GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess maybe my theory might work out then? I mean it makes sense, the accomplice thing, I strongly believe this was pre-meditated a plan with two buddies looking to kill someone they knew and did not like. What do you guys think?

Perhaps cousins, distant friends? There are so many ways it could connect, long-lost buddies, Exes. It's all very reasonable for the murders to connect. Two people out for blood, one-armed with a knife and another with a gun. It's all just hearsay though, I can't be certain, but it is an interesting query.

IMO.
I continue to think of the 9 cameras inside PP. One located very near to where the victims were found. According to LE, the cameras work, but, are not connected to City of Atlanta's camera system. Apparently, imoo, they were not monitored and activity was not recorded in the typical ways.
I ask, who, if anyone, would have known that?
Taking all this into consideration, plus the location being so out in the open, I speculate the killer did not care about or consider being seen.
LE has shown activity from cameras they monitor of 3 people in the area around the time of the murders. So, imo, there were other people around but the killer was not concerned about someone seeing or attempting to stop them either.
I would further speculate that if the killer knew the victim they would not want to be seen by witnesses or cameras. It would be too easy to identify them.
The victim was walking the dog, something she did most every night, usually at late hours, according to friends & family.
I can only theorize that the killer saw an opportunity to kill. A sudden, brazen & gruesome attack that had been planned in the warped mind over & over.
I can only hope evidence was left that LE can use to convict this maniac and make the world a little bit safer.

JMOHO.

There were a stunning number of murders in the Atlanta area. I just don't see how these two are connected.

They're not. Different crimes -- different MOs, different weapons, different wounds/methods. Even different victim demographics. About the only thing the two have in common is that both victims were women.

IMO.
I continue to think of the 9 cameras inside PP. One located very near to where the victims were found. According to LE, the cameras work, but, are not connected to City of Atlanta's camera system. Apparently, imoo, they were not monitored and activity was not recorded in the typical ways.
Taking all this into consideration, plus the location being so out in the open, I speculate the killer did not care about or consider being seen.
LE has shown activity from cameras they monitor of 3 people in the area around the time of the murders. So, imo, there were other people around but the killer was not concerned about someone seeing or attempting to stop them either. <snipped for space>
JMOHO.

What gets me about this case every time I think about it, is -- and I'm sorry if this is graphic -- how messy/gory the crime scene must have been, and how the park was open for business as usual just days later. Wasn't there some kind of event held there, not long after? That's what makes me wonder if the attack took place somewhere else.

@BGGS. The park was open the very next morning after the murder took place; just like nothing happened. And yes, the Dogwood Festival was the next weekend, August 6-8.
I agree with you about the messy crime scene, but just don’t see how someone could carry or drag a body through the park to the site where it was found. Especially with people still walking in and near the park. It’s definitely mind boggling how this crime was committed in a relatively open area with no known witnesses. I’m still hopeful that LE has evidence that we aren’t aware of.

IMO.
LE has shown activity from cameras they monitor of 3 people in the area around the time of the murders. So, imo, there were other people around but the killer was not concerned about someone seeing or attempting to stop them either.
I would further speculate that if the killer knew the victim they would not want to be seen by witnesses or cameras. It would be too easy to identify them.
The victim was walking the dog, something she did most every night, usually at late hours, according to friends & family.
I can only theorize that the killer saw an opportunity to kill. A sudden, brazen & gruesome attack that had been planned in the warped mind over & over.
I can only hope evidence was left that LE can use to convict this maniac and make the world a little bit safer.

JMOHO.

Yes, who would not be concerned about being seen? IMO the murderer is someone who carefully planned to do this--and who both KJ and B initially would have trusted, or at least not have been alarmed by. Someone who knew that part of the park well. And someone who was aware that in the area of the park where KJ & B were killed, no cameras would capture anything.

@BGGS. The park was open the very next morning after the murder took place; just like nothing happened. And yes, the Dogwood Festival was the next weekend, August 6-8.
I agree with you about the messy crime scene, but just don’t see how someone could carry or drag a body through the park to the site where it was found. Especially with people still walking in and near the park. It’s definitely mind boggling how this crime was committed in a relatively open area with no known witnesses. I’m still hopeful that LE has evidence that we aren’t aware of.

