Recovered/Located AL - Casey White, prisoner, & Vicky Sue White (Deceased), CO w/sher office, Lauderdale, 29 Apr'22 *Reward* #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. Many inmates at state prison receive correspondence from jail groupies. Strange I know, but it happens frequently. Most of these contacts are from prison groupies and not unusual. But correspondence from an actual corrections guard would have been a whole different level.
He'll probably get a lot of mail now. The groupies (and press) will be coming out of the woodwork.

At the 2:19 mark
I find that audio very disturbing but since you guys are hounding me for whatever I listened to it again. I have already posted this its the second time now and further I said that this audio was posted by others as well. I don't understand why it needs to be re-repeated. I still stand by everything I said in terms of context. One can see hte panic with Vicky. If someone cannot assume that Vicky is panicked I don't know what to say. All of the words I said I heard her say in that audio I stand by what I said. To me it sounds like Casey saying she has her finger on the trigger. Yes I heard the officer saying the window is broken and they are going to take her out. But the officer's statement is towards the end and close to mark 2:19. Even if Vicky shot herself towards the end close to the crash it was unfolding very quickly the whole event was unpredictable, and volatile it wasn't a pansy walk unfolding. I refuse to simplify this horror.

You say at the 2:19 mark.

By 2:19 CW is no longer in the vehicle. He is outside being handcuffed and lead away from the vehicle.

LE is at the crash by or prior to 1:40 and the audio is picking up LE talking. Investigator Shahine is outside the crashed vehicle and hears a gunshot from inside the crashed vehicle. CW hands are hanging out the window when Officer Shahine hears the shot. At 1:48 we hear LE for the first time say she has a gun in her hand. The gun is still in VW's hand after she shot herself. Intentional or by accident.

Possibly what is confusing to you is still hearing sirens? The chase is over before 2:19, the first responders are at the stopped vehicle by at least 1:40, but you can still hear more sirens approaching the crash.

This also helps clarify a bit: (I took this from @CharlestonGal post # 894)

Investigator Shahine:

"With my duty pistol pointed at the windshield of the vehicle, I could see a male driver attempting to stick his hands out of the driver side window. I gave multiple commands, to the occupants of the vehicle, so as to have them show me there hands. Due to the tint on the windshield and the angle of the vehicle, I could not clearly see any other occupants inside the vehicle. While giving my verbal commands, I heard one gun shot come from inside the vehicle."

I get it & don't dispute the crash at all how The Marshalls & LE vehicles stopped the chase, nor do I dispute the Onstar activation anyway it occurred, but regardless it was getting ever more dangerous, so it doesn'r matter how it transpired the fact is it wasn't becomeing less and less dangerous I think you may have overlooked that point I was trying to make and Vicky was aware of that as was Casey. Also, in the audio I posted in a response to a poster Casey does say her finger is on the trigger so he is talking to 9-11. In the audio the male 9-11 dispatcher's voice identifies himself and then Vicky is heard talking. As far as I am aware it went in that sequence. Look, to me Casey's voice did not sound panicked but Vicky's did (very sad.) Casey told the 9-11 dispatcher that "her finger is on the trigger." If he was taking to her he would say "your finger is on the trigger," but note he said "HER." He wasn't talking to her at that moment.

I think you need to listen to that recording again. Knowing what we know now; that LE were chasing them in at least three pick up trucks and were focused on stopping two armed felons. In the early seconds of the recording you can hear VW talking about stopping before the airbags kill them. You can hear reports that sound like gunshots, I think three, and each time VW is talking in a highly agitated voice both requesting CW to stop the vehicle and admonish him because he wanted to go to the motel.

Then you hear another loud noise. I believe that is the sound of the vehicle being pushed into the ditch. For quite a few seconds you don't hear voices because the sound is muffled, probably because it either fell out of its holder or VW's hand and she may be lying on it but you do hear many, many police sirens. Then you hear an indistinct voice telling someone to show their hands. That's a police officer telling CW to show his hands to prove he's not holding a weapon as they remove him from the vehicle through the drivers side window.

There's another gap of indistinct sounds but you do hear two more reports very close together. I don't know if that's when VW shoots herself. After that, you hear a police officer telling other police officers that VW has her finger on the trigger of the gun she's holding. That is not CW speaking, he's already in custody.

Her finger on the trigger is the reason it took so long to get her out of the vehicle. Depending on the weapon, a bullet can be in the chamber and go off if you remove your finger from the trigger. Cops don't sign up to be martyr's when doing their job.

Yes: It seems clear that they hit an unexpected snag in their plans and began to act in haste and in a panic.

