perhaps for decades. But especially that weekend.

He was, however, very concerned with his happiness.

JMO
Except storytelling ("has to make his wife happy" to MG) I think, he hadn't done much for her happiness. Although Suzanne praised him so often and publicly - until 2018.

But as From Germany said, would she not change and wash all of the bed clothes,duvet cover,pillow cases as well as the sheets?
I think she would have had more than one set of bed linen and have made up the bed with fresh sheets from the linen cupboard
I agree. Also, who would put sheets in the dryer without setting the timer signal in order to take them out right away so they wouldn't wrinkle? No one who normally does them because she didn't put them in the dryer, Barry did. Every woman here (and some men, I'm sure) know that would never happen. Even the finest Supima cotton sheets will wrinkle in minutes.
More importantly, why would Barry's shorts be in the dryer that he'd been wearing on Saturday ALONG with a syringe cap HE said *cough* he'd been using to tranq chipmunks on Saturday?
He said he'd last saw her on Sunday 5am which would mean she just let them sit in the dryer overnight, after the steak they shared from one plate, one fork and one knife a la Lady and the Tramp.

Just an aside, was the tranquilizer powerful enough to kill the little squirrel relatives? Why tranq them, if not. Did he skin them, gut them and get bragging rights again? Did LE find a bunch of dead or half dead chipmunks lying around? Yeah, didn't happen.
I would love to see the prosecutors bring in enormous physical bullet point presentations during their prosecution and especially amass them all at closing arguments. There's so much evidence and the defense will try to play with their minds at every turn. They'll also eat up time as much as they can in cross, just as they did (and will do) during the hearings.
Can't wait to see who they can possibly have on their witness list. How much you want to bet he doesn't have any other than his daughter and mother as character witnesses? They'd be cross examined to. Unless, he's paid people off which is a definite possibility.

IMO

Last edited:
I agree. Also, who would put sheets in the dryer without setting the timer signal in order to take them out right away so they wouldn't wrinkle? No one who normally does them because she didn't put them in the dryer, Barry did. Every woman here (and some men, I'm sure) know that would never happen. Even the finest Supima cotton sheets will wrinkle in minutes.

I mean I am not American but in the countries I've lived in, we hang these things out on a nice day so they air nicely? Why put them in the dryer which costs money when you don't have to?

More importantly why would Barry's shorts be in the dryer that he'd been wearing on Saturday ALONG with a syringe cap HE said *cough* he'd been using to tranq chipmunks on Saturday?
He said he'd last saw her on Sunday 5am which would mean she just let them sit in the dryer overnight, after the steak they shared from one plate, one fork and one knife a la Lady and the Tramp.

This is a good insight.

Just an aside, was the tranquilizer powerful enough to kill the little squirrel relatives? Why tranq them, if not. Did he skin them, gut them and get bragging rights again? Did they find a bunch of dead or half dead chipmunks lying around? Yeah, didn't happen.
I would love to see the prosecutors bring in enormous physical bullet point presentations during their prosecution and especially amass them all at closing arguments. There's so much evidence and the defense will try to play with their minds at every turn. They'll also eat up time as much as they can in cross, just as they did (and will do) during the hearings.
Can't wait to see who they can possibly have on their witness list. How much you want to bet he doesn't have any other than his daughter and mother as character witnesses? They'd be cross examined to. Unless, he's paid people off which is a definite possibility.

IMO

I think he said he shot the chipmunks with the 22 and deer with the tranqs?

I am guessing this is all why he tried to walk back the absurd tranq aspect of the story on May 28th

On May 28, 2020, CBI Agent Cahill and Agent Derek Graham interviewed Barry and audio recorded the interview.

Barry was asked about the tranquilizer darts in his house. He stated that the darts’ purpose was to tranquilize bucks to sell them. He said the bucks could then be placed in a trailer that has cubicles. The tranquilizer is a sedative/narcotic and he only did this “tranqing” and selling of bucks back in Indiana. Barry said he has not used the tranquilizer or darts in Colorado.32

Whereas on the 10th of May he had this to say to the FBI

SA Grusing said the odd thing about the sheets and the house was that a tranquilizer dart had been fired “in or around the house.”

