Found Deceased UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, Lucin, Box Elder Co, May 2022 #2 *Arrest*

Oh I'm curious about his height - if the car seat was moved forward bc of a shorter person driving vs. moved forward to clean/retrieve something.
CV seems to be on the taller side based on a previous mugshot with a height chart (around 183cm or ~6ft)

Imo
Isn’t JB a portly guy? If so, he wouldn’t fit behind the wheel if the seat was moved all of the way up. I think the seat was moved forward because he was looking for/wanted to remove something.

The last ping - was it just a ping or a phone call? To whom? What about? Was Dylan fed up with Jim and wanted him booted off the land and that led to a fight that Dylan lost?

I was replying to OP's post #407.
No 7/6 JB filing or screenshot of 7/6 filing here.
I apologize! Lack of some serious sleep.

Attachments

• received_3180051858878512.jpeg
    received_3180051858878512.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 53
  • received_416223277108956.jpeg
    received_416223277108956.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 51
  • received_575567804182794.jpeg
    received_575567804182794.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 34
  • received_363278079092947.jpeg
    received_363278079092947.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 27
  • received_1202063963966277.jpeg
    received_1202063963966277.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 28
  • received_1779203002432566.jpeg
    received_1779203002432566.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 24
  • received_463981402394641.jpeg
    received_463981402394641.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 21
  • received_5087951734636279.jpeg
    received_5087951734636279.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 23
  • received_1032731450937438.jpeg
    received_1032731450937438.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 49
James Brenner is now being held in the Weber County Jail on an unrelated federal firearm charge and no criminal charges have been filed specifically for the Dylan Rounds case, officials report.

However, in court documents obtained by FOX 13 News, it explained that Brenner was squatting on a property adjacent to Dylan Rounds and was, "known to have contact with D.R.," (Dylan Rounds.)

Officials also stated that "multiple persons" have been interviewed by police and arrests have been made for unrelated crimes that have been discovered during the investigation

In an unsealed indictment from the Utah District Court, Chase Venestra has now been added to the list of suspects being questioned in the missing person case.

The new person of interest, Venestra, is a man who authorities say asked Rounds for a ride just a few days before he disappeared. Authorities say Venestra was seen bloodied and barefoot while walking along a road near Lucin when he approached Rounds for a ride.

Rounds’ mother, Candice Cooley, recalls her son mentioning Venestra to her in a phone call saying, “He said ‘Mom, you wouldn’t believe this guy who jumped out of the desert. He was bloody, didn’t have any shoes on. He wanted a ride. I didn’t give him a ride.’”

Venestra is a convicted felon and has been held in the Davis County Jail since June 4. He was indicted on unrelated firearms charges and violations.

Interesting -- this is how I see the current update:

Utah Dist Court - CV is POI.
Source: Utah Indictment

(FED) US Dist Court - UT - CV charged Felon in Possession of Weapon
resulting from 5/12/22 Search Warrant executed on his known residence (motorhome) in West Point City - homicide investigation. Three firearms from the motorhome were taken into evidence.

6/12/22 - Residence of Witness A searched. Three firearms and ammunition were located - allegedly the property of CV.

6/12/22 CV interviewed as suspect of multiple crimes (no specific mention of DR investigation in the federal docs).

We need a copy of the Utah Indictment referenced by ABC 4 News!

1657231725733.png 1657232009568.png

Oh I'm curious about his height - if the car seat was moved forward bc of a shorter person driving vs. moved forward to clean/retrieve something.
CV seems to be on the taller side based on a previous mugshot with a height chart (around 183cm or ~6ft)

Imo
I use VineLink for custody/booking details for each both state and federal arrests but they do not provide the physical stats of the inmate (Ht, Wt). YT program recently showed a screenshot of custody of JB that provided JB only about 5'2 at most.

Can OP please verify the mugshot known to OP is JAMES A. BRENNER, Age 58, December birthdate? Thank you.

JAMES A BRENNER​

Custody Record
Age58
GenderMale
RaceWhite

Ethnicity Non-Hispanic
Date of Birth Dec **, ****
ID Number274***
Custody Status Date Jun 20, 2022 07:43 PM MDT
Custody StatusIn Custody
Custody Detail Box Elder County Jail
Book Date Jun 20, 2022 07:40 PM MDT

Last edited:
I was just looking on the official FB. Apparently CV was previously 100% cleared by LE after being seen on video 200 miles away (according to info from CC)
Here is the link, details in comments - don't want to break TOS lol
Official FB

So strange imo

IMO, CV was essentially cleared from personally being involved in DR's disappearance in CC's mind for good reason.

Seems to me that CV is primarily being investigated for a homicide investigation that predates DR missing.

We know that CV was arrested by the state around 6/3 on an unrelated warrant from Montana where CV is a fugitive of justice.

