Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
[font=arial,verdana,geneva,lucida][size=-1]http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1875dfvic.html[/size][/font]

Julie Ann Garciacelay
Missing since July 1, 1975 from North Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: about 1956
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 166cm tall.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Long brown hair, olive complexion, medium build and an American accent.

This American girl went missing a year earlier in Australia. Originally from California she moved to Australia to work. Her blood was found but she never was. She did go missing under suspicious circumstances.

All the stats fit, and her photo looks like the Jane Doe.

A very huge long shot though...

About the unshaven legs - this couple was found in the mid-70's and it wasn't uncommon then for American women to go unshaven (both legs & underarms). I remember several of my female teachers having unshaven legs & arm pits during the 70's, and my aunts who were in their late teens/early 20's during that decade also didn't shave. I think it sounds likely that this couple was not American but wanted to put this information out there.

This female matches a lot of charactoristics of Jan Cotta missing from New Jersey June 23rd 1973. Her case is listed on the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children website.

Thanks for posting the update on this case. This is one I try to look up every couple months or so to see if there is anything new. It's going to be 30 years in August since these 2 unidentified people were found. I tried to do some extensive searching about 2 years ago in missing person databases in Canada. Apparently the man told someone at a campground his name was Jacques (?) and that he was the son of a famous doctor in Canada. I narrowed the search to the Quebec area since it is predominantly French-speaking. Of course, I came up with nothing. The Crime Library, that is connected with Court TV, did a story on them a couple years ago and they feature it on their home page every once in a while in case it will jog someone's memory. I think about these 2 people so often. I wish it would get solved soon, at least to even learn their identities.

Thanks again for posting this. Maybe this will get some much-needed renewed coverage with the 30th anniversary approaching!

I think she is more likely to be listed as missing than him - don't really know why I think that. So, I looked for women in several states that her jewelry seems to be more common.

The only thing I found was Lynn Ruth Connes from CA. Missing since May 20, 1976. Here's her link:

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/827dfca.html

There is mention of a silver ring with etching. Jane Doe had a 3rd ring that was not pictured.

Also, she was meeting a guy named Jeff who oddly matches the first initial in John Doe's ring?

Maybe this is someone she met and was planning to leave with so she lied to her family.

As to the unshaven legs, I wonder if it looked as though they had never been shaved or just not shaved in a while. And, as posted earlier, this was probably not that uncommon here in the US during the 70's.

liz325 said:
....I tried to do some extensive searching about 2 years ago in missing person databases in Canada. Apparently the man told someone at a campground his name was Jacques (?) and that he was the son of a famous doctor in Canada. I narrowed the search to the Quebec area since it is predominantly French-speaking. Of course, I came up with nothing.

Ontario has recently set up a new missing persons & cold cases website ---- see Posting No.16 in this other thread about helpful "Cold Case" websites:

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30259

Ontario has recently set up a new missing persons & cold cases website ---- see Posting No.16 in this other thread about helpful "Cold Case" websites:

Thanks for the link..I will definitely check it out when I have more time.

Here is a link from the Crime Library's story with actual photos of the 2 victims. I was looking at LButler's suggestion about a possible match to Lynn Ruth Connes who went missing from CA in May of 1976. I do see a resemblance but I just don't know...I know there's a link to the Crime Library story a few posts back but this is the page with their pictures from the coroner's photos to compare to Lynn Connes' photo.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/classics/mystery_couple/6.html

from the coroner. Lynn does not look much like her, I agree, Liz.

He looks VERY french and she looks Russian or German with that wide face.

I don't think they look like sis and bro?

I agree that they both have a foreign --European look (whatever that means but I see what your saying). He had a lot of dental work and I know that other unidentifieds have been classified a possibly not being US born and bred due to their dental work being of a different quality.

And her legs were unshaven--girls from the US usually shave their legs. How sad to see such a young, beautiful couple murdered like that.

LButler said:
from the coroner. Lynn does not look much like her, I agree, Liz.

He looks VERY french and she looks Russian or German with that wide face.

I don't think they look like sis and bro?

He does look French....I'm not sure about her though. Someone from LE in Sumter remarked in one of the articles I read that they thought she was South American maybe?? I don't think they are brother and sister either. But as I mentioned before, any searching I can do on him I have been limiting to the Quebec area since he told someone he was the son of a doctor from Canada, and with the reported first name of Jacques..I think the initials on his ring were JPF...I was looking for a Jacques Philippe or Paul as Quebec is mostly French.

Is there a possiblity that they were from Israel or another part of the Middle East? The "middle east" is actually a very diverse region that encompasses many religions, languages and races..........just a thought...

Totally there with you....his eyebrows, like mine, are very very thick ...suggesting a Mid-East or in my case dark Irish (you Know Spanish Armada connection). He totally looked Mid-East to me but I did not say it (still poss mexican). Her eye lashes were also very thick but that could be from anywhere I guess....possibly Turkish though? You are great at this!

kylie said:
Is there a possiblity that they were from Israel or another part of the Middle East? The "middle east" is actually a very diverse region that encompasses many religions, languages and races..........just a thought...
I never thought of Israeli or Middle Eastern but it certainly is a plausible thought. I just stayed within the realm of Canada and France because I assumed he was French. But he does look very much like he could have some Middle Eastern features.

LButler said:
kinda looks like John Doe. Missing 1973 from Canada.

http://www.doenetwork.org/

case # 1956dmsk

He does, but Percival is a bit taller and appears to part his hair on the other side (although it is possible that the photo presentation reverses that, I guess.) I notice that the hair in the photograph appears to be thinner that what is depicted in the police sketch.

Above there was an observation that the woman might be German or Slavic, based on the broad face. To me, she looks Native American, which would explain the jewelry, and also why she might be not appear as missing in typical databases. Native reservations are sovereign nations and have their own police distinct from those of the states in which they are located. There are circumstances where federal law and law enforcement are involved. What about tribal records of missing people?

About the gun: I copied this paragraph from Crime Library:

The man, who has since died, had an alibi: His wife was in a North Carolina*hospital, and witnesses told police he was there visiting her. Investigators, wanting to see for themselves if it were possible for the man to sneak away to Sumter County and speed back to the North Carolina hospital, timed the drive.

So he has what appears to be the gun, according to ballistics. But he has an alibi. Aside from the fact that eyewitnesses are often wrong about exact dates and times, the questions might be: who else had access to the gun? if he stole it, from whom? if he bought it or borrowed it, from whom?

It's not like North Carolina is two thousand miles away, after all.

Just some thoughts.

I just read another thread on here where bones were tested for DNA to determine the body's heritage. Couldn't they do the same thing in this case, to find out what their ethnic heritage is? It might held lead to where their family is.Here's the story from the other thread:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/3901100.html

If they have the serial # from his watch I wonder if it can be checked where that watch was sent to be sold...even if it's just the country. So much time has passed now but I wonder if they tried that back when the bodies were found and know but have not disclosed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member