TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am showing my age here, but I have never heard of YUBO, does it have a feature to report concerning posts/messages like FB does? I have reported posts that I felt were a person in danger of self harm and I don't think anything was done but at least I felt that I had done what I needed to. Perhaps if these folks had reported the messages etc..... hindsight....
If I correctly understand the media reporting on his messages to others prior to the attack, he was private-messaging/direct-messaging the recipients, and in terms of social media I'm familiar with, there is often no way people can "report" concerning/ominous/threatening private messages--they are encouraged to simply "block" the sender of said messages. However, I too am not familiar with Yubo so it's possible there is a mechanism on that platform for reporting/flagging private messages between two users. If that's the case, it's all the more infuriating that not one of the recipients did so.

Classroom doors lock from the outside, but can be opened from the inside. The handle from the inside opens the door regardless of the door being locked or unlocked from the outside.
If that's true then keeping classroom doors locked when children are in them should be no big deal. JMO.

You do. That's what concealed carry is all about. I've read a lot of comments on this site, but truth be told, the killer in a situation like this only stops when they run out of ammo, the firearm jams, they decide to commit suicide, they sit down and quit, or they are killed by someone else, often times by a responding individual with a gun.

No LE, or concealed carry, or legislation, is effective in stopping all crime, and/or murders. But for me, having been part of a sweep team in a public school, trained to sweep the hallways in the event of an active shooter in the building, I'd rather be armed in that situation, than not.

Armed intruder in the building. All classrooms doors to be locked. Some kids possibly stuck in hallways, bathrooms, etc. Sweep teams designated to sweep through the building, rounding up students, getting them out of harms way if possible. We even had local LE participate in trainings.

One thing I read on here, indeed, confusion can arise as to who's who. Upon sight of LE, sweep team members were trained to hit the floor flat out with hands on head so LE knew. We all had radios, and other details too numerous to mention.

I can assure you it was a detail that none of us cherished.

If I'm not in the classroom whose responsibility is it then?
I do not work at a school or have young children in school.
The teachers? Because that's not part of their training. They would need extensive training first.

If I correctly understand the media reporting on his messages to others prior to the attack, he was private-messaging/direct-messaging the recipients, and in terms of social media I'm familiar with, there is often no way people can "report" concerning/ominous/threatening private messages--they are encouraged to simply "block" the sender of said messages. However, I too am not familiar with Yubo so it's possible there is a mechanism on that platform for reporting/flagging private messages between two users. If that's the case, it's all the more infuriating that not one of the recipients did so.
reporting doesn't do anything either only goes into a black void at FB, and Twitter. The teens would;d have to contact Le/FBI and they need proof good luck with them taking it seriously but yeah it's a start.

Not calling anyone here out, but personally, I don't like that the focus is going to shift to all the weaknesses and/or mistakes made by the school and police rather than being kept squarely on this loser. Its VERY tragic that we now live in a country where we expect our elementary schools to be secure fortresses with highly trained police guarding them at all times. We are slowly being conditioned to accept that mass shootings are a normal part of life and its up to us to protect ourselves. MOO

reporting doesn't do anything either only goes into a black void at FB, and Twitter. The teens would;d have to contact Le/FBI and they need proof good luck with them taking it seriously but yeah it's a start.
That's probably what the shooters peers were thinking. Nobody will listen or care so why should I report him. JMO.

That's probably what the shooters peers were thinking. Nobody will listen or care so why should I report him. JMO.
Teens don't like to be seen as a snitch either and often feel no one listens to them., But for example reporting to to FB or Twitter rarely amounts to anyway. they may restrict or ban an account, they do not report threats to the FBI. the teens would have to do that themselves.

He worked 11am to 4/5pm, 5 days a week.
Minimum wage at Wendy’s.

Did he pay his own phone bill? Contribute to the bills since the family was struggling financially? Buy his own clothes?

