Deceased/Not Found CA - Heidi Planck, 39, left son’s football game in Downey, dog found in Los Angeles, 17 Oct 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone besides me wonder if LE authorized JW to speak to the media yesterday, or whether he just took it upon himself to do so after they released their statement. He seemed to reiterate, over and over, "1-5 people know what happened to Heidi. We need your help...". Was that done on behalf of LE, or were they just his words? I get the strong sense LE has most everything they need, except Heidi's remains, which I expect they soon will have. JMO
It seemed to me to be a pre emptive way to address the media and as a customary outreach indicated by LE to plead for empathy for her son, family and friends.

Last edited:
Does anyone besides me wonder if LE authorized JW to speak to the media yesterday, or whether he just took it upon himself to do so after they released their statement. He seemed to reiterate, over and over, "1-5 people know what happened to Heidi. We need your help...". Was that done on behalf of LE, or were they just his words? JMO

We haven't heard LE make a public plea for assistance--so I doubt they need public help at this point. I can't see what good it does for the public to call in with more leads--leads that possibly distract LE from their apparent focused and targeted investigation.

Has anyone else heard rumors of problems accessing video from the H&F building?

I looked at the LA city and county sanitation and waste disposal sites last night. 5o%of waste goes to landfills in Orange County.
There is a searchable page with maps and details of all the landfills serving LA county that also sllows a search by residence address to figure out where one could dispose of one’s own waste- there are 3 sites that pop up for 1201 S. Hope. None are Chiquita.
That said, Chiquita Canyon gets the bulk of its waste from LA county communities surrounding the landfill. DTLA does not exactly fill that bill. But then who knows- maybe her clothes, purse or electronics went down the chute. Maybe there’s a lead to someone out around Castaic.
My guess is that someone with means and connections called in a depraved and sloppy crew to deal with the aftermath of Heidi’s demise.
The area that is being searched seems to correspond to the free dumping days offered to the Val Verde and Castaic, originally set for December 4 but postponed by the landfill on 11/27, now set for 12/18. So LE informed the landfill on or before 11/27 that they would be searching.
Also, that area seems to contain very processed waste from what I can distinguish on the ground.
https://pw.lacounty.gov/epd/illdump/pdf/FrDisDay-Chiquita12.04.21_Eng_FINAL.pdf

Wow, great work!!!

I looked at the LA city and county sanitation and waste disposal sites last night. 5o%of waste goes to landfills in Orange County.
There is a searchable page with maps and details of all the landfills serving LA county that also sllows a search by residence address to figure out where one could dispose of one’s own waste- there are 3 sites that pop up for 1201 S. Hope. None are Chiquita.
That said, Chiquita Canyon gets the bulk of its waste from LA county communities surrounding the landfill. DTLA does not exactly fill that bill. But then who knows- maybe her clothes, purse or electronics went down the chute. Maybe there’s a lead to someone out around Castaic.
My guess is that someone with means and connections called in a depraved and sloppy crew to deal with the aftermath of Heidi’s demise.
The area that is being searched seems to correspond to the free dumping days offered to the Val Verde and Castaic, originally set for December 4 but postponed by the landfill on 11/27, now set for 12/18. So LE informed the landfill on or before 11/27 that they would be searching.
Also, that area seems to contain very processed waste from what I can distinguish on the ground.

Searching landfills is pretty futile even with grids. The sheer volume of trash and stink of rot can be insurmountable.

Not to get too graphic, but because an intact adult person may not fit into the chute, it does not mean that an adult cannot fit under any circumstances. Dismemberment has happened in other cases I have followed here, and cannot be ruled out here. Apparently, LE found enough forensic evidence at H+F to conclude that she probably died there. JMO
Yeah, I thought of that, but because of the graphic image of that I put it out of my mind when I wrote the post.

Now I notice the heading has "Deceased/Not Found" added. I was hoping she voluntarily left, but I know I was just fooling myself.

She had 2 phones apparently - one was found, one was not.

Alternately, someone who had her phone could have responded to the text to cover their tracks/buy some time. It's happened in other cases (Kelsey Berreth, Gabby Petito).
I'm sorry, I thought for some reason that both phones had been found. That's why I wondered. It seemed strange to me and I was wondering if it could have been someone else who sent the texts.

