Found Alive UT - Madelyn Allen, 19, seen leaving Snow College dorm, Ephraim, 13 Dec 2021

This appears to be in relation to a charge of "tampering with a witness" dated 10/13/2017 so it would be unrelated to Madelyn. That charge is referred to in the article

So from what I can gather prosecution is using that current felony charge to keep him in custody related to the kidnapping charge until its trial date in June, the results of which they will at that time use to support harsher charges related to Madelyn. I'm not sure what he did in 2017 but he would be in a lot less trouble now if he hadn't done it (or if he'd been a little more careful while having an outstanding felony charge against him). It seems a little weird to me that the courts would just let a felony charge float around in the ether like that since 2017 - I wouldn't have even thought it would be allowed to go long enough for the pandemic to interfere with it but maybe that's how it goes in Utah, that some cases are just allowed continuance indefinitely with the implication that the accused not get into any additional legal trouble and what we're seeing now is the process that happens if they do.
BB is now scheduled for trial 6/23 - 6/24/22 under case #171100538, charged in 2017, which has a public calendar update.

MA's case number is 211600020 for future reference.

Screenshot_20220607-225851_(1).png

BB is now scheduled for trial 6/23 - 6/24/22 under case #171100538, charged in 2017, which has a public calendar update.

MA's case number is 211600020 for future reference.

View attachment 348462
UPDATE:
BB's trial dates for this month are no longer on the calendar for case #171100538

I wonder if he plead guilty or the case was dropped. Interested in any update on MA's case #211600020 as well although that will likely not be made public.

@gitana1 could you check on the status for us? TIA

MOO

UPDATE - Guilty Plea & Trial

LOA— Brent Brown, the man alleged to have kidnapped and raped a Snow College student Madelyn Allen in mid-December 2021, pleaded guilty to five first-degree and two second-degree felonies during an arraignment last Tuesday, May 3 in Loa.
Brown’s pleas were accepted by the court, and he was bound over for trial. His next appearance will be a pretrial conference hearing before Judge Marvin D. Bagley on Aug. 8.

The victim said that at the time of her abduction, she only knew Brown by his username, “Cowboy.” She said they had been interacting for about three weeks prior to the incident.

BBM above

If the article is accurate, this is great news & some justice for MA.

Unsure why there's a trial scheduled if he pled guilty. He has two cases - one for witness tampering in 2017 & one for crimes involving MA.

Loa, where the crime against MA occurred is the county seat of Wayne County & Bagley District Court judge for Wayne & several other Utah counties.

@gitana - can you clarify the guilty plea vs trial for us? TIA

OPINIONS MINE ONLY

UPDATE - Guilty Plea & Trial

LOA— Brent Brown, the man alleged to have kidnapped and raped a Snow College student Madelyn Allen in mid-December 2021, pleaded guilty to five first-degree and two second-degree felonies during an arraignment last Tuesday, May 3 in Loa.
Brown’s pleas were accepted by the court, and he was bound over for trial. His next appearance will be a pretrial conference hearing before Judge Marvin D. Bagley on Aug. 8.

The victim said that at the time of her abduction, she only knew Brown by his username, “Cowboy.” She said they had been interacting for about three weeks prior to the incident.

BBM above

If the article is accurate, this is great news & some justice for MA.

Unsure why there's a trial scheduled if he pled guilty. He has two cases - one for witness tampering in 2017 & one for crimes involving MA.

Loa, where the crime against MA occurred is the county seat of Wayne County & Bagley District Court judge for Wayne & several other Utah counties.

@gitana - can you clarify the guilty plea vs trial for us? TIA

OPINIONS MINE ONLY
PLEA CORRECTION ISSUED

A story on page 1 in this week’s Sanpete Messenger had a serious error. We said Brent Brown, who is charged with kidnapping and rape of a Snow College student in December, had pleaded “guilty” to several felonies.

Brown pleaded “not guilty.” The word “not” was accidentally dropped in the editing process. The Messenger apologizes for the error.

Emphasis mine

PLEA CORRECTION ISSUED

A story on page 1 in this week’s Sanpete Messenger had a serious error. We said Brent Brown, who is charged with kidnapping and rape of a Snow College student in December, had pleaded “guilty” to several felonies.

Brown pleaded “not guilty.” The word “not” was accidentally dropped in the editing process. The Messenger apologizes for the error.

Emphasis mine
Oh... that changes things.

I wonder if it was someone from websleuths who requested clarification and brought that error to their attention. That's a pretty big error on a pretty high profile case
I confess when I first saw the post about the newspaper issuing a correction to that article, I assumed they were correcting the fact that they spelled "aggravated" wrong in the headline. That seemed like an egregious and embarrassing error to me -- but of course the error they ACTUALLY made was SO MUCH WORSE. :eek:

When I saw the mistaken headline that BB was going to plead guilty, I was momentarily relieved. I fear that MA will be fully dragged through the mud via BB’s defense. While all citizens are entitled to a vigorous defense, I fear this will be ugly.

