TX - Moriah Wilson, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been critical in regards to the case, but I wouldn't expect her to be dealt with leniently. She might for instance take a plea to Manslaughter, which if that was done it wouldn't be out of leniency but more a matter of the prosecutor weighing the certainty of that conviction against the gamble of how the jury would take the evidence if it went to trial where that bird in the hand might be worth it.

Yes, but wouldn’t manslaughter charges be too low for someone who gunned down a defenseless girl and shot her multiple times, leaving her to bleed to death? :(

Texas Manslaughter

Chapter 19 of the Texas Penal Code defines the crime of manslaughter. Section 19.04 states that a person commits manslaughter if “he recklessly causes the death of an individual.” In order to be considered reckless, a person must be aware of the risk surrounding their conduct or the results that could occur, but consciously disregard that awareness. This crime does not require an element of premeditation, intent, or knowledge; it requires only that a person was reckless.

Texas does not differentiate between voluntary and involuntary manslaughter like most other states. However, Texas does provide a separate offense of “intoxication manslaughter” and “vehicular manslaughter” that each comes with its own set of definitions and penalties.

The Lockhart address is likely their business location--property much cheaper there and that's where MSM has mentioned their Wheelhouse business.

As far as KA stalking CS and MW, I bet MW stayed at that place during other visits to Austin. KA had been snooping her instagram, and probably made the connection, did a little white pages search, and there you go.

As she sits in her cell,I wonder if she realizes this
-thing- she did to end Mo’s existence ..is totally flipped.
The heart goes out to Mo..who now is even more known, loved by the masses.
Interesting she spent HALF her car money on her face. I just think her to be a very cold, entitled, control freak. ESP to involve (use) her sibling.

MOO

As she sits in her cell,I wonder if she realizes this -thing- she did to end Mo’s existence ..is totally flipped.
The heart goes out to Mo..who now is even more known, loved by the masses.
Interesting she spent HALF her car money on her face. I just think her to be a very cold, entitled, control freak. ESP to involve (use) her sibling.

MOO
Yes, I feel very badly for Christine as well. This has darkened her life in a serious way. Not to mention potentially opened her to legal trouble.

I’m thinking possibly that KA stalked Mo various places and through various means. She could have even put spyware on Colin’s phone where she was able to read every text without him knowing it. We know she had access to his phone because it’s been reported that she deleted Mo’s messages. Maybe KA knew exactly where Mo was staying and when because Mo told him in a text and KA was able to read it. Or simply, she could have just read directly off CS’s phone.
She coulda put an Apple tag on his motorbike.

He might not be a very sensitive person to start with.
From his point, he went to see a woman who his gf was jealous about, and lied to cover it up. He was anxious to get away with own lie. He called KA 3 times once he drove away from MO’s house. Once KA came home, CS was working at his bike; it is possible that KA went upstairs, threw clothes into the washing machine, got under the shower. CS, in the meantime, could be happy to not be asked more questions.
I’m just trying to wrap my head around how KA was able to go back home to CS and by all accounts not betray what she had just done. CS is the one that lied to her. She was probably already watching the house when she saw him texting her all those lies. He went and me MW even after KA made him delete MW contact and block her from his phone (getting this from articles and MW own text about her texts not going through to CS). Yet KA doesn’t lose it with CS. He even says she is the least violent person he knows. Which makes me think maybe he said that to cover his own *advertiser censored*. He bought the guns. He was sneaking around. Saying she isn’t violent absolves him from guilt. I know texts from all parties will come out in trial so we shall see just how KA treated CS from say October to May.

Yes, but wouldn’t manslaughter charges be too low for someone who gunned down a defenseless girl and shot her multiple times, leaving her to bleed to death? :(

Texas Manslaughter

Chapter 19 of the Texas Penal Code defines the crime of manslaughter. Section 19.04 states that a person commits manslaughter if “he recklessly causes the death of an individual.” In order to be considered reckless, a person must be aware of the risk surrounding their conduct or the results that could occur, but consciously disregard that awareness. This crime does not require an element of premeditation, intent, or knowledge; it requires only that a person was reckless.

Texas does not differentiate between voluntary and involuntary manslaughter like most other states. However, Texas does provide a separate offense of “intoxication manslaughter” and “vehicular manslaughter” that each comes with its own set of definitions and penalties.

I'm saying if such an action was taken by the prosecutor, it would be a math issue rather than a sign of leniency. Plea bargains are done for a reason where the certainty of a conviction under a plea has value for certain while a trial has risk.

I'm saying if such an action was taken by the prosecutor, it would be a math issue rather than a sign of leniency. Plea bargains are done for a reason where the certainty of a conviction under a plea has value for certain while a trial has risk.
Yes, but I think they have an extremely strong case for first-degree murder, as they did for Jodi Arias.