According to Utah News 4 - based on an unsealed state indictment, ABC4 is reporting CV as POI for DR's case.

IMO, based on the unique population of the Montello corridor, CV may be considered a possible source for information about DR's investigation that might help LE.

Unless the UT indictment has something certain, I stand by this opinion. I doubt UT would have been so quick to hand CV over to the Feds if he was a POI for DR.

"When Dylan Rounds was not located early on in the search effort, the investigation focused on the possibility of Dylan being the victim of a crime," Chief Deputy Cade Palmer, of the Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office, said Thursday. "The current totality of information gathered from the many interviews and searches, along with the analysis of both physical evidence and forensic data, has identified James Brenner as a suspect."

After listening to Venstra’s jailhouse phone calls, detectives served another warrant on June 12 and allege that he asked an associate to retrieve and hide some of his belongings. They allegedly found a semiautomatic Stoeger 2000 shotgun, a Remington 700 rifle with an attached scope, and a Ruger 10-22.

The associate, identified in court documents as Witness A, also gave police a bulletproof vest and "multiple AR-15 style magazines," according to the affidavit. A further search of the home recovered yet another rifle, a Ruger M77 Hawkeye, allegedly concealed in a crawlspace. Authorities say Witness A told them that also belonged to Venstra.

Dated:Feb 05, 2016
Davis County authorities said things began when police spotted Chase Venstra, who was wanted on several outstanding warrants including for charges of domestic violence, assault and stalking.

Chief Bill Chilson of the Clinton Police Department says Venstra made statements indicating he wouldn't be coming out peacefully.

"He made the statement that he wouldn’t go back to jail. Under those circumstances we do what we have to do and we called out SWAT," he said.

Police say when SWAT entered the home they found guns, ammunition, and some grenades.

"He had buried himself under the insulation, and talk about being patient and not doing any heavy breathing, because the SWAT guys said you couldn’t hear a thing," Chilson said.
View attachment 353215
Police have said they searched all residential floors of the house before turning their attention upward. Even once officers entered the attic, they could not immediately see Venstra.

He was finally found under a layer of attic insulation, breathing quietly and holding very still, said Bill Chilson, Clinton Police chief.

VENSTRA, CHASE MONTGOMERY​

BOOKING DATE: Nov 19 2014​

CHARGE:
STALKING
ASSAULT
VIOLATION OF PROTECTIVE ORDER
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IN THE PRESENCE OF A CHILD
INTERFERENCE WITH ARRESTING OFFICER – UTAH
Christian Vieyra-Alvarado, 26, of Park City, entered a no contest plea to assault, a Class B misdemeanor.
Wish there was a hate/like button. Always thankful for the info.

This bizarre case is like a jumble of swirling facts and strange characters lurking about the desert.

One weird circumstance is niggling at me---- Dylan tells some relatives about a bloody, weird hitchhiker, who was seen walking near his home....who ended up being Chase V.

Was Chase V beaten up by James at that time, and was trying to get away from the area? And that's why he ended up 200 miles away rather quickly?

"The new person of interest, Venestra, is a man who authorities say asked Rounds for a ride just a few days before he disappeared. Authorities say Venestra was seen bloodied and barefoot while walking along a road near Lucin when he approached Rounds for a ride.

Rounds’ mother, Candice Cooley, recalls her son mentioning Venestra to her in a phone call saying, “He said ‘Mom, you wouldn’t believe this guy who jumped out of the desert. He was bloody, didn’t have any shoes on. He wanted a ride. I didn’t give him a ride.’”

Have there been any searches for Dylan anywhere along the route or at the place 200 miles away where Chase Venstra reportedly claimed he was when he gave his "alibi" statement to Dylan's mom & LE?

Also, how did he get there and back?
What if JB gave him a ride? If so, did they use DR’s truck and hide his body along the route? After dropping off CV, JB returned to the farm, parked, locked, and washed the truck and returned to his own trailer by the shed.
He later was asked by DR’s Gma to see if he could find him. JB never got back to her to let her know that he couldn’t locate DR.
If JB ends up being the person who disappeared DR, he had over 48 hours to hide any evidence of the crime.

Here is my little made up scenario, but based upon the facts as we know them----

Chase goes to his old abandoned camper, to retrieve some weapons he left behind. Jim says NO WAY, 'finders keepers/loser's weepers' and he proceeds to rough up Chase a little, for emphasis.

Chase has to escape , barefoot and bloodied, and he stumbles upon Dylan, and asks for a ride to town.

On the way to town, Chase tells Dylan that Jim beat him up and stole his weapons that had been left behind while he had moved to his new RV.

OK, so things are murky after this part----but Dylan may have told people about what Jim had done, which pissed Jim off.

