CT CT - Billy Smolinski, 31, Waterbury, 24 Aug 2004

I’d really like to see this case get solved, and have someone go to prison for what was obviously a murder of this man. I think I would have reacted exactly like his family did, following his disappearance-probably would have gotten into even more trouble, as a matter of fact

17 years and still no answers for Billy’s family.

I live in CT and have never heard of this case in the news or by word of mouth. I kept seeing his face on our incredibly outdated and inaccurately small cold case/missing person list online and had looked into the case a few times but only recently have tried digging a little deeper. I have quite a few questions, suspicions, etc and wish I knew more and could help this poor family bring their son/brother home. I see some old comments about the police files going public years ago but I was unable to find anything.. are they still available somewhere? Or would someone need to file a new FOIA request to obtain them?

Also curious if MG, CS, CH have been spoken to again all these years later to see if anyone’s story changed or if they are willing to share new info. What about any of MG’s friends, coworkers, acquaintances or any of her other kids? Friends or girlfriends of SK or CH, even ones from when they were younger? What about their teachers or coworkers, etc? Also the neighbor who claimed Billy wanted him to watch his dog? What could’ve been “up north” that he was going there suddenly after leaving voicemails for CS?

I have wondered as well about the location of his wallet and keys. Was he not wearing clothes with pockets? What reasoning could there be for someone to leave those items there? Was this normal for him? They would’ve had to be placed there after he went for food, which is supposedly one of the last things he did before going missing I believe, according to news reports.

*New to posting here but I’m a long time lurker. I hope I didn’t put anything in here that I wasn’t supposed to, but pls remove if so. I’ve wanted to post for so long but am always afraid I’ll do something wrong and break a rule by accident! *

Also curious if MG, CS, CH have been spoken to again all these years later to see if anyone’s story changed or if they are willing to share new info. What about any of MG’s friends, coworkers, acquaintances or any of her other kids? Friends or girlfriends of SK or CH, even ones from when they were younger? What about their teachers or coworkers, etc? Also the neighbor who claimed Billy wanted him to watch his dog? What could’ve been “up north” that he was going there suddenly after leaving voicemails for CS?

I read that 3 of MGs children had past -

Thomas Karpiuk, Jr 2008 - 33 y/o
Shaun Karpiuk 2005 - 27 y/o
Krystal Rapuano 2004 - 18 y/o

And Krystal’s daughter Brianna Hughes 2019 - 17 y/o

https://www.wtnh.com/news/missing-in-connecticut/

43_260.jpg

• William “Billy” Smolinski, Jr. of Waterbury – Last seen August 24, 2004 at 31 years old
    • Billy Smolinski Jr. was last seen when he asked a neighbor in Waterbury to watch his pet dog for a few days while he went to look at a car he was interested in buying. Smolinski Jr. left behind his truck, wallet, and keys. There is a $60,000 reward being offered leading to the whereabouts of Smolinski Jr.

Recently watched the old Disappeared episode featuring the BS case. Sad & chilling.

It seems that BS's disappearance may have had something to do with his ex-gf/her family. The episode reported that one of the last times he was seen was when he went to her house & climbed a ladder up to her room?! The fact that she was removing/destroying the "missing" posters for BS is extremely suspicious. I.e., if she had nothing to do with this - why would she care that the missing posters were up?!

I think the perp/perps committed the crime, then drove BS's truck back to his house & parked it at the end of the driveway. Then, before they left, they put his wallet/keys underneath the front seat of the car. His family said that he always parked his car in the front of the driveway (near the house). And, I don't see why he would have left the car without taking his keys/wallet with him - ridiculous.

Hopefully this case gets solved at some point.

Recently watched the old Disappeared episode featuring the BS case. Sad & chilling.

It seems that BS's disappearance may have had something to do with his ex-gf/her family. The episode reported that one of the last times he was seen was when he went to her house & climbed a ladder up to her room?! The fact that she was removing/destroying the "missing" posters for BS is extremely suspicious. I.e., if she had nothing to do with this - why would she care that the missing posters were up?!

I think the perp/perps committed the crime, then drove BS's truck back to his house & parked it at the end of the driveway. Then, before they left, they put his wallet/keys underneath the front seat of the car. His family said that he always parked his car in the front of the driveway (near the house). And, I don't see why he would have left the car without taking his keys/wallet with him - ridiculous.

Hopefully this case gets solved at some point.
Her other boyfriend was a married trucking company owner. I believe that BS's body could have been moved a long distance very easily. I think of his family often and hope they get the answers they need.

DEC 5, 2022
A decades-old missing person case in Connecticut is prompting proposed federal legislation.

Billy Smolinski disappeared from Waterbury nearly two decades ago, when he was 31 years old. His family still does not have answers about exactly what happened, but they say they encountered systemic challenges while working with law enforcement to search for their missing son.

Now, Help Find the Missing Act, or “Billy’s Law,” aims to close loopholes in America’s missing persons system.

[...]

Murphy first introduced Billy’s Law in 2009. It failed in Congress, but now he is re-introducing the bipartisan act.

“The fact that we don't have a centralized database of unidentified remains is really unfortunate,” Murphy said. “Your loved one could be sitting in a morgue, on the other side of the country, and you just don’t know.”

Each year, 600,000 people go missing in the U.S. At the same time, there are 4,400 sets of unidentified human remains recovered, according to the FBI’s National Crime Information Center (NCIC).

If passed, Billy’s law wound fund a database called NamUs, which stands for National Missing and Unidentified Persons System. Billy Smolinski has a page on that site.

[...]

Billy’s Law would additionally connect NamUs to the FBI NCIC so that those two systems could communicate and information would be consolidated.

[...]

DEC 27

(WTNH) – The Help Find the Missing Act, also known as “Billy’s Law,” was signed into law on Tuesday by President Joe Biden. The new law was named after a Connecticut man who went missing almost 18 years ago.

“Billy’s Law” will help close loopholes in America’s missing persons systems by streamlining the missing persons reporting process and ensuring that law enforcement databases are more accessible and comprehensive.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back