TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022 #3

The Texas Education Agency is reviewing “every aspect” of the Uvalde school shooter’s educational history, according to TEA Commissioner Mike Morath.

Morath testified Tuesday as part of the Texas Senate’s ‘Protect All Texans’ special committee hearing. He told senators the gunman, 18-year-old Salvador Ramos, became “chronically absent” starting in the sixth grade.

The commissioner said his agency is conducting what is essentially a behavioral threat assessment in chronological order.

“What did we know in sixth grade? Seventh grade? Eighth grade? Ninth grade? 10th grade? 11th grade? 12th grade?” Morath said. “[We are reviewing] all the information, sort of lessons learned, in order to improve the ability to train school systems around the state on recognizing and intervening.”
Replying to my own post to add:

This story is part of a KXAN series of reports called “Stop Mass Shootings,” providing context and exploring solutions surrounding gun violence in the wake of the deadly Uvalde school shooting. We want our reports to be a resource for Texans, as well as for lawmakers who are convening a month after the events in Uvalde to discuss how the state should move forward. Explore all “Stop Mass Shootings” stories by clicking here.

Social Media (and its part in this school shooting - and, really almost every school shooting)

I haven't seen many replies about my post on this. I'm still grappling with how to present / discuss this aspect of the case - and IT IS an aspect of the case.

First, yesterday McCraw talked about the shooter's online activity. The girl in Germany he texted. And he was a gamer - participating in online gaming chats (where they talk to each other while playing). McCraw was asked about the "attitude" of some of the people they had interviewed that had interaction with SR in some of these chats. He said that some spoke willingly and admitted they while SR had seemed "kinda weird" - they didn't think anything of it really. And if they did - well they would just block him. But there were some whose attitude was more "closed off" - kinda like an I don't have to talk to you or its none of your business type attitude - not really willing to discuss the chats.

First, you have to know that these gaming platforms are not willing to "give out" information to authorities and almost always have to be subpoenaed to even get information on people they want to talk to. And these kids know this - they know they are "protected" and can act/say whatever they want without disclosure.

The gaming aspect, I think should be discussed first. I don't want to step on any toes here - I know A LOT of people play and for 98% of people - its just a game. Something to do. But for that other 1 - 2%, I believe its so much more.

These games are graphic - VERY GRAPHIC. I remember back when my son was a gamer (and he became a sniper in the army), I would go into his room to put laundry away or whatever and the minute I stepped in the room the first thing I would say is "turn the blood off". And yes, you can turn the blood off. They would make me sick to my stomach.

Acronyms you need to know - FPS - first person shooter, TPS - third person shooter, RPG - role playing game, K/D Ratio - kill / death ratio, Camper - (this means you just stay in one place and "pick off" people that come upon you - its also considered cheating among a lot of gamers).

The Sandy Hook shooter was a gamer.
The Parkland shooter was a gamer.
The Santa Fe shooter was a gamer.
The Michigan shooter (whose parents have been charged as well) was a gamer.
and now SR was a gamer.

While they are playing these games they talk to each other, laughing/joking about who they just killed or where someone they are looking for could be hiding and how they are going to "light them up" once they find them.

Some of them even wear depends so they don't have to get up to go to the bathroom - :eek: - I kid you not!

They become so obsessed they play for 2 days straight - non-stop. Not even to eat.

Its becoming a culture of very violent socialization. And yes, its how a lot of our youth are being socialized now. While chatting they talk about IRL shootings - mass shootings, the school shootings and they joke about how many the shooter took out and that "I could have gotten more" and even review the details pointing out where the shooter went wrong here or there.

IDK what the answer is here. I don't. But I have certainly seen that its a problem when it comes to these school shootings - maybe more oversight by the gaming companies to be able to spot "red flags" - I don't know. I do know it seems to glorify that being a good shooter wins you acclaim and accolades for having a high K/D ratio. And is that what we want as a society?

Please don't be offended by this if you are a gamer. I get it. They are just games like I said. Just like the guns - they are just guns - but a gun in the wrong hands.........................well, these games in the wrong hands.........

Kids today have been raised on "screens" - giving a toddler a phone to "play with" is the norm. So these kids have grown up with this and don't see the signs of where "its just a game" crosses over a line to become an "obsession that I want to carry out in real life".

