TX TX - Julie Moseley, 9, Mary Trlica, 17, Lisa Wilson, 14, Fort Worth, 23 Dec 1974 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notice something very very coincidental about the cause of deaths????
Meant to say died only a few weeks apart and I don’t believe Albert’s death certificate loaded.
Two months apart, both died on weekend, and pretty much same cause of death, cause it seems like both died due to lung infection, likely the same lung infection that led to different damage done to the organs. He should be hospitalised before. Died just a day shy from second monthly anniversary of her death.
If they really did talk to Tommy then his story had changed. That is the wrong bowling alley though. It would be Wedgewood Bowl. I remember seeing something in another language like that and just got so aggravated with it that I didn’t interpret it all. I’d be really interested in what he and Debra especially told them. If they spoke with Debra I will be thoroughly and completely shocked because she will not discuss this with anyone anymore. So I’d be very interested in listening to their recordings.
Thank you for clarifying that, I won't finish my thoughts for now cause I'm just exhausted by that.
I don't know anything about their podcast, found it via google and comparing it to other out there they seem like they really tried to get some background on it instead of just repeating and re-writing something that's already out there.

And if Debra said that she was guarding the house whole day...
To really "guard" anything you need to know that something is going on.
It's hardly waiting by the phone if you're learning that something is going on around 8 PM and before 10:30 you're leaving to drive to the mall (if not earlier, cause it was probably much earlier, if she indeed drove to the bowling alley to pick up Thomas).
It's neither waiting or guarding, if you're still at home at 8 PM, then more likely than not, you just stayed in the house.

It seems like it could be a string of weird and quite unfortunate decisions (that can count as being stressed by the unknown and not having much experience how to act and what to do in case of disappearance/possible kidnapping).
But was Debra in charge of making them? These decisions I mean.

Not calling Thomas before 8:30 makes sense only if Arnold's had no idea that girls are missing till not much earlier.
But how on Earth could that happen? Who Julie's and Renee's parents would call first? Crowded mall? Some of the girls friends? Or the Trlica and Arnold's houses? Of course the latter, how could it be NOT the latter?
Only if they didn't knew the number, but how Renee's family could not know Arnold's phone number if they lived just near them? Even not knowing the number, they'd just go and ask. It's the only logical thing to do.

It's even a stretch to assume that Thomas could leave the Trlica house before any call could go in. Cause leaving workshop at 5 AM would mean that he could not leave it earlier than 5:30.
But this I can imagine as something that could happen if he just ran into the house, take a quick shower, then ran out to get to the bowling alley - then, whether Debra was driving him there or not, first call could come bit later.
So she had to get this call either as he just left or as she came back. Why not call him immediately?

The only reason for that I can see is if she was called by her parents, or called her parents right after and was ordered to wait by the phone, not make any calls and wait till the rest will figure it out.

Neither of these versions implies any doubt in regard of which bowling alley Thomas attended. Either Debra just drove him there, or he just spend well over an hour of that day, with his fil, in car, getting lifts before his weekly bowling meeting - how likely it'd be that they'd never make clear which bowling alley it was? The line was busy for almost 3 hours or bowling alley so crowded that whoever took the call from Fran couldn't find Thomas for almost 3 hours?

And what were they doing after Debra picked him up for the bowling alley (as he claims) and before they headed to the mall?
So 8:30 AM Fran calls Thomas as he's bowling.
Few minutes later he calls Debra.
10 minutes later (at worst) Debra should be there.
5 minutes later they should be both back at the Minot.
25-30 minutes to get to the mall and walk in... but whitnesses said that it was 11AM as they appeared.
So how they spend additional 1,5 hour? Even bit more than 1,5 hour? Hesitating and discussing if they should go there and try to search or sit around? Could happen but...

Let's not forget that Thomas shared only the letter from Rachel. ONLY the letter.
He showed Debra the letter.
He gave her the letter.
She drove to the Arnold's with the letter.
She handled their parents ONLY the letter.
Arnold's called the police, and police arrived.
It was 24th of December.
Police wanted the envelope.
So Debra called Thomas immediately to tell him that police wants the envelope.
So Thomas started searching for it.
He searched for the rest of the Christmas Eve.
He searched through first day of Christmas, where post offices were closed.
But thank God he finally found it on the 26th and delivered it to the police. IMO could do that much faster but apparently never heard of asking for stamped envelopes.
He lost it for a couple days but never trashed it, haven't tore it apart while opening and not caring about it enough to pay attention to where he leaves it.
It looked almost like he just got it in the mail that morning. And it was so conveniently mailed for the post office close to the mall, where he had all the reasonable excuses to be at the 24th, when his wife, Renee and Julie were missing.

I totally forgot about all that mess with the envelope.
Well, that makes sense. All letters mailed before 4 AM, even those from post boxes would have stamps from 23rd. But it was 24th. So either it was thrown into a post box late, past afternoon collecting, and post office got it first thing in the morning, or it was mailed on 24th, before mail from post boxes were collected or before post office was closed.
As far as Tommy’s account after work. Per his account he rode to work with Cotton and Cotton brought him home.
Anyhow his story goes that they closed the shop about 5 and Cotton took him home where Debra was. He took a shower and Debra dropped him off at the bowling alley and picked him up. Now that does add up to the fact that at about 11 he and Debra finally showed up at the mall together.
Not really. The fact that they showed up at the mall together adds up only with her driving him to the mall - at best, doesn't even mean that they didn't get a lift from someone else.
It doesn't imply that she had to be the one who dropped him at the bowling alley or picked him up from there.
BUT, Debra’s story was that she “guarded the house all DAY.” She NEVER left the house on Minot on 12/23/74. She was the one waiting by the phone. I’ve been told by someone very reliable that was at that mall that Debra and Tommy showed up about 11 together. They don’t recall what vehicle they were in. So many lies. So hard to tell which way is up.
So her story includes just one inconsistency? And it's about late at night, close to midnight while others keep contradicting themselves and claim one highely unlikely thing after another?

Maybe she doesn't recall what vehicle she was in, cause it wasn't her car and she only jumped in late at night, not thinking about cars at all?
For her it's possible, even likely - as long as it wasn't her car.
But for him? It's a thing to remember if you're driving your own car, keys to which you likely have in your pocket, or if you have to ask someone for a lift or search for keys at another location?