But I’m very confused because I’ve thought all along that the snag was:

* Realizing from media that police had her alias
* and realizing that a description of the vehicle had been put out

But now I’m told they panicked BEFORE those 2 above ^^
So, the question is —-WHY?
I agree. Really the whole thing about the copper color on the car was a non-issue as they managed to buy a blue pickup and abandon the Edge before anyone even knew they were missing. Once they did that they had at least 24 hours before anyone would catch onto their next steps. In reality, they had at least a week. And yet they drove only a couple of hours further then shacked up in a motel.

Once they had the pickup truck they could have outfited it with a nice attached tent and laid low for a few weeks far away from where they were.

Either they had a different plan that went sideways or they didn't have much of a plan past changing cars.

HRK01538_2000x.jpg

Former U.S. Attorney: Jail protocols will change nationwide after Alabama escape

Snipped

“There’s a reason why Casey White wanted to plead guilty to a cold case capital murder and be transported up to Lauderdale County.”

I have been thinking about this and I totally agree, there should definitely be changes made. The first chnage I as a woman would be, No women allowed to work in jails or prisons that have direct contact with prisoners. Jmo
Absolutely no contact with prisoners by phone, mail. Jmo
In the article shared above, former Alabama U.S. Attorney Jay Town suggests ongoing "integrity checks" could help COs stay in compliance and weed out those who don't.

Town believes “integrity checks” should happen at least once a year with jail employees.

“It’s just a process that you get used to, and it’s necessary and it assures those that you’re worthy of that clearance and responsibility,” Town said.

I wish he had been asked further about how these are conducted and how they could help. It has been used with police officers see link below). Perhaps an employee annual review should include integrity testing as a tool for helping COs stay in compliance not just penalizing them for noncompliance?

I don't think it matters if its male or female. None of this would have happened if someone immediately refused to let her break protocol and walk out with him by herself. I don't care about her position. They could have immediately called HER supervisor for their permission. jmo.

I don't think it matters if its male or female. None of this would have happened if someone immediately refused to let her break protocol and walk out with him by herself. I don't care about her position. They could have immediately called HER supervisor for their permission. jmo.
Exactly. Protocols and directives need to be followed! Regardless of rank. It is too easy to become lethargic.

In the article shared above, former Alabama U.S. Attorney Jay Town suggests ongoing "integrity checks" could help COs stay in compliance and weed out those who don't.

Town believes “integrity checks” should happen at least once a year with jail employees.

“It’s just a process that you get used to, and it’s necessary and it assures those that you’re worthy of that clearance and responsibility,” Town said.

I wish he had been asked further about how these are conducted and how they could help. It has been used with police officers see link below). Perhaps an employee annual review should include integrity testing as a tool for helping COs stay in compliance not just penalizing them for noncompliance?

I fully understand 'integrity checks' for police officers, who, for all intents and purposes, largely work unsupervised for large portions of a shift, especially when on patrol, at least directly. I agree that 'integrity checks' could help corrections officers stay in compliance, but I would argue that if corrections officers' supervisors and directors of their facilities are properly doing their jobs on a daily basis, such checks would not be necessary. I also question who would be performing 'integrity checks', and would suggest that they be headed by someone who does not supervise the employee daily. JMO

Last edited:
I fully understand 'integrity checks' for police officers, who, for all intents and purposes, largely work unsupervised for large portions of a shift, at least directly. I agree that 'integrity checks' could help corrections officers stay in compliance, but I would argue that if corrections officers' supervisors and directors of their facilities are properly doing their jobs on a daily basis, such checks may not be necessary. I also question who would be performing 'integrity checks', and would suggest that they be headed by someone who does not work with the employee daily. JMO
Agree!

Updated: May 11, 2022 / 06:08 PM CDT

Casey White did not say anything about Vicky White when he was brought back to Lauderdale County Wednesday night from Indiana, where the duo’s car crashed after it was rammed by U.S. Marshals.

Singleton said he believes the veteran officer was conned and manipulated.

“I think he convinced her she was really something special to him but if you watch the video footage of when he was apprehended not a single expression of remorse, not a single expression of grief,” said Singleton.

Vicky White’s final moments were captured on an audio call with 911 dispatchers. She can be heard saying that airbags are going off and suggest they get out and run, telling Casey White to get them back to the hotel.

“She did not call 911, the car called 911 and just picked up the conversation. It was sort of difficult to listen to,” said Singleton.

Singleton said so far investigators have not discovered any communications that Vicky White left behind that might provide more insight into her mindset and actions. He said he called her mother to offer condolences.

“I really think she was struggling with the thought of having to come back here face her family, face her coworkers in light of what she had done, I think that weighed heavily on her,” said Singleton.
I know I'm behind, but did Singleton not see the footage we've all seen? Casey repeatedly asks about help for his "wife" and looking back as if checking on her. He might be a hardened criminal, but whose to say he wasn't in shock? They went from free as birds to busted and one dead in less than 5 minutes. This sheriff seems to have tunnel vision in regards to things he really shouldn't.