Shoot his grandmother in the FACE multiple times over WiFi??
I believe reports were he was upset his grandmother contacted AT&T about his cell phone, and he moved in with his grandmother last March over an argument with his mother when she denied him use of wifi.

Not calling anyone here out, but personally, I don't like that the focus is going to shift to all the weaknesses and/or mistakes made by the school and police rather than being kept squarely on this loser. Its VERY tragic that we now live in a country where we expect our elementary schools to be secure fortresses with highly trained police guarding them at all times. We are slowly being conditioned to accept that mass shootings are a normal part of life and its up to us to protect ourselves. MOO
Agreed. Ultimately it is the killer’s evil decision they brought us all here. I hope that if there are things that could have been done differently the school and police will be transparent about them. Unfortunately systems involving humans are rarely perfect - and I totally get that that is not ok to many victims.

I agree that the blame on this tragedy lies primarily with the violent miscreant who killed all of these innocent people. That said I have a feeling that some missteps by the school may have made it easier for the shooter to achieve he's sick goals. JMO.

If I'm not in the classroom whose responsibility is it then?
I do not work at a school or have young children in school.
The teachers? Because that's not part of their training. They would need extensive training first.
Actually, in the school where I worked, numerous men and women had their concealed carry permits, they were trained. Some even Iraq/Afghanistan/Military. But guess what. They can't carry in school. So, yeah, there they are. Ready and willing to protect the kids they serve, yet can not. It's a shame.

Actually, in the school where I worked, numerous men and women had their concealed carry permits, they were trained. Some even Iraq/Afghanistan/Military. But guess what. They can't carry in school. So, yeah, there they are. Ready and willing to protect the kids they serve, yet can not. It's a shame.
It's legal to carry in Texas. So maybe one of the teachers was armed. I guess we find out soon enough.

This is an excellent argument for personal concealed carry. LE has no legal obligation to act. Ultimately, it is the individual who is responsible for their own protection.

I have a number of colleagues at our university who are licensed for concealed carry, but our state law is that they have to leave their firearms in their vehicles when on university property, they can't bring them into the buildings.

I think the K-12 teachers who would volunteer for concealed carry would most likely be teachers who are already licensed for concealed carry or have a firearm, and would get additional training on a school shooting situation and many of them would volunteer to serve in this way if given the opportunity.

I have a number of colleagues at our university who are licensed for concealed carry, but our state law is that they have to leave their firearms in their vehicles when on university property, they can't bring them into the buildings.

I think the K-12 teachers who would volunteer for concealed carry would most likely be teachers who are already licensed for concealed carry or have a firearm, and would get additional training on a school shooting situation and many of them would volunteer to serve in this way if given the opportunity.
If it becomes commonplace for school employee's to be allowed to have their legal CCW firearm at work would that be a possible deterrence to future school shooters?

Ernie Zuniga
@Ernie_Zuniga
https://mobile.twitter.com/Ernie_Zuniga
·
57m

Joe Garcia, the husband of Irma Garcia, one of two teachers shot and killed in Uvalde, TX on Tuesday, has reportedly suffered a fatal heart attack. Joe and Irma were high school sweethearts and married 24 years. They leave behind four children.
1653588639636.png

This is one of the most heart-wrenching things I've read throughout this whole tragedy. The casualties continue...

Attachments

• 1653614445583.gif
    1653614445583.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 11
  • 1653614445750.gif
    1653614445750.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 9
  • 1653614445895.gif
    1653614445895.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 5
  • 1653614446048.gif
    1653614446048.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 3
  • 1653614446195.gif
    1653614446195.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 2
  • 1653614446346.gif
    1653614446346.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 7
It's legal to carry in Texas. So maybe one of the teachers was armed. I guess we find out soon enough.

This article provides information on what is legal in pubic schools in Texas in relation to concealed carry. States with concealed carry laws often have exceptions or qualifications related to public/state institutions such as public schools, colleges and universities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member