VA - Johnny Depp's defamation case against ex Amber Heard, who countersued #14

Im glad JD didn't let her off the hook. I believe she can file bankruptcy on the award for defamation but not the punitive damages. Again. I may be wrong about that too. If she is planning on writing a tell all to raise money, I dont think it will be as easy as she may think. Finding a publisher may be impossible. They know no one will buy a book of lies. Her PR team probably were the ones that put that out there. Maybe it was a ploy thinking JD would drop the judgment to shut her up. jmo.

That's frustrating, so she could essentially only end up having to pay him $350k?.

Do we think she could give her ego a rest long enough to file for bankruptcy?.

• Johnny Depp and Amber Heard failed to reach a settlement before today's deadline.
  • This finalizes the jury's verdict: Heard owes Depp over $10 million, while he owes her $2 million.
  • A spokesperson for Heard indicated she plans to appeal the verdict.
[…]

The judge overseeing the defamation trial between Johnny Depp and Amber Heard finalized the verdict in the case, sealing off any possibility that the two actors would reach a last-minute settlement.

At the hearing Friday, lawyers for the two celebrities told the judge that no settlement had been reached. Azcarate entered the jury verdict into the docket, making it official. Neither Depp nor Heard were present in the courthouse.

Following Friday's court hearing, a spokesperson for Heard issued a statement to reporters that made a reference to Republican members of Congress asking for pardons amid their attempts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election.

"As stated in yesterday's congressional hearings, you don't ask for a pardon if you are innocent," the spokesperson said. "And, you don't decline to appeal if you know you are right."

• Johnny Depp and Amber Heard failed to reach a settlement before today's deadline.
  • This finalizes the jury's verdict: Heard owes Depp over $10 million, while he owes her $2 million.
  • A spokesperson for Heard indicated she plans to appeal the verdict.
[…]

The judge overseeing the defamation trial between Johnny Depp and Amber Heard finalized the verdict in the case, sealing off any possibility that the two actors would reach a last-minute settlement.

At the hearing Friday, lawyers for the two celebrities told the judge that no settlement had been reached. Azcarate entered the jury verdict into the docket, making it official. Neither Depp nor Heard were present in the courthouse.

Following Friday's court hearing, a spokesperson for Heard issued a statement to reporters that made a reference to Republican members of Congress asking for pardons amid their attempts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election.

"As stated in yesterday's congressional hearings, you don't ask for a pardon if you are innocent," the spokesperson said. "And, you don't decline to appeal if you know you are right."
But I thought she was broke. Will she have to account for where the bond money comes from? Is she thinking ahead like IRS likes to know why you have more money than you take in. If someone gives her that kind of money doesnt she have to play taxes on it? She may be digging a bigger hole.

The Bankruptcy Code says that debts based on liability “for willful and malicious injury by the debtor to another entity or to property of another entity” are specifically excluded from the scope of the bankruptcy discharge.

The Depp v. Heard jury found that Ms. Heard had acted intentionally and with actual malice to cause harm to Mr. Depp. This means that the jury’s award of damages is likely not dischargeable in bankruptcy.

Im glad JD didn't let her off the hook. I believe she can file bankruptcy on the award for defamation but not the punitive damages. Again. I may be wrong about that too. If she is planning on writing a tell all to raise money, I dont think it will be as easy as she may think. Finding a publisher may be impossible. They know no one will buy a book of lies. Her PR team probably were the ones that put that out there. Maybe it was a ploy thinking JD would drop the judgment to shut her up. jmo.
Maybe the organization that ‘assisted’ in writing the op-ed with help with the book-writing.

I thought the debt to JD would attach as a lien on any income she has. Would that also not include any income from a book deal?

Wouldn't it be the full amount?
15 million. Now subtract the cap for virginia of 350,000.
10, 350,000
Am I close?
:0)
Yes. I didnt know what I was talking about. I was thinking when someone's arrested and they have to pay a bond then its a percentage of cash down. I guess these kind of bonds are different.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefdartz
Back