GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
The producers of the Over My Dead Body podcast have been developing a film for some time. They may want to wait until the disposition of Charlie's case to complete it.
How far out do you think his deposition will be? How does this work? He was arrested a little over a month ago, correct? Will they want to get the depo sooner rather than later?

My wish is… come Tuesday morning - bright and early at 8:00 am that the first thing the State does is gets the ball rolling on getting a grand jury to convene regarding the arrest of DA.

How far out do you think his deposition will be? How does this work? He was arrested a little over a month ago, correct? Will they want to get the depo sooner rather than later?

My wish is… come Tuesday morning - bright and early at 8:00 am that the first thing the State does is gets the ball rolling on getting a grand jury to convene regarding the arrest of DA.
Hi Gypsy. I was suggesting they may wait until the conclusion of Charlie’s case. I do agree and believe wheels are turning to indict DA!

This is extremely well stated and in line with my opinions and beliefs. Any case against Wendi is tenuous at best right now. The best shot at getting Wendi, in my opinion, would be if Katie finally comes clean and testifies that Charlie implicated his sister in their conversations. Even if that occurred, Katie is a horribly damaged and noncredible witness and all of Charlie's conversations suggest that it would have been highly unlikely he would have spoken specifically about his sister's involvement in a plot. Wendi really is heavily insulated from the conspiracy so far.

That said, if Katie cooperates and does implicate Wendi, that would be enough basis to seek a grand jury indictment of her. I find myself imagining Cappleman getting indictments against both Donna and Wendi and then floating a plea deal centered on having the Markel family take custody of the boys. That would be appropriate punishment for both of them. Unfortunately, one can't avoid considering that these boys have been raised by the Adelsons who have misguidedly cut them off from their paternal family. It would be traumatic and terrible for them to be uprooted this way and, of course, they are victims here as much as Danny.
You post great analysis. However, a false assumption in all these discussions:
All of the evidence against WA, CA, DA was presented in the trial against KM and is known to the public.

For instance, Garcia told a cellmate that the family did hire another set of hitmen, who just stole the money for the murder.

There's a lot to come still, and this was a trial of *KM*, with the presented evidence tailored to get her convicted, not to reveal to the public every piece of evidence against other parties.

For instance, Garcia told a cellmate that the family did hire another set of hitmen, who just stole the money for the murder.

There's a lot to come still, and this was a trial of *KM*, with the presented evidence tailored to get her convicted, not to reveal to the public every piece of evidence against other parties.
I suspect they are holding back more evidence. If SG/KM can prove that they attempted to hire another hitman that would be huge and would be the only thing I think SG/KM could offer for KM to get a lighter sentence. I doubt SG can get anything off his sentence as he pulled the trigger.

Does anyone find it odd that they could not increase the sound for Katherine at the restaurant? I thought the CIA could enhance anything!

PURE SPECULATION: What if another expert enhances that video and now we hear Katherine and it absolutely proves DA, HA and possibly WA were involved?

<modsnip>

One thing I don’t understand is why, having been raised reform, did she marry someone who is Orthodox and keeps kosher, or did this just start after the kids were born? Was he kosher while they were dating? Did they only go to kosher restaurants? I really don’t understand why she would agree to a kosher wedding if she was not planning on keeping kosher going forward. That should have been hashed out before the wedding.

Given that it ended up not being a completely kosher wedding maybe she thought it was just for the benefit of his parents. I wonder if Dan saw the menu before and somehow DA changed the menu?

Of course it could be a possible miscommunication. I had a friend who forgot to order herself a vegetarian meal at her own wedding. This was many many many decades ago when there was never a veg option on menus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indictment is one step. Conviction is a totally different another step.

Similar affidavits were written by LE for SG, KM and CA at about the same time. Only SG and KM were indicted back then.

SG and KM were indicted together. SG got convicted in the first round of 2019. It required the second round of 2022 to get KM convicted.

There were rumors, which rumors are soon to be reality when the processes start earnestly for CA. Of those rumors, some say that a secret Grand Jury decided to green light the process toward an indictment for CA, but not for WA and DA!

For the same DM killing, using the same set of evidences, CA is indicted but WA and DA are not yet. This fact validates the arguments of TrialFan, VisLaw, and others, that WA could walk free at the end of this long night full of mares!

While talking about looking foreward to the eventual end of all of these! WA has shared her plan about name changes at the end of her nightmares. One day, WA will awake happy, eventually becoming fully and openly "woke" about her perceived injustices befalling her family and "other poor illegal immigrants". And then, WA will change their names, both her boys' and her name. And, neither Adelson nor Markel will be used!

The stars seem to line up nicely for WA! Largely unexpected positive changes have happened to WA's fortune. WA has started talking out loud about her future plans to change her fame. Let us wait and see!
Again, the state has not presented the evidence they have against WA. They are under no obligation to do so in a case against KM.

That info is new to me, AlferdPacker. Can you give me a link to any discussion of this?

Of course, that statement, if true, would be inadmissible hearsay. Given the lack of contact by Garcia to the Adelsons it would suggest such information came from Katie, and may presage why her testimony could become useful if she can detail it.
Again, the state has not presented the evidence they have against WA. They are under no obligation to do so in a case against KM.
I do appreciate people suggesting there may be more evidence given that the prior trials were tailored to Garcia/Magbanua. However, I find it hard to imagine there is any hard evidence of an Adelson conspiracy that wouldn't have been used in court. ANYTHING that implicated the Adelsons or affirmed a conspiracy would have been relevant and important to the theories presented. This would apply especially to Wendi. The testimony regarding her trip/3-point turn and Lacasse's conversations with her suggest the prosecution would have unloaded ANY evidence implicating her if they had it.