Maybe both Cotton and Thomas had a habit of using ther clients cars. Then it would make sense even without any great conspiracy.
If Rachel dropped him off at work in the morning, he likely wouldn't mention that cause that would cast a unnecessary suspicion (cause if she drove him there, she also might agree to pick him up, then her not showing up would mean that he should get worried or at least angry as she didn't showed up).
Then Cotton could even confirm his claims that he was giving him rides on that day - to keep LE as far from the workshop as possible, to not let them find out about any shady things going on there. Fran could do that too, it was their only business after all.
And as far as I know, Debra was running away from home before. So Fran already had some experience, may be not as shocked as Julie's and Renee's parents. She may instruct Debra to not leave the house and wait by the phone while she was calling stores to locate the girls somewhere, while not bothering her precious son in law with something so irrelevant what will probably solve itself before he'll be done with bowling.

If Thomas and Cotton closed the workshop at 5 AM, despite it being theoretically open for another half of an hour then likely there were no other workers around on that day.
How busy that workshop could be before Christmas?
Maybe not so much? Maybe it was no biggie to close it up early.
Maybe no abduction was needed.
If Rachel was the one who drove him to the work, she may be as well the one to pick him up.
If she wanted to accompany Renee with getting ready for that party, then she'd have to pick him up earlier?
Maybe girls did their shopping quickly and headed straight to workshop, and met only Thomas there?
He'd knew where they were, if some fight happened, he'd likely learn how much time he has till anyone will start to worry.
Dropping their car near the bus station would mean also dropping their car less than a mile from workshop:

1654131029246.png
Heading back to the workshop on foot would be a challenge, but it's not as crazy as to consider Julie, walking almost same distance to get into a bus to Houston. It's less than 7 miles.
For young man like him, relatively physically fit it'd take less than 1,5 hour.

From there he'd only need to take a shower and some time to calm himself down. At that point he had all the occasions to learn that Fran and Cotton will support him and back up his stories. Probably happened before. We're talking about people who were up to sign legal documments, allowing their underage, not pregnant daughter to marry a guy:
- who's already divorced,
- has a kid,
- who possibly proposed to their other daughter while he was still married,
- then switched his interest into the other one,
- dated her for few weeks before proposing,
- went for a wedding less than a year before his father passed away,
- gave them a lot of money without which they could go bancrupt quick.
Not the best parents of the year IMO.

I'm just theorising, still, but going for the least ridiculous and improbable possibillities... This is it. Hard to believe that he could be able to murder three girls, but there is no shortage of his equally ridiculous claims. One hard to believe is less unlikely than long string of ridiculous.

I think I went as far as I could, and this theory makes the most sense for me - with my still very limited knowledge. Some details that I'm unaware of could change my views, but as for now, that's it: the least ridiculous and the least unprobable.

I believe that it could happen like that:
Day started with Rachel driving Thomas to work. Then she came back to the Trlica home, probably ask Debra if she wants to go to the mall with her not long after. Debra, being still in bed refused. Rachel called Renee to confirm that she's coming, and then she learned that Renee got a promise ring and cause of that she got even more eager to be back from the mall early and look her best at the evening christmas party.
She arrived at Gordon, where she politely invited Renee's boyfriend and his younger sister to go to the mall with her and Renee; they both couldn't go, but 9yo Julie wanted to join them.
Julie called her mom, got permission.
They headed to the Army Navy store to pick up Renee's layway items. It was getting close to noon, so I think that's more likely that they would not make any additional stop. They already had just about three hours for the mall trip, it's not that much considering it's pre-christmas busyness and crowd.
I think that both: Julie's lack of money and Renee's excitement could urge them to hurry even more - check out few places at the mall and get to Renee's to help her look best at the party.
Renee wanted to be home at 4 AM, but that was probably the minimum, she could feel more calm and confident actually getting there bit earlier.
But - in this scenario they'd still have Thomas at the workshop with no lift home, waiting for Rachel.
Despite of Renee and Julie's homes being relatively close to the mall (10ish mins long drives in both directions), I think that if their goals were:
- to get Julie's home before 4 AM,
- to get Renee's home before 4 AM,
- to help Renee get ready for party and possibly give Julie at least 15ish mins to maybe check out her outfit or something,
- for Rachel to spend some more time with Renee,
- to get Thomas home, considering that workshop may be not that busy and that he was planning to close it up early and go bowling
then the most efficient way to do it all would be to:
1. Be quick with the mall
2. Drive to the workshop and pick up Thomas (20ish minutes)
3. Drive Thomas back to Trlica's home (25ish minutes)
4. Head back to Renee's (10ish mins)
5. Spend 20ish minutes there to maybe allow Julie to whitness Renee's outfit.
6. Drive Julie's back home and head back to Renee's to be there about 4 AM (25ish minutes).
OR
1. Be quick with the mall
2. Drive to the workshop and pick up Thomas (20ish minutes)
3. Get Julie back home (15ish mins)
4. Drive Thomas back to Trlica's home (15ish mins)
5. Get to Renee's (10ish mins)
First option would require them to leave the mall around 2 PM (2:20 PM at worst).
Second would mean leaving the mall before 3 PM (3 PM at worst).
That would mean that they would be at the workshop sometime between 2:20 PM and 3:20 PM

What I couldn't make any sense of with all these theories was WHY on Earth all three girls are gone? If someone close to them was involved, then it couldn't be premeditated to kill three of them, as nobody could guess that they'll end up together, and aiming at just one may not scare a serial killer or experienced violent offender but more likely than not it'd make the person close to one of them to change their plans and attack as the one will be alone.
So it may be an accident. To some degree.
It doesn't make sense... unless the stakes were higher, somehow much higher than facing consequences of accidental murder.
And they would be... if that happened at the workshop.
If that workshop was involved in some shady business still, maybe even with a sheer scare of buisness going down cause that'd get known as a place where (possibly, just my theory) an owner, accidentally murdered his underage wife, with two other underage girls whitnessing the crime.
That could destroy this business. And TT put his money and months of work, the most work he put into anything in his life at that point. That could be enough to not let that happen, even at the cost of murdering two more kids.
Thinking quick, he still had enough time to hide their bodies, drive the Oldsmobile back to the mall, rush back to the workshop, get another car, head back home to take a shower and do whatever before going bowling and pretending like nothing happened.

