UT UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, wkg on farm, “weird run-in” with a guy walking on gravel rd, no phone & CC activity, Lucin, Box Elder Co, 25 May 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking this over with my husband (from a farm family) he has the opinion that a farmer would never come out of his shoes in the field unless they were super muddy and therefore heavy. From the photos it appears this area is dry, dry, dry. Which makes me wonder if the barefoot man either took the boots or was given them, then decided when walking he'd rather be barefoot (they didn't fit well, blisters, etc.) and he pitched them. JMO.

I also agree they need to check that dirt pile unless it's obviously undisturbed.
BBM. Interesting point. His parents insist these were Dylan’s boots because he always ALWAYS buys the same kind of boots. Assuming the boots do belong to Dylan, how do they know they’re the boots he was most recently wearing and not an older pair? It’s not unreasonable someone would give a pair of shoes they aren’t using to someone with no shoes of their own.

BBM. Interesting point. His parents insist these were Dylan’s boots because he always ALWAYS buys the same kind of boots. Assuming the boots do belong to Dylan, how do they know they’re the boots he was most recently wearing and not an older pair? It’s not unreasonable someone would give a pair of shoes they aren’t using to someone with no shoes of their own.
I've also been thinking of back when my husband said he might only have come out of his boots if they were muddy and therefore heavy to walk in. I said the area appeared dry, dry, dry, but then reports were that actually it did rain so then I wondered - was there a lot of mud on the boots, or were they clean? The boots are stuck in my mind, along with a few other things. I know there have been many prayers said for Dylan and his whole family to be able to have a resolution in this case.

I wear my boots down to the nub. You can tell my new boots by the wear, compared to my newer boots. I get a new pair every year/year and a half. I dont take them off until the last moment of my day when I'm finally home and feet up in my recliner. In my experience.

PI not a good idea they're always a waste of money and time. I can understand why family would because it's out of desperation. A profiler would be better
I'm not going to lump all PI's in one bucket. Some of the retired FBI agents and big city Detectives who are now PI's are a true blessing in these scenarios.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Why would FBI be brought in? Requested by local police because they are a small dept and don’t have much experience with cases like this? Would evidence of a murder crossing state lines cause them to get involved? Just curious and wondering the specifics about when/why the FBI comes in.

Why would FBI be brought in? Requested by local police because they are a small dept and don’t have much experience with cases like this? Would evidence of a murder crossing state lines cause them to get involved? Just curious and wondering the specifics about when/why the FBI comes in.
Box Elder County is a big Sheriff Office, because Box Elder is a good sized county. A crime that crosses state lines is not the only reason the FBI gets involved. They will help any Law Enforcement agency that asks them for help. Mostly it is for forensics, either electronic or physical evidence, since they have the best tools.

Box Elder County is a big Sheriff Office, because Box Elder is a good sized county. A crime that crosses state lines is not the only reason the FBI gets involved. They will help any Law Enforcement agency that asks them for help. Mostly it is for forensics, either electronic or physical evidence, since they have the best tools.

Good answer, SuziQ.

Yes, the FBI aids in cases when requested by LE authorities. Due to their immense resources, the FBI can assist in complex cases which this one seems to be.

My heart aches bc this year Dylan was supposed to have his first crop to harvest after all these years of arduous planning and the work that he's put into this dream of his. It's just not right and simply fair at all that he may not be around come harvest time.

I don't have a theory about the boots except to say I know they are Dylan's bc his mother and father know they are his boots. Someone took Dylan and it seems all his family has of him now are those precious boots.

Yup. It also helps with jurisdictional issues as well, as they can operate across state borders, whereas local LE cannot.

I looked and haven’t been able to pinpoint the farm and trailer. Here’s the coordinates for the search check-in so it’s probably nearby: 41.31358° N, 113.86683° W
Coordinates for Dylan’s farm/trailer: 41.3056993, -113.7710305
If you put them in Google Maps in sat view the pond that Dylan dug is very visible. (They have drained and searched it.). If you zoom out, you can see the farm plot clearly.
The area where the grain shed is (41.3303196, -113.8668514)

Last edited:
I'm wondering if LE has been able to gain access to his phone records, data, etc. Considering it's a very rural area, can they determine where his phone "pinged" when he called his grandma and is that the last known location? or when did his phone activity stop?
LE may be utilizing the services of the Intermountain West Regional Computer Forensic Lab.
These regional labs are a coordinated effort between the FBI and various participating law enforcement agencies. They can analyze all types of digital forensics data obtained in criminal investigations. They may include cellphone records, computer data, vehicle forensics, etc. They will also advise in the warrant preparation for these records as well as the collection of the various sources of digital data.
Once LE has subpoenaed the various records, they may be submitted to the regional office for analysis.

