Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

Someone who is having a psychotic episode can also be a victim of crime, so they are 100% making sure.

Besides, there are aspects of this incident that do make you wonder, like the number plates. I, personally, believe, Jelani tossed his phone out of the window while still in Bloomington and removed the plates once in Peru maybe because he thought he was being chased. Perhaps changed clothes for the same reason because he didn’t want to be recognized. Along the same lines, it could be that Jelani went to the river to hide in the water from whomever he thought was chasing him, not to kill himself, in which case, the MOD would be accidental.
If he were hiding in a panic driven psychosis, would he have walked down a public road half naked and entered the water with his license plate in hand? Was he sane enough to remember to pack a screw driver to remove his plates? And how did he, in a state of psychosis, get to this hidden location in Peru without a cell phone or car GPS?

Having worked with several patients experiencing psychosis, I can assure you that logic is the first thing to go. I have never had a patient experiencing psychosis who would be capable of the kind of logic required to pull these feats off.

If he were hiding in a panic driven psychosis, would he have walked down a public road half naked and entered the water with his license plate in hand? Was he sane enough to remember to pack a screw driver to remove his plates? And how did he, in a state of psychosis, get to this hidden location in Peru without a cell phone or car GPS?

Having worked with several patients experiencing psychosis, I can assure you that logic is the first thing to go. I have never had a patient experiencing psychosis who would be capable of the kind of logic required to pull these feats off.
I don’t personally believe Jelani had his license plate with him at the river, but rather likely hid it in nearby bushes or something because it would have been rather bulky. As far as a screw driver, I have always carried a generic car emergency kit in my trunk, which includes one, and I am assuming that Jelani did, too (I believe many do). If that is not the case, then I would lean towards his car being stolen after being abandoned by Jelani.

My mom has been living with Parkinson’s-related hallucinations and delusions for a couple of years now. She has gone missing twice. The first time, she was gone overnight, and they issued a Sliver Alert. She was able to come home on her own the next day. She went to a Hampton Inn in a town that she and Dad lived before where they live now, checked in under a pseudonym and paid cash (she thought she was being followed - her imagination).

The second time, she was gone only for a couple of hours, and also started answering the phone after a while, so I actually went and got her myself with my daughter (this actually happened while she and Dad were visiting me and the kids), partly because I was afraid she would just take off if I had the police check on her. She had driven herself to a town about an hour away. She had never been there before, nor anyone in the family. No connections whatsoever. I asked her why there, and all she said was, “It just seemed like a good idea at the time.” She hadn’t looked it up on her phone or GPS.

Obviously, Jelani isn’t my mom. Completely different cases. But I have also lived with Major Depressive Disorder and PTSD for 30+ years, and having been hospitalized with those who are living with various illnesses, I have observed quite a bit in the meantime.

HBO's newest documentary series Black and Missing...Presented in four parts over two days, the docuseries focuses on The Black and Missing Foundation, Inc., a Maryland-based non-profit founded by two powerful Black women dedicated to searching for missing people of color when police and the media fall short.

Viewers meet co-founders Derrica Wilson, a former police officer in Virginia (she was the first Black female police officer in the city of Falls Church) and Natalie Wilson, a public relations expert. They're also sisters-in-law — two tenacious women whose skills and experience complement each other in their crusade to bring more attention to missing non-white people.
HBO's 'Black and Missing' offers an antidote to Missing White Woman Syndrome

Trevor Noah interviews Natalie and Derrica Wilson - Black and Missing Foundation
I saw these 2 ladies being interviewed on The View. Such courageous ladies.

snipped
People have asked why they haven’t asked released the video of Jelani leaving the dispensary. One possibility I’ve considered is maybe because he was acting strangely, and so out of respect for the family, LE decided to show the pics of him arriving only.

This is precisely why the FBI Behavioral Analysis Team would be brought in, and I’m sure they have been working very hard. IMO, it’s extremely likely the Director was the one who first saw the mental health red flags (plus the fact that he had missed several days of class) and got the ball rolling with LE.
While I guess it’s possible he may have had a sudden psychotic break in the few minutes he was in the dispensary, I think it should be clarified that he would not have a cannabis induced reaction there, if that’s the implication.
One cannot partake of any product while inside a cannabis dispensary. Everything is pre-packaged and then put in another sealed bag. There are clearly written rules that you may not open and use the product in the parking area, as well.
No one wants to lose their license over people getting high on dispensary property.
It’s not a hang-out, they get you in and out as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Although the facts really don't mesh well with suicide, they also don't fit in well with homicide. Much is made or Peru being mostly white, but JD threw his phone away in Bloomington. If he was seen leaving the dispensary with another person, I'm sure his mother would have brought that out. If he was somehow lured to Peru by a "catfish" scheme or other ploy, why would he destroy his phone when he could have easily just left it at home if he didn't want to be traced.