He did not act like concerned, terrified husband of a missing woman afterwards. Definitely not like the majority of them. And the minority of those who were proven to be not involved, but acted odd, unusual, or even suspicious - at least to my knowledge - never did anything like instantly losing an envelope in which a letter from their missing wife arrived just to find it in perfect condition two days later, almost like right after postman made his route through the neighbourhood.

I don't see Debra's involvement in this. Nothing for my taste really hints at it.
And them faking a note to cover for someone who was threating them... no. I don't buy that. It doesn't make sense. That would have to be a person or persons who are:
- up to kidnap/murded a NINE year old Julie, FOURTEEN year old Renee and SEVENTEEN year old Rachel, all girls, all underage, all with families living nearby, all no transient, no runaways,
- but in the same time somehow hesitant or having a weak spot, not only for Thomas but possibly also for Debra, who could start talking at any time,
and that's a stretch. Big one. Too big for me. Cause that person would have to be able to keep the power of being scary and threatening for almost 50 years. Nobody is able to do that with such an illogical priorities.

@beubeubeu
really enjoying your musings and well researched detailed posts.

I agree with your line of reasoning but I do have a sneaking feeling that TT and Rachels quick wedding was doomed from the start and TT regretted marrying her.

IMO he and Debra were better suited and they all knew it and something warm and fuzzie was buzzing along under the surface between them (TT and debra).

I think TT intended to do away with Rachel but the timing might have been just on a whim.

It crossed my mind that Rachel went to the garage, went inside leaving the girls behind in the car.
An incident occurred inside that killed Rachel and TT unaware that they were there in the car panicked and did something equally horrific to them to eliminate witness accounts.

moo

@beubeubeu

I agree with your line of reasoning but I do have a sneaking feeling that TT and Rachels quick wedding was doomed from the start and TT regretted marrying her.

IMO he and Debra were better suited and they all knew it and something warm and fuzzie was buzzing along under the surface between them (TT and debra).

I think TT intended to do away with Rachel but the timing might have been just on a whim.

It crossed my mind that Rachel went to the garage, went inside leaving the girls behind in the car.
An incident occurred inside that killed Rachel and TT unaware that they were there in the car panicked and did something equally horrific to them to eliminate witness accounts.

moo
The Gone Cold Podcast mentions a 'love' letter from DA to TT dated November 1974, but going from memory I think Dan James was the source of this information, so I am a bit skeptical.

I do 'like' (for the want of a better word) the idea of the perp. coming across Rachel first, unaware that the other two girls are in the car. A perp. attacking all three girls at once would be problematic to put it mildly (assuming that they acted alone). A similar scenario to yours above was mentioned in a post a few pages back, but at a different location. I think whatever fate befell the girls happened at that other location or the one you mentioned above, sometime in the afternoon of Dec. 23rd 1974. JMO.

The Gone Cold Podcast mentions a 'love' letter from DA to TT dated November 1974, but going from memory I think Dan James was the source of this information, so I am a bit skeptical.

I do 'like' (for the want of a better word) the idea of the perp. coming across Rachel first, unaware that the other two girls are in the car. A perp. attacking all three girls at once would be problematic to put it mildly (assuming that they acted alone). A similar scenario to yours above was mentioned in a post a few pages back, but at a different location. I think whatever fate befell the girls happened at that other location or the one you mentioned above, sometime in the afternoon of Dec. 23rd 1974. JMO.
I haven't listened to that podcast. thank you I will for sure. :)
Don't follow this case closely anymore but do swing by to check in.

Isn't "shut up and do what I say or I'll kill her" (her, being the one captured) is pretty much all it takes?

Problematic would be to single handedly overpower three people if these people are not emotionally related adult males or fit adult women - if no guns are involved and these people are aware that they're fighting for their lives. With two teenage girls and a kid it's not problematic at all.
Especially considering that they were all raised in 70's, taught to be polite, to comply, with next to no source that could ever made them aware that trying to run away, screaming, fighting and making a scene is actually a way to increase their chances of getting out of such situation alive. They'd more than likely tend to held on hope that not angering the attacker and following instructions will save them.

No unexperienced perp would knowingly go for three victims, but that's about it.

Especially considering that they were all raised in 70's, taught to be polite,
I was raised in the 70s/80s, kids are more polite and likely to comply now then back then, IMO.

No seat belts in the back seat of cars or bike helmets for kids in them days. As kids we were much wilder with far less rules than nowadays.

And that's why discussion and sharing ideas is so much better than just sitting and thinking.

moo
It narrows down the possible scenarios a bit. There is still way too much of them, but.

Okay, assumming that something happened in the garage of TT's home or possibly at the workshop.
TT should be aware that Rachel had plans of taking at least Renee with her. Then how could he be unaware or not consider it as a likely possibility?
It'd have to happen very early in the morning, right after they left army navy, and stopped by Rachel's home to pick up something... or someone (like maybe asking Debra once again, or taking him to work if he was with whatever reason still at home). That would make sense with gift's placement being intentional and TT's ex seeing their car leaving their driveway around noon.

But that would be pretty crazy IMO. There are houses everywhere, lazy Monday, right before Christmas, many people at home, possibly some of them outside, and all neighbours knowing him for years.
I'd be pretty damn bold to accidentally murder Rachel, come to terms with it, and right away decide to murder or kidnap two other girls, with Debra at home. Not impossible, but that would mean that he's cold blooded, high risk taking fast thinker and he didn't show that fast thinking with the letter later.
Debra would have to miss all the commotion not only related to murders/imprisonement but also a car - to not know about it. Or learn what he did and show some extraordinary will to help and comply, not only then, but for long decades afterwards, silently taking all the blows and accusations. With what reason? He's not even trying to back up her statements later, they're not together, they are not close friends later, he moves on, she stays, even her family doubts her, and she's still covering up for him... why?
Some reasons she could have and others may be never able to figure it out but it would be not how it usually works. People usually are not holding other's dirties secrets for half of the century, while the perp is not close to them anymore, while it's damaging their own lives and the main perp is not backing their accounts and acts so bold to be nice while talking about the case.

IMO, and on the surface her behaviour makes perfect sense psychologically, her course of action over the years. He's not making much of it (but it can be explained by things that are not widely known, it still could be just side effects of being shady, not neccessarily a murderer).

And, still IMO, their romantic relationship would make Debra's involvement and her keeping keys to the girls disappearance secret for almost 50 years less likely, not more likely.

If not early... then late. For him to be unaware that other girls are in the car. It'd be dark only after 5:30 PM...so still daylight.
Workshop seems to be more secluded. Less reasons to expect anyone with Rachel if he was waiting for a lift home. Less risk of having any whitnessess if nobody else was at work on that day, coming and going cars wouldn't caught anybodys attention.
The only reasons to attack three of them at once would be either to want attack all three, or aim at one but don't mind taking all three. No unexperienced offender would do that at public place and in a daylight.
I was raised in the 70s/80s, kids are more polite and likely to comply now then back then, IMO.

No seat belts in the back seat of cars or bike helmets for kids in them days. As kids we were much wilder with far less rules than nowadays.
Wilder, yes, far less rules, yes.
But the established rules were often something to the accord "whatever happens, shut up, nobody cares", and wildness was a direct result of having to deal with all sorts of dark stuff from the early age - either alone or with as much help as you could get from other kids.

Adults tend to believe their kids words much more than they did back then so lot of twisted motives are gone. Like to do whatever it takes to cover up the fact that someone hurted them to not get into even more trouble with being accused of lying or receiving additional beating.

If it would be just the matter of being confrontational then yes, 70's kids would eat most of today's kids alive in this competition.

But let's say that 17yo girl takes two of her younger friends to a mall today. And something happens, she promised to be back before 4PM and there is a delay.
Won't today 17yo feel safer to explain what caused it and that she couldn't prevent it than 17yo from the 70's?
Wouldn't it be less likely that, appearing late she won't hear just "shut up, you're lying, the only thing that matters is that you're late, you won't be allowed to take them anywhere anymore" and people will listen to her?

I'm just under impression that if it was a thing of Rachel's words against TT's words, or any of the girls words against some adult's words, they likely won't be believed. And that this could play a role in their decision making, possibly influence their willingness to comply, especially as they were unaware that they are in mortal danger.

Rachel's family was - to my impression - abusive, lots of lying about relevant things, irrelevant things, and people who lie tend to believe more in their own lies than in other's truth. Julie was just a kid. Renee's mother I saw in an interview saying that at first she believed that girl really went to Houston despite of not hearing a word from Renee that would imply that. Not getting any note from her daughter. Not getting any explanation from Rachel. While they knew each other well (Renee's mom and Rachel).
I know that she was hurting, scared, confused, and going through hell that never ended for her, holding on hope that girls will be back, of course, understandable. But to believe for a second that her daughter could go away for a week, suddenly take her boyfriend's younger sister with her and offer no explanation, no note, not even a word in the note that "they" send, and to take it as possible that Rachel would agree on it, or even come up with it, finding her husband as the only person worth getting any info on their wherabouts shows me immense amount of doubt in girls - and that is for me, thankfully less of a thing today than it was in 70's.

And that doubt, that mindset, directly responsible for so many kidnapped and murdered girls and women to be assummed runaways (even if there wasn't anything really to hint at that) was IMO also affecting these victims (especially young ones) decisions. Not once and not twice, cause they were aware of that.
No idea if it played any role here, all I'm saying is that it could play a role here.

Last edited:
@beubeubeu

moo

The shop has always been my preferred place for what I believe happened. The question I have is why wouldn't Rachel go there to give TT a ride home? It's a simple question but an important one in my opinion. Why wouldn't Rachel be expected to do that? I would expect her to if it was me. I can only think of three ways (maybe four) this could work that makes sense to me.

The first one is Rachel did go to the shop.

Or Rachel was suppose to go there but for some reason didn't make it. But what reason would TT have for not just saying so?

Or Rachel was not supposed to go to the shop because she had other plans and I mean other than shopping. The girls just didn't have that much money and there's no way I believe that shopping trip was supposed to last that long. However TT would be aware of these plans or else he would expect her to give him a ride.

There's only one other possibility I can think of and it would be a plausible explanation for all of this. If CA was going to be at the shop all day then maybe it makes sense for TT to just ride there and back with him but from what I've seen and heard here and other places that just doesn't seem to be the case. If CA was there all day then FA wouldn't need to rely on phone calls for an alibi, CA could just vouch for it.

I think if we had the answer to this one question it would go a long ways. Although I have no idea how to get that answer.

The shop has always been my preferred place for what I believe happened. The question I have is why wouldn't Rachel go there to give TT a ride home? It's a simple question but an important one in my opinion. Why wouldn't Rachel be expected to do that? I would expect her to if it was me. I can only think of three ways (maybe four) this could work that makes sense to me.

Or Rachel was suppose to go there but for some reason didn't make it. But what reason would TT have for not just saying so?

Or Rachel was not supposed to go to the shop because she had other plans and I mean other than shopping. The girls just didn't have that much money and there's no way I believe that shopping trip was supposed to last that long. However TT would be aware of these plans or else he would expect her to give him a ride.

There's only one other possibility I can think of and it would be a plausible explanation for all of this. If CA was going to be at the shop all day then maybe it makes sense for TT to just ride there and back with him but from what I've seen and heard here and other places that just doesn't seem to be the case. If CA was there all day then FA wouldn't need to rely on phone calls for an alibi, CA could just vouch for it.

I think if we had the answer to this one question it would go a long ways. Although I have no idea how to get that answer.
Well, I don't know how reliable is this podcaster from Brazil who's blog post about the case I linked before, but they claim to spoke to Thomas about this, and there he suddenly claims that Rachel was the one who drove him to work that day.

That sounds pretty reasonable. Considering workshop opening hours, her driving him to and from work would not interact with her pre-planned mall trip.
It could be planned. She could decide to go there to maybe ask him for some more money, or got worried with something odd happening to the car.

I was going into it in my earlier posts a lot and it just doesn't make sense either way.
If she was supposed to pick him up, he should be instantly alarmed by her not showing up. So, conntact with others, already aware that girls are not home despite of promising to be should happen.
And if she wasn't supposed to pick him up - no matter how it went: if it would be Fran with him at the store, Cotton with him at the store, any of them giving him a ride back home or even doing calls during the day...

