Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, NSW, 12 Sep 2014 - #71

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know.

One thought I had about that, some time ago, is that they only wanted to reveal the front of the spiderman suit (no-one knew the back was white and the underarms were blue, until the 5 photos were released, and the planted suit found by PS was spoken of). Because the police wanted some hold-back info.

So the 3 photos that only revealed the front of the suit, or certain parts of the suit, were spoken of.

Notice how the police ID board (that was shown to the public) only showed the front of the suit?
1654764702225.jpeg

JMO - I wonder why FFC said at the Inquest that she took three photos?

"At 9.37am, William’s foster mother took three photos of him appearing “spider manned out”, she would later tell the coronial inquest, with the pictures becoming the key image associated with public awareness campaigns pleading for members of the public to come forward with information."
FROM the above wording, FFC did not say she 'only' took 3 photos, in total. She said she took three photos of him "spider manned out." She also took some of his sister or some of them colouring pictures.

FROM the above wording, FFC did not say she 'only' took 3 photos, in total. She said she took three photos of him "spider manned out." She also took some of his sister or some of them colouring pictures.
JMO - at the time FFC took those photos three photos of him appearing "spider manned out", she wasn't to know that one of those photos would become a key image associated with public awareness campaigns.

BBM - "Less than an hour earlier, the toddler was wearing a Spider-Man suit and singlet, and had been crawling around and roaring, pretending to be a “daddy tiger”.

"I remember the discussion I had with him about putting on his Spider-Man clothes because I wanted him to wear a singlet – he didn't want to wear a singlet, so the compromise was he'd wear a Spider-Man t-shirt underneath his Spider Man clothes. So he was spider manned out completely," she previously told media."

It’s probably of no relevance to the case, but I do find it a bit odd that these photos were taken on a camera not a phone. Maybe it’s because I haven’t used a digital camera myself for 15 years and I can’t understand why anybody would bother with lugging around a separate camera in 2014. Though I know some are SLR/digital so maybe better image quality Etc,

They were for scrapbooking but aside from the one famous photo, they are not posed, not looking at the camera or smiling (as far as I can tell) and FGM continues to read her newspaper.

Just my thoughts. Really must stop procrastinating and get back to work!

It’s probably of no relevance to the case, but I do find it a bit odd that these photos were taken on a camera not a phone. Maybe it’s because I haven’t used a digital camera myself for 15 years and I can’t understand why anybody would bother with lugging around a separate camera in 2014. Though I know some are SLR/digital so maybe better image quality Etc,

That thought has also crossed my mind. One advantage of a dedicated camera is that the battery, being significantly larger than a phone's, tends to last quite a long time between charges.

Also, IIRC, the camera was said by the fosters to have been purchased in Bali (a reason put forward for the photo timestamps being wrong for NSW).

That thought has also crossed my mind. One advantage of a dedicated camera is that the battery, being significantly larger than a phone's, tends to last quite a long time between charges.

Also, IIRC, the camera was said by the fosters to have been purchased in Bali (a reason put forward for the photo timestamps being wrong for NSW).

bbm
I think that reason is quite acceptable and in line with the time difference between Bali and AEST but am curious about the 2minutes and whatever seconds difference.If that were the reason, would there not be a flat 2hour difference?

The time on digital camera clocks can run fast or slow, depending on different factors.

It is called "clock drift".

BBM
"Consumer-grade digital cameras have become ubiquitous accessories of science.

However, such devices were never intended for precise timekeeping, and their use as such needs to be accompanied by appropriate management of systematic, rounding and random errors in reported image times.

Camera clocks drift and the drift can be substantial: daily subsecond to second drift can accumulate to multi-minute offsets within a few months."

Cameras as clocks | Journal of Glaciology | Cambridge Core

The time on digital camera clocks can run fast or slow, depending on different factors.

BBM

However, such devices were never intended for precise timekeeping, and their use as such needs to be accompanied by appropriate management of systematic, rounding and random errors in reported image times.

Camera clocks drift and the drift can be substantial: daily subsecond to second drift can accumulate to multi-minute offsets within a few months."

