GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
For sure,
and for those of us living in the vicinity of the crime scene: scary/spooky/chilling/upsetting/
habit-altering/anger-evoking/nerve-wracking, and on and on.
This case makes me very angry, nervous and spooked. I want so badly to see justice and it is very frustrating that there doesn’t seem to be justice coming in the near future.

I am very thankful that I can come on WS, read everyone’s posts and know that I’m not the only one that feels this way.

This case makes me very angry, nervous and spooked. I want so badly to see justice and it is very frustrating that there doesn’t seem to be justice coming in the near future.

I am very thankful that I can come on WS, read everyone’s posts and know that I’m not the only one that feels this way.
I think a lot of people here fell that way. This was an incredibly atrocious crime in a public place that is now 4 months old with no news. There is sort of a "Jack The Ripper" feel to it. Was this targeted? or random?

THIS part confuses me. Who was this random guy heard on the 911 call? I realllllly hope they talked to them and/or could this be the killer? Just speculating, but LE noted that the suspect "hung around".....how convenient that this person just happened to be right at the gate where EC was, at the exact same time she was? Super weird to me that NO ONE is talking about this guy. Not one person on FB, Twitter, etc is demanding that we find out this person's identity. This person has not been talking about the horrific scene they saw, none of his friends are gossiping...like...someone knows this person, but no one seems to care...
Welcome Jenorlatl.
This is a still photo of the man who ran out of PP & is heard on the 911 call made by EC. The video of this can be found on 11alivenews.com/"Woman found stabbed at PP"/07/28/21/6:13am.Screenshot_2021-11-18-09-24-48.png

Last edited:
How common is it for LE to withhold a description of a perp caught on security footage?

Also, did the autopsy report indicate the vertical portion of the "T" consisted of two parallel lines... or am I interpreting this incorrectly?
Yes, correct. 2 verticle cuts & the horizontal line of the 'T' was longer than the verticle lines.

I'm starting to lean towards LE having some type of knowledge of who the killer is. When the pictures/videos were released of the 6 potential witnesses to the murders LE was quick to say none of them were suspects. Obviously, the 3 people leaving PP just before 12 am at 10th & CA nor the jogger running in to PP for a few seconds could possibly have committed the crime. But as we discussed previously, the man w/big red spot on his shirt & the person so completely covered (in 84° heat) you can't tell if it's a male or female were also eliminated quickly by LE as suspects. Add to this, a few months down the road, LE says no one has been eliminated as a suspect. The Fulton County ME releases a very graphic & shocking autopsy detailing what the killer did. Alot feel this as odd & to me unprecedented. Taking all of this & the silence of LE into consideration, I speculate LE does have either a pic or DNA, or both, of the killer and a very good profile as well. IMO alot of the info we are getting now from all the 'players' may be solely to draw the killer out so he can be apprehended based on a profile.
JMOO.

The autopsy wouldn’t talk about DNA evidence would it? For example, it didn’t talk about what was under her fingernails, assuming it would have been collected and tested.
I'm starting to lean towards LE having some type of knowledge of who the killer is. When the pictures/videos were released of the 6 potential witnesses to the murders LE was quick to say none of them were suspects. Obviously, the 3 people leaving PP just before 12 am at 10th & CA nor the jogger running in to PP for a few seconds could possibly have committed the crime. But as we discussed previously, the man w/big red spot on his shirt & the person so completely covered (in 84° heat) you can't tell if it's a male or female were also eliminated quickly by LE as suspects. Add to this, a few months down the road, LE says no one has been eliminated as a suspect. The Fulton County ME releases a very graphic & shocking autopsy detailing what the killer did. Alot feel this as odd & to me unprecedented. Taking all of this & the silence of LE into consideration, I speculate LE does have either a pic or DNA, or both, of the killer and a very good profile as well. IMO alot of the info we are getting now from all the 'players' may be solely to draw the killer out so he can be apprehended based on a profile.
JMOO.
I'd be willing to bet that the police know a LOT more than we do. Do they know the identity of the killer? NO.
I like that you are bringing up the photos that the police released showing the witnesses. I say that because I think its important for a few reasons. I believe these were all released within days or a week, correct? And police said they didn't consider them suspects, but potential witnesses. Probably true. But police don't have to be totally honest. Now, as you said, most of those shown are clearly not likely suspects. Some are shown leaving the park around midnight, far before Katie arrived. Police would love to know who else they saw in the park. Jogger man we know enters at 12:45 appx and leaves 30 seconds later. VERY interesting. But we know police have talked to him at least twice. The man with red spot on his shirt, I believe this is also the man with what appears to be a can, is seen exiting the park from the Piedmont/12th st gate at about 12:25. Unlikely he is the killer because this is a long ways from Katies body an he is seen leaving at about the earliest time the attack could have occurred. The person in the hoodie, however, is seen leaving that same gate arount 12:45 or so. Its possible this person could have attacked Katie and fled to that gate in that amount of time. But the photo provides almost no detail. Maybe police have other photo/vid to show that is the likely killer but they can't identify that person.