Sorry for the length of this - but I do feel this really needs to be discussed when it comes to these school shootings because it has played a part - a big part.

Thoughts?

JMHO

Last edited:
So she knew he bought the guns? or?

Not necessarily. In my experience, banking changed dramatically after 911 where today, not every applicant is approved for banking privileges.

Many parents have joint accounts with their teens or college-age kids where their activity is often limited to making deposits to the account if required. And same with adult children, when my dad passed, I became joint owner of my mom's bank account and I've never registered for any online access and don't see the statements that go directly to her address.

I don't recall when Ramos started working at local food franchises but according to the hearings, he'd been saving his earnings for his intended use. We know from the DPS Director that Ramos used a debit card for the purchase of at least one of his weapons. And even if his grandmother reviewed the statements monthly, she would have been weeks away from knowing about his gun purchases that occurred only days before the shooting. JMO

Last edited:
I think the child abuse case for the Stoneman Douglas officer who did not act is coming up. This chief needs to get himself some legal counsel and probably needs to plead the 5th. He is at risk for civil and criminal cases to be brought against him.

Those kids, teachers, families deserved so much better from the people who cared for them. For goodness sakes, there were children who called multiple times for the police to come. They did all they could to stay alive and get help for their teachers and friends who were dying.
^^bbm

To my knowledge, Texas legislators have not successfully passed qualified immunity providing for employees such as Police Chief PA to be personally sued criminally or civilly.

IMO, Lawsuits will ultimately be insurance settlements from the District, City, etc. To quote one of the opponents of HB 88, “If I get hit by a UPS driver, I’m not suing the driver, I’m suing UPS,” he said.

"Because of the lack of clarity that remains and the unknown timing of when I will receive the results of the investigations, I have made the decision to place Chief Arredondo on administrative leave effective on this date [Wednesday, June 22, 2022]," Superintendent Hal Harrell wrote in the announcement to the media.

Lt. Mike Hernandez is assuming the duties of the UCISD Chief of Police, Harrell said.

Last edited:
Does this admin leave mean that PA is suspended?

Or are they 2 different legal things?

Some papers seem to use them as synonims, but I don't think they are.

Last edited:
6/23/22

At the city council meeting, McLaughlin noted that officers from at least eight law enforcement agencies were in the hallway outside the classrooms on the day of the shooting. McLaughlin said he has no desire to pursue elected office again and is "not covering up for anybody," saying all responding agencies should be held accountable.

He said the leaking of certain bits of information over the past few weeks "continues to create chaos in our community and keeps the whole truth from coming out."

He particularly took aim at what he said was a false report that local police weren't cooperating with investigators, and he expressed his frustration with being left in the dark.

I don't think anybody can discount the Mayors issue of how initial reports about the events of 5/24 were a mess -- the news reports seemed to change from day to day. It wasn't until yesterday that I felt we finally had credible, confirmation that the classroom doors cannot be locked from the interior.

However, IMO, the early misinformation on various details has nothing to do with Chief PA, the incident commander, failing the victims, their families, his fellow officers, the community, and all others affected by this tragedy. We did not have to be there to know that it took 77 minutes for officers to breach the classroom and take down the shooter under Chief PA's command.

Clearly, Mayor McLaughlin would never think of traveling to 8 different towns outside of Uvalde and expect to take charge of their town councils anymore than he'd expect the Mayor of San Antonio (or 7 other towns) to step up and direct Uvalde's City Council as he sat in his head chair. It's ridiculous for him to double down with his enabling of the District Police Chief, PA. MOO

Last edited:
Does this admin leave mean that PA is suspended?

Or are they 2 different legal things?

Some papers seem to use them as synonims, but I don't think they are.

No, it does not mean PA is suspended but on temporary leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

Administrative leave is a temporary leave from a job assignment, with pay and benefits intact. Generally, the term is reserved for employees of non-business institutions such as schools, police, and hospitals.

IMO, I don't think anybody will see any difference. PA has already been homebound, not leaving, and avoiding all public contact. JMO

Last edited:
No, it does not mean PA is suspended but on temporary leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

Administrative leave is a temporary leave from a job assignment, with pay and benefits intact. Generally, the term is reserved for employees of non-business institutions such as schools, police, and hospitals.