That creeps me out. I don't think I would be comfortable in that park...the next day, after a woman and dog were brutally murdered. Or even now. The killer has not been identified.

Who feels safe in Atlanta?

Please help clear up some details. TIA

Was Katie found 100' inside the park or 100 yards? Huge difference between those two distances. Her friend says 100' inside the park but some news outlets have it at 100 yards.

Bowie was found in the middle of a concrete pathway or is that like a one way street thru the park? His location would be highly noticeable to passersby but as Katie's partner said, she ran to Bowie not knowing the precious dog had passed away. Guess she thought for a moment that she was sleeping? So oddly brazen that the killer was brave enough to leave Bowie in such a visible position.

I think the event occurred 100 yards into the park and Bowie was 100' from its owner but really want the truth, please.

That creeps me out. I don't think I would be comfortable in that park...the next day, after a woman and dog were brutally murdered. Or even now. The killer has not been identified.

Who feels safe in Atlanta?
I found it very odd and unsettling that the park was open the next day, even more so that a festival was held there the next weekend.
I went to the park the day before the dogwood festival. Vendors were setting up, skateboarders and bikes riding by the crime scene. A small reggae band was playing just feet away, families with children were picnicking near by. My guess was that most of those people had no idea what had happened in that spot just days before.
It was weird.

Please help clear up some details. TIA

Was Katie found 100' inside the park or 100 yards? Huge difference between those two distances. Her friend says 100' inside the park but some news outlets have it at 100 yards.

Bowie was found in the middle of a concrete pathway or is that like a one way street thru the park? His location would be highly noticeable to passersby but as Katie's partner said, she ran to Bowie not knowing the precious dog had passed away. Guess she thought for a moment that she was sleeping? So oddly brazen that the killer was brave enough to leave Bowie in such a visible position.

I think the event occurred 100 yards into the park and Bowie was 100' from its owner but really want the truth, please.
I am not good at estimating distances but definately not 100 yards. Iirc Bowie was 50feet in and Katie was 50 feet beyond Bowie.
Did you see the video of a jogger who did a quick dash into the park? LE was looking to talk to him to find out if he witnessed anything. Any way, you can see the jogger run a short distance into the park so the camera that caught the jogger could see into the park 40-50 feet, imo.

The road that goes into the park is not open to cars. A gate is there to prevent cars from driving in.

eta I took a video the day I was at the park before the festival. Was thinking I could share it here to give people who have not been there a feel for the location. But I have not been able to download it, the file is too big.
Eta the jogger video is the the first few seconds of this video. I think Bowie’s body would be just out of view.

Last edited:
If the girlfriend was able to use the find my phone app to find her, then is there a record of her previous steps? That might help clear up whether or not she was attacked there, or elsewhere and placed there. I don’t recall reading anything about this in news articles.. maybe it’s being intentionally withheld (because it seems like an easy clue to pinpoint time and place of attack). JMO!

I am not good at estimating distances but definately not 100 yards. Iirc Bowie was 50feet in and Katie was 50 feet beyond Bowie.
Did you see the video of a jogger who did a quick dash into the park? LE was looking to talk to him to find out if he witnessed anything. Any way, you can see the jogger run a short distance into the park so the camera that caught the jogger could see into the park 40-50 feet, imo.

The road that goes into the park is not open to cars. A gate is there to prevent cars from driving in.

eta I took a video the day I was at the park before the festival. Was thinking I could share it here to give people who have not been there a feel for the location. But I have not been able to download it, the file is too big.
Eta the jogger video is the the first few seconds of this video. I think Bowie’s body would be just out of view.

Thank you so much! Such an interesting timeline ...

12:09 am - Katie is seen on the rainbow crosswalk with Bowie about to enter Piedmont Park
12:46 am - that jogger in green was passing near the CS exiting the Park
01:11 am - 911 was called by Emma

From what I remember EC saying, Bowie was 50 feet inside the gate and KJ was 100 feet from Bowie. I don't know if I'm accurate, but I pictured Bowie laying on that road not too far from the restroom, and KJ laying 100 feet away in the trees sort of between the road/restroom and the trail around the Meadow area.

