TX TX - Alan White, 55, seen leaving LA Fitness, found deceased, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020 #4

I wonder if when the battery totally drains on a vehicle, is power also lost to the GPS? Is there auxiliary power on the GPS unit that powers it independently from the car battery? That's where my mind is going.
It can no longer send the signal without battery power....same as phone. The stored data can indicate last known position. The new infotainment systems can actually store this on their hard drives on the car. No need to worry about cloud storage at the service (on-star, U-connect, etc.). The device to download that data is built by I Ver (or I var). Many LE don't yet have it but I would think in 2020-21 a department as big as Dallas would have it or know local Accident Investigators that could have accessed the Porche's. Again with the caveat that the Infotainment system was set up and initialized properly. Being a loaner not sure what the dealer might have done.

“It is a very difficult and time-consuming process unfortunately,” Geist said at the time.

In addition, White’s phone was found in the car and police were waiting on warrants from Apple to unlock the phone.

Then separate warrants were required for each application on the phone. There has been no word yet from police where they were in that process or if it revealed any clues.

Until his body was found, police were not calling the case a death, but a disappearance. Throughout the investigation, however, they have been considering all possibilities.

Now, because cause of death has not yet been determined, White’s death has still not been ruled a homicide. Because of the state of decomposition, determining cause of death may be difficult, but Geist said she hopes results would be available soon that can give detectives new clues.

While the case hasn’t been officially ruled a homicide, Crime Stoppers is offering a $5,000 reward for any information that leads to the arrest and indictment of a suspect in the case. In addition, a private fund has offered $20,000 for information on White’s disappearance and death.

While police are waiting for autopsy results, they are actively seeking information in the case and ask that anyone with information related to White’s death contact Detective Eric Barnes at 214-283-4818 or by email at eric.barnes@dallascityhall.com, referencing case 188623-2020.

Alan White’s body found - Dallas Voice
@Knox Thank You once again! You and @mlhenn are god sends...

Did you read that on the alley or specific to the house?
In the quote attached it mentions cameras in the front and back of the house and that the vehicle doesn’t show up. I was thinking of the possibility of the vehicle making it into the alley, but not necessarily in camera view behind the house. The alley appears to have several driveways, etc. that one could turn around in and avoid going directly in line sight of Alan’s home.
JMO
This was cleared by Rusty, the Niece, etc. early on. Car never made it home...no mention of any alley sighting. I would think if LE released video from the RT Gas then they'd release from a neighbor's video as last known sighting.

Just sent an open records request to the City of Dallas PD... likely they will reply back saying they have nothing to share but I might as well try.
Thanks! I was just going to ask if that had been done or if anyone has a preliminary PD report on the case. They are always heavily redacted but if you get familiar with a case via Websleuths or personal involvement you can glean a lot/fill in a lot.

I don't have my husband's passwords for his phone or computer because they are work related. I would have no idea how to get into his phone or computer if something were to happen to him. The computer guy at my husband's office would be able to get into the phone and computer if we needed to do so in a hurry.

I am assuming that Alan's phone and computer were paid for by his work. That would mean separate bills going to his business. So, it doesn't surprise me that Rusty wouldn't know his passwords and that warrants were necessary to obtain the information from them.

My phone is my own personal phone. So, my husband could easily get into mine. Same with my computers.

As far as the GPS, I think that the dealership would have had to pay a fee to activate the app and GPS option for the Porsche. Could be mistaken, but I think that it was never activated.

I have no idea why Alan was murdered. I sure hope that his family gets answers and justice.

JMO.

