Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #102

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question - if someone can answer this?

My bro got the AstraZeneca vaccine - 2 shots - can he have the Moderna booster shot?

TIA!
animated-smileys-christmas-033.gif

The US has authorized the use of "mix and match" or "heterologous" boosters: (screenshot also)

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Takes Additional Actions on the Use of a Booster Dose for COVID-19 Vaccines

The UK has been giving Pfizer boosters to those who received AZ for their initial vaccines.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) booster vaccine

Covid booster vaccines: what you need to know

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/03/six...ive-when-used-as-boosters-uk-study-finds.html

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211203-135831.png
    Screenshot_20211203-135831.png
    190.8 KB · Views: 4
Here is another item from Twitter posted by Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding--a chart showing recent data on omicron cases, percent positive tests, and hospital admissions in Gauteng province, South Africa.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1466567787074113538/photo/1

I looked at Eric Ding's twitter feed earlier in the week. I noted then that he has a lot of interesting and detailed data, which I respect, but presented in a very alarming way. These latest posts even more so with statements like "I can’t tell you how worried sick I am looking at this".

It's important we get the facts but goodness me, I'm really glad he's not in charge of presenting the data at the daily briefings here in the UK!

People in the U.K who have had 2 Astrazeneca are being given Moderna as a booster shot.

Yep, and other boosters are also available, we had Pfizer on top of AZ 1st and 2nd jabs. Both apparently give a good boost to those who had AZ.

Italian anti-vaxxer, 50, tries to dodge Covid vaccine by wearing a FAKE ARM | Daily Mail Online

an Italian anti-vaxxer yesterday tried to dodge getting the Covid-19 vaccine by wearing a fake arm.

The 50-year-old was rumbled by doctors at a clinic in Biella, northern Italy and now faces fraud charges after being reported to local police.

Medics' suspicions were raised when they realised the texture of his silicone arm did not match a normal limb, described as a theatre prop, despite the realistic skin colour.

Local media reported the man tried to persuade the doctor to inject a dose of the vaccine into the silicone arm even after they realised it was fake.

And in another twist, the man may have posted on Twitter to ask his followers if he would get away with wearing a silicone male chest half-body suit, including fake arms and neck, for the appointment.

The user also posted images in a tweet, which was later deleted, of the suit which is listed on Amazon for 488 euros (£416).

It is thought the man was trying to fool doctors into giving him a Green Pass - a certificate that proves the holder has been vaccinated, tested negative or recently recovered from Covid.

Since August, the pass has been required for indoor dining in restaurants, to visit museums, cinemas, theatres and attend sporting events.

The fake arm incident also comes ahead of a tightening of the rules from Monday in Italy for people who have not yet been vaccinated against Covid-19.

Italian anti-vaxxer, 50, tries to dodge Covid vaccine by wearing a FAKE ARM | Daily Mail Online

an Italian anti-vaxxer yesterday tried to dodge getting the Covid-19 vaccine by wearing a fake arm.

The 50-year-old was rumbled by doctors at a clinic in Biella, northern Italy and now faces fraud charges after being reported to local police.

Medics' suspicions were raised when they realised the texture of his silicone arm did not match a normal limb, described as a theatre prop, despite the realistic skin colour.

Local media reported the man tried to persuade the doctor to inject a dose of the vaccine into the silicone arm even after they realised it was fake.

And in another twist, the man may have posted on Twitter to ask his followers if he would get away with wearing a silicone male chest half-body suit, including fake arms and neck, for the appointment.

The user also posted images in a tweet, which was later deleted, of the suit which is listed on Amazon for 488 euros (£416).

It is thought the man was trying to fool doctors into giving him a Green Pass - a certificate that proves the holder has been vaccinated, tested negative or recently recovered from Covid.

Since August, the pass has been required for indoor dining in restaurants, to visit museums, cinemas, theatres and attend sporting events.

The fake arm incident also comes ahead of a tightening of the rules from Monday in Italy for people who have not yet been vaccinated against Covid-19.

I saw that earlier on another forum, seems quite amusing initially until you realise just how selfish and irresponsible it is.

One of the downsides with articles from the Daily Mail is you have to see all that click bait garbage on there :eek:

Now, more than ever, I don't see that the vaccines are really helping much. People who have had vaccines, have died from Covid.

It is masking, and social distancing that will be the best protection.
How are vaccines not helping? There is a large reduction in deaths in the vaccinated compared to un-vaccinated. It's like saying wearing seat belts isn't helpful since some people who wore seat bets have died.

Now, more than ever, I don't see that the vaccines are really helping much. People who have had vaccines, have died from Covid.

Unfortunately I think you are right. People will either carry on like there is no pandemic, or forever live masked and distanced. I can tell from comments on our State's Department of Health twitter feed that the failure of vaccines to provide perfect protection has just reinforced a belief in quackery amongst anti-vaxers and virus deniers.

Here are the statistics from my local hospital system, which clearly show that fewer vaxxed patients are hospitalized, in ICU, on ventilators, and dying, mostly over 65. So I would say the vaccines are helping. And of course masks and social distancing are still strongly recommended even for ones who are vaxxed.

https://www.asante.org/app/files/pu...c2a8133/Asante_COVID-19_Cases_Infographic.pdf

How are vaccines not helping? There is a large reduction in deaths in the vaccinated compared to un-vaccinated. It's like saying wearing seat belts isn't helpful since some people who wore seat bets have died.