Florida is unlike many jurisdictions in its more liberal discovery provisions for criminal cases and it is possible the state has evidence they held back. My question, though, would be why would they? The prosecution opened with a narrative describing the Adelson conspiracy as involving the family and it was important for the state to prove that narrative as best they could for this jury.

Florida's sunshine law makes the entire investigative file available to the public (hence, the Over My Dead Body "Tally" podcast). What is not available so far are trial depositions and discovery. My opinion is that we've seen pretty much everything the state has that inculpates the Adelsons. Therefore, I believe the key to adding Wendi and Donna may very well be Katie's cooperation, which would be new evidence. As I've said before, her credibility is terribly damaged, but her testimony would still be extremely valuable to counter the motions to dismiss that you know will be coming.

That info is new to me, AlferdPacker. Can you give me a link to any discussion of this?

Of course, that statement, if true, would be inadmissible hearsay. Given the lack of contact by Garcia to the Adelsons it would suggest such information came from Katie, and may presage why her testimony could become useful if she can detail it.

I do appreciate people suggesting there may be more evidence given that the prior trials were tailored to Garcia/Magbanua. However, I find it hard to imagine there is any hard evidence of an Adelson conspiracy that wouldn't have been used in court. ANYTHING that implicated the Adelsons or affirmed a conspiracy would have been relevant and important to the theories presented. This would apply especially to Wendi. The testimony regarding her trip/3-point turn and Lacasse's conversations with her suggest the prosecution would have unloaded ANY evidence implicating her if they had it.

Florida is unlike many jurisdictions in its more liberal discovery provisions for criminal cases and it is possible the state has evidence they held back. My question, though, would be why would they? The prosecution opened with a narrative describing the Adelson conspiracy as involving the family and it was important for the state to prove that narrative as best they could for this jury.

Florida's sunshine law makes the entire investigative file available to the public (hence, the Over My Dead Body "Tally" podcast). What is not available so far are trial depositions and discovery. My opinion is that we've seen pretty much everything the state has that inculpates the Adelsons. Therefore, I believe the key to adding Wendi and Donna may very well be Katie's cooperation, which would be new evidence. As I've said before, her credibility is terribly damaged, but her testimony would still be extremely valuable to counter the motions to dismiss that you know will be coming.

The link to the previous hitman reference is here 'That's what we went to go kill that man for' - Sun Sentinelhttps://www.sun-sentinel.com › news › florida › fl-reg-fsu...

I understand about Florida's discovery laws but that doesn't mean the evidence was presented at trial, so the people discussing it here haven't seen it.

CA's discovery will be released shortly, and then we'll see.

Last edited:
I did enjoy Georgia’s interview after the verdict. She is always so calm, cool and collected — even after all the hard work and the 2 week grueling trial and no sleep - she seems to always be on her game -even cautious with her words while dropping subtle hints. My ears particularly perked up when Jack Campbell praised everyone who had worked hard on this case, and also said that much work was still to be done. He may have only been referring to the trial and conviction of Charlie, but I want to feel optimistic that they are still trying to tie more concrete evidence to DA and WA.

Any word on sentencing date for Katie - and another court date for Charlie? Can't access Leon County court site - is why I ask.

TIA :)

<modsnip>

One thing I don’t understand is why, having been raised reform, did she marry someone who is Orthodox and keeps kosher, or did this just start after the kids were born? Was he kosher while they were dating? Did they only go to kosher restaurants? I really don’t understand why she would agree to a kosher wedding if she was not planning on keeping kosher going forward. That should have been hashed out before the wedding.

Given that it ended up not being a completely kosher wedding maybe she thought it was just for the benefit of his parents. I wonder if Dan saw the menu before and somehow DA changed the menu?

Of course it could be a possible miscommunication. I had a friend who forgot to order herself a vegetarian meal at her own wedding. This was many many many decades ago when there was never a veg option on menus.
What about leaving town pre warrant for her arrest is released. What contacts could she have that will let her know if an arrest is imminent? The same people who may have tipped off the defense team prior to the announcement of the verdict? Pure speculation on my part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any word on sentencing date for Katie - and another court date for Charlie? Can't access Leon County court site - is why I ask.

TIA :)
Nothing new for CA since two weeks ago.
No specific sentencing date yet for KM:
STATE OF FLORIDA vs MAGBANUA, KATHERINE D
JURY NON JURY TRIAL5/27/20228:30 AMWHEELER
JIS​
SENTENCING TO TAKE PLACE IN 30 DAYS JA TO SET HEARING DEFENDANT REMANDED INTO CUSTODY

5/27/2022
648​
JUGVJURY TRIAL: GUILTY VERDICT 05/27/2022
JIS​
5/27/2022
649​
PSIOPRE-SENTENCE INVESTIGATION ORDERED
JIS​
5/27/2022
650​
CCCECASE COMMENTS FROM COURT EVENT SENTENCING TO TAKE PLACE IN 30 DAYS JA TO SET HEARING DEFENDANT REMANDED INTO CUSTODY
JIS​
5/27/2022
651​
NOBSNO BOND ALLOWED NO BOND ALLOWED
JIS​

Wondering what kind of preparations are in place in the DA household? Family lawyer on-call 24/7, ready to be at the condo immediately when law enforcement knocks on the door? It must be extreme high-anxiety knowing that the visit could happen at any time, day or night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member