Still Missing CA - Classic (Orson West, 3) & Cincere (Orrin West, 4) Calif. City, *parents charged* 21 Dec 2020 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
honestly, probably so. so many potty or diaper accidents in abuse cases.

these kids may have never had a chance. but i still think the foster system in kern county needs investigated.
Oh, no everybody always has a chance some are just slimmet than others. Yeah it's screwed up that a dad might get angry enough at a baby that his legs get broken and it's definitely a crime. Dad gets sentenced to mandatory anger classes, learns to manage it and theoretically this gives the kids a better chance. It sounds like he never owned up to it and stuck to his "didn't do nothing" defense which is probably why the kids got put in foster care and I don't know the whole path that took but I generally assume the judges and the case workers try to do what's best and it probably would have been best for those kids in foster care except the foster care system failed them and specifically these foster parents failed them as much as it's possible to fail a child.

There should never be dead kids. Kids need our protection. Those kids didn't get it and that makes me mad at myself for not doing more to improve a system that I know for a fact has weak spots like this. Making sure that the broken wood gets burnt is necessary but it doesn't accomplish as much as replacing it before the helpless fall through the holes.

JUN 23, 2022
The biological mother of two California brothers alleged to have been killed by their adoptive parents filed a federal lawsuit saying her sons were removed from her care unlawfully.

Ryan Dean said she tried multiple times to regain custody of Cinsere and Classic Pettus but was denied. ...

[...]

Dean took the child to the emergency room, where she was informed that both of Cinsere's legs were broken. An X-ray did not show any other injuries, according to the suit.

Dean was told at the hospital that Kern County Human Services would be taking the child and placing him with a foster family because hospital staff members believed he had been abused. The suit says no allegations of abuse were lodged against Dean when Cinsere was removed.

Classic was removed days after his birth in 2017 because the human services department said "they like to keep siblings together," the lawsuit says.

Dean said in the suit that she fought to get her children back but that she was repeatedly denied. In 2018, the boys were removed from their foster home and placed with the West family. Dean was never given an explanation for the move, according to the lawsuit.

[...]

but -- this is supposed to be about what is best for the child. A shorter time from to a permanent home is generally best for the child.

No experience with Kern County, of course!
right, and believe me im not always for reunification but i feel as if removing parental rights in a short time frame without allowing the parent time to meet all guidelines isnt conducive either. usually, the reason the kids are removed is drug related and its virtually impossible to get clean, attend all classes etc etc. i just think its hinky in this case.

right, and believe me im not always for reunification but i feel as if removing parental rights in a short time frame without allowing the parent time to meet all guidelines isnt conducive either. usually, the reason the kids are removed is drug related and its virtually impossible to get clean, attend all classes etc etc. i just think its hinky in this case.
I disagree. There was nothing hinky about this case. Both of Cinsere's legs were broken in the care of his father. The mother went on to have another child with that same man, since he claims to be the biological father of both boys. There is a lack of insight here from the biological parents. The mom stated she was required to get a drug assessment. She refused and instead got a weed card. She made her choice and as a consequence of not following the CPS guidelines, her rights were terminated.

If you are not willing to do the basic things the court has asked you to do, how can you expect to get your kids back ?

The tragedy is that the adoptive parents were murderers based on their charges.

I disagree. There was nothing hinky about this case. Both of Cinsere's legs were broken in the care of his father. The mother went on to have another child with that same man, since he claims to be the biological father of both boys. There is a lack of insight here from the biological parents. The mom stated she was required to get a drug assessment. She refused and instead got a weed card. She made her choice and as a consequence of not following the CPS guidelines, her rights were terminated.

If you are not willing to do the basic things the court has asked you to do, how can you expect to get your kids back ?

The tragedy is that the adoptive parents were murderers based on their charges.
Agree to disagree. the facts of the case that are out there yes dont look good. my disagreement is the length of time.

Agree to disagree. the facts of the case that are out there yes dont look good. my disagreement is the length of time.

