SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thinking here. I've believed that Alex had help, as two guns usually means two shooters (despite the fact we know he's not averse to staging crimes).

But I've also believed that if he did have help, it was with Cousin Eddie.

Fits is reporting that an indictment is imminent. If true, I can't imagine they'd just allow Eddie to walk out of jail, only to arrest him days later. Even if he struck some sort of deal, I just don't think any murder plea would be sweet enough that he wouldn't be a risk.

That would be dangerous.

So maybe Alex did to this himself after all?

Even with that logic, I can't still help but feel this is still 50/50 in that regard.
Question for those familiar with fire arms:
It was reported by Liz Farrell in Fitnews (June 6, 2022) that Paul was killed with 2 shots, “once with bird shot and again with buck shot.”

How long does it take to reload a shotgun with different ammunition?

If the bodies were found close together would it be possible for one person to shoot both of them using two different guns and reloading the shotgun?

I really hope that the DA has not 'jumped the gun' here by assuming that the Grand Jury will return a 'True Bill' for indictment for murder. I served on a Grand Jury for a year, six months as Jury foreperson. The original foreperson was receiving threats from someone about a case where a very big drug dealer was involved. Jury members
names are supposedly kept secret, but the names were compromised. He asked to be released from jury duty. The judge assigned me to take his place.
You never know what might happen from a Grand Jury and who may have gotten to some of them.
Am I the only one who thinks it’s odd that “evidence will be presented Thursday” to the grand jury, yet it’s being announced that AM is being charged with murder of his wife and son? The GJ makes the recommendation whether to charge (or not). And they haven’t heard this “evidence” yet. Weird. Maybe things are different in SC.

It was reported by Liz Farrell in Fitnews (June 6, 2022) that Paul was killed with 2 shots, “once with bird shot and again with buck shot.”

If the bodies were found close together would it be possible for one person to shoot both of them using two different guns and reloading the shotgun?

A double barrel or even an experienced shooter with a single could reload quick. Pumps or autos may or may not need an adjustment between loads but I don’t think so. Both the bird shot or “number 8” and the buck shot would do massive damage at close range.

Both types of shot can be loaded in the gun at the same time. In fact one of the Murdaugh podcasts said that was how the Murdaughs tended to load their shotguns.

Am I the only one who thinks it’s odd that “evidence will be presented Thursday” to the grand jury, yet it’s being announced that AM is being charged with murder of his wife and son? The GJ makes the recommendation whether to charge (or not). And they haven’t heard this “evidence” yet. Weird. Maybe things are different in SC.
Yes it is odd. Could this be a scare tactic to smoke out other accomplices who possibly covered up the crime? Is LE giving potential accomplices a speak now opportunity to come forward or be charged with murder as an accessory after the fact?

BBM

Yes, it seems they have an unusual criminal justice system in SC. JMO

I started following the Mallory Beech case about 2 weeks before Maggie and Paul were killed. It was one of those ‘stranger than fiction’ situations.

I’ve always had trouble believing that Alex would kill Paul. Of course, I couldn’t imagine who else would have killed Maggie & Paul and therefore AM was de facto my primary POI. Seems surreal to have him formally charged.

And I echo a few other posters - why is WS so quiet? I ran here when I saw.

Also, not sure I’d seen the NYT article linked here yet:

ETA: grammar

There are different types of shotguns. Some fire 1 round. Some are 2 rounds, but other pump & semi auto can hold 3 - 12 rounds.

The bird shot comes in different sizes, more commonly referred to a "loads". #7, 7, 6.... all the way to 00.

#8 contains about 410 tiny pellets. They spend out as they leave the barrel. Common for birds. 00 (also called double aut buck) contains 8 large pellets.

There are also several gauges shotguns are available in. 20, 16, 12, 10 are most common. The smaller the gauge the larger the shell. Counterintuitive, I know.

There are also different shell sizes, in terms of length. 3½, 3 and 2¾ are most popular.

Bottom line is all of them will do severe damage. But 00 buck shot is devastating.

