UK - Healthcare worker arrested on suspicion of murder/attempted murder of a number of babies, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
A nurse accused of murdering eight babies on a neonatal unit has appeared in court ahead of her trial.

Lucy Letby, 32, of Hereford, denies murdering five boys and three girls at the Countess of Chester Hospital between June 2015 and June 2016.

She also denies attempting to murder five boys and five girls.

Ms Letby, who only spoke to confirm her identity, appeared via videolink at Chester Crown Court from a room at HMP Bronzefield in Ashford, Surrey.

The hearing dealt with arrangements ahead of the trial at Manchester Crown Court, which is due to start on 4 October and is scheduled to last six months.

Two further pre-trial hearings were set for April and June or July.

Lucy Letby: Nurse appears in court accused of baby murders

this is going to be an interesting trial, wonder what her defence will be, I find it really hard to understand how one person could be solely responsible, but I am sure we will learn more as trial gets going, does anybody know if their are any blogs from inside court

this is going to be an interesting trial, wonder what her defence will be, I find it really hard to understand how one person could be solely responsible, but I am sure we will learn more as trial gets going, does anybody know if their are any blogs from inside court

I wonder what Lucy Letby's Modus Operandii was.

With Beverly Alliit, the deaths went up when she was on duty, and down when she was off duty,.....however, that was only circumstacial evidence and not enough to convict her, and it was only when police found empty insulin wrappers and vials from the hospital at her home, was when they could build a case. as the babies she killed had been killed with excess insulin.

I wonder if police found anything at Lucy's home? I'm doubtful, as after all, she was arrested on 2 occasions and released. Then subsequently arrested again. This time for keeps.

So, I'm just curious as to what the concrete evidence is that would convict her beyond any reasonable doubt....?

@annpats Or what they believe the Modus Operandii was and why they believe there was one. At this point there isn't one, as she is still "innocent."

Well, there must be evidence of one, as she's been charged with the offences. The CPS can't just say "Yeah, we think you did it because no-one else did."

Maybe it wasn't just ONE method for all the babies concerned...perhaps she mixed it up, killed them in different ways and means?

I still can't believe she did it all. But there must be very solid proof, for it to go to a trial and to have even gone this far.

This must be costing millions and I don't think they'd risk trial collapse without the prosecution getting their ducks in order.

Of course, "innocent until proven guilty" is really only just a theory, because no truly innocent person should have to be in prison on remand for over 2 years. That's freedom taken away right there, during the innocence.

Or you would have to have a good excuse why you couldn't.

Yes, quite.

Having to out your own life on hold for 6 months isn't something many of us would be willing to do.

That said, I'm sure there are many people who have got the time and would want to do it.
There should be a list compiled of potential jurors who are ready and willing to serve on long term cases.

I think I'd last about 2 days, especially on child killing cases. I really don't want to hear it all. .....and being on that jury you're going to hear it ALL. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave