OH - Pike Co, 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #69

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting for anyone who may have missed this or wants to see it again. How the Wagner's treated their son's partners. I believe the partners will testify at trial and a lot more about this will come out. Stomach turning stuff. There is more in the Other Acts Motion evidence. Spying, threats, etc...

The four Wagner family members charged shared all their finances with each other and made decisions as a group about every aspect of their lives, Canepa said. While this included committing the homicides, it also involved relationships and selecting partners, as well as sharing intimate details of ongoing relationships.

The elder Wagners had a history of seeking control over the offspring of their two sons and of seeking to isolate and control their girlfriends/wives, Canepa said. This included making the grandchildren call Angela their mother and becoming upset when Jake’s wife, the child’s stepmother, called the wife "mom," prosecutors said.

To help demonstrate the control the elder Wagners had, George IV’s ex-wife would testify that she was only allowed to call her mother once a year, Canepa said.

There were threats of violence against former partners, including one incident where Angela told son George’s now ex-wife that she would “go get the gun," Canepa said. The woman fled the home, hid in a barn until dark and then rode a bike to a nearby gas station to call for help, she said.

Canepa said the woman Jake met and married while in Alaska became a concern to the Wagner family, and she even kept a journal about their controlling nature. Jake didn’t want to end the relationship, but gave in to the other family members who voted that he end the relationship.

Canepa said the Wagner patriarch, Billy, set up a fake "lucrative" drug deal meeting with Christopher Rhoden Sr. at his Union Hill Road property, but it was an ambush.

"Chris Sr. expected to see Billy Wagner that night," Canepa said. "He did not know Jake and George were present, because they were hidden in the car."

That new fact squares with an anecdote Dana Rhoden's late father, Leonard Manley, told reporters shortly after his daughter and her family were found dead.

“Whoever done it know’d the family because there were two dogs there that would eat you up, but I ain’t gonna say no more,” Manley said at the time.

Leonard also was the one who mentioned the custody dispute right away. When asked about the Wagner's specifically he said nothing because I believe he suspected them. This was either after the laser focus or after the arrests.
LM did also mention custody in a video interview on May 10th. He did not mention the Wagners. I am sure everyone has seen it before but I ran across it again the other day.

LM did also mention custody in a video interview on May 10th. He did not mention the Wagners. I am sure everyone has seen it before but I ran across it again the other day.

He ignored the MSM question about the Wagners but he did talk about how Jake used to come to his house every Christmas.

He ignored the MSM question about the Wagners but he did talk about how Jake used to come to his house every Christmas.
Yes, I was referring to a different video but I do remember the one where he talked about Jake and Christmas that was about a year after the murders.
Video from around May 10, 2016.

Yes, I was referring to a different video but I do remember the one where he talked about Jake and Christmas that was about a year after the murders.
Video from around May 10, 2016.
Interview Question on video asked of LM by a Daily Mail reporter:

"Do you believe that the marijuana had something to do with the murders?"

Leonard Manley's immediate answer to that question - Quote:

"I don't know I think it was just road rage attack and maybe a child custody thing."

Interview in this article:

Grandfather of Ohio massacre victims claims police are ignoring 'road rage' attack | Daily Mail Online

Reader said some of the family was involved in two fights not reported to police before the murders.
https://www.wcpo.com/longform/pike-...lers-in-rhoden-family-homicides-may-be-locals

In one video Leonard says there are 2 possibilities to the murders but he "ain't gonna say."

In an interview I posted from the Daily Mail he says it could be road rage or child custody so I think he means these 2 things.

Last edited:
I find it a "weird" coincidence that when the jurors are questioned in court for George's trial - Initial questioning of jurors starting July 5-14, I have to start calling in for Jury duty the week of July 11th.

Just an interesting coincidence.

ONE WEEK ON CALL OR ONE TRIAL.

Interview Question on video asked of LM by a Daily Mail reporter:

"Do you believe that the marijuana had something to do with the murders?"

Leonard Manley's immediate answer to that question - Quote:

"I don't know I think it was just road rage attack and maybe a child custody thing."

Interview in this article:

Grandfather of Ohio massacre victims claims police are ignoring 'road rage' attack | Daily Mail Online

Reader said some of the family was involved in two fights not reported to police before the murders.
https://www.wcpo.com/longform/pike-...lers-in-rhoden-family-homicides-may-be-locals

In one video Leonard says there are 2 possibilities to the murders but he "ain't gonna say."

In an interview I posted from the Daily Mail he says it could be road rage or child custody so I think he means these 2 things.
Len told us so much in his, shall I say little chats but some went over our heads at the time. Dearest Len, you may not be here to see and hear what's going on now but I'm darn sure you will be there in the Court House when the time comes with the families. Between you and Charlie Reader, you both knew who dunnit. Thank you Len.

Yup, just like alot of us thought, BCI was using social media. My opinion is that this included WS and the site that was shut down plus Facebook groups etc....

The interception warrants gave investigators 30 days to listen to cell calls and read text messages from the Wagners and place four listening devices in an R-L Carriers semi-truck. George IV and Jake Wagner were working for R-L Carriers out of the Warren County location.

They were installed in Montana when the brothers were crossing the border from Canada, according to Hagaman.

Hagaman stated to the special prosecutor that BCI had to “tickle the wires” to get the suspects to talk about the crime.

At the time I thought they were "tickling the wires" when they put out the laser focus in the MSM.

The prosecution presented a sheet of phone numbers that Hagaman says belonged to all four Wagners.

According to the sheet, BCI started listening to the conversations two years after the murders of all eight members of the Rhoden family.

Hagaman said they would put out feelers on SOCIAL MEDIA to try and get the Wagners to talk about the case.

BCI also sent a court order to Angela Wagner’s mother, Rita, to spur conversation between the two brothers
while they were on the road and had to use cell phones to communicate because they were not face-to face with their mother and father.

Last edited:

Yup, just like alot of us thought, BCI was using social media. My opinion is that this included WS and the site that was shut down plus Facebook groups etc....

The interception warrants gave investigators 30 days to listen to cell calls and read text messages from the Wagners and place four listening devices in an R-L Carriers semi-truck. George IV and Jake Wagner were working for R-L Carriers out of the Warren County location.

They were installed in Montana when the brothers were crossing the border from Canada, according to Hagaman.

Hagaman stated to the special prosecutor that BCI had to “tickle the wires” to get the suspects to talk about the crime.

At the time I thought they were "tickling the wires" when they put out the laser focus in the MSM.

The prosecution presented a sheet of phone numbers that Hagaman says belonged to all four Wagners.

According to the sheet, BCI started listening to the conversations two years after the murders of all eight members of the Rhoden family.

Hagaman said they would put out feelers on SOCIAL MEDIA to try and get the Wagners to talk about the case.

BCI also sent a court order to Angela Wagner’s mother, Rita, to spur conversation between the two brothers
while they were on the road and had to use cell phones to communicate because they were not face-to face with their mother and father.
I’m very glad they aren’t as smart as they thought they were.

I’m very glad they aren’t as smart as they thought they were.

I think what happened is they spent most of their time paying attention to the actual details of that night and to details of hiding evidence that night. To not be seen by anyone that night was a big priority. They even bought a vehicle just for that night and knew how to dismantle the security cameras. I still think Kenny was a way to throw the investigation off and help keep it away from being just about the family on UHR. Make it more drug related.

In other words they neglected to cover their tracks BEFORE the crimes in the 4 months leading up to that night.

It is also peculiar that they didn't throw away the shoe reciept, Jake's phone, George told Jake "I told you to get rid of your phone" and the laptop with all the hacked screenshots and downloaded custody documents. Oh, and not throwing out the custody documents themselves.

It seems like they didn't realize BCI would search Jake's truck, as if BCI wouldn't know about that car lot - place of business.

So many mistakes that we now know this was not the "sophisticated operation" that it was originally believed to have been.

I also think there was panic. Having brass catchers yet leaving several pieces of ballistic evidence at Frankie's and a casing under Hanna's crib, and a bullet under Chris's house with a casing on the porch etc... Also, the footprints show how sloppy and panicky and unsophisticated it really was.

Basically I could write out a long list of their amateur mistakes. No defense attorney would want to touch me with a 10 foot pole as to my being on George's jury. I believe the evidence is overwhelming and I predict he will be found guilty of all 8 murders.

I consider those of us who give our opinions here as a good cross reference of how alot of people in Pike County feel about the Case. The citizens who have closely followed the Case.

I hope the trial stays in Pike County. I think Deering will really try to make this happen.

From @Covert Operative:

At Approx 1:24 in bond hearing the BCI agent says they located 5- 22 long rifle shell casings and a 22 long rifle cartridge at FR/HG. Cartridge is an unfired bullet. The one in the picture of the hand in blue glove is the unfired cartridge I believe found in between them. It shows the bottom of it. Also in the diagram/sketch of the crime scene at FR/HG it shows 5 tags that are numbered which I believe are the 5 shell casings that were found.
George Wagner request for bail denied after hearing reveals new details | WKRC (local12.com)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021

Last edited:
I find it a "weird" coincidence that when the jurors are questioned in court for George's trial - Initial questioning of jurors starting July 5-14, I have to start calling in for Jury duty the week of July 11th.

Just an interesting coincidence.

ONE WEEK ON CALL OR ONE TRIAL.
EEK!
Are you on state or federal jury duty? In my state jury duty is one day/one trial. You call in the night before to find out if you need to report. If not, you're excused.
If it is a Federal Jury, you need to call in for an entire week and be prepared to report the next day if needed.

JMO

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220608-214715.png
    Screenshot_20220608-214715.png
    420.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20220110-150058.png
    Screenshot_20220110-150058.png
    286 KB · Views: 17
EEK!
Are you on state or federal jury duty? In my state jury duty is one day/one trial. You call in the night before to find out if you need to report. If not, you're excused.
If it is a Federal Jury, you need to call in for an entire week and be prepared to report the next day if needed.

JMO

It is State. It says I have to:

Begin calling the recorded jury hotline (gives number) after 5:00pm the Friday before your term of service begins for reporting instructions, then CONTINUE CALLING Monday thru Thursday after 5:00pm for updated instructions.

So for 5 days you have no idea if you have to report to court or not. Once I was cancelled and another time I made it into the court gallery where the judge would call out a person's name and they would go and sit with everyone in the jury section and the defense, prosecution and judge would ask questions.

A jury was picked before my name was called.

I've never been called for Jury Service, too late now at age 72.

In my State you can serve at age 70-plus but you can also bow out without giving a reason. You can also take your name out of the jury pool.

But not in all States.

Last November, 87-year-old Nell Prescott was called to jury duty in Montgomery County.

Prescott, who doesn’t drive more than a mile or so around her home, asked to be excused from service. But a bill proposed by Rep. Rod Scott, D-Fairfield, would allow those older than 70 to take themselves out of the jury pool before they’re even called.

“I’ve been called many times and I’ve always enjoyed it,” she said. “Since I’ve gotten older, my husband’s had to drive me everywhere. I think they should be able to take their name out.”

The bill has been discussed in the House Judiciary Committee. The topic sparked debate among legislators about whether the bill is a good idea. It would allow seniors to take their names out of the jury pool, but also allows them to reinstate themselves should they change their mind.

In my State you can serve at age 70-plus but you can also bow out without giving a reason. You can also take your name out of the jury pool.

But not in all States.

Last November, 87-year-old Nell Prescott was called to jury duty in Montgomery County.

Prescott, who doesn’t drive more than a mile or so around her home, asked to be excused from service. But a bill proposed by Rep. Rod Scott, D-Fairfield, would allow those older than 70 to take themselves out of the jury pool before they’re even called.

“I’ve been called many times and I’ve always enjoyed it,” she said. “Since I’ve gotten older, my husband’s had to drive me everywhere. I think they should be able to take their name out.”

The bill has been discussed in the House Judiciary Committee. The topic sparked debate among legislators about whether the bill is a good idea. It would allow seniors to take their names out of the jury pool, but also allows them to reinstate themselves should they change their mind.

I've just checked UK ruling and it's either 75 now or going up to 75. I didn't read when this took/will take place as I've got bleary eyes at this time of night.

I've just checked UK ruling and it's either 75 now or going up to 75. I didn't read when this took/will take place as I've got bleary eyes at this time of night.
Another good article when your awake!

In many states, seniors have the right to decline jury duty based on their age. But the age limits and rules vary by state and by type of court, so if you are summoned for jury duty, check with the court to determine if you are exempt.

The majority of states have a rule in place that allows individuals over a certain age to choose not to serve on a jury if called. How this works varies by state and by court. Some states allow anyone over a certain age to be permanently exempted; other states allow seniors to be excused from serving if they are called.

Some states require notice in writing; other states have a box the senior can check on the jury summons form. The ages at which seniors can be exempted or excused are 65 (Mississippi and South Carolina), 70 (Alabama, Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Nevada, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia), 72 (North Carolina and Wyoming), 75 (Arizona, Indiana, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, and Pennsylvania), and 80 (Hawaii and South Dakota).

Some states have more complicated rules regarding seniors and jury duty. In Nevada, for example, everyone over age 65 who lives 65 miles or more away from the court is exempt from serving on a jury. Once you reach age 70 in Nevada, you are exempt from serving on a jury no matter where you live. In California, individuals with a permanent health problem can be exempted from jury duty, but if you are 70 years or older, you don’t need a doctor’s verification of the health problem.