Not in my experience. Once you dump the trash down the shoot it falls down many floors (depending on where you live in the building - but all the trash goes down one chute) directly into a dumpster, which would be outside, usually in an alley if you’re in a city, which a garbage truck would then empty. In my building, there were gates around the dumpster and it was locked (so you couldn’t go to the alley and dump something in directly, or go inside the dumpster to get something out).

We had a case here some years ago (Phoebe Handsjuk) who fell 12 floors in a garbage chute, to her death.
Lots of speculation that her controlling, abusive boyfriend (son of a judge) was involved - but of course he was able to avoid careful scrutiny and a charge.
(He has since had another girlfriend die in suspicious circumstances.)

This garbage chute has blades in it, somewhere along the line. To break up the garbage a bit. Make sure it goes down the chute smoothly, I suppose. The inquest report revealed that the blades almost severed Phoebe's foot. Presumably Phoebe's blood was found on the blades.

Last edited:
Respectfully snipped by me.

I agree, however they will hide behind their right to require a search warrant. I'm sure their attorney is doing the talking for them. It's all about covering their tail end rather than doing the right thing.

The right thing is to get a search warrant, especially if evidence from the H&F might be needed in court. And if I lived in the building, I wouldn't want the management to hand over security tapes (tapes that include me and my guests) to LE without a warrant. I'm sure many H&F residents' feel the same way. It's not as though getting a warrant would have been difficult or time-consuming once it was known HP had been there and it was known her dog was found there. So I'm not sure what grounds there could possibly be for a lawsuit against the H&F for the requirement a warrant be obtained. It's not as though HP could have been saved if they'd handed over the tapes without a warrant. LE wasn't even aware she been at the H&F for many days after her disappearance.
JMO

Wow, great info! I always enjoy your posts!!

New to this case and have not read all the posts. What is standing out to me is that the ex-husband and her friends are the ones that seem really concerned. Where is her bio. family? Where is the boyfriend? Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that her ex-husband is out there keeping her case alive, just think it's odd he's doing it alone (with some help of friends).

The right thing is to get a search warrant, especially if evidence from the H&F might be needed in court. And if I lived in the building, I wouldn't want the management to hand over security tapes (tapes that include me and my guests) to LE without a warrant. I'm sure many H&F residents' feel the same way. It's not as though getting a warrant would have been difficult or time-consuming once it was known HP had been there and it was known her dog was found there. So I'm not sure what grounds there could possibly be for a lawsuit against the H&F for the requirement a warrant be obtained. It's not as though HP could have been saved if they'd handed over the tapes without a warrant. LE wasn't even aware she been at the H&F for many days after her disappearance.
JMO
This x10000. It IS the right thing and the right way to go about it. LE knows this also. I always say this, but people get SO angry when cases are overturned for police side or overstepping legal procedure. So, let’s continue to hold them to the standard we’ve set.

We haven't heard LE make a public plea for assistance--so I doubt they need public help at this point. I can't see what good it does for the public to call in with more leads--leads that possibly distract LE from their apparent focused and targeted investigation.

Has anyone else heard rumors of problems accessing video from the H&F building?
I think JW's press conference was coordinated with LAPD. I don't think he just pulled the 1-5 people out of nowhere and he emphasized it multiple times along with her devastated young son needing answers.

I'm wondering if the video surveillance at the H + F may not be all it is advertised to prospective tenants to be.

JMO

New to this case and have not read all the posts. What is standing out to me is that the ex-husband and her friends are the ones that seem really concerned. Where is her bio. family? Where is the boyfriend? Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that her ex-husband is out there keeping her case alive, just think it's odd he's doing it alone (with some help of friends).
IMO, some people are comfortable appearing on the TV news, and others prefer to stay private. I don't think it says anything about how much someone cares, but maybe says more about how much they enjoy personal publicity.

I think JW's press conference was coordinated with LAPD. I don't think he just pulled the 1-5 people out of nowhere and he emphasized it multiple times along with her devastated young son needing answers.

I'm wondering if the video surveillance at the H + F may not be all it is advertised to prospective tenants to be.

JMO
IDK, what if it's just 1 person? That's one of the possibilities. Seems a fairly meaningless statement, to me.

JMO
Playing devils advocate a bit here, but video surveillance in a “luxury” building is a double edged sword. People want their privacy and they also want criminals caught on camera. And by privacy, I mean privacy that extends to their own illicit activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cLeopatra_