I'm not really sure if she cared too much, it might be that other correctional officers didn't care enough. I used to work for a government organization that had two public safety platforms, policing and corrections, among others. It was true that a percentage of correctional officers (COs) applied to the OPP but didn't get accepted. Whether it was education (lots of university grads in the OPP), attitude, failing the physical, etc, I don't know. What I do know from experience is that a CO position can be a burnout occupation and many of them should have quit years before they did. I remember one telling me it wears on your morale since you get locked in with the inmates every day.

It's hard to leave the salary and benefits behind even when you recognize it's time for a change. Currently the salary for a CO is between $55,000 - $82,000 per annum and that's just base salary.

Perhaps VW was the right kind of person in the wrong job because she was more the outlier than the norm. I believe the lax enforcement of protocol in the jail allowed her to operate outside the regs. The inmates liked her because she humanized them but it made her vulnerable to a form of corruption. Like many experienced people have said on WS who are familiar with the prison environment, most of what she did was a firing event many times over. There's this strange dichotomy between her receiving the employee of the year award five times while at the same time she broke so many rules. How did no one see this? It's baffling to me.
Idk.... we all know Sheriff Singleton is wishy washy at best, but he did say early on that his jail had high turnover, and gave the poor pay as one reason.

I know this to be true for most rural jails and Sheriff departments. My rural Missouri County Sheriff just posted that they are hiring a full time detective and the starting pay is $12.36 an hour. The deputies ARE the jailers here as well. Minimum wage in my state is $11.15 an hour, so I'm leaning towards believing Sheriff Singleton on that bit.

Maybe CO's in large communities or at state prisons make better money as your research shows, but Lauderdale County isn't one of them.

My rural Missouri County Sheriff just posted that they are hiring a full time detective and the starting pay is $12.36 an hour.
I live in rural Arkansas, and we are in the same boat regarding low pay for law enforcement. Starting cops here make below $20,000 a year, and it really limits the pool of desirable applicants. Most of the people who have better qualifications commute over an hour away to larger areas with better pay and benefits rather than work locally. I would not expect rural Alabama to pay any better.

'I don't know if maybe she had given up on life. She just started writing him letters and it went from there.
Wish someone could get ahold of them. That would give good insight from her point of view. And how did she get the letters through without being caught because that should be a big no-no. jmo.
Anyone can write letters to inmates. She was probably using an alias, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the aliases the Marshals published in the original orange escape posters.

I still don't understand the orange car. If the abandoned effort to paint it green was to camouflage it among the trees - and I think it was - why not just buy a green car in the first place??? Weird. IMO
I've always wondered if Vicky tried painting it before the escape to try and change the color, but she didn't realize how difficult and time consuming it would be so she just gave up.

Yes: It seems clear that they hit an unexpected snag in their plans and began to act in haste and in a panic.

But I’m very confused because I’ve thought all along that the snag was:

* Realizing from media that police had her alias
* and realizing that a description of the vehicle had been put out

But now I’m told they panicked BEFORE those 2 above ^^
So, the question is —-WHY?
I have thought all along the plan was to switch vehicles fairly regularly to keep ahead of the law. Each time they switched vehicles, it was done before the previous one was publicly outed. JMO!

Exactly. And that is a huge problem here...
A small town jail, a morally compromised long term employee, and a jail full of inmates from the surrounding towns...
Familiarity breeds contempt...
Birds of a feather, flock together ...
.... and apparently the DA didn't mind any of that ONE bit. This whole county needs an overhaul - the DA stating on record that he was aware of a CO skirting the "beauracracy" and did nothing about it could open him up to all sorts of problems.

Idk.... we all know Sheriff Singleton is wishy washy at best, but he did say early on that his jail had high turnover, and gave the poor pay as one reason.

I know this to be true for most rural jails and Sheriff departments. My rural Missouri County Sheriff just posted that they are hiring a full time detective and the starting pay is $12.36 an hour. The deputies ARE the jailers here as well. Minimum wage in my state is $11.15 an hour, so I'm leaning towards believing Sheriff Singleton on that bit.

Maybe CO's in large communities or at state prisons make better money as your research shows, but Lauderdale County isn't one of them.
Unreal the hourly pay. the position that I had pays close to 100,000$ a year now and that’s without overtime or anything.

I was in a job where I worked on 3 different programs that required 3 seperate/different security clearances, with that a had to endure polygraphs.

I also put in for a job within the company the had in the header for the job, Serviceman, I wrote in the job application that I was applying the, Servicewoman job.

I got the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member