TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, prized cyclist, fatally shot before race, Austin, May 2022 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Austin is considered the most liberal city in Texas, and one of the most liberal cities in the US. I think you would be hard-pressed to seat any jury there that would vote for someone to get the death penalty, in almost any case, and almost certainly not the suspect in this case. Yes, it was murder, but I think a good attorney can convince at least one or two jurors that it was a crime done in the heat of the moment, and not planned, and that she had been a victim of gaslighting. I frankly don't even believe she would get LWOP either, although I would think she will serve at least 20-30 years. JMO

Austin has long been considered the lone blue dot in the middle of a sea of Texas red when it comes to politics. And now our fair city ranks as one of the top spots for liberals to live in the country: No. 2 in the United States and No. 1 in Texas.

Here’s another case where a teenage girl killed a rival girl over jealousy:

Jealous teen killed rival in fit of passion

The jury found Lori Esker guilty of first-degree intentional homicide, and Hoover later sentenced her to life in prison in 1989 with the possibility of parole in 2004.

But recall that the warrant says she’s charged with first-degree murder, not second-degree or involuntary manslaughter.

And it’s the state of Texas which is charging her.

If KA had committed this crime in Canada or the UK or Europe or the Netherlands, she could receive 7 years and do half of that. I’ve been stunned by this many times over the years.

I’ve also been stunned by crimes in the US where a teenager commits a crime of passion and receives 40 years. One teen girl didn’t even commit the murder of her father who was clearly neglectful, her BF did. She still received LWOP.

I’ve seen many cases where a teen gets LWOP.

KA knows how US prison sentences are vastly, vastly longer than anywhere else on the globe. That’s why she’s not surrendering.

Courtney Christine Schulhoff (born December 27, 1987[1] in Washington, D.C.) is an American female prisoner who was convicted in the bludgeoning death of her father in his Altamonte Springs, Floridaapartment when she was 16 years old.[2] She was convicted of first-degree murder and was sentenced to life without the possibility of parolein September 2006.[3] In March 2017, Schulhoff was given a reduced sentence of 40 years.[4]

It is indeed the state of Texas that is charging KA, but it will ultimately be 12 jurors from Austin who decide her fate. One lone juror can block the death penalty from being imposed. Also, she is being charged with first degree murder, but by the time this has been tried and goes to a jury, I would not be at all surprised to see the presiding judge allow the jury to consider convicting on a lesser charge of second-degree murder.

Other than this murder, which by all means, seems so out of character for her, and given the fact that she certainly seems to have been gaslighted, a jury may see her, in many ways, as a victim, herself, and may tend to go lighter on her when imposing a sentence. JMO

Last edited:
It is indeed the state of Texas that is charging KA, but it will ultimately be 12 jurors from Austin who decide her fate. One lone juror can block the death penalty from being imposed. Also, she is being charged with first degree murder, but by the time this has been tried and goes to a jury, I would not be at all surprised to see the presiding judge allow the jury to consider convicting on lesser charges of second-degree murder, though I think voluntary manslaughter would likely not be allowed.

Other than this murder, which by all means, seems so out of character for her, and given the fact that she certainly seems to have been gaslighted, a jury may see her, in many ways, as a victim, herself, and may tend to go lighter on her when imposing a sentence. JMO
I understand. But in the US second degree murder still carries a life sentence. I guess I consider what she did to Moriah to be particularly heinous. I keep picturing the friend coming in and seeing her dying on the floor, bleeding from multiple gunshot wounds. It’s an image I haven’t been able to shake, and I’m sure it must haunt her parents.

I wish we would hear more from MW's family, through a representative, as this might help keep the news story out there and help in bringing justice for Mo. I am surprised that they have chosen to remain silent for all this time since their last statement.