Barry replied, “And I, I have shot, and again I have told you I don’t want to get in trouble with the DNR,” SA Grusing inserted he was not. Barry continued, “I’m tellin’ you, I’m telllin’ you right now I’ve shot two deer with my tranq gun, ’cause I used to raise deer, and I collect horns, and I’ll tell you exactly what I did.”

He continued, “They’re in the yard. They’re in the yard. I shoot ’em, they go to sleep. I cut their horns off, and I wake ’em up, and they go off with no horns on their head, and I cut their horns.”

... before he developed the story even further in April to try to explain how the dart might be inside

SA Grusing said the evidence of the tranq dart was found inside the house. Barry replied, “Yeah, or I, I’ve shot deer from that little breezeway from between the garage and the laundry room, out that back door.”75

So I am guessing he did lose that dart cap and wasn't sure where they found it?

I wonder if this is an embedded admission of where he loaded the gun?

More importantly, why would Barry's shorts be in the dryer that he'd been wearing on Saturday ALONG with a syringe cap HE said *cough* he'd been using to tranq chipmunks on Saturday?

Just an aside, was the tranquilizer powerful enough to kill the little squirrel relatives? Why tranq them, if not. Did he skin them, gut them and get bragging rights again? Did they find a bunch of dead or half dead chipmunks lying around? Yeah, didn't happen.

IMO

I totally agree. Suzanne would have removed the sheets as soon as the dryer finished.

If either she or Barry had been sleeping in MM1's bed then I would have thought they would still have been going to sleep there on Saturday night ,meaning Suzanne would have planned to have
changed the bed on Sunday.

If neither of them had been sleeping in that bed then I am surprised the bed linen was not changed after the last time it was slept in by MM1.

I mean I am not American but in the countries I've lived in, we hang these things out on a nice day so they air nicely? Why put them in the dryer which costs money when you don't have to?

This is a good insight.

I think he said he shot the chipmunks with the 22 and deer with the tranqs?

I am guessing this is all why he tried to walk back the absurd tranq aspect of the story on May 28th

Whereas on the 10th of May he had this to say to the FBI

... before he developed the story even further in April to try to explain how the dart might be inside

So I am guessing he did lose that dart cap and wasn't sure where they found it?

I wonder if this is an embedded admission of where he loaded the gun?

"I mean I am not American but in the countries I've lived in, we hang these things out on a nice day so they air nicely? Why put them in the dryer which costs money when you don't have to?"

It's fortunate that you have the space to hang sheets. There isn't an area wide enough where Suzanne would've been able to hang sheets on her PP property. If there had been, she might have but they were, nevertheless, in the dryer.
He also told LE that he'd been running around the property shooting chipmunks with the darts that he'd also admitted to having disposed of at ONE of his dumps. His defense argued he'd have to be running through walls.
LE found the dart gun to be inoperable but the darts could also be fired by a 22. The same caliber as the unspent bullet they found in the bedroom.

Last edited:
Just to add another perspective for the purpose of establishing norms:
  • I don't know anyone near me who even has a clothesline anymore. It may be due to the humidity here in the US midatlantic region. I have lived in CO but don't recall many clotheslines in the suburb of Denver either. So, I don't feel that using the dryer would be unusual at all.
  • I have washed sheets in the morning and thrown them into the dryer before dashing to work. I know that wrinkles are not ideal but sometimes clean is the best that can be accomplished. (I commend those who can accomplish both). It may be that SM was just busy/distracted?
I do think that if the shorts were indeed BM's work shorts that it is likely that he either washed both the sheets and the shorts together or threw the shorts in the dryer with the sheets. If he washed both, then why did he do the sheets? If they were SM's shorts, then it is confusing. Why would BM clean the sheets and SM's shorts and -- even more confusing -- how the heck did the dart cap get in there?
JMO.

....It's fortunate that you have the space to hang sheets. There isn't an area wide enough where Suzanne would've been able to hang sheets on her PP property....
@marylamby bbm sbm for focus Respectfully disagreeing about lack of space for hanging sheets outdoors. PP prop was ~ 7+ acres or ~2.8 + hectares, so seems there'd be space for a clothesline.

Some subdivisions' HOA bylaws prohibit clothes lines. Maybe Monarch River Estates Owners Association too a nonprofit corp formed in 2008?

Not that Barry:rolleyes: would necessarily have complied:rolleyes: w HOA by-laws. my2ct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni