MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, shooting at Oxford High School, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the parents being bashed all over the internet and it doesn't seem fair to me.

Unless it comes out that they encouraged him to go to that school and shoot it up, I will give them the benefit of the doubt
I doubt the parents gave direct encouragement. Then again, encouragement does not need to be direct.

Likewise, I seriously doubt the shooter's behavior problems suddenly surfaced after the father bought a weapon and left it unsecured (Black Friday). Instead, this seems to be the fact pattern:

- Son had a history of behavior concerns.
- Father buys a weapon, leaves it unsecured.
- Son had ready access to the weapon. In one social media post, he describes it as "his" and openly invites questions about it.
- Parents have meeting with school about behavior
- Son murders four people.

In short, it is highly likely that the parents knew that their son had behavior problems- and still purchased a weapon- then decided not only to leave it unsecured, but might of given it to their son. The weapon in question is a modern, easy to use pistol, not say, a single shot shotgun.

To me the harsh criticism seems easily warranted.

I doubt the parents gave direct encouragement. Then again, encouragement does not need to be direct.

Likewise, I seriously doubt the shooter's behavior problems suddenly surfaced after the father bought a weapon and left it unsecured (Black Friday). Instead, this seems to be the fact pattern:

- Son had a history of behavior concerns.
- Father buys a weapon, leaves it unsecured.
- Son had ready access to the weapon. In one social media post, he describes it as "his" and openly invites questions about it.
- Parents have meeting with school about behavior
- Son murders four people.

In short, it is highly likely that the parents knew that their son had behavior problems- and still purchased a weapon- then decided not only to leave it unsecured, but might of given it to their son. The weapon in question is a modern, easy to use pistol, not say, a single shot shotgun.

To me the harsh criticism seems easily warranted.
Well said.

Agreed.
I do think society as a whole needs better options for kids/teens.
As a kid when I was bullied luckily I had supportive parents and a few teachers, but many kids do not. If I didn't have a loving supportive family and friends I'm not sure what would have happened.
Healthy outlets for anger/rage...better healthcare for mental illness.
Keeping guns out of kids' hands helps too.

I sometimes worry that some teachers, school officials and parents wrongly believe that anti-bullying programs are "politically correct" or otherwise wrong and unnecessary. Many people today see bullying behavior as a virtue, unfortunately.

I hope school officials and teachers continue to check bullying in schools. It needs to be addressed there, at school, when it happens instead of "passing the buck" by sending a note home to parents.

Metro Detroit school districts cancel classes over social media posts (detroitnews.com)

In the wake of a shooting at Oxford High School that left four students dead, multiple Metro Detroit school districts are canceling classes Thursday amid reports of social media messages some have interpreted as threatening similar violence, officials said.

The Troy School District on Wednesday night said it had learned about a Snapchat message "where a student in Rochester speculated about a rumored threat to a school in Rochester or Troy. A similar message is being circulated throughout Oakland County replacing 'Troy' with the name of another district," spokeswoman Kerry Birmingham said in an emailed statement...

School Closings | ClickOnDetroit | Local, Detroit, Michigan News | WDIV Local 4

Most school closures today are in Oakland County where Oxford High School is located.

I sometimes worry that some teachers, school officials and parents wrongly believe that anti-bullying programs are "politically correct" or otherwise wrong and unnecessary. Many people today see bullying behavior as a virtue, unfortunately.

I hope school officials and teachers continue to check bullying in schools. It needs to be addressed there, at school, when it happens instead of "passing the buck" by sending a note home to parents.

Bullying is a psychopathic/sadistic behavior if not stopped leads to even more violent criminial behavior.
In our school, the coach encouraged jocks to beat up quiet boys. They made it worse by egging it on.

"Prevention: The first step

School climate may sound fuzzy or abstract. It means the quality of relationships among the students and the adults in a school. It's affected by the school's approach to discipline and behavior, the availability of professionals like counselors and social workers, as well as any social-emotional curriculum taught in the classroom.

School climate, in turn, affects students' mental and emotional health and academic success. And research by Astor and others has consistently found key factors that can make schools safer: cultivate social and emotional health, connect to community resources and respond, particularly, to troubled students.

Why does this matter? Well, for one thing, the very kids who bring weapons to school are more likely to report being bullied or threatened themselves. They may be fearful of gang violence and feel a need to protect themselves on the way back and forth to school.

Or, they may be individually ostracized and aggrieved. This is true not just in the United States, says Astor, but in "Kosovo, Canada, Chile, Israel, the kids who bring weapons to school are reporting tons of victimization."

Here's How To Prevent The Next School Shooting, Experts Say

Thanks for the Oppenheimer confirmation. He was a brilliant engineer and organizer who appears to also have had quite reservations about the "project".

The partial quote is pretty obscure, even by standards of card carrying library nerds such as myself.

Thus, I am thinking that either his reading habits are far outside the norm of most US high school students, or.... somebody gave it to him.