IMO, I don't think anybody will see any difference. PA has already been homebound, not leaving, and avoiding all public contact. JMO
Thanks.
As I was scrolling through Twitter I saw both in headlines:
- put on leave
- suspended

And the difference is in legalities.

Last edited:
I think the child abuse case for the Stoneman Douglas officer who did not act is coming up. This chief needs to get himself some legal counsel and probably needs to plead the 5th. He is at risk for civil and criminal cases to be brought against him.

Those kids, teachers, families deserved so much better from the people who cared for them. For goodness sakes, there were children who called multiple times for the police to come. They did all they could to stay alive and get help for their teachers and friends who were dying.
Their combined dereliction of duty is unforgivable and deserves punishment, both civil and
criminal.

Social Media (and its part in this school shooting - and, really almost every school shooting)

I haven't seen many replies about my post on this. I'm still grappling with how to present / discuss this aspect of the case - and IT IS an aspect of the case.

First, yesterday McCraw talked about the shooter's online activity. The girl in Germany he texted. And he was a gamer - participating in online gaming chats (where they talk to each other while playing). McCraw was asked about the "attitude" of some of the people they had interviewed that had interaction with SR in some of these chats. He said that some spoke willingly and admitted they while SR had seemed "kinda weird" - they didn't think anything of it really. And if they did - well they would just block him. But there were some whose attitude was more "closed off" - kinda like an I don't have to talk to you or its none of your business type attitude - not really willing to discuss the chats.

First, you have to know that these gaming platforms are not willing to "give out" information to authorities and almost always have to be subpoenaed to even get information on people they want to talk to. And these kids know this - they know they are "protected" and can act/say whatever they want without disclosure.

The gaming aspect, I think should be discussed first. I don't want to step on any toes here - I know A LOT of people play and for 98% of people - its just a game. Something to do. But for that other 1 - 2%, I believe its so much more.

These games are graphic - VERY GRAPHIC. I remember back when my son was a gamer (and he became a sniper in the army), I would go into his room to put laundry away or whatever and the minute I stepped in the room the first thing I would say is "turn the blood off". And yes, you can turn the blood off. They would make me sick to my stomach.

Acronyms you need to know - FPS - first person shooter, TPS - third person shooter, RPG - role playing game, K/D Ratio - kill / death ratio, Camper - (this means you just stay in one place and "pick off" people that come upon you - its also considered cheating among a lot of gamers).

and now SR was a gamer.

While they are playing these games they talk to each other, laughing/joking about who they just killed or where someone they are looking for could be hiding and how they are going to "light them up" once they find them.

Some of them even wear depends so they don't have to get up to go to the bathroom - :eek: - I kid you not!

They become so obsessed they play for 2 days straight - non-stop. Not even to eat.

Its becoming a culture of very violent socialization. And yes, its how a lot of our youth are being socialized now. While chatting they talk about IRL shootings - mass shootings, the school shootings and they joke about how many the shooter took out and that "I could have gotten more" and even review the details pointing out where the shooter went wrong here or there.

IDK what the answer is here. I don't. But I have certainly seen that its a problem when it comes to these school shootings - maybe more oversight by the gaming companies to be able to spot "red flags" - I don't know. I do know it seems to glorify that being a good shooter wins you acclaim and accolades for having a high K/D ratio. And is that what we want as a society?

Please don't be offended by this if you are a gamer. I get it. They are just games like I said. Just like the guns - they are just guns - but a gun in the wrong hands.........................well, these games in the wrong hands.........

Kids today have been raised on "screens" - giving a toddler a phone to "play with" is the norm. So these kids have grown up with this and don't see the signs of where "its just a game" crosses over a line to become an "obsession that I want to carry out in real life".

Sorry for the length of this - but I do feel this really needs to be discussed when it comes to these school shootings because it has played a part - a big part.

Thoughts?

JMHO
Great post!

I share your concerns, and have had young family members seemingly addicted to gaming, some of which contained graphic violence. I have read that there is no evidence that playing these games leads to mass shootings, but that there is a causal link to increased aggression.