I see absolutely nothing what could explain why they wouldn't try to call or conntact him asap to ask if maybe Rachel told him anything, called him, if he knows anything. Cause no matter of the scenario, they couldn't be sure that he doesn't know anything relevant.
And they all seems to agree on one thing: that Fran called him at the bowling alley around 8:30 PM. What reasonable explanation could be there for this delay? It's not like they were not worried yet. Renee's parents WERE worried enough to start searching before 6 PM, at 6 they already found their car in a place that wasn't so easy to spot. And Fran was supposedly calling all the stores she could find to ask if they saw girls. At what time that mall was closing? When she started calling? All after 8:30 PM? It just doesn't make sense.

Well, I don't know how reliable is this podcaster from Brazil who's blog post about the case I linked before, but they claim to spoke to Thomas about this, and there he suddenly claims that Rachel was the one who drove him to work that day.

That sounds pretty reasonable. Considering workshop opening hours, her driving him to and from work would not interact with her pre-planned mall trip.
It could be planned. She could decide to go there to maybe ask him for some more money, or got worried with something odd happening to the car.

I was going into it in my earlier posts a lot and it just doesn't make sense either way.
If she was supposed to pick him up, he should be instantly alarmed by her not showing up. So, conntact with others, already aware that girls are not home despite of promising to be should happen.
And if she wasn't supposed to pick him up - no matter how it went: if it would be Fran with him at the store, Cotton with him at the store, any of them giving him a ride back home or even doing calls during the day...

I see absolutely nothing what could explain why they wouldn't try to call or conntact him asap to ask if maybe Rachel told him anything, called him, if he knows anything. Cause no matter of the scenario, they couldn't be sure that he doesn't know anything relevant.
And they all seems to agree on one thing: that Fran called him at the bowling alley around 8:30 PM. What reasonable explanation could be there for this delay? It's not like they were not worried yet. Renee's parents WERE worried enough to start searching before 6 PM, at 6 they already found their car in a place that wasn't so easy to spot. And Fran was supposedly calling all the stores she could find to ask if they saw girls. At what time that mall was closing? When she started calling? All after 8:30 PM? It just doesn't make sense.

I would expect my wife to give me a ride both to and from work (most people would). The shopping trip would just have to be planned around that. I don't see what would be so hard about that.

I agree with you on the timing of the phone calls to TT. After all the girls could have somehow ended up at the bowling alley. That's one of the first things that should have been ruled out, Rachel being with her husband. I don't care where the cars at, I would be ruling that out early on.JMO.

Cotton didn't work that day he had chemo and Fran took him.

Cotton didn't work that day he had chemo and Fran took him.
But the thing is that even this piece of info can't be taken as a fact.
He had chemo planned, but did he took it? We don't know really. Who's really reliable there? Hopefully LE knows cause they should have their earliest statements in case files. Everyone else is just dealing with bunch of claims that are all over the place and (more often than not) contradictory.

Neighbour claimed that Arnold's never left, but she had a whole party to set up. If, in process of that work she was checking out the surroundings (like many people do) from dusk till down, and herself stayed home all day then we could take it as a fact. But was she?
We don't even knew if she meant it like NO, absolutely NOT, I was doing chores around the house whole day, spoke to Fran about noon and despite of declining her offer to help me with decorations, I later kept checking if she's leaving the house to ask for something, so I'm 100% sure their car never left their driveway. Cause she might as well say it in response to Fran's claim that she was at the workshop with TT and mean it as "they never left (for long)".
We don't know what the context was there. So it's just as blurry as everything else.
I would expect my wife to give me a ride both to and from work (most people would). The shopping trip would just have to be planned around that. I don't see what would be so hard about that.

I agree with you on the timing of the phone calls to TT. After all the girls could have somehow ended up at the bowling alley. That's one of the first things that should have been ruled out, Rachel being with her husband. I don't care where the cars at, I would be ruling that out early on.JMO.
Yes. Unless it'd be far more convenient for someone else (ie. Fran or Cotton) to give him these rides, she should be the obvious choice. She or possible use of the other car.

One more possibility would be that Arnold's weren't concerned enough and just brushed it off as nothing serious till about 8 AM and that only Julie's and Renee's families were out of their minds then, searching.
And maybe called Arnold's just to hear that they know nothing cause Cotton just had his chemo and Fran has to take care of him. Could be good enough reason to not expect much action from them and just go with searching and calling on their own (for first few hours).
But to also not call TT's house? Not try to reach TT or Debra? Uhm, well... also possible, if they heard from Arnold's that TT was with them whole day or that they just saw him and that knows nothing. Priority would be to search for the girls not keep discussing possibly irrelevant details with Fran.

But that, all of that would mean that all four: TT, DA, FA & CA have nothing, not even each other to back their stories and plenty of time to cover things up. And with mess this insane it's even unreasonable to focus on the TT & DA, ruling out the possibility that DA stayed at home cause she was told to do so, TT went along with his day, which he spend hell knows where and how (so possibly even not in the workshop at all) and the people who knowingly or unknowingly turned it into 50 years old riddle and allowed the murderer to go away with it were FA & CA.

I haven't slept in a bit and it put me into interesting mindset.

So first thing in the morning.
Pretty much everyone agrees that DA is asleep in bed at the TT&RT's home.
TT, CA & FA are unable to agree as to who drove TT to work on that day.

Around noon.
Nobody (to my knowledge) is claiming that DA was somewhere else than TT's home.
As for DA's knowledge CA was supposed to have chemo on that day, but neither she or no one else from the four mentioned claims that she was anywhere but at the TT's house at the time.
Earlier FA claimed that she's going to stay at home to take care of CA, taking his chemo.
Later FA claimed to be with TT at the workshop.
Neighbour claims that FA visited her around noon and asked if she needs some help with preparing an evening party. She seems to have plenty of time and wasn't at the workshop. Same neighbour is pretty sure that A's weren't leaving their home.
TT claims that FA wasn't with him at the workshop but that he was calling her from there multiple times.
TT claims that CA drove him home. FA seems to also claim that. Neither of them is saying that CA & FA drove TT's back home together.
TT, CA & FA claim that this drive took a place sometime between 4:30 PM and 5:30 PM.
Later, according to the TT, DA gave him a lift to the bowling alley nearby. DA claims that she didn't.
Somehow TT is notified about the girls not coming back home only at 8:30 PM.