Exactly. So, it is a crap shoot. You can have the vaccine, still catch Covid and die.

Mask, and social distancing is the key.

Our state of Northern Territory has just had its first covid death. Seems a little unreal that there is a place that hadn't had a covid death yet.
Especially when NT has been receiving covid positive incoming travellers for a long time now, as well as the cases some US servicemen have brought to NT.

The deceased person is indigenous. They have been trying very hard to protect the indigenous.

I think this is a testament to how well quarantine works.

Woman, 78, from Binjari becomes first NT death from coronavirus, police launch criminal investigation

Below is a little bit scary article. We need to do everything possible to prevent from getting severely ill from Covid, Period. Getting vaccinated, masking, staying home as much as possible. My vaccinated family got together for Thanksgiving this year. We all wore masks inside and our unusually warm weather allowed us to eat outside comfortably. It was more work but we stayed safe ( I think, and I hope).

Having severe COVID-19 doubled the chance of dying within a year in a new study — the risk was even higher for young people
A new study tracked nearly 180 hospitalized COVID-19 patients in Florida for up to a year.
Adults with severe COVID-19 were twice as likely as uninfected people to die within a year.
Persistent inflammation may continue to jeopardize patients' health.

Nearly 180 people left the University of Florida health system alive after being hospitalized with severe COVID-19 during the US's first wave of coronavirus infections.

But within a year, more than half of those recovered patients had died, according to a study from University of Florida researchers published Wednesday.

The researchers examined more than 13,000 patient records from January to June of last year, before vaccines were available. They identified 93 patients hospitalized with severe COVID-19 who died between one and 12 months after they were discharged from the hospital — a sign that long-term complications from the disease continued to jeopardize their health.

The study found that adults who recovered from severe COVID-19 were twice as likely as uninfected people to die within a year of contracting the disease.

"A lot of times when people have an infectious disease, they have it and then the episode ends and it's pretty much gone," Arch Mainous, the study's lead investigator, told Insider. But COVID-19 is different, he said: "Just because you get out of the hospital, it's not over."
... (much more info in the article)

Exactly. So, it is a crap shoot. You can have the vaccine, still catch Covid and die.

Vaccination is not an iron-clad guarantee that you won't die but it is far from a crap shoot. It gives you much greater protection than that. Only 7% of the adult population in Ireland is unvaccinated but that small percentage makes up 52% of ICU admissions in hospital. The partially vaccinated constitute another 5%.

Statement on COVID-19 public health measures - 16 November 2021

Nobody ever promised that vaccines would prevent all deaths @mickey2942, but as my hospital visual posted upthread shows, your chances of survival are greatly increased if you are vaxxed. And experts like Dr Fauci, etc have said clearly that you can’t just rely on the vaccine, but you need to combine it with masks and social distancing. Please don’t spread misinformation here. :)

Just saw this article. It is abit concerning if this is true.

The South African Government says the Omicron variant of Covid-19 is disproportionately affecting children under five as experts rubbish the notion that the latest strain is “mild”.

Government adviser Waasila Jassat told reporters in the Johannesburg area, where the virus is spreading widely, there has been “quite a sharp increase” in hospital admissions “across all age groups but particularly in the under-fives”.

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Just saw this article. It is abit concerning if this is true.

The South African Government says the Omicron variant of Covid-19 is disproportionately affecting children under five as experts rubbish the notion that the latest strain is “mild”.

Government adviser Waasila Jassat told reporters in the Johannesburg area, where the virus is spreading widely, there has been “quite a sharp increase” in hospital admissions “across all age groups but particularly in the under-fives”.

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

South African scientists have said they cannot yet confirm a link between Omicron and the high admissions of infants, which could be due to other factors.

Only a small percentage of positive test samples in South Africa are being submitted for genomic sequencing to detect the variant due to limited capacity. That means we cannot know for sure whether the infants in hospital were infected with Omicron, NICD scientists have said.

There is also uncertainty about whether all of the infants included in the data are infected with COVID-19, as not all are tested for the virus, scientists said.

For practical reasons, infants who present with respiratory symptoms are treated as if they had COVID-19, but they could be sick with another disease such as flu.

The province of Gauteng, where Tshwane is located, has experienced an increase in flu cases in the past month.

NICD scientists also said that parents with sick babies and infants were quick to bring them to hospital, while patients in other age groups were less likely to rush in.

Explainer: Does Omicron pose higher risks for infants than other variants?

Unfortunately I think you are right. People will either carry on like there is no pandemic, or forever live masked and distanced. I can tell from comments on our State's Department of Health twitter feed that the failure of vaccines to provide perfect protection has just reinforced a belief in quackery amongst anti-vaxers and virus deniers.

BBM From what I have seen, the anti-everything-crew (anti-vax/mask/social distancing/lockdown) are just making up their own statistics about deaths and cases anyway.

We can put legitimate information in front of them, and they will say it has been manufactured (because they, some-magical-how, know what the 'real' stats are).

imo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members