Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
The time course of the relationship is a little confusing to me. Friends say they dated in HS-- and were known for their "drama-filled" up and down relationship. But NS denied they dated then and said it was after HS that they got together. Regardless, when they were first in FL as a couple, they lived with Cassie and her family. So it might not have been the beginning of the relationship when they lived with her but it sounds like it was the beginning of actually living together. And even CL said they did argue. But when she was asked about violence, she said she never saw anything of that sort.
JMO
It is confusing bc if I’m not mistaken gabby lived in North Carolina as well

I don't know that because he didn't kill himself in WY he necessarily thought he'd get away with it. He wrote he wanted to see his family and Cassie did say he was close to her children. Also though, I'm not sure there were protestors at the L's when he left the house and went to the swamp. Looking back at news stories it looks like they started showing up Sept 16 and he was gone by then (& likely dead.)
JMO
Yeah makes sense I guess we’ll probably never know the entire truth.

He had a false sense of security, imo, because of the time between her death and when her mom reported her missing. I hope one day we know when he or his family first contacted their attorney.

Makes me so sad that her mother has to live with not reporting her missing sooner, not that it would have changed anything other than possibly finding her.
All I can think about is that their daughter was left there like she was trash it’s so sad :(

It is confusing bc if I’m not mistaken gabby lived in North Carolina as well
Yes she did briefly live on the NC coast after HS. Apparently she lived with a godmother. But it sounds like they did have a HS romance although NS said not. So I'm not sure what part of the relationship would be considered the "honeymoon phase." But so far as I can tell, they first lived together at Cassie's. Then lived in the L's condo. Then lived with the L's.

He had a false sense of security, imo, because of the time between her death and when her mom reported her missing. I hope one day we know when he or his family first contacted their attorney.

Makes me so sad that her mother has to live with not reporting her missing sooner, not that it would have changed anything other than possibly finding her.
SB has said he "officially" became involved on 9/11, but I'd be curious to know if he was contacted "unofficially" before that, as well, regarding BL/GP.

Here's my hangup. If we believe that BL killed GP on 8/27, then he really did hike/hitchhike telling stories for alibis. Why did he not follow through with that? Why not continue on with his story of having been away from her? And we know for a fact, via the FBI, that he sent false texts between GP's phone and his phone after she was dead, to try to fool LE, and maybe he used her debit cards for the same purpose. He didn't follow through on that ploy, either.

Then we have multiple confessions, which don't necessarily match one another. Why not follow through on any of those? And the story he chose to leave the world with, upon his death, was complete nonsense.

It feels to me that from the very moment he killed GP, his mind was discombobulated. He was unable to think anything through enough to go with it. He had to know that her family would start looking for her sooner rather than later. And especially if his parents were offering assistance to flee, he could have followed through with that. But he chose another way out. IMO, this was never someone who thought he was going to get away with it.

Last edited:
SB has said he "officially" became involved on 9/11, but I'd be curious to know if he was contacted "unofficially" before that, as well, regarding BL/GP.

Here's my hangup. If we believe that BL killed GP on 8/27, then he really did hike/hitchhike telling stories for alibis. Why did he not follow through with that? Why not continue on with his story of having been away from her? And we know for a fact, via the FBI, that he sent false texts between GP's phone and his phone after she was dead, to try to fool LE, and maybe he used her debit cards for the same purpose. He didn't follow through on that ploy, either.

Then we have multiple confessions, which don't necessarily match one another. Why not follow through on any of those? And the story he chose to leave the world with, upon his death, was complete nonsense.