That said, I’m reminded of a saying I’ve seen here on WS. “Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”

JMO

Well, in case of games and social media - it is parents/guardians' duty/task to monitor the time and content.

Who was monitoring SR when he skipped school at 11/12??? (6th form)

Who was monitoring him when his father was beating him or other family member and mother dealt with drugs???

I can only imagine
aggression, fear and frustration he felt then as a kid.

And it had nothing to do with games or social media.

and now SR was a gamer.

Thoughts?

JMHO

I agree.

I played some old computer games, not anything with blood, i would play for hours.

I know of an individual that pretty much lives in their room playing games on computer, not sure which ones, but i do know that this person has a chip on their shoulder for reasons that are in their control. Never agrees with anyone about anything.

I’ll just say that I personally don’t trust this person.

Jmo

Well, in case of games and social media - it is parents/guardians' duty/task to monitor the time and content.

Who was monitoring SR when he skipped school at 11/12??? (6th form)

Who was monitoring him when his father was beating him or other family member and mother dealt with drugs???

I can only imagine
aggression, fear and frustration he felt then as a kid.

And it had nothing to do with games or social media.
I agree - and no the games have nothing to do with the dysfunction going on in the family...........

BUT - anyone that has dealt with a dysfunctional family will tell you - when the fighting starts, or the yelling or the berating - they will go in their room or somewhere to get away from it. Remove themselves from it.

And that is where these games come in. It becomes a respite - it is a place where they can go - feel comfortable, interact with "friends" who talk and joke with them - make them feel wanted, accepted - comfortable. And all the while they are shooting and killing and the carnage is what they visually take in.

I don't know what to call it - I like to call it "something in the wiring" in the brain. A would-be shooter in a dysfunctional family situation - no friends, not doing well in school, parents either absent or dealing with their own demons - and their "release" is lock yourself in the room and "game". Once they are done - they feel better maybe even "great" - they laughed, had fun, were accepted, - feel validated. Then they come back out into reality. And, sadly, nothing has changed. The euphoria quickly disappears and - like you said - the fear, aggression and frustration and anger start to set back in.

And THAT is where I think they start to plan or rationalize these future acts. Something tells them that they can get "that feeling" back in real life - if they can "act out" a gaming scenario that will give them those feelings back - "I'm happy, I have friends, I have skills that my friends admire, I'm having fun" - a life's great type of feeling. And it ties right in with their anger, aggression, frustration - and "I'll show them what I can do" type attitude - "I'm sick of all this and I can take them out" type of thinking that entwines with the "excellence in gaming" skills.

And the more they game, the more they start to rationalize their "plan", they more they can just block out the dysfunction in their lives and feel good that it will all end once they execute their plan.

Does that make any sense? Yes, by all means parents should monitor their children and these games - but, believe me, many don't. I've seen parents (young parents) that will sit and game with these graphic horrible games right in front of their toddlers. So even if parents monitor - sometimes those parents don't really see what's right in front of them.

JMHO

Last edited:
I agree - and no the games have nothing to do with the dysfunction going on in the family...........

BUT - anyone that has dealt with a dysfunctional family will tell you - when the fighting starts, or the yelling or the berating - they will go in their room or somewhere to get away from it. Remove themselves from it.

And that is where these games come in. It becomes a respite - it is a place where they can go - feel comfortable, interact with "friends" who talk and joke with them - make them feel wanted, accepted - comfortable. And all the while they are shooting and killing and the carnage is what they visually take in.

I don't know what to call it - I like to call it "something in the wiring" in the brain. A would-be shooter in a dysfunctional family situation - no friends, not doing well in school, parents either absent or dealing with their own demons - and their "release" is lock yourself in the room and "game". Once they are done - they feel better maybe even "great" - they laughed, had fun, were accepted, - feel validated. Then they come back out into reality. And, sadly, nothing has changed. The euphoria quickly disappears and - like you said - the fear, aggression and frustration and anger start to set back in.

And THAT is where I think they start to plan or rationalize these future acts. Something tells them that they can get "that feeling" back in real life - if they can "act out" a gaming scenario that will give them those feelings back - "I'm happy, I have friends, I have skills that my friends admire, I'm having fun" - a life's great type of feeling. And it ties right in with their anger, aggression, frustration - and "I'll show them what I can do" type attitude - "I'm sick of all this and I can take them out" type of thinking that entwines with the "excellence in gaming" skills.

