OH - Pike Co, 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im of the opinion the Wagner's hold zero sway in public opinion or otherwise. They may intimidate some because they are slum lords but i bet most in the surrounding area have never heard of them, pre murder. I know i didnt and i grew up 5 miles or less from their farm. JMO Pike County is pretty darn big and spread out. Outside of Waverly, it is mostly rural with pockets of small villages.

I keep thinking there is no way 3 and 4 get off, then im reminded of the anthony and simpson verdicts.

I agree with you. I don't remember them (the Wag's) ever having any sway. Some on here think she (FW) was the one to turn Reader in for stealing monies, she was not.. it was one of his own employees who did. I won't post his name simply because it is not relevant to this case. Besides, that's not how I roll.

I so dislike when it has to be a unanimous verdict. I only hope that justice comes for the victims families, especially those little ones.

Take care.

Last edited:
So - anyone guessing whether we have jury selection questionnaire completion starting today or tomorrow? The court site has not been updated on the next hearing - still says 6/21/22 & no transport of GW4 on 7/11/22 - are they going to go without him today? Or start tomorrow as the transport order says?

TIA! If anyone knows! :)

So - anyone guessing whether we have jury selection questionnaire completion starting today or tomorrow? The court site has not been updated on the next hearing - still says 6/21/22 & no transport of GW4 on 7/11/22 - are they going to go without him today? Or start tomorrow as the transport order says?

TIA! If anyone knows! :)
Maybe he is not attending on the 11th and 15th, maybe the entry is wrong in the court notes or maybe they are no longer having questionaires on the 11th and 15th. I had not thought there would be another hearing for him before trial, not sure.

Maybe he is not attending on the 11th and 15th, maybe the entry is wrong in the court notes or maybe they are no longer having questionaires on the 11th and 15th. I had not thought there would be another hearing for him before trial, not sure.

No - no more hearings - but we do have jury selection. Usually the defendant is in court for those - so he will be there per transport orders.

Still nothing update in court site.

you guys are missing the point ann is trying to make. the wagners dont have to win. they just have to NOT LOSE. it doesnt matter what county her farm is in. she is one of the largest land owners/landlords in southern ohio. her tenetacles are in everything dont let that old lady act fool you. she has put the most support behind george because she has determined his case is the best shot for one of her family members to win and continue whatever cult stuff she wants in the future. remember when that fugitive and his wife were found in pike county working/living at fwf? you think that was a coincidence? no. its not. in a low income place like pike county which also has drug and violence issues like other rural areas, money talks. a hung jury is the best case outcome for the wagners dont think for a second that it cant happen.
A hung jury would mean a new trial. It won’t mean anyone gets off with nothing. What is the chance of a second hung jury?

I agree, I do not think that just knowing of them could preclude a juror but lots of times it is felt if a juror knows anyone in the case including the judge, attorneys etc, that they may not be able to be fair. It would depend on what the relationship was they had with anyone connected to the case. It can be considered implied bias.
I should have elaborated on my previous post. Along with knowing the families or anyone in the case, there are other biases that are considered, that is just one of the big ones that I think could come into play that could impact seating a jury. I am speaking in general and in Ohio they have differnt considerations.
I see your point! Let's hope FW doesn't have her hooks into too many people anymore.

A hung jury would mean a new trial. It won’t mean anyone gets off with nothing. What is the chance of a second hung jury?
I've always heard that with each trial, it becomes more difficult to get a hung jury and more likely to get a guilty verdict. Something about the defense showing their hand at trial, and the prosecution being able to shore up weaker parts of their case.

I see your point! Let's hope FW doesn't have her hooks into too many people anymore.
I feel she may have some loyal people, that have been a long time and still are but I would be surprised if she has much influence into the trial. If she did I think AW and JW would have probably held out. Although, I think JW wanted people to know he is the one that did this and is proud of it so he may have confessed regardless.

It would be interesting to know what the Prosecution and Defense are thinking their chances are to find 12 + after one week of jury questionnaires.
Each side must be able to come to some preliminary conclusion after last week.
Maybe if there is no questionnaire process today they are both taking a day to strategize.
It could be that it is obvious a jury of 12 will be difficult to seat. Or not.
To be a fly on the wall.

There were many rumors of camp creek road in this case. I wonder how many were true

Kenny lived on Left Fork Road and Left Fork Road intersects with Camp Creek Road which is the road FWF is on.

If you drive for only 3.3 miles, about 4 minutes, from FWF you will get to Left Fork Road, turn left and Chris owns land down there where Kenny lived. His young nephew lived next door and Kenny used his nephew's address to get his mail.

Wagner's could think up any number of reasons for stopping by Kenny's, get acquainted with Brownie, learn about trail cams and his trailer lock etc...

you guys are missing the point ann is trying to make. the wagners dont have to win. they just have to NOT LOSE. it doesnt matter what county her farm is in. she is one of the largest land owners/landlords in southern ohio. her tenetacles are in everything dont let that old lady act fool you. she has put the most support behind george because she has determined his case is the best shot for one of her family members to win and continue whatever cult stuff she wants in the future. remember when that fugitive and his wife were found in pike county working/living at fwf? you think that was a coincidence? no. its not. in a low income place like pike county which also has drug and violence issues like other rural areas, money talks. a hung jury is the best case outcome for the wagners dont think for a second that it cant happen.
The odds of not guilty on ALL 22 charges is too high. They could get hung on certain charges. Maybe they won't believe he participated in Count #20 INTERCEPTION OF ORAL WIRE AND ELECTRONIC INFORMATION for example.