(Only now I noticed that some sources say that both younger girls were expected to return home before 6 PM, not 4 PM. That would add some sense to their stories. Not that much but some. Even if family search happened later, FA & CA's home as well as TT's home should be logically called first to ask about the girls. But it doesn't seem to happen somehow. Did they wait even longer? If so then allright - as TT is called, Renee's parents are heading out to the mall to look for the girls car, takes them some time to locate it, after 10 PM other family members are notified... so okay, that makes sense)

Later TT claims that DA drove him back to the TT's home. She may be not backing it up.
Sometime around 11 PM DA & TT arrive at the mall, according to whitnesses who's stories are not all around the place.
Later, same people who stayed at the mall's parking lot guarding the car claim that CA wasn't with them, but some account's from A's seems to claim that he was.

I was not expecting to end up with a scenario in which TT doesn't shine like giant red neon sign of suspicious, but here it is. Taking every account of these four with the grin of salt... there is that as well.
TT could be not lying. DA could be not lying. They can't both not lie if they have contradicting stories, but CA & FA for sure had some contradicting stories about their own whereabouts and actions on that day.

Lying doesn't equal being guilty, especially guilty of murder, but now, as I re-readed few basic articles, full of wrong facts once again, it struck me (as they repeated it) that FA claimed that Dan James "poisoned" her son's mind and ruined her family.

I wonder if maybe not long after girls disappearance FA and/or TT, possibly also CA did get some significant amount of support - I mean friendly advice, spending time together, lots of talking from some male acquaintance who wasn't that interested in them before? Maybe someone who was working at their shop, or someone associated with their business before?

Cause these lies, if they were really coming up with these stories that made no sense and contradictory claims...
One reason for that could be to cover something up. Another may be that a person was slowly fed with these things by someone they trusted. And it's very easy to trust even the shadiest individual if you're hurting, scared and fully convinced that they're helping. Nobodys mind turns into the sharpest right after loved one goes missing, people are turning vulnerable, naive, unable to notice.

Despite of all the criticism LE got for the way that they were handling this investigation early on... they were on it. They showed up and were doing something. Newspapers and TV were on it, case instantly turned into high profile. That should scare the hell out of the perp that wasn't planning to commit triple murder. And despite all the clues hinting at TT, he doesn't seem to change much after 23rd. Dumb luck can get a person far and go away with a lot, but no damn luck can give a person extra skill of not being emotionally/mentally affected by a triple murder in ways, that were at the time not even that well researched by criminology.

There is still a note and I have no idea what was he doing with envelope for two days, but whoever mailed it, licked it. DNA apparently was there, and 20 years seems to be enough to ask him for a sample or find some of his trash. Must be not his. Not any of the girls. So who could it possibly belong to? Not DA, CA or FA, cause that'd be partial match to Rachel. No any random person asked to lick an envelope on the morning when this case appeared in newspapers or the day before would keep such an odd thing to themselves.

If I had only one chance to guess, I'd still bet it on TT, unless there was the "but he's/was such a nice guy, he'd never do such a thing!" type, who suddenly got much closer to FA, CA or/and TT right after girls disappeared.

There is just too much of these contradictions to consider them meaningless. They have to mean something. And how can they mean "oh, one or more than one of us did it and we're now covering it up by consistently contradicting each other, oblivious to the fact that sticking with just one story would work better"? For me it makes the most sense that at least 3 if not all 4 were unaware that they're covering for someone.

Last edited:
One more thing that I managed to miss.
If CA or FA were indeed giving TT drive back home from the store, they would be doing so while some sunlight was still on.
And most likely taking same route that girls would take.
So also likely the exact same that Renee's relatives took to look hoping to find them somewhere, on the side of the road, stucked with malfunctioning car.
How could they NOT discuss it immediately? It should come out right away, with some "oh no, but we just drove that road to the mall, never saw them"? Renee's relatives had it much harder cause it was already dark.

If the more accurate timeline would be:

Morning: someone drives TT to work.
Renee gets promise ring.

10 AM: Rachel leaves home to pick up Renee, who was at her Grandma's.
Julie's there, calls her mom to get permission to join the girls on a trip to the mall.

Around noon: Girls arrive at the Army Navy.

4 PM: Families may not be worried yet.
(It's not what I've seen anywhere else, but missingtrio website stated that Renee and Julie both got permissions to stay out till 6 PM. It's not what I assumed, cause 6 PM would mean totally dark already - and why would Julie ask for permission to stay so late if Renee wanted to be home at 4 PM?
Only reason I can see it what I theorised before - to accompany Renee, at Renee's while she would be getting ready for the party. I'm still skeptical thou, cause why would, initially reluctant mother suddenly agree for her 9 yo daughter to stay out so late? With explanation that she will be at Renee's after 4 PM maybe, but imo that'd likely end with checkup call happening close to 4 PM and alarm bells ringing very early)

6 PM: Julie's and Renee's families starting to worry.
Calls, searches happen.

8:30 PM: Eventually TT is called at the bowling alley.
Someone picks him up and droves him (possibly) back home.

11 PM: TT & DA appear at the mall.

Then, that'd make TT appear (still, but) ten times less suspicious than with assumption that two girls were expected to be back home at 4 PM.
It's "just" two hours but it makes such a big difference.

If the more accurate timeline would be:

Morning: someone drives TT to work.
Renee gets promise ring.

10 AM: Rachel leaves home to pick up Renee, who was at her Grandma's.
Julie's there, calls her mom to get permission to join the girls on a trip to the mall.

Around noon: Girls arrive at the Army Navy.

4 PM: Families may not be worried yet.
(It's not what I've seen anywhere else, but missingtrio website stated that Renee and Julie both got permissions to stay out till 6 PM. It's not what I assumed, cause 6 PM would mean totally dark already - and why would Julie ask for permission to stay so late if Renee wanted to be home at 4 PM?
Only reason I can see it what I theorised before - to accompany Renee, at Renee's while she would be getting ready for the party. I'm still skeptical thou, cause why would, initially reluctant mother suddenly agree for her 9 yo daughter to stay out so late? With explanation that she will be at Renee's after 4 PM maybe, but imo that'd likely end with checkup call happening close to 4 PM and alarm bells ringing very early)

6 PM: Julie's and Renee's families starting to worry.
Calls, searches happen.

8:30 PM: Eventually TT is called at the bowling alley.
Someone picks him up and droves him (possibly) back home.