Anything other than an abduction at the dispensary would suggest that he was targeted by someone he knew. There should be some link to Peru on his cell phone or computer. I wonder if he wiped his computer history before leaving.

I still lean towards self harm. The scattering of his clothes and possessions suggest that he was wondering around, possibly ambivalent about his decision. I can't see a murderer spreading things around like that (why not just toss everything into the river?).

Jelani Day Update: FBI Offers Reward For New Witnesses, Evidence
ETA:
“The FBI announced a reward of up to $10,000 ‘for substantial information’ connected to the disappearance and death of Illinois State University graduate student Jelani Day, including new witnesses and evidence.

The Jelani Day Joint Task Force on Monday asked for full cooperation from both the public and Day's ‘close contacts’ and announced ‘enhanced measures aimed at identifying new leads’ related to the investigation.

‘Investigators believe the full cooperation of the public and Day’s close contacts may be key to understanding the facts and circumstances surrounding Day’s death,’ the FBI wrote.

[SBM]

The FBI said Monday the taskforce is ‘engaging in a coordinated, nationwide, multi-platform social media campaign to identify new leads.’

The reward aims to gain information about Day’s final hours and lead to the identification of new witnesses or evidence in the case.

The public can submit tips by calling 1-800-CALL-FBI. Callers can remain anonymous.

Members of the taskforce include the Bloomington Police Department, Peru Police Department, Federal Bureau of Investigation – Chicago Division, Lasalle County Sheriff’s Office, City of LaSalle Police Department, Illinois State Police and the Illinois Attorney General’s Office.”

Last edited:
Good to see the new efforts and looking forward to LE releasing more details about JD.

Jelani Day Joint Task Force Announces Reward — FBI

12/13/21

CHICAGO—The Jelani Day Joint Task Force (JDJTF) announced today, December 13, 2021, enhanced measures aimed at identifying new leads related to the Jelani Day investigation. Illinois State University student Jelani Jesse Javonte Day was reported missing on August 25, 2021, after failing to return messages from a professor and family.

Subsequent investigation determined that Day was last seen the morning of August 24th, at a retail establishment near the intersection of Veterans Parkway and General Electric Road in Bloomington, Illinois.

Law enforcement agencies conducted extensive ground and aerial searches following Day’s disappearance. His body was ultimately discovered on September 4, 2021, in the Illinois River in Peru, Illinois, and positively identified on September 23, 2021.

[..]

Additionally, the JDJTF is releasing an investigative poster on the FBI’s Seeking Information website requesting tips from the public and offering a reward of up to $10,000 for substantial information regarding Day’s final hours leading to the identification of new witnesses or evidence in this case.

Investigators believe the full cooperation of the public and Day’s close contacts may be key to understanding the facts and circumstances surrounding Day’s death. The JDJTF asks the public to submit tips—even anonymously—via 1-800-CALL-FBI.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation's Chicago Field Office is assisting the Peru Police Department in Illinois with their search for information regarding the death of Jelani Jesse Javonte Day.
Day, an Illinois State University student, was reported missing on August 25, 2021, after he failed to return messages from a professor and family.
Subsequent investigation determined that Day was last seen the morning of August 24th at a retail establishment near the intersection of Veterans Parkway and General Electric Road in Bloomington, Illinois.
His body was discovered September 4, 2021, in the Illinois River in Peru, Illinois, and positively identified on September 23, 2021.
FBI offering reward for information in death of Jelani Day

The Federal Bureau of Investigation's Chicago Field Office is assisting the Peru Police Department in Illinois with their search for information regarding the death of Jelani Jesse Javonte Day.
Day, an Illinois State University student, was reported missing on August 25, 2021, after he failed to return messages from a professor and family.
Subsequent investigation determined that Day was last seen the morning of August 24th at a retail establishment near the intersection of Veterans Parkway and General Electric Road in Bloomington, Illinois.
His body was discovered September 4, 2021, in the Illinois River in Peru, Illinois, and positively identified on September 23, 2021.
FBI offering reward for information in death of Jelani Day
From the link, I'm glad to see the FBI poster citing correct personal stats for Jelani. I mentioned this inconsistency earlier that I was troubled how when JD was first reported missing, his posters cited JD as being 6'2 when in fact he's only 5'10. That's a big discrepancy-- especially if you're Joe Public and you're actively out looking out for somebody! (I'd based my earlier opinion from his DL info citing 5'10 on his traffic citations).

OLD poster:

NINTCHDBPICT000681834250.jpg

NEW poster:

X5YTQ5CWY5EP5FCFJCFQN4SYNI.jpg

Last edited:
Jelani Day's Mother Calls FBI Reward, Social Media Campaign ‘a Publicity Stunt'
"I don’t need a publicity stunt," Carmen Bolden Day told NBC Chicago's Chris Coffey. "I need to find out what happened with my son. They want to act like they’re doing something. I want them do to something."
Jelani Day's Mother Calls FBI Reward, Social Media Campaign ‘a Publicity Stunt'

I'm a bit confused in CBD's statements about the FBI reward:

Bolden Day said this should have been done in August when she reported her son missing.