Do we know for sure if the pictures were taken by a camera over her cellphone ? I’m not sure if I’ve seen it verified anywhere. It’s possible that I missed it if it was. Tyia

bbm
I think that reason is quite acceptable and in line with the time difference between Bali and AEST but am curious about the 2minutes and whatever seconds difference.If that were the reason, would there not be a flat 2hour difference?
My video camera was about 4 minutes off because when I tried changing the time/date when I first bought it, I screwed it up because it was confusing when trying to set minutes vs hours. So once I got the date and the hour correct, I just left it that way.

So it is possible to have the time off by just a few minutes, imo.

Do we know for sure if the pictures were taken by a camera over her cellphone ? I’m not sure if I’ve seen it verified anywhere. It’s possible that I missed it if it was. Tyia
Originally she said it was by camera. They talked about buying the camera recently in Bali, as the reason the time was a different time zone.

They were for scrapbooking but aside from the one famous photo, they are not posed, not looking at the camera or smiling (as far as I can tell) and FGM continues to read her newspaper.

I don't use cameras anymore for family photos. But back in 2014ish time period I was still using a camera. I think the cell cameras are much better now than they were back then. JMO

Originally she said it was by camera. They talked about buying the camera recently in Bali, as the reason the time was a different time zone.
Thanks katy. Yes, I remember reading that. But for some reason I thought I read somewhere they discovered ffc used her cell phone. Imo moo. I could be wrong of course. I admit I have been before..

BBM

Interesting, again I can accept this as an explanation. Just wondering about how many days they were back in Australia before the disappearance. Giving the optimal camera clock drift, and say the clock lost 1 second per day after 3 months, there is still a lag in the times. IMO

bbm

The time setting in cameras is usually a manual (user) operation and thus subject to error. Also, there can be drift over a period, although with digital technology that is usually quite small small these days.

OTOH, devices which can obtain the current time from GPS services should be spot on, albeit GPS time is UTC (GMT) and needs to be adjusted for local time zone offset by user setting.

The time setting in cameras is usually a manual (user) operation and thus subject to error. Also, there can be drift over a period, although with digital technology that is usually quite small small these days.

OTOH, devices which can obtain the current time from GPS services should be spot on, albeit GPS time is UTC (GMT) and needs to be adjusted for local time zone offset by user setting.
Soooo..... because we don't know the facts, we are left in ambiguous land once again?

I thought I would check the time difference between each individual photo ....

7:37:15 and 9:35:05 --- Diff = 1:57:50

7:37:29 and 9:35:19 --- Diff = 1:57:50

7:37:38 and 9:35:28 --- Diff = 1:57:50

7:39:39 and 9:37:29 --- Diff = 1:57:50

7:39:54 and 9:37:44 --- Diff = 1:57:50

Not quite 2 hours, but it is consistent across all of the photos.

(This is the calculator used Time calculator )

William Tyrrell: New photos released to five years after little boy disappeared
Probe ordered into William Tyrrell’s last photograph

Last edited:
"Less than an hour earlier, the toddler was wearing a Spider-Man suit and singlet, and had been crawling around and roaring, pretending to be a “daddy tiger”.
Thanks Couldbe .... it would be interesting to know if this is an error, or new information??? Almost worth writing to the journo to enquire where this info came from??? As I cant recall a "singlet" ever being reported before??
And definitely goes against what we have been told about what William was wearing....
IMO

Thanks Couldbe .... it would be interesting to know if this is an error, or new information??? Almost worth writing to the journo to enquire where this info came from??? As I cant recall a "singlet" ever being reported before??
And definitely goes against what we have been told about what William was wearing....
IMO

Is this maybe just a case of sloppy journalism at The Guardian .. confusing a T-shirt with a singlet?

Definitely better image quality with printed photographs in 2014 with a digital / SLR camera than with most phones...
Digital images looked great until you tried to print them ... IMO
A "photobook" would have definitely benefited by use of a camera, over a phone back then .... Pretty sure "Snapfish" Photobooks were really popular back then .... I'm not convinced about FM Scrapbooking, unless someone has a link?
But JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member