11 PM: TT & DA appear at the mall.

Then, that'd make TT appear (still, but) ten times less suspicious than with assumption that two girls were expected to be back home at 4 PM.
It's "just" two hours but it makes such a big difference.
Is it possible that TT took DAs car to and from work that day?

Big gap in time between the call to the bowling alley and TT and DA arriving at the Mall. Makes me wonder what was going on during that time frame.

Is it possible that TT took DAs car to and from work that day?

Big gap in time between the call to the bowling alley and TT and DA arriving at the Mall. Makes me wonder what was going on during that time frame.
Only those who have access to the earliest statements from everyone who knew about girl's plans that day or had any interactions with them (those who knew, not just girls) can really make any sense out of it.

There is so much mud and contradictions... one detail can make so much difference.

Cause it is possible that time gap is... just not there.
Let's say FA called TT 8:30 and they spoke for few minutes.
Then he calls DA to pick him up, but cause she already knew that girls are so late and missing, she called someone (FA? possibly even Renee's parents - it's not mentioned anywhere, so I'm just speculating) to ask if it's okay for her to leave her spot by the phone for 15ish mins to get TT back home.
But it's already not so reasonable. Cause WHO was TT playing bowling with? Random strangers who absolutely hated him? Everyone was drunk? Cause who on Earth hearing that his friend's, acquaintance's or even a guy's that they just met wife went missing with two other girls and families are scared would NOT offer him a ride? Would he not mention to FA that he has no car? Would she not know it already if she or CA was the one offering him a lift? Wouldn't they be reluctant to allow DA to leave T's home and maybe send someone, a neighbour SOMEONE to pick him up, while allowind DA to still wait by the phone in case that girls will call?
Let's say that he wasn't thinking straight and haven't spoke to anyone, just called DA, and others were also too concerned to do anything but frantic search.
8:40 DA is there, 8:50 they're back at T's home.
So about 130 mins left till they walked into the mall.
- 5 mins to walk in from the parking lot /125mins left
- 25 mins to drive there /100 mins left
No one was by the car then? Maybe they went there to check it out, spoke to someone, that could easily take another 15 mins, looking around.
Maybe calling some friends to ask if they know something from T's home?
Maybe even stopping by A's home to speak in person, to learn what is really happening? Maybe even going to speak with Renee's family?

The above is not mentioned anywhere publicly that I know of, but neither is any alternative scenario. So however unlikely, probably still possible.
As well as him taking DA's car. It's not unreasonable to consider: Rachel planning a trip, DA's planning to stay at home whole day, it wouldn't be crazy to just borrow DA's car for the day.

I can see anything that I can personally do than trying to figure out the most likely scenario and adjusting it to newly learned reliable statements and possibilities that came with conflicting statements or supposedly conflicting statements. But how this can be helpful in any way I don't know. It likely isn't. All theories that are based on wrong facts and rumors are just useless. And so many unanswered questions.

Like... was the postman asked about his route on 24'th? It's possible that if located and asked quickly about it, he would recall if he delivered any mail to the TT's home on that day. Cause maybe he didn't? Or maybe he did? Maybe even he put some bill or a postcard in, and noticed that something is already there, thought that's odd cause he had nothing for them the day before? Did he came forward? Noticed something on 23rd or 24th? Postmans are often very observant people, with good memory, especially if they're doing same route for long periods of time - then they're able to tell any difference. But was he even contacted?
It'd be crazy if at least some people from the area weren't eager to chat with him, or any postman from the nearby area really. It was pretty shocking disappearance after all, it was covered in papers right away, so everybody knew. So he should have learned about it soon enough to consider if he noticed anything unusual or not, if he recalls delivering on Minot St. or not.

Even more for the God's sake. Families were calling everyone, asking everyone, on 23rd, all clerks from the mall that they could reach, all girl's friends that they could think of I assume. It should be a BIG thing in the neighbourhood first thing in the morning of 24th.
Isn't that newspaper from 24th? Not sure when it was published, but they were at least hundreds of people aware, possibly also the news coverage already, in the morning.
Wasn't it normal to chat with a postman briefly for people who spotted him during his route? Should be a high chance that he'd be aware that girls are missing, their addresses in newspaper, Rachel's mispelled name there. And you have to look on the envelope to deliver it. So it could spike his attention already. Maybe not immediately set a guy on high alert, but it's quite likely that it could.
And what about postal workers? Someone was sorting the letters that morning. Maybe that person haven't noticed anything, but again, people's memory and ability to spot all the odd details often increases while they're doing postal work. Nobody came forward? Nobody gossiped about it? Of course it could be not that reliable, but was it there or not at all?

1654959868821.png

So many questions...

It's probably nothing but it is a little thing that could be noticed by someone.
And at least two people would have that chance.
One person that was sorting mail at the post office.
Yes, hoping that someone would read and think about every possible address written on the envelope would be crazy.
But this is an envelope without return address, and writing is done by a pencil. Pencil smears. So it's not that crazy that could make the person stop for a moment and take a mental note of how it wasn't a smart move to do it this way, cause big risk of it ending undelivered. Would be even bit more so if the envelope was empty.
Long shot, very long shot. But there is still a postman. Who would put few seconds of attention to each piece of mail. Empty envelope, with no return address, and written by a pencil, name "Rachel" on the envelope, and he'd either knew already or learned about the disappearance not long after that.

Both of these people, living in the area would be more than likely aware of the girls disappearance pretty quick.
Also Christmas, so lots and lots of occasions to chat with people, share gossips, share experiences.
And it hits hard to learn that three girls disappeared from the shopping mall on the Christmas Eve.
It hits harder than it would on any other day of the year. So people would talk about it, and that should bring that little thing that they remembered back, as it was still fresh.

But would they come forward with such a little thing?
Would they feel like it's worth coming forward with?
Or know who they should notify about it?
Would it not get lost or dismissed without ending up in case files?
I guess it's irrelevant then.

