NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I wonder about this case is how many people the FBI or police in Shelby have questioned over the years. They claim they have no suspects, but that doesn't necessarily means there's no persons of interest.

I also frequently wonder where that green car information came from and why they put so much stock in it. The description of rusty wheel wells is particularly specific for a sighting in the rainy pre-dawn hours.

I agree, the information on the car is very vague..when and where did the witness notice the car? Why did they associate Asha with the vehicle? justinkjones1993..the rust around the wheels is an interesting point.

I also frequently wonder where that green car information came from and why they put so much stock in it. The description of rusty wheel wells is particularly specific for a sighting in the rainy pre-dawn hours.

I do recall seeing on TV documentaries from several interviews with criminal psychologists that work with police, that one of the key indicators of someone lying, is if they put too much detail into an alibi or description, in being desperate to be believed.

I agree, this is one of the ones i would love to be solved. I believe it was considered runaway way to early, and dont put much faith in the witness sightings in this case. Well intentioned but false sightings happen all the time. Also was reported Asha was truly afraid of the dark. Will be a difficult solve it seems. I know this is much more of a reply than your wonderful post required. But this case and Jennifer Kesse in Orlando really bother me.

So this is not relevant to Asha, but I just thought I would share something scary/surreal that just happened.

On Sunday my 9 year old niece left her house sometime between 2 AM and 3 AM and my aunt and uncle woke up to find her gone and the front door still locked. Obviously they panicked and called the police and we were all searching the neighbourhood looking for her. My aunt was terrified someone had broken in and taken her.

Nope.

Turns out she had a dare with one of her friends and they dared her to go to their house for a sleepover in the middle of the night. She had waited until my aunt and uncle were asleep, left the house and walked 3 miles to her friend’s house (the friend waited up for her and let her in the backdoor) My niece was still hiding out there when she found out that my aunt and uncle had called police, since she was scared she would get in trouble.

I’ve only been following Asha’s case since last year and I’ve always been been convinced that a little girl wouldn't leave by herself in the middle of the night and walked alone and in the dark. But after what happened to my niece it’s just so surreal that a situation happened so close to me in real life.

So Asha went missing in the early AM hours of Monday, Feb 14...just coming off a 3 day weekend (there was no school that Friday) IMO, something was "planned out" over the course of that weekend. She was apparently at a sleep over, basketball practice, and church during that time frame. The police arrived at her home when she was reported missing with tracking dogs, who could not find a scent. Could this mean a car pulled and Asha got right in...would explain loss of a scent and not grabbing a coat.
Then there is two highway sightings...did Asha get out of the car somehow...ran to the shed for cover?? So many scenarios!!

This makes a lot more sense to me than the idea that she just left the house and went walking in the pitch black of night.

I hope this case is solved one day. It is definitely one of the strangest I've ever heard of, and so sad.

I do recall seeing on TV documentaries from several interviews with criminal psychologists that work with police, that one of the key indicators of someone lying, is if they put too much detail into an alibi or description, in being desperate to be believed.
Sometimes people will notice something that stands out. A beat up car especially if it is rusty or older might catch someones attention. If someone has a white, grey or black car I make a point of double checking that it’s the car I’m supposed to get into. I make sure it’s the right make and model or that it’s a friend behind the wheel. I have gone to the wrong car different times lol.
I notice when people lie they give to many details about things that you haven’t asked. It could be something minor like a cheating boyfriend and yeah they give you details about everything they did with a “friend”. If it’s drugs again they give you more information than you asked for and it’s overly detailed. When most people lie like that they can’t keep track. If you ask them about something they said they did they won’t remember their story. When a kid is missing people want to help or want to find their child so badly they can add details that might not be accurate. Eyewitnesses aren’t always 100% when it comes to memory. It’s hard to say what someone saw sometimes. JMO

It seems to me that she had reached her limit on the strictness that she was living under along with the total dysfunction.
She saw what some of her friends families were like and wanted that.
Their may have been an argument with a parent that night or child abuse of some sort and she lashed out being picked up by an unsuspecting
Stranger.
If the book bag was dug up, was she close by in a shallow grave .

It seems to me that she had reached her limit on the strictness that she was living under along with the total dysfunction.
She saw what some of her friends families were like and wanted that.
Their may have been an argument with a parent that night or child abuse of some sort and she lashed out being picked up by an unsuspecting
Stranger.
If the book bag was dug up, was she close by in a shallow grave .

Curious, what are you perceiving as disfunction?

I must have overlooked the detail about the photograph of the unidentified girl found at the shed. I've read some speculation that the photo was unrelated to Asha, or was some kind of stock photo, but it's a little coincidental that a photo of an elementary school-aged African-American girl was found there. If it was Asha's, why did she leave it behind? I suppose it's possible she lost it in the dark when she was getting the other stuff out of her backpack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53