Found Deceased FL - Grace Michelle Mancell Slane, 41, Endangered, Ocala, May 10, 2022

CluelessWonder

Former Member
Reaction score
Help Us Find Grace Michelle Mancell Slane

I sent an email to a mod last week, but I didn't get a response. So I hope it's okay to request a slight exception to the general rule about posting missing discussion threads without a media source. Let me preface this with a few points. First, I am a former journalist who still follows the professional ethics and accuracy standards that all good journalists should follow. Secondly, I have been in direct contact with the family and with police. Third, the Facebook page was created by me in an effort to help this family get results. Lastly, I did not link a news story because there is no media source available right now. And that's partly why I'm posting this right now. I need the help of the users on this site. We need awareness brought to this situation, and we need advice on how to get police more involved in finding out what happened to Grace.

Grace was reported missing on June 3. When there seemed to be no update from police, her brother went back in and filed a second report on June 9. And that was upgraded to missing endangered. Today, he called and spoke with someone from the Ocala Police Department and was told that Grace's case has not been assigned to an investigator yet. Her family is very frustrated and believes that police are not doing enough.

Now, for the part that might grab the attention of some. Grace's boyfriend is in jail on unrelated charges but was out at the time of her disappearance. And he shares a last name with the man who was sentenced to death for the murder of Jessica Lunsford.

I have spent the better part of the past week trying to help Grace's family. We now have the FB page, and I reached out to local media yesterday and today. And now our hands are tied a bit as we wait for police to show some willingness to do real investigative work by pulling her transactions and phone data and by interviewing people who may know what happened to this woman.

OCALA, FLA – A woman from Ocala was reported missing on June 3, and her family is worried because they have not heard from her or seen her on social media, the police said.

Grace Michelle Mancell Slane, who goes by “Gracie” was last contacted on May 9, according to a news release.

She was allegedly staying at the Budget Inn, located at 2901 S Pine Ave. in Ocala and has been known to use drugs, according to police.

Slane is described as having multiple tattoos, including the name “Joshua” on her chest. She also has tattoos on her shoulders and calves, officials said.

If anybody has information on Slane’s whereabouts, call OPD at 352-369-7000 or dial **TIPS.

OP thank you for caring and getting Michelle's story out there.

Reading the FB page the first thing that jumps out to me is the fact that her debit card was used in St. Augustine, Hollywood, Davie, West Palm Beach, Miami Beach and the Budget Inn. It will be interesting to see who was using it and what was purchased.

I hate that it's so long after she went missing to check various cameras that might be in those areas in fear they have already been taped over. I don't understand why the delay by LE about giving a big push to locate her.

Also what does the BF "JC" say about all this? They didn't have plans to go back to Dinwiddie, VA did they?

I live in Ocala in the winters for horses but I'm home since late April. One thing I've noticed is that there has been a massive influx of transients over the past few years. Probably a combination of the pandemic and the huge horse $$$ flowing through making for good busking/day labor. I wonder if Grace and/or the boyfriend are Ocala natives?

My biggest question at the moment is whether the bf has a history of violence against her.

I live in Ocala in the winters for horses but I'm home since late April. One thing I've noticed is that there has been a massive influx of transients over the past few years. Probably a combination of the pandemic and the huge horse $$$ flowing through making for good busking/day labor. I wonder if Grace and/or the boyfriend are Ocala natives?

My biggest question at the moment is whether the bf has a history of violence against her.
Michelle is from central Illinois and that is where her family mostly lives.

OP thank you for caring and getting Michelle's story out there.

Reading the FB page the first thing that jumps out to me is the fact that her debit card was used in St. Augustine, Hollywood, Davie, West Palm Beach, Miami Beach and the Budget Inn. It will be interesting to see who was using it and what was purchased.

I hate that it's so long after she went missing to check various cameras that might be in those areas in fear they have already been taped over. I don't understand why the delay by LE about giving a big push to locate her.

Also what does the BF "JC" say about all this? They didn't have plans to go back to Dinwiddie, VA did they?
It appears he has given conflicting stories on her whereabouts. He is jailed on charges unrelated to her disappearance.

Yes you’re absolutely right! My husband is a cop here and it’s like that in the villages as well

I can report a few updates. First, I'm happy to report that the major crimes unit of Ocala PD is now in charge of the case. Hopefully, they'll be able to track her movement in the days leading up to her disappearance.

We do have information indicating that she for sure was back in Ocala on May 15. And that seems to be the last day when any family or friends had any kind of contact with her. It's also approximately the last time she used her debit card.

After talking to some locals, it appears that Ocala has a serious problem with transient/homeless people who live in the woods and spend time at some motels, including Budget Inn and Sun Days Inn. There is a criminal element among some of the transients, and both drug abuse and human trafficking are occurring. I'm sure police are going to check into that.

The way to amplify media coverage about this is to tip reporters on the possibility that he is a Couey family member. CluelessWonder - have you hit the local TV reporters’ DMs @ Twitter? Predicting one or more will bite on this story and commence research. Homosassa is an hour from Ocala.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back