Timeline, if it helps anyone. I've been looking over it but there's so little known/confirmed about 25/05-28/05 that it's getting more confusing every time.

May 25, 2022

• DR calls family members about ‘weird run-in’: a man is walking barefooted down the road and acting erratically. The man asks to use DR’s phone and for a ride. DR thinks the man may be dangerous/high. [He tells his mother that he refused to give a ride, but actually DID do so.] [the man is in a nearby county jail for unrelated charges, booked June 4, 2022]
May 26, 2022
  • Visits Montello, NV.
  • DR gets groceries at Montello Gas & Grocery. [confirmed by LE and bank statements].
  • DR calls each parent on the phone and talks about his upcoming farming plans. Dad mentions spotty service. [confirmed by phone records]
May 27, 2022 [Last known sighting]
  • Visits Montello, NV.
  • DR dines at Saddle Sore Bar-Cafe. [confirmed by LE, not by bank statements, possibly paid cash, possibly back-tracked]
May 28, 2022 [Last heard from]
  • Presumably in Lucin, UT.
  • 6.51am: DR calls grandmother to talk, but hangs up early as he needs to cover his seed truck for the upcoming rain. [confirmed by phone pings to be at the farm at this time]
  • There is heavy rain during day.
  • 3.41pm: DR’s phone gives off its last confirmed ping, covering a 15.4 mile radius which includes DR’s farm.
May 29, 2022
  • The man that DR gave a ride to and that was acting erratically, is spotted in town. [presumably in Montello, NV, unconfirmed and presumably unrelated.]
May 30, 2022 [Reported missing]
  • ±4pm: Mom recieves a phone call from DR’s best friend that nobody has heard from Dylan since May 28. She and DR’s dad travel to Lucin, UT, from Idaho and inform LE.
  • ±5pm: Police arrive at DR’s property in Lucin.
  • DR’s residence/trailer is searched: himself, his phone, wallet, car fob/keys and 0.40 pistol are missing. His trailer is not ‘ransacked’. DR’s truck, a maroon Ford, is found locked and parked near the trailer. It has been recently cleaned on the outside, in the back tires and the inside bed. The seat is pushed forward and 4WD switched on, despite having been inoperable. Family breaks the truck front window. [this is allowed by LE present]
  • ±6pm: DR’s boots are found 100 yds from the ‘shop’, where his grain truck is stored. They are taken by police as they found ‘a spot of blood’.
May 31, 2022
  • A fake call is made to LE that DR is being held hostage in Montello, NV. The call is possibly made by the owner of Saddle Sore Bar, who also worked for DR in the past. [caller unconfirmed]
Jun 6, 2022
  • DR’s boots, previously held for cadaver dogs, are sent to the labaratory.
  • DR’s brother and best friend are called in for DNA testing. [presumably routine]
Jun 13, 2022
  • Equusearch Midwest, a horse-mounted volunteer organization, joins the search.
Jun 15, 2022
  • Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office (Lucin, UT) releases a statement labeling DR’s case as a “Missing Person/Criminal Investigation” for the first time.
  • FBI and Rigby, ID police (DR’s hometown) join the search.
Jun 17, 2022
  • Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office (Lucin, UT) names the case as a criminal investigation.
Jun 17, 2022 — Jun 20, 2022 [unknown date, presumably around this time]
  • DR’s trailers are taken into police custody.
ONGOING
  • Daily searches, both by LE, family and volunteers.
  • Family, especially mom, interviews with the media.

It doesn't have to be a murder across state lines. FBI is very helpful in collecting data for an investigation whenever you have cross-over jurisdictions even within the same state. They are also able to quickly interview witnesses in other states. For example, DR was pretty much a dual resident of Idaho and Utah. (We heard this with the Morphew case where FBI played (still playing) a critical role in the missing body murder investigation). MOO

May 26, 2022
  • Visits Montello, NV.
  • DR gets groceries at Montello Gas & Grocery. [confirmed by LE and bank statements].
  • DR calls each parent on the phone and talks about his upcoming farming plans. Dad mentions spotty service. [confirmed by phone records]
May 27, 2022 [Last known sighting]
  • Visits Montello, NV.
  • DR dines at Saddle Sore Bar-Cafe. [confirmed by LE, not by bank statements, possibly paid cash, possibly back-tracked]
^^rsbm

Respectfully, there was no confirmed sighting of DR in Montello on Friday, May 27. The witness recanted after LE provided that cell phone records placed DR in Montello on Thursday, 5/26, not 5/27. Also, DR credit card records show he had lunch at Saddle Sore on Thursday, May 26, not Friday the 27th. Please reference the later or most recent interviews by CC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member