Or maybe his signature is not on the forged custody documents and he gets off on that, Count #18 FORGERY.

Or maybe the jury gets hung on Count #19 UNAUTHORIZED USE OF PROPERTY which is similar to Count #20.

But I do not believe they will all get hung up on his Count #9 CONSPIRACY Charge or hung up on his murder charges. Angela and Jake have said he went along on the murders. The defense says he shot nobody which means they admit he was there. In other words, the defense has not come out and said he wasn't there.

An expert is going to tie him to bloody footprints from shoes that his own mother says she bought for him to wear that night of a size and style he normally wouldn't wear.

If all 12 jurors believe he went along that night then he will be convicted of murder plus the AGGRAVATED BURGLARY and UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF A DANGEROUS ORDANANCE Charges.

Just him going along on the murders will sink him for 8 murders.

Plus, helping get and modify the truck for them and the shoe print and the night scope/mask he bought and all his recorded conversations and his mother's and brother's testimony will sink him for 8 murders.

When codefendants turn against you, you are sunk. He cannot say it was the Cartel, it was a drug gang, it was a bad business deal etc..... His own mother and brother admit they, their family, are the ones who did it. They admit George was invloved and Canepa said they voted at their kitchen table over doing the murders. Even if George voted no, he was still right there in the middle of it from the beginning.

Chances of a hung jury on all the 22 charges is no chance at all. Zero chance. In my opinion.

Hung on a few, possibly, but not hung on the 8 murders. I predict LWOP.

Last edited:
Well - nothing updated in the court site - so I will go ahead & post this - I can also shorten it up a bit too! :)

Tuesday, July 12th:
*Jury Selection Questionnaire Completion (Day 1) (@ 9am ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (37). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos.) and a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) – for *George Washington Wagner IV (27/now 30) (Jakes’ bro) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (11/28/18) with 8 counts aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count of 1st degree conspiracy, 4 counts of 1st degree aggravated burglary, 1 count of 5th degree unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts of 3rd degree evidence tampering, 1 count of 5th degree forgery, 1 count of 5th degree unauthorized use of computer or telecommunications, 1 count of 4th degree interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count of 5th degree obstructing justice, & 1 count of 1st degree engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek the DP. Per Jake’s plea agreement, DP is off the table if his testimony is truthful.
Trial set to begin on 8/29/22 with general voir dire for the jury, opening statements, evidence, etc. (Trial is scheduled for 30 days).
7/11/22 changed to 7/12/22 (per transport of GW4) through 7/15/22, beginning each day at 9am - completion of jury questionnaires by summoned prospective jurors.
8/8/22 through 8/12/22 - each day beginning at 9am - individual voir dire.
8/15/22 through 8/19/22 - each day beginning at 9am - individual voir dire.
8/29/22 at 9am - beginning of trial, including general voir dire for the jury, opening statements, evidence & so forth. The jury trial is scheduled for 30 days.

Crime info & court hearings from 11/28/18 thru 6/30/22 & Jury Questionnaires (Day 1-3) 7/5 thru 7/7/22 reference post #526 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-69.623311/page-27

7/1/22: Order regarding media participation & general decorum at all proceedings including but not limited to pretrials, motion hearing, voir dire and/or trial filed.
7/6/22: Warrant for removal from Montgomery County jail on 7/12, 7/13 & 7/14/22 @ 9am. Warrant for removal from Montgomery/Scioto County jail 8/8/22 & each day thereafter thru Friday, 8/12/22. Defendant shall arrive at the Pike County court on or before 9am.Warrant for removal from Monday, 8/15/22 & each day thereafter thru Friday, 8/19/22; the defendant shall arrive at the Pike County Common Pleas Court on or before 9am. Warrant for removal from Montgomery County jail on Monday, 8/29/22 & each weekday thereafter until further notice; defendant shall arrive at the Pike County court on or before 8:30am each day.
*George Washington Wagner III (47/now 51)Pretrial hearing on 2/1/22.
*Edward Jacob “Jake” Wagner (26/now 29) – Plead guilty (4/22/21) to all charges & will testify in the trials.
*Angela Jo Wagner (48/now 51) – 9/10/21: Plead guilty to a plea deal to Counts 9 thru 22, Counts 1-8 were dismissed. Will be sentenced to 30 years in prison with no early release & has to testify against others at trial.
*Rita Jo Newcomb (65/now 69) – Last Motions hearing on 12/2/19 entered a plea of guilty. Expected to testify in the trials.
*Fredericka Carol Wagner (76/now 80) – 6/26/19 Charges were dismissed without prejudice.