Case Details (from link on calendar posted above)

STATE OF UTAH
Attorneys:
OLSEN, MICHAEL
vs.
BRENT NEIL BROWN
Attorneys:
LABRUM, MICHAEL L
Case # 211600020
1:30 PM - 8/22/2022
Judge/Commissioner:
MARVIN D BAGLEY
PRETRIAL CONFERENCE
State Felony
DOB: 2/20/1982
OTH: ERIC EVANS
VRP: HEIDI NESTEL

1st Degree Felony
RAPE
12/13/2021

1st Degree Felony
OBJECT RAPE
12/13/2021

1st Degree Felony
AGGRAVATED KIDNAPPING
12/13/2021

1st Degree Felony
AGGRAVATED SEXUAL ASSAULT
12/13/2021

2nd Degree Felony
AGGRAVATED ASSAULT
12/13/2021

2nd Degree Felony
OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE
12/13/2021

OTN: 61822102
Citation: #
LEA: EPH #21120637
Prosecuting Agency: C28 #21-0030
Sheriff: #

BNB next court dates:

211600020 is MA's case
View attachment 361527
BNB next court dates:

211600020 is MA's case

Thanks for the updates! I was googling looking for updates in the news this morning to find out whatever happened to him, and NOTHING. I also find the lack of MSM updates weird because it was such a big story when it was happening. I do remember her family wanted to stay out of the public eye afterwards though.

Honestly I was going to be surprised if his legal counsel recommended to plead guilty. I think he is, but I imagine a lawyer would think there’s enough that they might be able to convince jurors to have a reasonable doubt under the law.

Do we know if the trial is going to be public record or if it is sealed?

Thanks for the updates! I was googling looking for updates in the news this morning to find out whatever happened to him, and NOTHING. I also find the lack of MSM updates weird because it was such a big story when it was happening. I do remember her family wanted to stay out of the public eye afterwards though.

Honestly I was going to be surprised if his legal counsel recommended to plead guilty. I think he is, but I imagine a lawyer would think there’s enough that they might be able to convince jurors to have a reasonable doubt under the law.

Do we know if the trial is going to be public record or if it is sealed?
For quite a while it was not possible to see the pending court actions in MA's case on the calendar, which seemed to indicate the entire matter was sealed.

If you go to the court calendar link, you can see the list of rape & other charges he is facing in this case. They are also enumerated above in another recent calendar update post I made.

What appears to be a media blackout may continue. I just checked the SanPete Messenger which has a little coverage & found nothing new. Maybe one of their reporters will cover the trial even if the larger MSM outlets do not.

I am optimistic that BB will serve time for crimes committed against MA because the list of charges indicates to me there may be solid evidence of serious crimes that cannot be mitigated by her appearing to voluntarily be picked up by him.

IANAL though. Maybe a lawyer on the thread can weigh in.

Let us hope Maddie is doing well & moving forward with her life in a positive way.

Internet luring is so common these days & there are many victims out there. Just because someone reaches an "age of consent" doesn't mean they cannot be crime victim.

Men & women who seek to victimize others in the ways MA was should pay a heavy price for their crimes. I do think she is a victim & that this perp should be held accountable in a way that can serve as a warning to other abusers.

MOO

Gitana1 is a verified attorney and since there haven't been any new facts come to light in the case I assume her opinion would remain the same as it did a few months ago, and I agree with her. Quoting her opinion to bring it forward

Yeah. It’s problematic. The supposed discussions online with this creep that were of a violent nature could also be problematic when it comes to a conviction. So could the information about her running when the cops knocked.

She’s lucky to be alive, frankly. It appears that something happened to her mentally, and she got in over her head with a sick predator. But the facts lead to a viable defense. IMO.

For quite a while it was not possible to see the pending court actions in MA's case on the calendar, which seemed to indicate the entire matter was sealed.

If you go to the court calendar link, you can see the list of rape & other charges he is facing in this case. They are also enumerated above in another recent calendar update post I made.

What appears to be a media blackout may continue. I just checked the SanPete Messenger which has a little coverage & found nothing new. Maybe one of their reporters will cover the trial even if the larger MSM outlets do not.

I am optimistic that BB will serve time for crimes committed against MA because the list of charges indicates to me there may be solid evidence of serious crimes that cannot be mitigated by her appearing to voluntarily be picked up by him.

IANAL though. Maybe a lawyer on the thread can weigh in.

Let us hope Maddie is doing well & moving forward with her life in a positive way.

Internet luring is so common these days & there are many victims out there. Just because someone reaches an "age of consent" doesn't mean they cannot be crime victim.

Men & women who seek to victimize others in the ways MA was should pay a heavy price for their crimes. I do think she is a victim & that this perp should be held accountable in a way that can serve as a warning to other abusers.

MOO

Very well said! It bothered me a great deal when some tried to say she wasn't a victim since she went with him willingly. I hope justice is served for her!

I said the same thing in the Sherri Papini threads

1st Degree Felony
RAPE
12/13/2021

1st Degree Felony
OBJECT RAPE
12/13/2021

1st Degree Felony
AGGRAVATED KIDNAPPING
12/13/2021

1st Degree Felony
AGGRAVATED SEXUAL ASSAULT
12/13/2021

2nd Degree Felony
AGGRAVATED ASSAULT
12/13/2021

2nd Degree Felony
OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE
12/13/2021

OTN: 61822102
Citation: #
LEA: EPH #21120637
Prosecuting Agency: C28 #21-0030
Sheriff: #
Bringing the charges forward from my previous post. This is an ugly kidnapping & sexual assault case which must have evidence for each charge or it would not be so close to trial.

While we have not seen the evidence, I think a reasonable person would question BB's innocence based on what we do know.

While MA may be proven to have used extremely bad judgment in interacting with him online, we don't know if she left voluntarily with him once she left the door of her dorm.

I'm willing to wait & see before casting doubt on each of the serious criminal acts BB is charged with and has been held without bail on for months.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back