GUILTY OR - Dan Brophy, fatally shot at Oregon Culinary Institute, 2 June 2018 *Wife Arrested*

May 24, 2022 at 3:41 pm PT
PORTLAND, OR — The case against Nancy Crampton Brophy in the killing of her husband, Daniel Brophy, went to the jury Tuesday, the 27th day of the murder trial in Multnomah County Circuit Court.
[...]

Tuesday, May 24th - Day 27 - morning session:

No afternoon session.

Okay - I'm "guessing" on the hours of deliberations. They started about 10:30am and went to 5pm. No lunch - well lunch while deliberating. If anyone can find anything different -please let me know & I'll change my notes. So I'm going with about 6 1/2 hours of deliberations for yesterday, 5/24.

Wednedsay, May 25th:
*Trial continues (Day 28)-VERDICT WATCH! (Day 2) (@ 9am PT) – OR - Daniel Craig Brophy (63) (June 2, 2018, Portland) – *Nancy Lee Crampton-Brophy (68/now 71) “wife” arrested (9/5/18), charged (9/6/18) & arraigned (9/17/18) with felony murder & unlawful use of a weapon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Bond was denied (4/29/20).
Trial began on 3/14/22 with jury selection & ended 3/18/22. Trial began on 4/4/22 (expected to last to 5/20/22, but will go longer). Prosecutors rested their case on 4/21/22. Defense started their case on 4/27/22 & then on 5/2/22. Defense rested their case on 5/18/22. State rested their rebuttal case on 5/19/22. Defense started their sur rebuttal case on 5/19/22. Defense rested their sur rebuttal case on 5/20/22. Closing arguments on 5/23/22 & Jury started deliberations: ~6 ½ hours (calculated: started ~10:30am to 5pm-ate lunch while deliberating).
Court hearings from 9/6/18 thru 2/18/22 & Jury selection Day 1-5 (3/14 to 3/18/22) & Trial Day 1-26 (4/4 to 5/23/22) & 5/13/22 reference post #380 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tute-3-june-2018-wife-arrested.375803/page-19

5/24/22 Tuesday, Trial Day 27: State’s rebuttal arguments. Judge read final jury instructions & sent jurors to start deliberations at ~10:30m and worked thru lunch until 5pm. (My guess!)
for more info see post #384 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tute-2-june-2018-wife-arrested.375803/page-20
Trial continues on 5/25/22 with jury deliberations continuing.

I
If I was on that jury, I wouldn't be able to get past her car being on camera at the relevant time and place.
I agree.

I was watching this on Court TV and then searched daily for articles online, never thought to come here until now! Bad!

I pointed out to my husband that I heard on Court TV that she estimated her house would sell for $700-800K but it went for less. So her belongings were moved out and someone else moved in. No one found the slide and barrel that she stored in the closet during all this. I think this shows that she discarded it, it wasn't just misplaced and hard to find in all her stuff.

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — The jury will continue to deliberate Wednesday . . .
[...]
A guilty verdict in the case must be unanimous among the jury. A not-guilty verdict does not need to be unanimous — it only requires 10 jurors to believe she is not guilty.

Judge Christopher Ramras said he would try to notify the court 30 minutes before announcing the jury’s verdict.
[...]

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — The jury will continue to deliberate Wednesday . . .
[...]
A guilty verdict in the case must be unanimous among the jury. A not-guilty verdict does not need to be unanimous — it only requires 10 jurors to believe she is not guilty.

Judge Christopher Ramras said he would try to notify the court 30 minutes before announcing the jury’s verdict.
[...]

Sorry to bother you but can't access the article - but does it say anything about "when" the jurors left yesterday? I went to 5pm for them on my "time" on deliberations. TIA if it has anything about the time. :)

Nancy Brophy found GUILTY OF MURDER in the SECOND DEGREE. "Yes" to the two follow up questions on the Jury instructions and verdict form
1 - During the commission of a felony, defendant caused or threaten the use of a firearm?
2- During the commission of a felony, defendant and victim were married during the commission of this felony?

Watch live: Jury finds Nancy Brophy guilty in murder trial​

PORTLAND, Ore. — A jury has found romance novelist Nancy Brophy guilty of murdering her husband, Daniel Brophy.
[...]
The jury left the courtroom shortly before 10:30 a.m. Tuesday to begin deliberating after receiving final instructions from Judge Christopher Ramras. Deliberations continued through the rest of the day, and the jury reconvened Wednesday morning to continue deliberating.

I

I agree.

I was watching this on Court TV and then searched daily for articles online, never thought to come here until now! Bad!

I pointed out to my husband that I heard on Court TV that she estimated her house would sell for $700-800K but it went for less. So her belongings were moved out and someone else moved in. No one found the slide and barrel that she stored in the closet during all this. I think this shows that she discarded it, it wasn't just misplaced and hard to find in all her stuff.
Nancy said on the stand that she packed and labeled the ghost gun kit, so it would be easy to hand over to authorities when they came for it. But she knows NOTHING about where the slide and barrel are.

Nancy Brophy found GUILTY OF MURDER in the SECOND DEGREE. "Yes" to the two follow up questions on the Jury instructions and verdict form
1 - During the commission of a felony, defendant caused or threaten the use of a firearm?
2- During the commission of a felony, defendant and victim were married during the commission of this felony?
Does anyone understand the purpose of #2?

The only thing that comes to mind is that DV is a cause for an enhanced sentence. Much like racial motivation is.
I'm thinking something like that, too. Second degree murder already gives her minimum 25 years behind the barbed wire, no breaks, no parole, no work camps. But maybe it also extends that..... More years are likely moot in her case (she's already looking at mandatory minimum to almost 100), but maybe it will increase her security level?
Are we thinking NB gets assigned to medium security?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back