It has always bothered me how close Bowie's body was to camera view. And I'm sure the jogger would have seen him if he was there when the jogger came in at 12:46. Then there's the d*mn restroom, right there in the middle of it all.

I still wonder if the attack occurred near the side of the restroom (the side with the trashcan and vending machine), where Bowie was fatally injured and only able to walk as far as the road before dropping. KJ could have struggled with the killer to the spot she was killed, or she tried to run, which accounts for the distance between victims. IDK. I just think if the attack started right on the road where Bowie was found, there could be camera footage of at least part of it.

12:09 am - Katie is seen on the rainbow crosswalk with Bowie about to enter Piedmont Park

So EC was the very first person to call 911? Was she the only person?

It appears the area where KJ&B were found is very dark at night and somewhat secluded, yet it's reportedly a cruising spot, and I've seen video of at least a few people coming in and out of that entrance. No one else saw anything, or cared to call? Hard to imagine.

It'd be good to know what path EC took to that exact spot. She reported that she had seen B first and thought he was a plastic bag. But KJ had the iPhone. So how far apart were they? I'm trying to visualize this.

Given Apple's software updates, different phone models, and so on: what was the likely range in July 2021, of EC's Find My iPhone app (assuming K had a newer phone)? How close did it come to finding KJ&B's precise locations?

Last edited:
18621410-FF52-498F-99AA-8662D346CA51.jpeg This is a screenshot from a video I took three days after the murder. Shows the side of the restroom with the vending machine.
From what I remember EC saying, Bowie was 50 feet inside the gate and KJ was 100 feet from Bowie. I don't know if I'm accurate, but I pictured Bowie laying on that road not too far from the restroom, and KJ laying 100 feet away in the trees sort of between the road/restroom and the trail around the Meadow area.

It has always bothered me how close Bowie's body was to camera view. And I'm sure the jogger would have seen him if he was there when the jogger came in at 12:46. Then there's the d*mn restroom, right there in the middle of it all.

I still wonder if the attack occurred near the side of the restroom (the side with the trashcan and vending machine), where Bowie was fatally injured and only able to walk as far as the road before dropping. KJ could have struggled with the killer to the spot she was killed, or she tried to run, which accounts for the distance between victims. IDK. I just think if the attack started right on the road where Bowie was found, there could be camera footage of at least part of it.
18621410-FF52-498F-99AA-8662D346CA51.jpeg

The timeline as we know it is one of the strange and unusual things about this crime, imo.
From the timestamp in the crosswalk at 12:09 to the 911 call at 1:11 that is about an hour. 1 hour for Katie and Bowie to arrive at the crime scene location and then be attacked. Imo the killer spent more that 10 minutes doing the things we read about in the autopsy. And, iirc EC was at the park for 10 minutes, maybe more before finding Katie and then making the 911 call. Tight timeline.

Some have speculated that the timestamp of 12:09 could be wrong.

In the video of the jogger we can see that the gate at the entrance is not closed and locked.
I would think it would be standard practice for the gate to be locked at night. If left open I would think that occasionally someone would drive thru it and joy ride thru the park. If this happened the driver could hit people who are in the park or cause damage.
Who knows if the gate being open that night was unusual. To me common sense says it should be closed and locked but common sense tells me there is NO WAY Piedmont Park does not have useable, working security cameras!!!!!!!

anyway, the gate is open. If someone drove thru in a vehicle or a bicycle it should be captured by the same camera as the jogger.

Was the park drive gate open? Probably no traffic cameras there. Would be a short drive to the crime scene…but a risky drive if you were up to no good because you would be highly visible.

View attachment 334238 This is a screenshot from a video I took three days after the murder. Shows the side of the restroom with the vending machine.
View attachment 334238

This is a very good & interesting pic to me K.jill. IMO it's taken from 40-50ft inside the entrance at 10th & CA. Very near the place where Bowie was reported to be found. There appears to be a street lamp on a black post about 15 ft away.
Can anyone make out what is mounted on the RR green wall to the left, near the vending machine? IMO it looks like a camera. It's mounted very low IMO for a camera. What is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member