UT UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, wkg on farm, “weird run-in” with a guy walking on gravel rd, no phone & CC activity, Lucin, Box Elder Co, 25 May 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your thoughts, @MassGuy ?
I have hit a wall now.
Nada inspiration or ideas.
We just don't know enough, so I don't think anything would surprise me at this point.

As for the search, his last ping is in Utah, his boots are in Utah, yet they're searching in Nevada. It's just weird.

It's like we're not being told something.

Last edited:
From the link updated 8:04 PM, Jun 11, 2022

Now, things are picking up in the search for clues. Box Elder County sheriff's deputies are out searching, and on the Nevada side, the Elko County Sheriff's Office is following up on leads.

"There were cellphone pings on May 28 that indicated that Dylan was — at least Dylan's phone — was located in the Lucin area of Utah," said Box Elder Lt. Doug Fisher.

Deputies later found Rounds' boots and pickup truck about five miles west of his camper.

"We were allowed to take the pickup home," said Candice Cooley, Rounds' mother. "We have the pickup, so anything that could've been pulled off the pickup as far as the way the pickup records stuff, it may be gone because... Utah is still treating it as a simple missing persons case."

[..]

"There's conflicting information, so we're trying to vet all the information to find out what is rumors and also what would be actual factual," Fisher said. "We're trying to get down to the facts."

Please see Elko's Press Release of 6/9/22 (post #248 up-thread) that help explain Fisher's comments.
Wait. The truck was found by the shed? I thought it was parked at the trailer?

This is so frustrating for me and I'm clear across the country with no family ties to Dylan. I can't imagine his family and friends are going through.
Certain cases bother me more than others, this is one of them.
I REALLY hope they got some leads today and just haven't released the information to the public.

oooohhh, that is an interesting wrinkle. I have been very curious about if DR may have had a secret crush, or someone he was talking to. He is 19. So much time for him to be thinking while at work on the fArm---maybe thinking about someone he met in town ?

I think it is important because he is young and naive. Could he have stepped into a hornet's nest by getting caught up in a love triangle situation?

It's a fluid investigation so I think we need to be cautious with info dates. Sleuth Mom YT was uploaded on 6/8/22, but I think Elko County Sheriff received evidence post 6/8 where it appears to represent that DR's had a credit card transaction at a local establishment (Montello) on Thurs 5/26, and phone records place DR in Montello, NV on that date, but not Friday or Saturday. [Family believes eye witness saw DR in Montello on Friday].

It's still not clear to me why the family (?) wants DR to be in NV when evidence by LE supports him in UT.

As @MassGuy states, the last phone ping and boots located in Lucin, UT but a volunteer search was organized for NV. Why?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a fluid investigation so I think we need to be cautious with info dates. Sleuth Mom YT was uploaded on 6/8/22, but I think Elko County Sheriff received evidence post 6/8 where it appears to represent that DR's had a credit card transaction at a local establishment (Montello) on Thurs 5/26, and phone records place DR in Montello, NV on that date, but not Friday or Saturday. [Family believes eye witness saw DR in Montello on Friday].

It's still not clear to me why the family (?) wants DR to be in NV when evidence by LE supports him in UT.

As @MassGuy states, the last phone ping and boots located in Lucin, UT but a volunteer search was organized for NV. Why?

Maybe looking along the main routes for clues? Or sightings on camera? Maybe looking around the restaurant/town?

The tire tracks seen in that long wash by the helicopter crew? Does that wash extend into Nevada?

In the SleuthMom interview his mother said that they don’t know where Dylan was when his Gma called him Saturday morning. They assumed he was at his camper, but they are waiting for the more precise phone ping data to confirm it. She suggested that he could have been in Montella when he talked to gma. In the EastIdahoNews interview his mother also mentioned that he could have spent Friday night in Montello. She made a comment that lead me to believe that he does sometimes stay overnight in town. The comment struck me as odd…like she hesitated and was about to say something else but changed her mind. I haven’t had a chance to go back and listen to it again. ^^bbm

Again, be cautious of interview dates -- it's a fluid investigation where LE can receive other confirming evidence previously requested from day to day. JMO

It's a fluid investigation so I think we need to be cautious with info dates. Sleuth Mom YT was uploaded on 6/8/22, but I think Elko County Sheriff received evidence post 6/8 where it appears to represent that DR's had a credit card transaction at a local establishment (Montello) on Thurs 5/27, and phone records place DR in Montello, NV on that date, but not Friday or Saturday. [Family believes eye witness saw DR in Montello on Friday].

I'll have to go read the Facebook page again but I was under the impression they were using Montello as a central meeting place so I assumed they were searching both areas and in between. But other than that I haven't seen anything other than the Saddle Sore sighting(s). I still don't understand all that fake hostage incident in Montello even tho CC explained it.

Eh mate-- @OldCop -- where are you reading DR's Ford at the shed per OP's link? Last I recall was grain/seed truck was located at the shed, not the Ford which was at the camper trailer.
"Deputies later found Rounds' boots and pickup truck about five miles west of his camper." quote from link to update posted a little while ago.( fox news 13)

"

Last edited:
The Elko County Undersheriff, Justin Ames, made a very compelling argument for why the sighting of DR dining in Montello occurred on 5/26 (not 5/27)-- especially because DR's cell records place him in Montello on this date.

I've never been a fan of Official FB pages that are open and/or allow public comments because you eventually need full-time moderators which brings me to my next point that I think some volunteers are better than others.