Why would the FBI put out a reward in August when investigators located JD's vehicle the next day, and his body was recoverd only 10 days after she reported her son missing?

I'm not reading a reward for an arrest but a reward "for substantial information" connected to Day's disappearance and death, including new witnesses and evidence,...

I'm also curious about JD's surveillance photo at the dispensary: While it's suspicious that JD changed out of his dress clothes (if he planned on returning to school for his 1 pm class and clinician appointment with a patient), I'm interested in learning if he typically wore a cap. I've not seen any photos of JD dressed down at school or ever wearing a cap and wonder if perhaps he was trying to disguise himself at the dispensary?

IMO, investigators are seeking cooperation from family, friends, and the public for relevant, personal information about Jelani's last hours-- esp from his close contacts, that might explain why he'd earlier skipped classes, and suddenly abandoned his appointment with his program director and instead drove to a dispensary, throwing out his phone at the same time.

I think if you can answer what happened in Bloomington, you'll understand why JD traveled to Peru. MOO

I have never seen a reward offered with that wording. Based on this info, I believe the FBI think family or friends saw some clues in what led Jelani to make the decisions he did that day. I don’t think there is a murderer out there. I am also assuming the phone must not have lent many clues.

If Jelani were having psychotic episodes, would not the students or other teachers have noticed? Wouldn't that kind of bizarre behavior have been apparent in either the Starbucks or dispensary video?

If he were acting anything other than normal the day he disappeared, wouldn't all the people who saw him that day have noticed? Would not the FBI behavioral investigation have confirmed those reports by now? Would there be this kind of delay in reporting MOD if a history of psychiatric illness or bizarre behavior was apparent?

I do think the missing person’s report was initiated by his mother, but I still find it odd that the Director who called for the well check did not mention any suspicious behavior beyond him missing class. Wouldn't she have known if something was off considering she was texting with him well into the night?
BBM
Where has it been reported that the Director was texting him ‘well into the night’? Where has it been reported the Director did not report any suspicious behavior?

To all the social media finger pointers that focused in on the dispensary since there wasn’t a video of him leaving, this article includes a picture of him leaving.

Watch now: Social media fuels speculation in Jelani Day investigation
From the link:

[..]

A spokesperson [for the dispensary]told The Pantagraph the company is facing "bizarre" allegations on social media based on Day's Aug. 24 visit to the store. A family member of one of those named in the posts reached out to Jushi to ask the company to help clear up rumors, the official said.

Some posts questioned why police didn’t release security footage of Day leaving the business, the spokesperson said. There also have been alarming threats of violence, prompting the business to file reports with local police, the FBI and Facebook itself, the official said.

The posts, the company official said, are "exploiting the confusion and anxiety of people” surrounding the death.

The newspaper agreed to a request by the company to not name employees because Jushi said doing so would invite additional harassment and threats. The information provided by them through a spokesperson was verified by The Pantagraph.

[..]

As a large retailer, Jushi deals with "internet trolls" for a variety of reasons, the official said. In this case, they’ve filed complaints with Facebook about the posts but no steps have been taken, the spokesperson said.

"Many posts have been reported for harassment, false information, and in some cases death threats depending on the comments, however, at least from what we observed, very little of this activity has been addressed by Facebook," the spokesperson said.

Facebook did not respond to a request from The Pantagraph to comment for this story.

[..]

upload_2021-12-19_12-22-59.png

To all the social media finger pointers that focused in on the dispensary since there wasn’t a video of him leaving, this article includes a picture of him leaving.

Watch now: Social media fuels speculation in Jelani Day investigation
Thank You for this.
So someone or some department released video of Jelani entering the dispensary but then the same someone or department could not or would not release video of him leaving the dispensary? Had they done that sooner it may have put some of these suspicions to rest. I wonder if family of Jelani has seen this video?

Why wouldn’t the Jelani Day Task Force have released this video? Instead, employees of the dispensary have been threatened and harassed.

The article does clear up some details, and I’m relieved to hear that some of the threats and harassment has been reported to the authorities.

I've been curious from the beginning why the AP and/or other MSM outlets seldom copy news by The Pantagraph which is typically paywalled for me. Perhaps the paywall block has been to build up projected revenue and subscribers:

Who owns the Pantagraph?
11/23/21

DAVENPORT, Iowa — Hedge fund Alden Global Capital has made an offer to acquire Lee Enterprises, owner of The Pantagraph. Alden already owns 6% of Lee's stock. Alden sent a letter Monday to Lee's board of directors offering to buy the rest for $24 a share, which totals around $141 million, in cash. Nov 23, 2021

Alden Global Capital makes offer to buy Lee Enterprises

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back