I wish we would hear more from MW's family, through a representative, as this might help keep the news story out there and help in bringing justice for Mo. I am surprised that they have chosen to remain silent for all this time since their last statement.
I’m surprised too. They must be very private people. Also on a podcast there was someone from the Austin cycling community and he said that people are so hurt and devastated by the crime and the fact that sweet Mo died a violent death in an ambush, that they can barely speak about it even now.

I’m surprised too. They must be very private people. Also on a podcast there was someone from the Austin cycling community and he said that people are so hurt and devastated by the crime and the fact that sweet Mo died a violent death in an ambush, that they can barely speak about it even now.

I wonder if MW's parents are choosing to remain silent because of all the reporting that places MW in the triangle of KA, CS, MW and all the details and/or speculation that goes with this in MSM. Perhaps they feel they have nothing to contribute right now, and are focusing on grieving and trying to heal their family from this tragedy and will have more to say when KA is arrested.

I do think that their statements could help though, both with the hunt for KA and to balance the narrative. In many quarters, KA appears to be gaining ground on the sympathy front. Even if a family representative would get out there from time to time, I think that would help. Might also help the cycling community grieve and heal as well, give them a focus for their grief. JMO.

I wonder if MW's parents are choosing to remain silent because of all the reporting that places MW in the triangle of KA, CS, MW and all the details and/or speculation that goes with this in MSM. Perhaps they feel they have nothing to contribute right now, and are focusing on grieving and trying to heal their family from this tragedy and will have more to say when KA is arrested.

I do think that their statements could help though, both with the hunt for KA and to balance the narrative. In many quarters, KA appears to be gaining ground on the sympathy front. Even if a family representative would get out there from time to time, I think that would help. Might also help the cycling community grieve and heal as well, give them a focus for their grief. JMO.
I wish they would, yes. I do think her parents are very uncomfortable with the love triangle narrative, which is why they issued that initial statement that their daughter was not in any romantic relationship. They probably feel the whole thing makes it seem like Mo was reckless, but I view her as a complete victim.

I understand. But in the US second degree murder still carries a life sentence. I guess I consider what she did to Moriah to be particularly heinous. I keep picturing the friend coming in and seeing her dying on the floor, bleeding from multiple gunshot wounds. It’s an image I haven’t been able to shake, and I’m sure it must haunt her parents.
The crime of second degree murder in Texas is simply referred to as "murder". From the link below...

Murder in Texas is a first degree felony. This charge will typically carry a sentence of between five and 99 years in a state prison and/or a fine of no more than $10,000. At the sentencing stage of the defendant's trial, the defendant can raise the issue of having committed the crime in the "heat of passion" arising from an adequate cause. If the defendant is found to have been in the heat of passion at the time of the homicide, then the charge will be reduced to second degree felony. A second degree felony carries a sentence of between two and twenty years in a state prison and a fine of no more than $10,000.

I'm a reader and not usually a poster so I'm pretty sure I might be doing this incorrectly -- but I'm in Austin and KVUE (local station) is just reporting she was captured in Costa Rica.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/crime/kaitlin-armstrong-arrested-moriah-wilson-murder/269-48aab494-8099-411b-a42b-23e9f518f1e5__;!!KzIVK9q-m3Ij!Pt9jck9WOzAyfBkcM4CNjSaLmBivLVNBXluP7H8rjjoX_VnH4Wfh8m_I32riUwjBpIh8yJPJLYIVKldTXb4$

Last edited:
I definitely don't see them going for the death penalty and don't think she'll receive LWOP. I think her attorneys will paint her a victim of a womanizer. (I also think if she's guilty, she deserves LWOP though. My current opinion only.)
The Travis County District Attorney is not in favor of the death penalty so I don't think that is even a factor at all. Besides, she really doesn't check the boxes for a DP case anyway.

Somebody in this thread predicted Costa Rica. Kudos! So glad she is in custody!

Also impressed by all those who thought she left the U.S. I really didn't & look forward to seeing the timing & how she got away her escape....until she didn't.

#JusticeForMoriah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member