It feels to me that from the very moment he killed GP, his mind was discombobulated. He was unable to think anything through enough to go with it. He had to know that her family would start looking for her sooner rather than later. And especially if his parents were offering assistance helping him get away, he could have followed through with that. But he chose another way out. IMO, this was never someone who thought he was going to get away with it.
From what I recall, SB was a long time friend and business contact/attorney for the family, so it wouldn't surprise me if Brian called the parents in a confusing panic on 8/28 or 8/29 and told them that something very bad had happened, that he couldn't talk about it and that he was driving home without her. Maybe based on some previous incidents or communication between he and his parents (perhaps the parents knew about the Moab DV stop), that they thought this does NOT sound good and so perhaps they did not assume that he had killed her, but rather, that he had beaten her up or something more minor along those lines and wanted to get SB involved just in case. Just MOO.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Ls knew about the incident in Moab that they would have reached out to SB then.

Of course that isn’t a fact. Like most of what is chatted about here since so little actual facts are available.

From what I recall, SB was a long time friend and business contact/attorney for the family, so it wouldn't surprise me if Brian called the parents in a confusing panic on 8/28 or 8/29 and told them that something very bad had happened, that he couldn't talk about it and that he was driving home without her. Maybe based on some previous incidents or communication between him and his parents, and perhaps the parents knew about the Moab DV stop, that they thought this does NOT sound good and so perhaps they did not assume that he had killed her, but rather, that he had beaten her up or something along those lines and wanted to get SB involved just in case. Just MOO.
Except, per police report, the Moab incident was GP's fault. But you're right, the parents still may have assumed something bad and contacted SB earlier.

In some (perhaps all) states, you can sue a person's estate if the offender is also deceased. BL had next to nothing as far as we know. Can you sue the offender's family if the offender is deceased?

Last edited:

It feels to me that from the very moment he killed GP, his mind was discombobulated. He was unable to think anything through enough to go with it. He had to know that her family would start looking for her sooner rather than later. And especially if his parents were offering assistance to flee, he could have followed through with that. But he chose another way out. IMO, this was never someone who thought he was going to get away with it.
BBM
I agree so much with this! Discombobulated is a perfect word.

I do think he went hitchiking to set up a "while I was gone someone killed her." He would come back and then call 911. If he did, he abandoned that idea. Maybe he thought he would never be believed (especially after the Moab incident).

I do think the pretense of Gabby leaving him and heading out with other people and abandoning him was the next thought process.

I mean when he got back, didn't they act like everything was normal? Going camping? Going on a bike ride, mowing the lawn etc etc...

If so...that was only going to last for so long. And with Laundries cutting off communication, that just messed everything up....

Does anyone believe that when BL left Wyoming, his plan was to spend some time with his family and then die by suicide, as his note implies?

I do not. I don't think it's a coincidence that he left for the Preserve two days after her mother made the initial police report and the very day of her mother's first public press conference.
Totally agree. He thought he was smarter than the average bear and would be believed. Poor guy, lost the love of his life -- looked for her everywhere. He probably had quite a grin (you know the kind) all the way home. Pampered and soothed by his mom.

Or why didn’t he just do it beside of her? Makes no sense you know? I think he didn’t realize how much attention it would’ve gotten until he saw the protesters

I think it was posted above that BL had left for the swamp before the protestors started arriving at his parents' home. So it sounds like he never saw the protesters.

Totally agree. He thought he was smarter than the average bear and would be believed. Poor guy, lost the love of his life -- looked for her everywhere. He probably had quite a grin (you know the kind) all the way home. Pampered and soothed by his mom.

I doubt he was grinning as he drove home, and if he had told his parents that something terrible happened, or that GP took off and he was coming home alone with the van, I am sure his mother would have tried to keep him calm, support him and make sure he got home safely. I think that is what any mother would do. There is no proof at this time that his parents acted inappropriately regarding the support they gave their son.

In some (perhaps all) states, you can sue a person's estate if the offender is also deceased. BL had next to nothing as far as we know. Can you sue the offender's family if the offender is deceased?
What a interesting question. I wanted to know the answer too, so I've been digging around.
You can sue their estate.

"The ability to sue a dead person's estate typically arises under two scenarios: When the deceased has debts to be repaid, and when the deceased's negligence caused injury or death to another party."

Can You Sue a Dead Person? - FindLaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member