So a day or two later, when Dylan drives to the seed barn, and is sitting there, with no vehicle, about to walk home, Jim takes his opportunity to pounce?

Afterwards, Jim and Chase realise they need to cover up the whole mess because neither of them are supposed to have weapons?

I was just looking on the official FB. Apparently CV was previously 100% cleared by LE after being seen on video 200 miles away (according to info from CC)
Here is the link, details in comments - don't want to break TOS lol
Official FB

So strange imo

What if JB gave him a ride? If so, did they use DR’s truck and hide his body along the route? After dropping off CV, JB returned to the farm, parked, locked, and washed the truck and returned to his own trailer by the shed.
He later was asked by DR’s Gma to see if he could find him. JB never got back to her to let her know that he couldn’t locate DR.
If JB ends up being the person who disappeared DR, he had over 48 hours to hide any evidence of the crime.
@OldCop, your thinking goes right along with what I was thinking. As @LeahBee mentioned, CV was previously cleared by LE. We know CV has a questionable past (and present, apparently) and runs with a pretty sketchy crowd. I'm not accusing him of harming Dylan. However, I still think the area around where he went and the route he traveled to and from should be checked. We don't know who CV was in contact with, why he traveled so far away, and how and when he got there and back. A handful of misfits, or even just one, can make a lot of progress hiding their tracks along a 200-mile route in the time it took for people to notice and respond to Dylan's disappearance. MOO

Here is my little made up scenario, but based upon the facts as we know them----

Chase goes to his old abandoned camper, to retrieve some weapons he left behind. Jim says NO WAY, 'finders keepers/loser's weepers' and he proceeds to rough up Chase a little, for emphasis.

Chase has to escape , barefoot and bloodied, and he stumbles upon Dylan, and asks for a ride to town.

On the way to town, Chase tells Dylan that Jim beat him up and stole his weapons that had been left behind while he had moved to his new RV.

OK, so things are murky after this part----but Dylan may have told people about what Jim had done, which pissed Jim off.

So a day or two later, when Dylan drives to the seed barn, and is sitting there, with no vehicle, about to walk home, Jim takes his opportunity to pounce?

Afterwards, Jim and Chase realise they need to cover up the whole mess because neither of them are supposed to have weapons?
Good thinking. So has anyone said that the trailer Jim was squatting in used to be Chase's trailer? Or is that just speculation on your part? It makes sense though.

Good thinking. So has anyone said that the trailer Jim was squatting in used to be Chase's trailer? Or is that just speculation on your part? It makes sense though.
That part is not speculation. From what I understand, that was Chase's abandoned camper, and those were Chase's old rifles.

The speculation= that he was going to his old abandoned property on the day Dylan ran into him, bloodied and barefoot.

There isn't much else around there so it makes sense that he was at his old trailer, probably to retrieve things he left behind.

And who else could have beaten him up? It makes sense that the volatile guy that is known to assault people might have assaulted him if he tried to get his things back. JMO

Last edited:
It was the Montello friend that would host DR on occasion that provided CV previously squatted in the trailer now occupied by JB.

He explained this was the reason why witness DH (who received black powder guns from JB for safekeeping) did not give authorities the Winchester rifle on the first day. DH thought he had rights to this rifle as the original owner of the Winchester (i.e., CV) owed him money. MOO

I could be wrong but wasn't this encounter with CV about 10 miles from Montello? I believe CV was run out of Lucin many years ago.

Interesting -- this is how I see the current update:

Utah Dist Court - CV is POI.
Source: Utah Indictment

(FED) US Dist Court - UT - CV charged Felon in Possession of Weapon
resulting from 5/12/22 Search Warrant executed on his known residence (motorhome) in West Point City - homicide investigation. Three firearms from the motorhome were taken into evidence.

6/12/22 - Residence of Witness A searched. Three firearms and ammunition were located - allegedly the property of CV.

6/12/22 CV interviewed as suspect of multiple crimes (no specific mention of DR investigation in the federal docs).

We need a copy of the Utah Indictment referenced by ABC 4 News!

View attachment 353252 View attachment 353253

Appending to this post to add that West Point City, UT is a farming community about 30 miles north of Salt Lake City. This was the known residence of CV on May 12 when his motor home was searched under a warrant.

1657247774647.png

2 hr 39 min (171.8 mi) via UT-30 E and I-84 E

ETA: CV is currently being held in Davis County Jail located in Farmington, UT. (Since 6/4 10:40 PM MDT) (about 25 mins from WPC).

Last edited:
I could be wrong but wasn't this encounter with CV about 10 miles from Montello? I believe CV was run out of Lucin many years ago.
It was my understanding that DR's encounter with CV was on Tower Road. It's on the Utah side, approx. 13 miles or so from Montello depending on exactly where he picked him up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back