I think what happened is they spent most of their time paying attention to the actual details of that night and to details of hiding evidence that night. To not be seen by anyone that night was a big priority. They even bought a vehicle just for that night and knew how to dismantle the security cameras. I still think Kenny was a way to throw the investigation off and help keep it away from being just about the family on UHR. Make it more drug related.

In other words they neglected to cover their tracks BEFORE the crimes in the 4 months leading up to that night.

It is also peculiar that they didn't throw away the shoe reciept, Jake's phone, George told Jake "I told you to get rid of your phone" and the laptop with all the hacked screenshots and downloaded custody documents. Oh, and not throwing out the custody documents themselves.

It seems like they didn't realize BCI would search Jake's truck, as if BCI wouldn't know about that car lot - place of business.

So many mistakes that we now know this was not the "sophisticated operation" that it was originally believed to have been.

I also think there was panic. Having brass catchers yet leaving several pieces of ballistic evidence at Frankie's and a casing under Hanna's crib, and a bullet under Chris's house with a casing on the porch etc... Also, the footprints show how sloppy and panicky and unsophisticated it really was.

Basically I could write out a long list of their amateur mistakes. No defense attorney would want to touch me with a 10 foot pole as to my being on George's jury. I believe the evidence is overwhelming and I predict he will be found guilty of all 8 murders.

I consider those of us who give our opinions here as a good cross reference of how alot of people in Pike County feel about the Case. The citizens who have closely followed the Case.

I hope the trial stays in Pike County. I think Deering will really try to make this happen.

From @Covert Operative:

At Approx 1:24 in bond hearing the BCI agent says they located 5- 22 long rifle shell casings and a 22 long rifle cartridge at FR/HG. Cartridge is an unfired bullet. The one in the picture of the hand in blue glove is the unfired cartridge I believe found in between them. It shows the bottom of it. Also in the diagram/sketch of the crime scene at FR/HG it shows 5 tags that are numbered which I believe are the 5 shell casings that were found.
George Wagner request for bail denied after hearing reveals new details | WKRC (local12.com)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
this is a great examination of how the wags were caught and its scary to think that if they were a little smarter they could not have been indicted. it seems that under the current level of direct evidence which is needed to secure a conviction they left almost none. but as reader said all their lies added up.

if none of the wagners had ever granted police interviews, if they had never crossed the canadian border, and if they had disposed of some simple paperwork, abtop and phones, these indictments could not have happened. it would be just another murder where the police know who did the killing, but couldnt prove it in a court of law. even now when we know for sure they did it, without jakes confession, these trials would be a crap shoot. its never been more difficult to secure a murder conviction thanks to the csi effect and defense lawyers endless carosel of suppression motions and appeal stratedgies after conviction. it constricts and suffocates the ability of prosecutors to put murderers away.

the investigation team is just down right amazing and the tenacity they showed for the victims and survivors is truly heroic. this was a hate crime plain and simple. the wagners thought no one would care if they slaughtered the rhoden famly. in fact in the plot of the wags favorite movie, people are actually grateful for the murders. they couldnt have been more wrong and now their particularly cruel brand of cult family is on display for all.

this is a great examination of how the wags were caught and its scary to think that if they were a little smarter they could not have been indicted. it seems that under the current level of direct evidence which is needed to secure a conviction they left almost none. but as reader said all their lies added up.

if none of the wagners had ever granted police interviews, if they had never crossed the canadian border, and if they had disposed of some simple paperwork, abtop and phones, these indictments could not have happened. it would be just another murder where the police know who did the killing, but couldnt prove it in a court of law. even now when we know for sure they did it, without jakes confession, these trials would be a crap shoot. its never been more difficult to secure a murder conviction thanks to the csi effect and defense lawyers endless carosel of suppression motions and appeal stratedgies after conviction. it constricts and suffocates the ability of prosecutors to put murderers away.

the investigation team is just down right amazing and the tenacity they showed for the victims and survivors is truly heroic. this was a hate crime plain and simple. the wagners thought no one would care if they slaughtered the rhoden famly. in fact in the plot of the wags favorite movie, people are actually grateful for the murders. they couldnt have been more wrong and now their particularly cruel brand of cult family is on display for all.
I think the Ws underestimated the efforts LE would out into this case. They thought, like they did, that no one would care the Rhodens were dead and the investigation would be dropped. Fortunately that didn’t happen.

Pike County had a lot of power outages this week to deal with, (and heat indexes of 105 degrees) but today is much brighter for them and most power is restored . Luckily no lives were lost. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23