GA - TRIAL OF Ryan Alexander Duke & Bo Dukes - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 *Guilty/Not Guilty*

Some other sites have the dm's that Bo sent Ryan but can't be linked here because it's not WS approved. The Facebook msgs by Bo helped me to understand how/why Ryan confessed (with certain details) within 2 minutes of LE beginning the video recording. However, please take note that LE did NOT begin recording Ryan until he'd been there several hours. It's obvious that they started the recording when they expected Ryan to begin the confession and not a minute earlier.

Perhaps the discovery will be released after Ryan is sentenced and will be able to see the texts that Bo sent to Ryan under the direction of GBI. In other words, it seemed to me that Ryan's video confession was being coerced by GBI long before Ryan even arrived at the police station!

While there's really no justice for Tara that was senselessly murdered and missing for so long-- causing her family so much pain, I do believe the jury got it right. Ryan was not the killer -- that was Bo. MOO
I think why Ryans attorneys took the case was because they knew he was being rail roaded and their were underhand tactics being used to ensure he was convicted, it was only due to these attorneys shining a light into the dark corners of the case that he was found not guilty, one of the detectives seemed to be able to pop into the jail and speak to Ryan even though he had attorneys on at least two occasions, and he did not record the meetings in the case file,
I also think they will be beyond shocked that he was acquitted on all but the one charge he admitted to, I think they thought it would be an easy case to get a guilty verdict

I hope Ryan, now that he is clean, will have a good life.
^^rsbm
I think there's a sense of sadness with Ryan and I think he's going to be punishing himself for aiding in the cover of Tara's murder for the rest of his life. I don't know that he will survive very long after he's released. Incarceration has been good for Ryan as far as getting clean. MOO

I think why Ryans attorneys took the case was because they knew he was being rail roaded and their were underhand tactics being used to ensure he was convicted, it was only due to these attorneys shining a light into the dark corners of the case that he was found not guilty, one of the detectives seemed to be able to pop into the jail and speak to Ryan even though he had attorneys on at least two occasions, and he did not record the meetings in the case file,
I also think they will be beyond shocked that he was acquitted on all but the one charge he admitted to, I think they thought it would be an easy case to get a guilty verdict
I agree! I was absolutely shocked that Ryan's defense had to go all the way to the Georgia Supreme Court to get funds approved for an investigator for Ryan's defense. Here the attorneys were already working for free, and Ryan was being denied the most basic civil right for a defense team!

I guess the State expected that the defense would simply accept the County and GBI's reports and recording! Unfortunately, I'm not so sure Ryan would have had much chance if he was represented by an overworked Georgia public defender that couldn't put up the fight this team did to provide Ryan what every defendant deserves. MOO

MTW 2011 wrote : "The State responds that the jury was given this information and they made that determination and case law says "that is a question for the jury". Defense asks for Ryan to be given a bond since he was acquitted of the most serious charges and the one charge is a bondable offense."

Um, a jury does not get to make this decision - in any state. The Prosecution was a joke, and this is insane. If not past the statute 2005 ( which it is, imo,) it is definitely past the criminal statute from the time of his arrest to now. Whether one likes this or not, it is law

^^rsbm
I think there's a sense of sadness with Ryan and I think he's going to be punishing himself for aiding in the cover of Tara's murder for the rest of his life. I don't know that he will survive very long after he's released. Incarceration has been good for Ryan as far as getting clean. MOO
He has definitely imposed his own sentence. I am hoping his being on the stand/speaking about it helps with the demons

VERDICT REACHED: The Ryan Duke Trial In Tara Grinstead Murder Day 9​

Starts at 33 min mark
Near the end of the video, the prosecutor announced that Tara's family requested that sentencing be delayed until Monday as they needed time to prepare their statements. Seems the court was prepared to sentence Ryan but for the family's request.

^^rsbm
He has definitely imposed his own sentence. I am hoping he feels

Also, I forgot to add: I wasn't a fan of the states closing. The attorney who did the closing was very off putting to me with his yelling. I thought their closing was weak. I liked how the defense listed out questions the jury should ask themselves - funny - some of those were my own questions at the end of the trial. IMO, MOO, IMHO
it was miserable to sit through in court. Shouting, capering, acting out. LOUD

Thanks for taking one for the team @Nina Michigan! There's no way I would have had the patience to sit through Jennifer Hart's drama. And just her voice makes me cringe. :eek:
I think her voice and demeanor had a negative impact on the jury...It certainly did me. But I believed RD's story...I think he told the truth and Bo Dukes is the killer.