You could have a #8 loaded with 00 right behind it. Many folks will do this for home defense. 2 rounds of 7 or 8, first , as they tend not to go through walls. But will seriously injure a burglar. Those followed up by 00, for any remaining threat. Nothing is a threat age getting hit with 00.

My husband calls that a "warning then a kill". He has all our shotguns loaded that way.

Anyone else think this is odd that the brother “stressed” that there were no other suspects mentioned by LE?

Wouldn’t it have been more natural to just express your shock at discovering that your brother killed his wife and child and leave it at that?
I think “mentioned” is the key word in his statement.

That is exactly my point and I wanted to point out that jurors' names can be leaked out to someone in power and could be threatened. Also, these jurors are most likely reading about all the news items and online blogs. I'm very surprised that all this info is coming out before the Grand Jury even has the case. Scratching my head on this one.

hmmm....how many family members get a personal visit by LE to "prepare" before arrest??

Attorney Alex Murdaugh expected to face charges in SC killings of wife, son

..."
Murdaugh’s brother soon confirmed to the Post and Courier that officers visited him for 30 minutes to prepare him for the criminal charges over the shocking double slaying in June last year.

He stressed that officers made no mention of suspects other than his brother, who is already behind bars facing more than 70 charges."...
Some very close relatives may be 'sweating bullets' about now.

My guess is that Maggie was intentional, Paul was collateral damage. I think that explains the two weapons.

I think AM did not know that PM was at the house that night. He shot Maggie as planned, but when PM heard the shots, he grabbed a shotgun from the house and ran down there to see what was happening.

I think AM and PM struggled, and the Father, being do much taller and heavier, got the gun away from PM. The first shot could have been during the struggle. The second, because he then couldn't let him live.

i think that is why some think they hear AM saying…”Paul, why did you have to get involved.”

Question…might AM have believed that he would then inherit Moselle back from Maggie…sell it…and get some financial relief? He wasn't directly named in the civil lawsuit, was he?

Anyway, finally justice appears to be on its way. Soon we will know much more.

hmmm....how many family members get a personal visit by LE to "prepare" before arrest??

Attorney Alex Murdaugh expected to face charges in SC killings of wife, son

..."
Murdaugh’s brother soon confirmed to the Post and Courier that officers visited him for 30 minutes to prepare him for the criminal charges over the shocking double slaying in June last year.

He stressed that officers made no mention of suspects other than his brother, who is already behind bars facing more than 70 charges."...
It's about time.

Was Cousin Eddie involved in the murders? No, otherwise he would be locked up.
I think Cousin Eddie was summoned by Alex to bat "Clean-up" at the murder scene. He might have only been tasked with disposal of the guns, or maybe more. His testimony on what his actions were and what caused those actions will put Alex away. Is SC a death penalty state?
If so Alex could bargain for LWOP by turning states evidence on others.

JMO

South Carolina has the death penalty by firing squad. If anyone deserves it, AM does. He's facing 81 charges and stole millions of dollars from clients. Now, he's being charged with killing his own son and wife. There is no way one could be more evil than AM. If he's given the Death Penalty, I don't think he should have the opp to appeal the jurors decision. Just march him outside and shoot the creep. jmhoo

#DeathByFiringSquad

May 2021
South Carolina becomes fourth state to approve firing squads

South Carolina has the death penalty by firing squad. If anyone deserves it, AM does. He's facing 81 charges and stole millions of dollars from clients. Now, he's being charged with killing his own son and wife. There is no way one could be more evil than AM. If he's given the Death Penalty, I don't think he should have the opp to appeal the jurors decision. Just march him outside and shoot the creep. jmhoo

#DeathByFiringSquad

May 2021
South Carolina becomes fourth state to approve firing squads
And who was one of the biggest proponents for death by firing squad in SC? AM’s lawyer. Poetic justice if it comes down to it. (See quote from DH in below article.)

A lot of theories speculate that AM did not know that PM was at Moselle when MM was murdered. However, it has been reported that there is video evidence from PM’s phone taken while PM was in the kennels before the murders that captures AM and MM talking. It seems to me that if PM was close enough to capture that conversation, it’s likely that AM would have seen PM at that time.

All MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member