Welcome Jenorlatl.
This is a still photo of the man who ran out of PP & is heard on the 911 call made by EC. The video of this can be found on 11alivenews.com/"Woman found stabbed at PP"/07/28/21/6:13am.View attachment 324822
How do we know that this is the WTF guy and not the roommate guy that walked by and saw Bowie?

I'd be willing to bet that the police know a LOT more than we do. Do they know the identity of the killer? NO.
I like that you are bringing up the photos that the police released showing the witnesses. I say that because I think its important for a few reasons. I believe these were all released within days or a week, correct? And police said they didn't consider them suspects, but potential witnesses. Probably true. But police don't have to be totally honest. Now, as you said, most of those shown are clearly not likely suspects. Some are shown leaving the park around midnight, far before Katie arrived. Police would love to know who else they saw in the park. Jogger man we know enters at 12:45 appx and leaves 30 seconds later. VERY interesting. But we know police have talked to him at least twice. The man with red spot on his shirt, I believe this is also the man with what appears to be a can, is seen exiting the park from the Piedmont/12th st gate at about 12:25. Unlikely he is the killer because this is a long ways from Katies body an he is seen leaving at about the earliest time the attack could have occurred. The person in the hoodie, however, is seen leaving that same gate arount 12:45 or so. Its possible this person could have attacked Katie and fled to that gate in that amount of time. But the photo provides almost no detail. Maybe police have other photo/vid to show that is the likely killer but they can't identify that person.

I think you are right about a lot. The part that doesnt sit right with me is the jogger. Why would he exit 30 seconds after going inside? Super sketchy to me. Not saying he did it, but seems like he may have noticed something.

Something else bothers me--How could anyone see in the dark to cut her so precisely, and also carve letters that were recognizable? She would found in an area that was obviously a little dark, which could be why no one saw....but yet....the killer was able to not only see where he was stabbing but had the ability to really SEE what he was doing. I dont understand how..

Something else bothers me--How could anyone see in the dark to cut her so precisely, and also carve letters that were recognizable? She would found in an area that was obviously a little dark, which could be why no one saw....but yet....the killer was able to not only see where he was stabbing but had the ability to really SEE what he was doing. I dont understand how..
Rbsbm.
Woman claims serial killer stared into her home hunting for next victim
''Woman claims serial killer 'stared into her home with night vision goggles' while hunting for next victim
Joseph E. Duncan III is currently on death row in the US, having spent his life carrying out a series of horrific crimes''
Border Agent Killed for Night-Vision Goggles
''Border Agent Killed for Night-Vision Goggles
July 26, 2011
A Border Patrol agent shot and killed near the U.S.-Mexican border was lured into a trap by his killers who wanted to steal a pair of night vision goggles according to a plea agreement reached with one of the men charged in the shooting.''

I think you are right about a lot. The part that doesnt sit right with me is the jogger. Why would he exit 30 seconds after going inside? Super sketchy to me. Not saying he did it, but seems like he may have noticed something.

About the jogger...

PP is a known sex-hook-up-scene at night.
It's possible he thought what he was seeing was a sex act and not a grisly murder.

Another possibility: he saw something, was spooked himself but didn't know exactly what he saw so brushed it off.

Or maybe he saw bloodied-Bowie and was freaked-out by that alone, didn't look past that and quickly jetted out of there.

I was recently reviewing some notes I took of a podcast where former FBI profiler Maryellen O'Toole talked about the type of offender who kills his victim at an outdoor crime scene. I don't know whether any of this information could prove helpful for the Katherine Janness murder (obviously we don't know if her killer knew her or not, and we are basically only assuming she was killed where she was found at this point). It may also help with any other future case you may follow. Here are some interesting points the profiler made and I'll link the source at the bottom.

When perpetrated by a stranger and there is a female victim (especially if young), there is usually a sexual motivation to the crime. However, even simple crimes often have multiple motivations. So while sex may be part of the primary motivation, there is also the motivation of the thrill and excitement of the hunt, and the killing itself.

Motivations can change during the course of the crime itself, so if a victim reacts to the offender in a way he did not anticipate (such as by vigorously fighting back), then his motivation may be different, to “now I have to overcome this victim, I have to take back control from this victim." As a profiler, going to the scenes, or being able to observe video from the first responders of the video they took of the scene, becomes really important because profilers can get an idea of the interaction between the victim and the offender and if it changed as the crime progressed.

If you have an offender who decides on the crime but then picks his victim opportunistically, then it often involves offenders who are sexually sadistic. Sexually sadistic offenders are the most violent sexual offenders that exist. Sexually sadistic offenders are offenders who pick the location where the crime will occur and then pick victims of opportunity - so their identities are not known to the victims. A hallmark of this type of crime (versus ones where the offender is known to the victim) is that the violence will be instrumental violence, as opposed to reactive violence. Somebody hits me in the nose, and I hit them back - that’s the most common type of violence and is reactive violence. Instrumental violence is really important to understand, particularly as it relates to or may be applicable in this case. And instrumental violence usually involves strangers, it’s very cold blooded, very predatory, and is completely devoid of any emotion on the part of the offender for the victim. The victims are just objects to this offender who uses instrumental violence. If we are talking about somebody who is engaged in instrumental violence, and it's predatory in nature, if in fact he did not know them but only picked the location, then he is likely a sexual predator and the predatory behavior is associated with psychopathy.