Still no updates in the court site - so I shall keep posting this until someone or the court tells me different! :)

Wednesday, July 13th:
*Jury Selection Questionnaire Completion (Day 2) (@ 9am ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (37). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos.) and a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) – for *George Washington Wagner IV (27/now 30) (Jakes’ bro) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (11/28/18) with 8 counts aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count of 1st degree conspiracy, 4 counts of 1st degree aggravated burglary, 1 count of 5th degree unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts of 3rd degree evidence tampering, 1 count of 5th degree forgery, 1 count of 5th degree unauthorized use of computer or telecommunications, 1 count of 4th degree interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count of 5th degree obstructing justice, & 1 count of 1st degree engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek the DP. Per Jake’s plea agreement, DP is off the table if his testimony is truthful.
Trial set to begin on 8/29/22 with general voir dire for the jury, opening statements, evidence, etc. (Trial is scheduled for 30 days).
7/13/22
(per transport of GW4) through 7/15/22, beginning each day at 9am - completion of jury questionnaires by summoned prospective jurors.
8/8/22 through 8/12/22 - each day beginning at 9am - individual voir dire.
8/15/22 through 8/19/22 - each day beginning at 9am - individual voir dire.
8/29/22 at 9am - beginning of trial, including general voir dire for the jury, opening statements, evidence & so forth. The jury trial is scheduled for 30 days.

Crime info & court hearings from 11/28/18 thru 6/30/22 & Jury Questionnaires (Day 1-3) 7/5 thru 7/7/22 reference post #576 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-69.623311/page-29

Warrant for removal from Montgomery County jail on 7/12, 7/13 & 7/14/22 @ 9am. Warrant for removal from Montgomery/Scioto County jail 8/8/22 & each day thereafter thru Friday, 8/12/22. Defendant shall arrive at the Pike County court on or before 9am.Warrant for removal from Monday, 8/15/22 & each day thereafter thru Friday, 8/19/22; the defendant shall arrive at the Pike County Common Pleas Court on or before 9am. Warrant for removal from Montgomery County jail on Monday, 8/29/22 & each weekday thereafter until further notice; defendant shall arrive at the Pike County court on or before 8:30am each day.
7/12/22 Jury Completion of Questionnaires Day 1: No info available. Continues on 7/13/22.
*George Washington Wagner III (47/now 51)Pretrial hearing on 2/1/22.
*Edward Jacob “Jake” Wagner (26/now 29) – Plead guilty (4/22/21) to all charges & will testify in the trials.
*Angela Jo Wagner (48/now 51) – 9/10/21: Plead guilty to a plea deal to Counts 9 thru 22, Counts 1-8 were dismissed. Will be sentenced to 30 years in prison with no early release & has to testify against others at trial.
*Rita Jo Newcomb (65/now 69) – Last Motions hearing on 12/2/19 entered a plea of guilty. Expected to testify in the trials.
*Fredericka Carol Wagner (76/now 80) – 6/26/19 Charges were dismissed without prejudice.

It was a huge disappointment for me, as I thought he was sort of a hero. I do feel badly for the extreme stress this case brought into his life and I believe this case had a lot to do with it.
It was for me too Molly, but fortunately Reader was not the only LE to work the case and his guilt will not affect the case. I do agree that FW has zero hesitancy to use her influence where and when she can. However, she and the rest of the Wagoner family may have not realized how glad the community would be to see them locked up and no longer running their crime enterprise.

It was for me too Molly, but fortunately Reader was not the only LE to work the case and his guilt will not affect the case. I do agree that FW has zero hesitancy to use her influence where and when she can. However, she and the rest of the Wagoner family may have not realized how glad the community would be to see them locked up and no longer running their crime enterprise.

Speaking of FW, does anyone else think like me? That she paid for Rita's attorney? She actually had used Rita's attorney in the past according to the court record. Not just that, but maybe paid her bond also unless Rita's or her mom's house came into play.

Rita was as poor as a "church mouse" according to what was said at her preliminary hearing.

She wasn't listed as indigent in need of a court appointed attorney, she had a top I assume "expensive" private attorney and no means to pay for that.

I wonder all this because it would show FW's deeper involvement.

I think this strictly because it actually says in the Other Acts Evidence that the Wagners paid for people's (witnesses) attorneys and told people (witnesses) what to say in their testimony and not to talk to investigators. This fits Rita.

We know from court testimony that Rita was told what to say - that she signed the custody documents - this was a lie, and we see that it looks like someone paid for her to have a private attorney.

My point is that it has been coming up on here lately that Fred with her vast wealth/land holdings has held alot of sway with alot of people in "high" places in the County which I didn't believe. I don't believe she has influence anymore but if she did pay for Rita that does prove to me that she may have used her influence with people more than I thought. Influencing situations more than I thought.

In the past but not now. Not now at all. She said "no wants anything to do with me" before Jake even confessed.

George Wagner IV Other Acts Evidence | PDF
  1. https://www.scribd.com/document/572575627/George...
George Wagner IV Other Acts Evidence
Uploaded by

WCPO 9 News

Date uploaded on May 02, 2022​

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220713-230120.png
    Screenshot_20220713-230120.png
    381.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online