I question if enough time was spent to truly determine there were no other safe and willing biological relatives who could adopt Classic and Cincere. Also they would have been traumatized and require a lot of attention, patience, and therapy. A home with 4 other children and no one following up on how C & C are doing doesn't seem like a good placement, IMO.

Last edited:
I question if 18 months was long enough to assess there were no other safe and willing biological relatives who could adopt Classic and Cincere. Also they would have been traumatized and require a lot of attention, patience, and therapy. A home with 4 other children and no one following up on how C & C are doing doesn't seem like a good placement, IMO.
I am not sure any one of us knows the exact amount of time she was given but I had guesstimated at at least 18 months. So please don't repeat that as fact, which it is not.

I am not sure any one of us knows the exact amount of time she was given but I had guesstimated at at least 18 months. So please don't repeat that as fact, which it is not.

According to policies/procedures in Kern County, which are probably substantially the same as policies/procedures everywhere else -- the birth parents failed these two boys, the system failed these boys, and the Wests massively failed these boys.

RIP, guys, we can't turn back time but sure would if given the chance!

jmho ymmv lrr

While all this background on the bio parents and the process is interesting, I am more interested in the Wests. How long were they foster parents? How many kids have they fostered before the boys? How many of the kids in the household were their bio kids and how many fosters? Were there check ups and follow ups by CPS to their home? How much money were they getting from the state for any and all foster kids? Were there ever any concerns or reports of anything out of the ordinary? What did they both do for a living? Did neither work? Pictures show a large extended family. I am sure they have been interviewed. I would love to know what the family thinks and feels.

While all this background on the bio parents and the process is interesting, I am more interested in the Wests. How long were they foster parents? How many kids have they fostered before the boys? How many of the kids in the household were their bio kids and how many fosters? Were there check ups and follow ups by CPS to their home? How much money were they getting from the state for any and all foster kids? Were there ever any concerns or reports of anything out of the ordinary? What did they both do for a living? Did neither work? Pictures show a large extended family. I am sure they have been interviewed. I would love to know what the family thinks and feels.

I can answer just a couple of your questions. We know they fostered 2 other boys and adopted them because their bio mother came forward and did a news interview and said her 2 boys were adopted by the Wests.
I don't think CPS will release any info as to how often they checked in on the kids but after they were adopted in 2019, there would be no reason to unless a complaint was made.
We can only guess how much monthly money they received after adoption because there are only ranges on the adoption website.
I don't believe the mother ever worked but the father had a security job until 2019, a family ice cream business and his own business making "beats".
The grandmother and step brother (TW) set up a website to share their feelings. The grandmother and her husband also did an interview with Good Morning America.

ETA - the links to those interviews and website are in this thread: CA - CA - Orson & Orrin West (3&4), MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINE - NO DISCUSSION

I can answer just a couple of your questions. We know they fostered 2 other boys and adopted them because their bio mother came forward and did a news interview and said her 2 boys were adopted by the Wests.
I don't think CPS will release any info as to how often they checked in on the kids but after they were adopted in 2019, there would be no reason to unless a complaint was made.
We can only guess how much monthly money they received after adoption because there are only ranges on the adoption website.
I don't believe the mother ever worked but the father had a security job until 2019, a family ice cream business and his own business making "beats".
The grandmother and step brother (TW) set up a website to share their feelings. The grandmother and her husband also did an interview with Good Morning America.

ETA - the links to those interviews and website are in this thread: CA - CA - Orson & Orrin West (3&4), MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINE - NO DISCUSSION
Ice cream business hmmm. I wonder how legit that is. MOO

JUL 15, 2022
The postponement was at the request of the attorney for Trezell and Jacqueline West. The attorney said he needed more time to go through a large amount of what is called discovery or evidence for the trial.

The postponement was made over the objection of the Wests. Timothy Hennessy, representing Trezell West, told the court the October date is the earliest he’ll be ready as he needs to review a voluminous amount of discovery.

Kern County Superior Court Judge Brian McNamara granted a readiness hearing Oct. 17 to determine if attorneys are ready for trial to begin. ...

... The defense must conduct its own investigation, and review the prosecution’s documents, Hennessy added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998