...I've not seen any MSM about specific action by MWaffecting her communication with either KA or CS including blocking KA calls -- just the opposite. Can you please share the link....
I've read it a few places. Here is one link, Kaitlin Armstrong: Accused Killer of Cyclist Anna Moriah Wilson
Screenshot attached where Wilson's friend says that she blocked Armstrong's number.

Here's another link that references MW blocking KA. Austin-area cyclist charged with murder of Moriah Wilson, rising cyclist star

Attachments

• 1657146026956.png
    1657146026956.png
    235.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I.can't see why that would be a defense strategy, it would mean admitting she did it. But that state of mind is not sufficient to argue insanity, since she was quite capable of driving a car, etc.

IMO, it would be like OJ testifying how desperately needy and jealous he was of Nicole Simpson.

She also couldn't argue self-defence, IMO.

I think the only defence strategy would be that it wasn't her, someone else unknown did it.

JMO
The fleeing kills any chance for negotiation IMO. This is not some going to another state to hide. This was a deliberate elaborate attempt to escape even before she was properly charged. It's not like she was being unjustly railroaded for months and didn't see any other way out.

If she didn't try to flee, you could try to insert all sorts of doubts because there is no physical evidence she pulled the trigger, but it becomes very hard in this situation.

I’m just trying to wrap my head around how KA was able to go back home to CS and by all accounts not betray what she had just done. CS is the one that lied to her. She was probably already watching the house when she saw him texting her all those lies. He went and me MW even after KA made him delete MW contact and block her from his phone (getting this from articles and MW own text about her texts not going through to CS). Yet KA doesn’t lose it with CS. He even says she is the least violent person he knows. Which makes me think maybe he said that to cover his own *advertiser censored*. He bought the guns. He was sneaking around. Saying she isn’t violent absolves him from guilt. I know texts from all parties will come out in trial so we shall see just how KA treated CS from say October to May.
Some players enjoy triangulating their primary partner with a secondary person. Could be totally nothing but the player gets off on it. Yes it will be interesting to see the texts between them.
One does think his antenna was wayyyy up when he tried her 3 times in a row. This storm didn’t just appear on a whim.. it was brewing IMO .

Why would they offer Manslaughter? Her gun, her car, and they can probably place her there with her phone. And she fled. They have enough to convict with 1st degree
I agree. No way will they let her plea to manslaughter. They have lots on her and honestly I bet we only know a sliver of what they’ve got.

Why would they offer Manslaughter? Her gun, her car, and they can probably place her there with her phone. And she fled. They have enough to convict with 1st degree

She's not the only one that was placed at the scene. In fact the one who purchased the gun and the ammo (and even called it "kill ammunition") was also placed at the scene at that time. If being there with a vehicle around the time of the murder while having access to the murder weapon means your guilty, you can see how that's problematic as that applies to more than just the person currently charged and as such could be a reason for there to be a plea.

So if I’m reading this news item correctly and the US Marhals are indeed having another press conference tomorrow on this case…I wonder if charges will be announced against another party, such as the passport holder, that may have been facilitating the unlawful flight from justice.

She's not the only one that was placed at the scene. In fact the one who purchased the gun and the ammo (and even called it "kill ammunition") was also placed at the scene at that time. If being there with a vehicle around the time of the murder while having access to the murder weapon means your guilty, you can see how that's problematic as that applies to more than just the person currently charged and as such could be a reason for there to be a plea.
Right but per the affidavit, the other person you mention is corroborated via video surveillance and cellphone records driving home from the scene after the door to the apartment unlocked.

But Austin police clearly said cctv and other footage confirmed Strickland’s account of his whereabouts after dropping MW off — thus, he was not charged, while KA was, and became a fugitive wanted for unlawful flight and first-degree murder.

So between now and her hearing on 7/20/22 at 9 am, the prosecution can still raise the bail amount, and upgrade the charges?

Kaitlin Armstrong formally charged in murder of Moriah Wilson​

I.can't see why that would be a defense strategy, it would mean admitting she did it. But that state of mind is not sufficient to argue insanity, since she was quite capable of driving a car, etc.

IMO, it would be like OJ testifying how desperately needy and jealous he was of Nicole Simpson.

She also couldn't argue self-defence, IMO.

I think the only defence strategy would be that it wasn't her, someone else unknown did it.

JMO
@ElGato , sorry if my post was unclear.

By referencing the AA, it was not my intent to imply the defense would attempt an insanity plea. To be clear, very few cases across the country are successful with this defense. However, I believe the defense will attempt to downgrade KA's charge to Felony Murder2, relying on crime of passion, after seeing CS & MW together. Whether or not they are successful is another thing.

US Marshals to host press conference to announce capture, return of murder suspect Kaitlin Armstrong in Austin

AUSTIN – The United States Marshals Service will hold a press conference Thursday afternoon to announce to capture and return of murder suspect Kaitlin Armstrong in Austin, according to a release.
8EB7C9DE-D53E-44EA-A561-080FA9E3E3D4.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member