I'm concerned that the self-titled missing person family advocate volunteer on Dylan's official page, pinning and promoting the incorrect date online as well as posters/flyers, is also sending CC out to conduct interviews with bad intel. I'm not on FB but I wonder if it's possible to post the 6/9 press release below on the Official FB site?

View attachment 348796

LE confirms DR called grandma from Lucin, not Montello, not another location.

6/9/22 Press Release by Elko County Sherrif:

....Cell phone data was used to track Dylan's phone around his farm near Lucin, UT. Dylan made a phone call to a family member on the 28th at approximately 0651 hours MT. We can confirm that the phone call was made from the farm based on the cell data. ...

"Deputies later found Rounds' boots and pickup truck about five miles west of his camper." quote from link to update posted a little while ago.( fox news 13)

"
Thanks, @builder, @OldCop!

I think this was clearly an oversight where the description should have been seed truck. Probably not too many reporters know the difference between a seed truck and a pickup truck!

Eh mate-- @OldCop -- where are you reading DR's Ford at the shed per OP's link? Last I recall was grain/seed truck was located at the shed, not the Ford which was at the camper trailer.

From the link updated 8:04 PM, Jun 11, 2022

Now, things are picking up in the search for clues. Box Elder County sheriff's deputies are out searching, and on the Nevada side, the Elko County Sheriff's Office is following up on leads.

"There were cellphone pings on May 28 that indicated that Dylan was — at least Dylan's phone — was located in the Lucin area of Utah," said Box Elder Lt. Doug Fisher.

Deputies later found Rounds' boots and pickup truck about five miles west of his camper.

"We were allowed to take the pickup home," said Candice Cooley, Rounds' mother. "We have the pickup, so anything that could've been pulled off the pickup as far as the way the pickup records stuff, it may be gone because... Utah is still treating it as a simple missing persons case."

[..]

"There's conflicting information, so we're trying to vet all the information to find out what is rumors and also what would be actual factual," Fisher said. "We're trying to get down to the facts."

Please see Elko's Press Release of 6/9/22 (post #248 up-thread) that help explain Fisher's comments.

RBUBM. It’s probably sloppy reporting.

I'll have to go read the Facebook page again but I was under the impression they were using Montello as a central meeting place so I assumed they were searching both areas and in between. But other than that I haven't seen anything other than the Saddle Sore sighting(s). I still don't understand all that fake hostage incident in Montello even tho CC explained it. ^^bbm

Seems to me that DR's family believes Box Elder County SAR, family, and friends sufficiently covered the radius they believed applicable in Lucin/Box Elder County and were anxious to cross the border where there had been no official searches.

As to the fake hostage, sadly, I'm surprised that the tipster or contact didn't request a ransom paid in advance by DR's family to release just the alleged location where their son was held.

While I think there's generally more compassion and outreach at times like this, there's always that one mean-spirited, cruel party that occasionally makes an appearance to deceive.

It feels to me that the family has found conflicting info, OR they have their own idea of who may be involved---they cannot say it publicly but maybe they want to search certain areas because of their suspicions?

Updated at 5:12 pm, June 9, 2022

Cooley says search crews, family and friends have done a thorough search of Rounds’ property and around Lucin to the Nevada border. Utah officials have been helpful, and now she hopes the focus can shift to Nevada.

“We are begging for Nevada officials to help us. I think he was taken, and he did not leave his place willingly. We need Nevada to help us out,” Cooley says.

[..]

Rounds’ family is planning for a large search on Saturday and hope they can find more clues about where he could be. Cooley says her son was not mentally distressed, has no enemies, was not dating anyone and his biggest care was the farm.

I do not believe he self harmed.
I do not believe he left voluntarily.
Above based on his parents' interviews.
His dad said he intended to be there to watch his crop grow.
Poignant words, but they both appear to be utter realists.

I don't believe this is a possibility either, he was 6'11" and weighed 160lbs. Not a soft target but I'm just mentioning it because the figures are shocking

I keep getting back to someone wanting his land because it holds something unique.
Maybe there are tunnels used for smuggling or trafficking??
All wildly speculative of me.
I feel so sorry for him, he should have been allowed to fulfil his dream. He was so focused, so hard working.

Utah crimes

• In 2020, a total of 79,077 index crimes were committed, which indicates a 5.69% increase in the overall number of index crimes from 2019. (Index crimes include homicide and non-negligent manslaughter, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny, motor vehicle theft, and arson)
  • There were 84,050 arrests reported in 2020. This is a 20.74% decrease from 2019.
  • This was a true increase in reported crimes, not just due to a growing population.
Crimes against people:

• The overall number of violent crimes increased 1.04%. Violent crime changes were as follows: Homicides increased by 44.16%, Robberies increased by 5.78%, and Aggravated Assaults increased by 2.70%.
  • Though homicides increased in Utah, the rate of homicides per 100,000 (3.1%) was less than half of the national rate (6.5%).
  • Firearms were used in 66.67% of the homicides reported.
  • 15.04% of the homicides reported involved family relationships, while 84.96% did not.
  • Reported hate crimes increased from 45 in 2019 to 46 in 2020 a 2.22% increase.
  • Rapes were the only violent crime against persons that decreased in 2020, with a decrease of 10.06%.
This holds no clues but suggests the stakes were higher in the past year.
Article includes a section on property crimes.

Was he shot with his own gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member