It was Brad Rigby (who skipped out on the post verdict presser) who shouted and pantomimed his way through a holy roller style closing argument, Ms Hart ran the AV stuff for him

Monday, May 23rd:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 9am ET) - GA - Tara Faye Grinstead (29) (Oct. 22, 2005, Ocilla, still missing) – *Ryan Alexander Duke (21 @ time of crime/33/now 38) charged (2/23/17), arrested (2/23/17), indicted (4/2017) & arraigned (5/4/17) with 2 counts of felony murder & 1 count of malice murder, aggravated assault, burglary & concealing death of another. Plead not guilty. Held without bail.
Trial began on 5/2/22 with jury selection. Trial began on 5/9/22. 12 jurors & 6 alternates. 5/18/22: 1 juror dismissed for sleeping. 12 jurors & 5 alternates. State rested their case on 5/16/22. Defense started their case on 5/16/22 & ended on 5/18/22. Jury deliberations 5/19/22: ~5 ½ hours. 5/20/22: ~2 hours. Total deliberations time: ~7 ½ hours.
Court hearings from 10/13/17 thru 4/28/22 & Jury selection Day 1-3 (5/3 to 5/5/22) & Trial Day 1-9 (5/9 to 5/19/22) & Jury Deliberations Day 1 (5/19/22) reference post #591 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-29-ocilla-22-oct-2005-arrest.430005/page-30

5/20/22 Friday, Trial Day 10/Jury Deliberations (Day 2): Jury deliberations continue.
The jury said it’s close after 2 questions about “venue” as it related to the last count (6-concealing a death) of the indictment. Another jury question: They want to review State's Exhibit 293 which is the Wilcox County Conviction of Bo Dukes for lying about his role in the Grinstead case. Jury has a verdict. Deliberations from 9am to ~11am.
for more info see post #595 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-29-ocilla-22-oct-2005-arrest.430005/page-30
The jury has found Duke NOT GUILTY of the murder of Tara. Not guilty on 2 counts of felony murder & 1 count of malice murder, aggravated assault & burglary. Guilty only on Count 6-Concealing a Death; Count 6 - carries up to 10 years. Duke has already served ~5 years or so & is legally entitled to credit for that time served. Defense asks for Ryan to be given a bond since he was acquitted of the most serious charges & the one charge is a bondable offense. Judge denies that completely, Ryan will remain in custody until sentencing on Monday, 5/23/22.
for more info see post #595 here:
Trial continues on Monday, 5/23/22 for sentencing.

Accomplice:
*Bo Dukes: Found guilty (3/21/19) of hindering prosecution, concealing death of another & 2 counts making false statement & sentenced to 25 years. 10/22/20 Update:
A hearing was set for 11/24/20, in Wilcox County for Dukes. The judge will consider Dukes' request for a new trial.

@PhilHollowayEsq

Final day of the #TaraGrinstead #RyanDukeTrial starts at 9am ET

@PhilHollowayEsq

I would not be surprised if the defense brings up additional legal argument in court this morning on the final day of the #TaraGrinstead trial of #RyanDuke attacking the validity of the verdict on count 6 - concealing a death. There was clearly jury confusion on "venue"
5:15 AM · May 23, 2022

@PhilHollowayEsq

No matter what happens, #RyanDuke will be a free man MUCH sooner than Bo Dukes, who Ryan Duke claims is the real murderer of #TaraGrinstead Duke is legally entitled to credit for the ~5 years he has already served in custody awaiting trial
5:37 AM · May 23, 2022

@PhilHollowayEsq

The family of #TaraGrinstead tells Judge Reinhardt of the pain they have suffered since her disappearance and murder. "Tara lost her life and that left a hole in our heart that will never be filled" The family laments the questions they have that will never be answered. Never.

6:49 AM · May 23, 2022

Updated May 23, 2022 9:06AM

"We think the jury got it right, and we are very, very happy with the result," Defense Attorney Ashley Merchant said. "We believe in Ryan and we believed in him the entire time."

Prosecutors do not expect to file murder charges against Bo Dukes. They believe Ryan Duke was the killer.

"It’s been a 17-year nightmare for them," Irwin County District Attorney Bryce Johnson said. "I know they are disappointed in the verdict today like we are."

It was Brad Rigby (who skipped out on the post verdict presser) who shouted and pantomimed his way through a holy roller style closing argument, Ms Hart ran the AV stuff for him

(BBM)

I watched the entire trial and I was really interested in watching the state put it all together in the closing - and then boy was I disappointed but YES...your description of his closing is so accurate - I couldn't have described it better! (imo,moo)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back