When you have a case where, despite tremendous effort on the part of the detectives that are working it, the perpetrator is able to fly under the radar for an extended period of time, it’s generally because they appear to be normal and non-threatening in real life. The person may not stand out as threatening, scary or creepy. They are normal in two ways - they are normal in behavior, and normal in their lifestyle. Meaning that, they could have a good job, they could be married, they could have children. Part of the reason they fly under the radar for such a long time is that they don’t go home and behave in an anxious way. Post offense behaviors (anxiety, use of drugs and alcohol, changing appearance, seeking to move away) may not be applicable in this case.

Location is important. If the crime takes place outdoors, it’s generally a location where they are comfortable based on having been there before, having knowledge of it, knowing that there is a victim pool that would likely be there…..It does suggest a familiarity. When you commit an outdoor crime scene, you have no control over who sees you, who writes something down, who observes you doing what you don't want them to see, and they run to the police...so there’s a lot of risk the offender took to commit that scene. The outdoor offender is an offender who is very comfortable with taking risk in their life.

Outdoor crime scenes sometimes do not have as much preserved forensic evidence as indoor scenes, but forensic evidence is still probably how this person will be identified and caught. The evidence could include DNA, fingerprints, hairs and fibers - trace evidence. These offenders often think they are smarter than LE, but in the heat of committing that crime, they will have transferred some kind of evidence, and the application of new technologies to the evidence that LE has, will likely identify this person.

Source, interviewing with FBI profiler starts at minute 12:41: Chapter 9: Three Februaries - Down The Hill: The Delphi Murders - Omny.fm

One of the many things that frustrates me so much about this case is how it seems like some articles and news reports, especially those that came out early in the investigation, have been taken down. Can anyone point me in the direction of any pieces, either written or broadcast, that exonerate Emma Clark? Does she have an absolutely ironclad alibi?

One of the many things that frustrates me so much about this case is how it seems like some articles and news reports, especially those that came out early in the investigation, have been taken down. Can anyone point me in the direction of any pieces, either written or broadcast, that exonerate Emma Clark? Does she have an absolutely ironclad alibi?
There are none that exonerate. Google has all MSM reports and interview she gave on cbs46 is below
EXCLUSIVE: Full interview with partner of Katie Janness

I go back and forth daily thinking she was targeted/knew or knew of the killer, or that she happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Because clearly there were several people in the park —why choose her? Maybe she was the only woman there alone? And LE may think the killer was in the park as early as midnight, based on the surveillance they chose to release to the public. Maybe Katie was killed or incapacitated closer to 12:15- 12:20, shortly after entering the park? But if so, why didn’t anyone notice her between then and approx. 1am, when Emma arrived? I believe headlamp jogger only saw Bowie, and decided to get out of there. IMO. I also go back and forth thinking LE does/does not have a suspect. Really don’t know what to think. JMO.

There are none that exonerate. Google has all MSM reports and interview she gave on cbs46 is below
EXCLUSIVE: Full interview with partner of Katie Janness
No one has been named or cleared as a suspect or person of interest. Atlanta Police Department released this statement on Nov. 9th (This is from CBS46):

The investigation into the murder of Katherine Janness remains open and very active. Our investigators continue working tirelessly to find the person(s) responsible. We understand it is frustrating for there to be so little information released publicly. However, to ensure the investigation isn't compromised, we simply cannot release much information on our active investigation. We know how important this case is to those in our communities and we will continue our work to bring this investigation to a resolution.”

If Katie was targeted specifically, someone who set out that night to kill her, how did that killer know where to find her? Emma said Katie did not have a set route/routine in walking Bowie. I'd like to know if there is any photo evidence (rainbow crosswalk, etc) that shows she might have been followed. And why attack her at that spot? But if its a random attack, why does a killer target someone with a dog (especially a pitbull)? It is perplexing because things are contradictory.

I'm still surprised that the autopsy report was released. It's absolutely full of what I believe is called "guilty knowledge," that is, things that only the killer could have known, and often used to prove that a suspect was involved. If LE doesn't already have a firm suspect in mind, making all those details public would risk compromising the investigation, would it not? The Delphi case, for example, has been referenced here several times, and is one of the most highly publicized cases I can think of where LE has refused to even confirm cause of death, much less release an autopsy report. The Missy Bevers murder is another that comes to mind where authorities have released very few details about the crime itself. I'm therefore hopeful that LE are just waiting out DNA results or etc. to be able to make an arrest, because I don't understand why they would have allowed the report to be released if they have no suspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23