<modsnip>
He has a 7am call to attend at his house, was seen at the gas station around 6, either lingered in the Church's parking lot or drove through it for some reason, and had a less than 5 min drive to get home. Presumably he was planning on showering (as he left wearing his gym clothes so likely didnt shower in the facility) and eating when he got home prior to the meeting (all speculation). Rusty and Alan must have discussed that they'd both be getting home early because when Rusty arrived back at 6:15 and Alan wasn't there, he "thought it was odd", but "didn't think about it too much". When it got to 6:30, Rusty "knew something was wrong" and soon began to panic. If he was planning on meeting someone, wouldn't he have clued his husband in, or if we've thinking this was a secret encounter, gave him an excuse on why he'd be home later than usual? Whatever meeting he was theoretically planning, he'd have to wrap it up in ~10 minutes to not worry Rusty, and that's not counting driving time if the meeting was farther away from the area.
Of course, if you prescribe to the meeting theory, there are definitely encounters that can take less 10minutes, but imo that's just cutting it real tight.
So in my experience of following writers of stories and quotes, everything Rusty said was actually in my opinion everyday experience not necessarily that specific AM, and perhaps somewhat coaxed.
My assumption is, the 7 am was a conference ZOOM call, so no real need to shower, etc. And I also just feel like the conversation that morning was, "Not sure how long I'm going to work out but I do need to be back for that 7 am call." not "I am returning at 6:10 after the gym and getting gas."
My time frame has AW free for about 45 minutes until Rusty would really get nervous about 6:45 or so. JMOO

BTW I read a couple of comments about this "hanging around a parking lot (you identify as Churchs)" after the gas purchase at RaceTrack. What is the source/citation of that? I couldn't find it in my review of previous threads.

Thanks so much. You have done great and consistent thought on this case throughout. I'll make my on post soon on my theories and admittedly their are informed by my "on the ground" work here in Phoenix on

You have to have lived in home 2 of the past 5 years to get the cap gains break. So you can conceivable get tax break every 2 years flipping primary residences.

ex: you buy house A on 1/1/2015. On 1/1/2017 you rent it out for three years, and buy and move to house B to fix up. On 1/1/2020, you sell house A. Since you lived in it at least 2 of the past 5 years, any capital gain up to $250k is tax free for a single, $500k for a couple.
Some folks use the math to keep 2 homes going, switching legal residency advantageously btwn the 2, to live seasonally btwn them. Since the homes that can increase in value by at least $500k in 2-5 years usually are in very nice places with something of special value, like waterfront, ski areas, or high end resort/club communities, a very enjoyable lifestyle can be attained while simply having counter top & flooring replaced & maybe bathrooms & kitchens updated. But sometimes, nothing at all needs to be done but wait a few years while values increase. In any case, coukd Mr. White & partner's home have been nearing the end of its tax-free capital gains time limit that necessitated a quick sale? Also, as his partner had died, was he then only eligible for the $250k gain rather than their expected joint $500k cap? That may have changed the financial situation w/the house altogether depending on how much they'd sunk into renovations.

Could Mr. White's job or former job have put him in a position to know of any graft or corruption that might have threatened his life? Could he have even participated I can't help but think of all the Deutche Bank high level employees who've met with unfortunate suspicious ends these last few years. Also, could he have been lingering more than usual that morning waiting on an illicit drug handover, maybe coming from a usual source at the gym? Lots of folks in his income bracket like their occasional "entertainment" and/or performance or physique enhancing drugs and consider them to be "better living through modern chemistry".

Thanks! I was just going to ask if that had been done or if anyone has a preliminary PD report on the case. They are always heavily redacted but if you get familiar with a case via Websleuths or personal involvement you can glean a lot/fill in a lot.
I am actually going to re-send a FOI request and ask if the record is still withheld (i.e. if the case is still open).

Also, as his partner had died, was he then only eligible for the $250k gain rather than their expected joint $500k cap? That may have changed the financial situation w/the house altogether depending on how much they'd sunk into renovations.
This would be a tricky situation. In the year of the death, they are still treated as married filing jointly so the $500k exclusion applies. But the house was sold the next year but before the discovery of the body.

Unfortunately I can think of cases that have remained open for many years, so they never approve FOI requests on those. But good luck (not being sarcastic)...
lol, you're right ;) I already paid for the initial request though so now I can sort of 'continue' the conversation with Dallas PD for free.

