GUILTY UK - Rikki Neave, 6, murdered, Peterborough, 28 Nov 1994 *Arrest*

due to covid our courts are a joke now. There are cases just being dropped all over the place to free space. Obviously not murder cases, but it’s the knock on effect sadly. Hard to have a 12 man trial during lockdowns and social distancing!

I had heard on the news the courts were already in a mess pre Covid so it isn't solely to blame

Man accused of murdering Peterborough schoolboy Rikki Neave will not face trial until next year

A trial had originally been set to start at The Central Criminal Court - better known as The Old Bailey in London- on January 12 this year - however, it has now been delayed.

The hearing is now scheduled to start on January 4, 2022 at the same court.
The trial judge will be the Hon. Mrs Justice McGowan DBE.

Well, here we are in January 2022 and I can't find any update on this trial. Anyone know what's going on?

Red Lion Chambers

@RedLionChambers

Jury selection is due to begin today in the trial of James Watson for the 1994 murder in Peterborough of 6-year old Rikki Neave. RLC's Jenni Dempster QC leads Sally Hobson
@The36Group
for the Defence. #Defence #OldBailey #RikkiNeave

FJS_2PCX0AMxaFg

James Watson was aged just 13 when he allegedly launched a “surprise attack” on Rikki Neave and strangled him with his own jacket on November 28 1994, the Old Bailey heard.

He then allegedly stripped the boy’s body and posed him in a “star shape” in woodland, before dumping his clothes in a nearby bin.

[...]

Mr Price said: “Much of this reliable evidence was itself acquired during the first investigation, but its true significance and importance was misunderstood or ignored.

“This fundamental error deflected the focus of attention of the investigation. It took it away from where it should have been.”

As a result, Rikki’s murder remained a mystery until 2015 when the cold case investigation was opened, jurors heard.

Adhesive tapings from Rikki’s clothes were examined and a DNA match to Watson was allegedly made.

The defendant had been seen with Rikki on the morning of November 28 1994 and was spoken to by police on the day the body was found, the court heard.

[...]

He also told jurors that in late November 1994, Watson was “exhibiting a grotesque interest in the subject of child murder”.

‘Fundamental error’ meant Rikki Neave killing went unsolved for 20 years, court told

The court heard how Rikki was known to social services as a vulnerable child and was on the "at risk register".

Watson, whose father lived on the same estate, was in care and playing truant from school when he was spotted playing with Rikki on the day of the killing, jurors heard.

In his police interview in December 1994, he admitted being in Rotherby Grove with the young child, saying they exchanged a few words.

Mr Price claimed Watson had lied to police about the timing of their encounter.

He told jurors: "He knew it had been earlier. He was indeed still with Rikki at 12.30pm, but by then they were no longer in Rotherby Grove.

"By then, Rikki Neave was almost certainly already dead, and James Watson was still in the wood, keeping company with a child's corpse."

Suspect developed 'grotesque' interest in child murders, court told

I'm so relieved this case is finally in court. I used to live on that housing estate and Rikki used to play with one of my nephews at that time. As you can imagine I followed the case back then, buying the local newspapers and trying to work out the whys, hows and whens of what had happened to the poor lad.

It didn't help that in the original trial (of a different person, subsequently found not guilty of his murder) far too much weight (in my opinion) was placed on books the original defendent used to read for example.

Now with this new trial of a new defendent I hope that jury reach the correct verdict and poor Rikki can rest in peace.

Some info on the autopsy results, zip marks on Rikki's neck etc.

'Killer', 13, 'strangled then stripped six-year-old schoolboy Rikki Neave naked' | Daily Mail Online

Still on the prosecution opening:

Central Criminal Court 1 T20207051
James Lewis Watson
Details: Trial (Part Heard) - Resume - 10:31
Trial (Part Heard) - Prosecution Opening - 10:35
Trial (Part Heard) - Resume - 12:10
Trial (Part Heard) - Prosecution Opening - 12:21

https://www.thelawpages.com/court-hearings-lists/Central-Criminal-Court.php

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online