But post office's drill should surely allow to narrow down the specific time when it had to be thrown into postal box to not end up with a stamp from 23rd, but end up delivered on 24th.
I'd tend to believe that it could not be mailed very early on the 23rd. Cause then it'd be delivered to the post offic, sorted and postmarked on the 23rd. So late on 23rd or early on 24th. Possibly bit after noon on the 24th?

There is a serial killer theory, but it doesn't make much sense for me.
So bold enough to kidnap three girls from very public area, or at least lure them out of there.
So either high risk taking, acting on impulse... but no, this level of boldness doesn't just go away, especially if it works: victims taken, LE focused on runaways theory, nobody tracking him down. He wouldn't restrain himself from doing it again in similar way.
Or not that much of a risk taker but methodical enough to plan it well... it just doesn't sit well with me. That kind of guy would want to watch girls for at least a bit... then abduct, then take them to location, force Rachel to write the note and address an envelope, and either assault and hem quick, or lock them somewhere to go and mail that letter, from the nearby of their last known whereabouts.
So lots of sophistication, lots of planning, access to a pen, some clear goal to achieve: to feed families with this lie... but he figures that using a pencil instead of a pen on the envelope and essentially taking a chance that all this effort will end up with it smearing and ending up undelivered?
Could end up like that in many scenarios, but it's a bit ridiculous.

Is there any actual, clear, good picture of the envelope?
What kind of pencil that was? Usual, HB one? One of those that was all over the schools, kiosks and bowling alleys? Cause HB pencil should leave marks, either on the note (so it'd be clear that it was inside), or on the other side of the envelope (making it clear that it wasn't).
Or was it softer kind of pencil? B2 maybe? That'd narrow down the suspect pool a bit, cause not that many people have use for those. Most people don't have softer graphite pencils just randomly lying around and easy to grab. Softer it is, easier it smears. Harder it is, more impact on the next sheet of paper it makes. Hard graphite pencils also have more specific use than just to be a pencil.
Does it appear so dark just cause it was made like this, to make it more readable, or part of it's darkness is caused by softer graphite used?

I tried writing with my left hand and I can only wish good luck to anyone who's aiming at reaching this level of smoothness that the note presents.
I was trying for good 30 mins. And my letters are still so angular...
1654994039042.png
With the reasons from the picture above I don't buy into a theory that someone wrote it with their non-dominant hand. After how many hours of trying and learning how to write not so angular?

It looks too sloppy to be a results of hours of trying. It looks like second, third attempt at best. No handwriting expert, but I saw dozens and dozens of notes from "parents" faked by their kids, to explain their missing time at school. These things looked exactly like that.
1654994930734.png
Pacing so irregular, "Sears" mispelled, double writing over some letters, kinda two handwriting styles mixed up, Looking noticeably smoother in the first line, and signature, three lines in between kinda messy and terrible.
One theory was that's cause such a letter existed, wrote by Rachel at some unknown point in time, unrelated to their disappearance.
To me it looks more like all the confidence was only in these two parts: the implication that Rachel is going to be punished for whatever "this" is, and that she loved Thomas.
Kids' faked notes were the same. Nice, smooth "Dear teacher, please excuse my son's school absence on the (date)". Then something like "He was sick and had to see a doctor." all hesitant and chaotic, cause the want for being excused was true and doctor story was a lie. And back to smoothness with almost perfected (cause well trained) signature. And that signature, with no fail, always had some weird mark of hesitancy like letter written over, or corrected misspellings.

Organic name mispellings were happening as well, when they were signing their homeworks or tests, but it was a RARE thing, I mean difference on a level of 10/10 with faked parent's signatures, and 1/100 to actually mispell their name.

So... either TT wrote it to himself, or someone found him as the only relevant person, worthy of getting any explanation.

Cutting it down to probability, I mean all of this.
There is nothing that would hint at girls changing their plans. They were following them.
So they could only meet their fate at the location where they were expected to be.
Any other store that they could want to stop by?
T's home (to pick something up, ask Debra again, leave something), mall and possibly workshop. With mall being the most likely.
It looks like they bought nothing at the mall. And their purchases should be in the car before they'd drive to workshop. But they weren't. They brought nothing from the mall to the car. And it's not like someone removed their purchases, cause army navy were left untouched as did the wrapped gift on the floor. Someone could go into next level staging and remove all those purchases done at the mall to make it look like they never came back but how would they know what to remove? Ask? Possible, possible, but just ads trouble to get rid of that too and why even bother? It wouldn't be odd to get back to the car and leave purchases there instead of carrying them while still shopping. And tracing purchases to the store would only confirm that girls were there, no threat for the perp in it, unless clerk could remember selling these things to girls, accompanied by perp. But again, so complicated, with pretty blurry goal.
So either kidnapping at the mall, or girls leaving the mall not buying anything... to go where? With what reason? To get more money? That would increase the likelyness of clerks remembering three girls, hesitating over buying something expensive, maybe even asking to wait for them as they'll be back with money, and nobody said that. So also not that likely.
For someone who knew them, to figure out that's great time to kidnap all three... alone (cause it's the most reasonable explanation to why nobody said anything for 48 years: cause no one but the murderer knew what happened) makes no sense. Casually, cause they saw them around? Cause only then they had an opportunity?
But what kind of opportunity could be there? If girls would have enough trust to go somewhere with the perp on that day, they'll likely do that as well on some other day, while alone. Unless that was as "alone" as they got, cause they were usually going out with bunch of people?
It does not look like a crime of convenience: commited then and there cause it seemed like the best time and place to do so. For a serial killer might be, but serial killer seems unlikely with the whole note thing.
Note being unrelated to the abduction also makes no sense.

And here I'll end today's thinking session, with no conclusion at the end.
At least I like that I get an idea to think about the postman's possible insight.
Cause, if that empty envelope would be mailed, postmarked and sorted on 24th, but delivered on 26th, then we'd need to have very not observant, isolated, not aware of any news postman who would have not notice "Rachel" on the envelope, or the fact that he's delivering to the missing girl's home address.
Getting stamped envelope at the post office at the 24th possible, but if TT would get it on the 24th, then why not deliver it to the LE on that day but wait till 26th? It'd be surely way, way less suspicious to find it hours after they asked, than to search two days. And why pencil if not in hurry and with lack of pens in sight? With stamped envelope he'd likely fake it in same spot where he faked the note. So he should have a pen. "Just" lack of care and little attention to the details?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member