Is it just me or does it seem like it has been an incredibly long time since there has been any information at all released to the public? I wonder if the case is still even being looked at by law enforcement???
A VERY long time. Matter of fact so long I am resorting to posting an old article from 10/21 -

Oct. 22 marked one year since the disappearance of Alan White. While police have not arrested anyone or named any suspects in his murder, Dallas police this week assured the LGBTQ community that the case is still open and still being investigated.

Dallas Police LGBT liaison Megan Thomas said this case has “definitely not moved to cold case status.” The rules for moving an investigation to cold case status aren’t hard and fast, she said, but the general guideline is that if investigators have found no leads within about a year, they would consider closing the active investigation.

Homicide cases might remain active longer, she said. And in this case, it’s less than six months since Alan White’s body was found.

After White’s body was located in a field in South Dallas, he was taken to the medical examiner’s office where toxicology tests were done and an autopsy performed. Results were not released to the public. But as a result of the autopsy, police began calling the case a homicide rather than a missing person case and, later, an unexplained death.

Thomas said there are a number of reasons police don’t reveal autopsy information. “The public is not always given all of the information,” she said. “It’s all about solving the case,” and releasing some of the information investigators have might hinder the investigation.

When asked if something from the autopsy might verify whether information someone calls in is valid, Thomas suggested that question might have come from having watched too much TV, as did the question of police choosing not to release autopsy results because those results might include information only the killer would know.

“Police are following up on every lead that comes in,” Thomas reassured, going on to describe the detectives in the Dallas Police Department as a different breed of cop. “They have a drive to get every case solved,” she said.

But this case, she agreed, is particularly frustrating.

I wonder what Dallas Police LGBT liaison Megan Thomas would define the investigation as now? I hope the drive is still alive to solve this case!

A VERY long time. Matter of fact so long I am resorting to posting an old article from 10/21 -

Oct. 22 marked one year since the disappearance of Alan White. While police have not arrested anyone or named any suspects in his murder, Dallas police this week assured the LGBTQ community that the case is still open and still being investigated.

Dallas Police LGBT liaison Megan Thomas said this case has “definitely not moved to cold case status.” The rules for moving an investigation to cold case status aren’t hard and fast, she said, but the general guideline is that if investigators have found no leads within about a year, they would consider closing the active investigation.

Homicide cases might remain active longer, she said. And in this case, it’s less than six months since Alan White’s body was found.

After White’s body was located in a field in South Dallas, he was taken to the medical examiner’s office where toxicology tests were done and an autopsy performed. Results were not released to the public. But as a result of the autopsy, police began calling the case a homicide rather than a missing person case and, later, an unexplained death.

Thomas said there are a number of reasons police don’t reveal autopsy information. “The public is not always given all of the information,” she said. “It’s all about solving the case,” and releasing some of the information investigators have might hinder the investigation.

When asked if something from the autopsy might verify whether information someone calls in is valid, Thomas suggested that question might have come from having watched too much TV, as did the question of police choosing not to release autopsy results because those results might include information only the killer would know.

“Police are following up on every lead that comes in,” Thomas reassured, going on to describe the detectives in the Dallas Police Department as a different breed of cop. “They have a drive to get every case solved,” she said.

But this case, she agreed, is particularly frustrating.

I wonder what Dallas Police LGBT liaison Megan Thomas would define the investigation as now? I hope the drive is still alive to solve this case!
Wonder how one would go about contacting Megan Thomas. Might be worth a shot to try and "light a fire" so to speak?

>>When asked if something from the autopsy might verify whether information someone calls in is valid, Thomas suggested that question might have come from having watched too much TV<<

This is a pretty perfect representation of DPD attitude toward the public. If LE feels that the public doesn't have an idea of what's important to an investigation, perhaps giving the reporter a quote about why that's a common misconception would be a better strategy than scorning the reporter.

>> Police are following up on every lead that comes in<<

If Alan White was my family member I'd appreciate it if DPD was pursuing an answer, not simply waiting for leads to come to them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back