And the more they game, the more they start to rationalize their "plan", they more they can just block out the dysfunction in their lives and feel good that it will all end once they execute their plan.

Does that make any sense? Yes, by all means parents should monitor their children and these games - but, believe me, many don't. I've seen parents (young parents) that will sit and game with these graphic horrible games right in front of their toddlers. So even if parents monitor - sometimes those parents don't really see what's right in front of them.

JMHO
People usually seek online entertainment according to their tastes and interests.

Some choose videos with sweet kittens and puppies.

Some choose violent games.

And the question is - WHY?

People usually seek online entertainment according to their tastes and interests.

Some choose videos with sweet kittens and puppies.

Some choose violent games.

And the question is - WHY?
Yep - the why

Kids - always - even back in the "ole days" - played cops & robbers, cowboys & indians, especially boys

And remember we're talking about adolescent boys - will always play something their friends say - "c'mon - it's fun!" So some are drawn into it.

And sadly with this new world society - people, in general, have become so desensitized to violence and crime that playing a violent video game is "no big deal to them" - in fact, I've had some teens say "so what? I play those games - its no big deal - at least I"m not on the street actually shooting people! The people in the games are just cartoons - drawings".

But then we are drawn back to these "shooters" that take it further. I'm telling you - its the wiring - something in the brain. I guess maybe it could be connected to mental illness. Ya think? IDK - I'm just trying to put into words what I've seen and heard with kids in the past 10 - 15 years.

JMHO

Great post!

I share your concerns, and have had young family members seemingly addicted to gaming, some of which contained graphic violence. I have read that there is no evidence that playing these games leads to mass shootings, but that there is a causal link to increased aggression.

That said, I’m reminded of a saying I’ve seen here on WS. “Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”

JMO

Some people prone to violent delusions, and psychoses should be monitored or not allowed to play violent video games.
FYI: I play video games, but I'm also grounded in reality it's just a game. I do not play 24/7 nor would I wear Depends to do so as many others do though! :)

and now SR was a gamer.

Thoughts?
I would tend to have the same gut feeling. But:
Correlation does not always equal causation.

We need a study or studies with data to know if and for whom certain kinds of online games are a problematic obsession that leads to real world violence.

Millions play video games every day without acting out (at least publicly or in a way that leads to criminal behavior/charges).

Many forms of entertainment, including music, influence thoughts and behaviors. I suspect (I have no data) that lyrics which celebrate violence toward or denigration of women lead to actual acting out. Again, the correlation-causation dilemma.

I think the lack of a wider life of positive influences is the main problem. If someone has a propensity that is compounded by a home environment that is not supportive in vital positive ways & people around them unwilling to face truths at critical points (I think of Adam Lanza & his mother), then you sometimes get extreme acting out.

I want to know what happened to SR when he was 10. Because it seems like that was the beginning to a downward slope that never had enough positive intervention to counteract it.

I don't know if we can know all the answers or have more successful interventions. But we can try. Just like officers could have pulled on that classroom door handle much sooner.

We have to TRY.
MOO

Many forms of entertainment, including music, influence thoughts and behaviors. I suspect (I have no data) that lyrics which celebrate violence toward or denigration of women lead to actual acting out. Again, the correlation-causation dilemma

I tend to agree. I'm not a gamer at all (well, I played Pong when it came out when I was in college in the 70s) but I think there has to be some predisposition or sociopathy involved for someone to go from role-playing to a real life massacre.

If anyone else here is old enough, remember that Charles Manson allegedly found inspiration for mass murder in the Beatle's song "Helter Skelter."

IMO those with a propensity for violence or those who are sociopathic find support not just in the gaming but in the chat. Here they find like-minded people who urge them on, just like Manson had all those groupies as his "family." Within these circles their antisocial and violent tendencies are applauded and they are heroes to their followers.

IMO the world would be better off if violent games were banned, as I see no good reason for them. But there are plenty of normal people who play them without causing harm, and I guess they are big moneymakers for the gaming industry, so my wish is a lost cause.

Jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back