GUILTY UK - Leiland Corkhill, 13 Months, murdered - died in Hospital 7 Jan 2021, Foster parents on trial.

ChloLo

Reaction score
Jury was selected last week then the case adjourned after the prosecution opening until tomorrow.

This is really tragic, particularly given that this baby's availability for adoption means he'd already been let down once.

I really remember well that stage of parenthood, and although some people take to it naturally, for many people it feels tedious and hard work, and you can't wait until they're older and more interesting. And although some days it goes well and you feel like you're really getting the hang of this parenting lark, other days it feels like you suck and can't get anything right. For many parents, all of that goes on behind closed doors, often without much support or even really anyone to listen.

But this couple, who for whatever reason had needed help to become parents and, to be fair, then had the additional struggle of realising that something they'd wanted so much was not what they'd expected and perhaps was not something they were cut out for after all, must have had access to so much advice and help, and probably had practical and emotional support only a phone call away - and, if it really all got too much, were in a position to pull the plug and end an arrangement involving a child they freely admit they hadn't bonded with and didn't love.

So I really have no sympathy and very little empathy, which I try to muster for even the most monstrous defendants on these threads. I don't even find them very interesting, which is pretty much a first. I just want them to get a really long sentence and have a horrible time in prison.

JMO

Details: Trial (Part Heard) - Resume - 10:33
Trial (Part Heard) - Witness Number 3 Sworn - 10:42
Trial (Part Heard) - No Event - 12:15
Trial (Part Heard) - No Event - 12:33
Trial (Part Heard) - Case adjourned until 14:15 - 12:52
Trial (Part Heard) - Case adjourned until 14:00 - 12:52
Trial (Part Heard) - Resume - 13:59
Trial (Part Heard) - No Event - 14:34
Preston Crown Court 7 T20217590
laura castle
scott thomas castle

https://www.thelawpages.com/court-hearings-lists/Preston-Crown-Court.php

I dont think there are any press at court, i cant find any updates

There are so many heartbreaking little details in this case, like the fact that they didn't want to keep Leiland-James but decided they were going to have to because the wider family loved him. The phrase they used - "he's not going anywhere" - makes him sound like a possession they thought they were in charge of.

I read in one of the earlier stories that they didn't like his name and wanted to change it, but were told they couldn't because it was his name and he was used to it. So they asked if they could change the spelling from Leiland to Leland, and were told that would be OK. But behind closed doors they called him James and asked their families to as well.

It's as if they didn't want the baby they were given and blamed him for not being some fantasy baby they'd imagined carrying round like a doll. The texts they sent each other are revolting: 'He's really ruined it. At least we have tried.' As if it was somehow his fault for not meeting their needs, when they were entirely failing to meet his.

As for not wanting to 'waste' the £170 fee for terminating the adoption arrangement... I really have no words.

JMO

Laura Castle shows very few parenting skills, I’m interested to know how they got so far in the adoption process.

I agree. Reading the court updates, many of the things that seem to have driven her to the brink just seem normal to me - a toddler who cries when he doesn't get his way, a small child throwing things repeatedly, cereal going everywhere when a child coughs while eating. I get that she was 'new' to parenting, but the fact of giving birth to your own child doesn't magically bestow patience, empathy and an understanding of these things upon you. You have to make the effort to develop those qualities, and some of us have to make more effort than others. You would have thought that someone who had gone through the adoption process would have been highly motivated to do so, and also that they would have had all the help and guidance they needed.

I also think she is massively minimising the cause of Leiland's injuries, albeit that she now admits to shaking him in frustration. I dropped one of my children on his head once! :eek: He was about a year old and at a very wriggly stage, wanting to get on and off my lap but needing help to do it safely. I was talking to a friend at the same time, got distracted, and he fell head first on to a hard wooden floor. Now, you can be lucky or unlucky when something like that happens, and the particular part of the head that gets hit matters as well as the height the child falls from, so I realise that when I tell you my child was absolutely fine apart from a socking great bruise on his forehead it doesn't prove anything. But the injuries the pathologists are describing here are not so easy to come by: 'significant' rupturing of the blood vessels in the eyes; impact injuries to the back and top of the head; bruises and red marks on his forehead, temples, ears, nose, cheeks and lips; bruising near his tonsils; bruises on his arms, some of which were old... This was not a one-off incident, whether of falling, shaking or anything else. It was sustained, habitual abuse in my opinion.

Live updates from Leiland Corkill trial: Day Five
'I just lost my mind' - Laura Castle admits shaking baby Leiland-James Corkill
Live updates from Leiland-James Corkill trial: Day Seven

Why do children keep being punished for normal child things?!:( Not talking solely about this case but the last few I’ve followedit’s been the same the child is “naughty” when really all they are is being a child.

Poor baby boy. Maybe there shouldn't be a £170 fee to terminate a potential adoption, though I don't know that would have made a difference in this case. I hope he receives justice. There messages seem to indicate he was repeatedly abused.
My opinions only.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back