I think it might help to evaluate his academic inclinations and see if he likely read the source material, or if perhaps he had an academically inclined collaborator who supplied it to him.
He did attend an international baccalaureate school for the elementary grades, which would indicate he’s pretty intelligent.

Some SE Michigan schools temporarily close following Oxford High School shooting (clickondetroit.com)

SE Michigan schools dealing with similar threats following Tuesday tragedy

Following the devastating Oxford High School shooting earlier this week, several schools across Southeast Michigan are increasing police presence or temporarily closing their buildings as they deal with their own threats.

A 15-year-old student at Oxford High School, Ethan Crumbley, was arraigned as an adult Wednesday on several charges in the fatal shooting of four fellow students, in addition to shooting and injuring seven other people.

Officials say that after a school shooting occurs in a community, similar threats often pop up at nearby schools and districts.

Oxford High School has closed for the remainder of the week following the tragedy. Some nearby schools and districts are adjusting their operations in response to threats aimed at their schools...

I made a narrowly minded comment up thread about bullying that I wish to amend. I don’t want to minimize anyone’s experience. What I have witnessed in my own life and with my own kids is that often what is labeled as bullying is teasing, which also stinks, but is something most will encounter in life and we need to lift those people up to overcome the feelings. However, serious bullying mentally or physically does happen and can be devastating. My flaw is when I hear teens talk about bullying, I assume my life experience with it and tend to generalize.

Your kindness shines through, and I commend you for amending.

I stand behind my own comment up thread, despite it being narrow-minded. I detest bullying. But bullies (and innocent bystanders) aren’t subject to execution by those being bullied.

Oxford High suspect detailed in videos, journal plans to kill students, authorities say (detroitnews.com)

Oxford — The 15-year-old charged in the killings of four of his Oxford High School classmates recorded videos on his cellphone the night before the shootings and wrote in a journal recovered in his backpack of plans to shoot and kill students, authorities said Wednesday.

A day before the shooting, school officials spoke with the suspect, Ethan Crumbley, over "concerning" classroom behavior and discussed the issue again with him and his parents in the hours before Tuesday's alleged rampage, Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said.

Just before 1 p.m. Tuesday, Crumbley allegedly emerged from a school bathroom armed. Prosecutors said he then "methodically and deliberately" walked down a hallway before he began shooting at students and a teacher at close range. Bouchard said Crumbley's alleged targeting of students seemed random, based on video footage he and other investigators reviewed...

Now, that is strange.

The quote is from Hindu scripture and was also uttered by one of the atomic bomb scientists / engineers (Oppenheimer?) upon witnessing the atomic bomb test in New Mexico.

The full quote goes something like: "And now I have become death, destroyer of worlds" .

I think the quote is attributed to the Hindu god Shiva. As a further side note, I believe some Hindu gods are dual natured. The natures might be opposites, though I am not sure.

In either case, very few high schoolers are familiar with atomic bomb scientists or Hindu scriptures. Perhaps the perpetrator is a voracious reader?

If the perpetrator is not academically inclined, I wonder where he obtained the quote from? It does not seem like something one would readily find on a google search.

This could in turn perhaps indicate that he was being groomed, "fed" or perhaps directed by another party?

It could also be from a video game, such as Fallout.
I Am Become Death

Now, that is strange.

The quote is from Hindu scripture and was also uttered by one of the atomic bomb scientists / engineers (Oppenheimer?) upon witnessing the atomic bomb test in New Mexico.

The full quote goes something like: "And now I have become death, destroyer of worlds" .

I think the quote is attributed to the Hindu god Shiva. As a further side note, I believe some Hindu gods are dual natured. The natures might be opposites, though I am not sure.

In either case, very few high schoolers are familiar with atomic bomb scientists or Hindu scriptures. Perhaps the perpetrator is a voracious reader?

If the perpetrator is not academically inclined, I wonder where he obtained the quote from? It does not seem like something one would readily find on a google search.

This could in turn perhaps indicate that he was being groomed, "fed" or perhaps directed by another party?

Possibly from a movie or on online forums, but it does point that he is well-read or at least curious enough to find this quote.

Lt Tim Willis of the county sheriff’s department told Judge Carniak that Mr Crumbley had “talked about shooting and killing students the next day” on the night before the massacre.

He said sheriffs had seized Mr Crumbley’s mobile phone through a search warrant and found a video made on Monday night in which he talked about his plans.

Michigan shooting suspect in court accused of ‘methodically’ gunning down students

Funeral services set for teen killed in Oxford high shooting (detroitnews.com)

Funeral services will be held next week for one of the four victims killed Tuesday in a shooting rampage at Oxford High School.

Visitation for Tate Myre, a 16-year-old junior, will take place at Kensington Church, 4640 S. Lapeer Road, in Lake Orion, from 1-8 p.m. Monday and from 10 a.m. to noon on Tuesday. A funeral service will begin at noon Tuesday, according to Lynch and Son's funeral home.

Myre was a tight-end/running back on the high school's football team and played on the varsity team since his freshman year...

Tate Myre Obituary - Visitation & Funeral Information (lynchandsonsoxford.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23