MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The morning of the shooting, school officials met with Ethan Crumbley and his parents at the school after a teacher found a drawing of a gun, a bullet and a person who appeared to have been shot, along with messages stating, “My life is useless” and “The world is dead.”

Teen accused in Michigan high school shooting due in court

So sad that a 15 yr old thinks they are useless, must not have had a good home life.

Jmo

Absolutely not an excuse for murder.

His drawing was a cry for help. Sad no one thought it warranted immediate help.
Therapy 48 hours later was too late.

Oxford school officials accused of destroying school shooting evidence, judge orders them to preserve it

Michigan school officials at Oxford High School were ordered to preserve social media pages and other evidence in the school shooting case that were allegedly being destroyed.

Lawyers for siblings who survived the school shooting on Nov. 30 asked a U.S. District judge to order school officials to preserve such evidence and have social media companies restore missing profiles and posts.

U.S. District Judge Terrence Berg granted the request, ordering Superintendent Timothy Throne and High School Principal Steven Wolf to preserve information related to the case.

"Not only did defendants fail to take necessary steps to preserve the evidence, but they willfully destructed the evidence by deleting the webpages and social media accounts," attorney Nora Hanna wrote in a Friday court filing, according to The Detroit News. "Plaintiffs cannot continue to be blindsided by the defendants by having to search for what evidence is being destroyed or altered."

"It's a lie ... it's disgusting," lawyer for the Oxford school district, Timothy J. Mullins responded. "People think that the school district is withholding information? Everything that we have has been given to the prosecutor ... everything they want we've given to them."

Earlier, a question was asked about a guardian. A guardian at litem was appointed, Deborah H. McKelvey.

The found the guardian at litem is in the defendant's best interest.

On Friday, there was a stipulation for a protective order for the discovery.

Discovery is coming in and being provided. They gave 500 pages of reports and witness statements on Friday. They have a number of items outstanding. A number of the children at the school that are traumatized is delaying the interviewing. As the discovery is continuing to come in, they will provide it to Loftin.

Loftin - asking is asking to go through the discovery before the preliminary examination the next week. Moved to January 7, 2022. Initially set for remote hearing, but can move to in person if need be.

Ms. McKelvy met with EC on Friday. She has concerns that the confinement isn't fully away from the sounds of the adult inmates. Possibly requesting that he be moved to a juvenile facility. He's not able to benefit fully as other inmates are. His best interests are not in jail, but at the village. He can get human contact, services to help him through this. He could at least get school, and other things, he won't get at the jail. Pursuant to the statute, he is not supposed to hear adults.

Loftin - his client shouldn't be considered a menace to juvenile, as he never has been in any trouble before. It's one isolated incident. There are others housed at Children's Village that are charged with murder. He's being housed in clinic.

Keast: This can't be compared to any other case and calling it an isolated incident is not correct, he targets juveniles, he committed mass murder. This was planned and premeditated. This defendant is monitored every 15 minutes. He has access to medical and healthcare. Children's village is not a secured facility and there has been escapes in the past.

MCR 6.909 - place of confinement for juvenile.

Judge: I still think his conduct can be a menace to juvenile, and the appropriate place is the jail. The only thing that could be potentially a violation, is that he can hear other adults.

Keast: I can speak with administration and I will make sure that he isn't within sight or sound of anyone in the jail.

EC will remain in jail.

GAL arguing for his return to the Children's village where his needs as a juvenile can be better met. He can continue with schooling while there, etc. The Village is more geared to handle his needs. At jail facility he can easily hear the adults housed next to him and that is not supposed to be happening.

Defense attorney also arguing that he should be returned to children's village. This was an "isolated incident" by Ethan, who has never gotten in trouble for something like this before. Other peers his age who've committed severe crimes are housed there without issue, he should be too.

Prosecutor states this isn't "isolated incident" that this was planned and premeditated, there are no other comparable crimes by minors housed at Children's village. He should stay in adult jail. Children Village has had escapes in the past. I cannot imagine that we could put him in any sort of "school" environment there.

Judge only concern is him being in sight or sound of other adult inmates. Prosecutor states this will immediately be addressed. EC to remain in adult facility.

Oxford shooting suspect appears for probable cause hearing -- hearing adjourned, rescheduled (clickondetroit.com)

Hearing rescheduled for Jan. 7

The teen accused of opening fire at Oxford High School and killing four students and injuring several others appeared in court Monday for a probable cause conference.

Ethan Crumbley, 15, is facing 24 charges in connection with the Nov. 30 mass shooting. Authorities say Crumbley fired several rounds from a 9 mm pistol in the halls of the high school, fatally striking four teens and injuring six students and a teacher. The sophomore student was promptly arraigned following the shooting, and has been held at the Oakland County Jail without bond since.

Crumbley appeared for the probable cause hearing virtually through Zoom. The hearing was adjourned and rescheduled for Jan. 7 to give attorneys more time to review what they described as a large amount of evidence before a preliminary exam...

Unbelievable. “The Village” can better meet his needs? An isolated incident? Are these people high on something? And he doesn’t need school. He’s going to be locked up for the rest of his life. He kind of forfeited any right to having his needs fulfilled when he committed mass murder of children. Pardon me if I don’t lose sleep over his current predicament.
Thankfully, the judge called BS on the defense and GAL arguments.

Ethan Crumbley attorney: School shooting an 'isolated incident' (detroitnews.com)

Rochester Hills — The attorney for accused Oxford High School shooter Ethan Crumbley told a judge Monday that the teen doesn't pose a danger to other children and asked that he be moved from the Oakland County Jail into a youth facility.

"I honestly do not believe my client should be considered a menace to other juveniles," Crumbley's attorney Paulette Loftin said during a brief hearing Monday before 52/3 District Judge Nancy Carniak.

Loftin added of her 15-year-old client, who is charged with first-degree murder in connection with the Nov. 30 rampage that left four students dead and seven people injured: "He doesn't have a history of assaulting kids his age. This one isolated incident is all that we're looking at today."...

Unbelievable. “The Village” can better meet his needs? An isolated incident? Are these people high on something? And he doesn’t need school. He’s going to be locked up for the rest of his life. He kind of forfeited any right to having his needs fulfilled when he committed mass murder of children. Pardon me if I don’t lose sleep over his current predicament.
Thankfully, the judge called BS on the defense and GAL arguments.

I am glad that EC has competent attorneys and an appointed GAL - but my eyes rolled way back on this one.:rolleyes:

So Ethan isn't happy where he's at. Now he appreciates schooling and other kids his age.

Hummm....

Too late.

Next up will be the parents in court tomorrow:

CRUMBLEY, JENNIFER, LYNN
SCHEDULED FOR PROBABLE CAUSE CONFERENCE
12/14/2021 01:15 PM

CRUMBLEY, JAMES, ROBERT
SCHEDULED FOR PROBABLE CAUSE CONFERENCE
12/14/2021 01:15 PM

https://micourt.courts.michigan.gov/CaseSearch/Court/D52-3/Search?searchText=James+Crumbley

I'm wondering if their probably cause conference is going to get pushed as well, for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021