GUILTY CO - Riley Whitelaw, 17, found fatally stabbed at Walgreens, Colorado Springs, June 2022 *arrest*

"Another manager at the store, Crystal Ishmael, said Whitelaw’s boyfriend was hired on about three months ago. When that happened, Ishmael said, Johnson “appeared to be acting jealous.”
Police say during a Mirandized interview, Johnson admitted he’d had a crush on Whitelaw at one time, but that he no longer had feelings for her, because he had become “intimate” with Ishmael.

Ishmael, one of the store managers previously mentioned, had not mentioned that relationship to officers, according to the arrest affidavit."

I have seeeeeeeerrrrrious doubts about this guy's claim that he's dating his manager. He seems like a typical thin-skinned misogynist workplace predator, who sees his female coworkers only as sexual objects and can't deal with rejection AT ALL.

I admit there is an infinitesimally-small chance he's telling the truth, in which case I would have to ask if Ishmael, the female manager, omitted the fact that she's dating Johnson in an attempt to cover for him. Having read the affidavit--link to it is in the article @PawneeDew posted--it DOES seem really strange that Ishmael went outside looking for Whitelaw before her body was found, tried to open the door to the dumpster area, and couldn't--a man's voice from inside the dumpster area aid he was changing so the manager just...walked away. I looked at the parking lot for the Walgreens via Google Earth and am attaching a photo that shows the dumpster enclosure. Is it, um, super-common in Colorado for people to change clothes in the dumpster enclosure? Why on Earth *wouldn't* the manager wonder if something was amiss?!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 4.04.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 4.04.28 PM.png
    577.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Absolutely.
This part especially burnt my biscuits:

"Manager Justin Zunino said Whitelaw had complained about Johnson last year. She said Johnson had made advances toward her and it made her feel uncomfortable, according to court documents. Zunino reported he’d told Johnson to “keep things professional,” and said Johnson “appeared to be receptive.”

Still, Zunino told police, Whitelaw had asked to work a different schedule just a few weeks ago, again, telling her manager Johnson made her feel uncomfortable. However, Whitelaw asked for additional hours – which, Zunino said required that she’d work with Johnson. Zunino said Whitelaw was told that would happen."

So Whitelaw's male manager told Whitelaw, the employee who had NOT had a complaint made against her, that there was no other way to accommodate her request for extra hours without having her work at the same time as Johnson. Of course there was a way to avoid that--FIRE the employee who's had a complaint made against him! But, the manager may have reasoned, that would not be fair to Johnson, who'd "seemed receptive" when his male manager told him to "keep it professional" (which, IMO, is a far cry from saying to Johnson, "Knock it the h**l off with the sexual harassment or find another job").

The manager seems to have decided that, if Whitelaw wanted the extra shifts that badly, she would just have to tolerate Johnson's sexual harassment. One can't go firing an employee just on the grounds of ONE female employee making a complaint about him, right?

I can not think of one productive thing to say. My mind races in SO MANY different directions of how this will ripple - so many lawsuits coming - civil and criminal. So much went wrong, none of it rationally defensible. wow. Tragic on oodles of levels for so many people who now have such suffering to contend with...

I can not think of one productive thing to say. My mind races in SO MANY different directions of how this will ripple - so many lawsuits coming - civil and criminal. So much went wrong, none of it rationally defensible. wow. Tragic on oodles of levels for so many people who now have such suffering to contend with...
Ya. I read they closed that Walgreens indefinitely...

"Another manager at the store, Crystal Ishmael, said Whitelaw’s boyfriend was hired on about three months ago. When that happened, Ishmael said, Johnson “appeared to be acting jealous.”
Police say during a Mirandized interview, Johnson admitted he’d had a crush on Whitelaw at one time, but that he no longer had feelings for her, because he had become “intimate” with Ishmael.

Ishmael, one of the store managers previously mentioned, had not mentioned that relationship to officers, according to the arrest affidavit."

I have seeeeeeeerrrrrious doubts about this guy's claim that he's dating his manager. He seems like a typical thin-skinned misogynist workplace predator, who sees his female coworkers only as sexual objects and can't deal with rejection AT ALL.

I admit there is an infinitesimally-small chance he's telling the truth, in which case I would have to ask if Ishmael, the female manager, omitted the fact that she's dating Johnson in an attempt to cover for him. Having read the affidavit--link to it is in the article @PawneeDew posted--it DOES seem really strange that Ishmael went outside looking for Whitelaw before her body was found, tried to open the door to the dumpster area, and couldn't--a man's voice from inside the dumpster area aid he was changing so the manager just...walked away. I looked at the parking lot for the Walgreens via Google Earth and am attaching a photo that shows the dumpster enclosure. Is it, um, super-common in Colorado for people to change clothes in the dumpster enclosure? Why on Earth *wouldn't* the manager wonder if something was amiss?!
In my opinion, as a manager, she should have reported anyone being in the dumpster enclosure unless they actually belonged there.

This part especially burnt my biscuits:

"Manager Justin Zunino said Whitelaw had complained about Johnson last year. She said Johnson had made advances toward her and it made her feel uncomfortable, according to court documents. Zunino reported he’d told Johnson to “keep things professional,” and said Johnson “appeared to be receptive.”

Still, Zunino told police, Whitelaw had asked to work a different schedule just a few weeks ago, again, telling her manager Johnson made her feel uncomfortable. However, Whitelaw asked for additional hours – which, Zunino said required that she’d work with Johnson. Zunino said Whitelaw was told that would happen."

So Whitelaw's male manager told Whitelaw, the employee who had NOT had a complaint made against her, that there was no other way to accommodate her request for extra hours without having her work at the same time as Johnson. Of course there was a way to avoid that--FIRE the employee who's had a complaint made against him! But, the manager may have reasoned, that would not be fair to Johnson, who'd "seemed receptive" when his male manager told him to "keep it professional" (which, IMO, is a far cry from saying to Johnson, "Knock it the h**l off with the sexual harassment or find another job").

The manager seems to have decided that, if Whitelaw wanted the extra shifts that badly, she would just have to tolerate Johnson's sexual harassment. One can't go firing an employee just on the grounds of ONE female employee making a complaint about him, right?
Omg, you nailed it right on the head with your post! This is why I had to post this immediately and get people involved. This was preventable in my opinion.

Also, unreal; this happened at 7pm? It was actually still broad daylight. Where was everyone else??

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet...I would rather get to know the victim of this. I think I know enough about the perp...it's the same almost every time, so sad. Can someone post his mugshot? He has scratches all over his hands and his face, looks like a mama cat got ahold of him..

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet...I would rather get to know the victim of this. I think I know enough about the perp...it's the same almost every time, so sad. Can someone post his mugshot? He has scratches all over his hands and his face, looks like a mama cat got ahold of him..
I know she was on the color guard for her school. That’s how I found out about it. My daughter is on the color guard for her high school here in the Springs. Rocky Mountain Color Guard Association (RMCGA) made a memorial post and I looked up her name. So sad. And everyone is right, so preventable. Makes me want to have a talk with my girls…

SBM
joshua-johnson.png

It's clear she fought for her life with everything she had. Poor Riley. May she rest in peace. :(

I know she was on the color guard for her school. That’s how I found out about it. My daughter is on the color guard for her high school here in the Springs. Rocky Mountain Color Guard Association (RMCGA) made a memorial post and I looked up her name. So sad. And everyone is right, so preventable. Makes me want to have a talk with my girls…
Please, have that talk with your girls.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27