Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #109

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, I ended up going to the urgent care today. I’m fine…still Covid positive, but I have developed a Covid related sinus and ear infection, so I’m on antibiotics and a steroid pack. The ear pain is unreal. I could not sleep last night and when I got up this morning, my ear was so full feeling and painful. I should have been steadily taking Mucinex and using a nasal saline to keep the mucous thin and flowing. Just thought I’d let anyone else know that the virus can cause ear and sinus infections too. If you are feeling stuffy and can’t breathe through your nose ask your doctor if you can take a decongestant. The doctor recommended Mucinex or Sudafed. Hope everyone else is getting better. When I was out today going to the urgent care - I noticed hardly anyone is wearing masks. I learned the hard way…gotta keep wearing my mask everywhere I go.
I'm sorry to hear about your sinus and ear infections. Hopefully, the steroids will calm down your ear pain.

Just got my 2nd booster at Rite Aid- no waiting- there was only one other person getting the vaccine. I was talking to the nurse (or pharmacist) who gave me the shot and told her I was going to wait until the fall for the newer vaccine- she said lots of people are telling her that--- My PCP recommended I don't wait any longer- it's been 8 months since my first booster---- so I decided to just get it

Just got my 2nd booster at Rite Aid- no waiting- there was only one other person getting the vaccine. I was talking to the nurse (or pharmacist) who gave me the shot and told her I was going to wait until the fall for the newer vaccine- she said lots of people are telling her that--- My PCP recommended I don't wait any longer- it's been 8 months since my first booster---- so I decided to just get it
Just read that side effects can be worse with the booster- hmmmm--can't figure that one out

Who is eligible? I really have not done any research because I had no plans on getting the vaccine. Nor do I really have time or the capacity in my brain to do the research because at this moment in my life I am suffering with severe PTSD and I am in intensive trauma therapy which wipes me out.

Did you have Covid at some point?

My doctor told me that we have about a five month immunity. After we have Covid but with all of the reinfections and even the new infections of the BA.5 strain I’m not so sure that’s the (new) truth.
If you feel comfortable answering a couple of questions, this is a super quick link regarding boosters.

This is a common side effect--I had it too. And had fatigue the next day.

I had no side effects after my first shot. After my second shot, I had mild flu like symptoms, and after my booster I can’t even remember if I had side effects…I might have had fatigue.

My mom had a reaction to her first dose (Pfizer) 24 hours after receiving it and ended up having to go to the hospital. She had no side effects/reaction to her second dose or booster (Moderna).

In Maine, Covid is the third leading cause of death

Not just in Maine:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm

Leading Causes of Death​

Data are for the U.S.
Number of deaths for leading causes of death
  • Heart disease: 696,962
  • Cancer: 602,350
  • COVID-19: 350,831
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 200,955
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 160,264
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 152,657
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 134,242
  • Diabetes: 102,188
  • Influenza and pneumonia: 53,544
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 52,547
Source: Mortality in the United States, 2020, data table for figure 4

And was the #3 leading cause of death in 2021 as well:
Coronavirus Disease 2019

Lots of talk here right now, because we are surging. Encouragement for people to resume their mask wearing.

Apparently, BA.5 has an R value of 18.6. (Measles has an R value of 18.)

The original covid strain had an R value of 3.3

Source: Ch7 morning news

This article says that it may be the most infectious virus known to man.

Lots of talk here right now, because we are surging. Encouragement for people to resume their mask wearing.

Apparently, BA.5 has an R value of 18.6. (Measles has an R value of 18.)

The original covid strain had an R value of 3.3

Source: Ch7 morning news

This article says that it may be the most infectious virus known to man.

I had read that somewhere else but wasn't sure it was correct.

Quote from end of the article:

New studies suggest that BA.4 and BA.5 have a growth advantage over BA.2 similar to the growth advantage BA.2 had over BA.1. Thus, the latest dominant COVID subvariants have a reproductive rate of around 18.6, tying or surpassing measles, the world's most infectious viral disease, according to Esterman.

The next dominant COVID strain should surpass them all. BA.2.75, an ultra-new Omicron subvariant nicknamed "Centaurus" by some on Twitter, made headlines this week after the World Health Organization said it was tracking it. It's already on the heels of dominant BA.5 in India, with "apparent rapid growth and wide geographical spread," according to Tom Peacock, a virologist at the Department of Infectious Diseases at Imperial College in London.

Its reproductive rate is yet unknown.

This is an interesting new article, at least to me (older adult ;)). See last sentence (BBM) in red font. Very encouraging news!

Neutralizing antibody activity against 21 SARS-CoV-2 variants in older adults vaccinated with BNT162b2​

Nature Microbiology (2022)

Abstract​

SARS-CoV-2 variants may threaten the effectiveness of vaccines and antivirals to mitigate serious COVID-19 disease. This is of most concern in clinically vulnerable groups such as older adults. We analysed 72 sera samples from 37 individuals, aged 70–89 years, vaccinated with two doses of BNT162b2 (Pfizer–BioNTech) 3 weeks apart, for neutralizing antibody responses to wildtype SARS-CoV-2. Between 3 and 20 weeks after the second vaccine dose, neutralizing antibody titres fell 4.9-fold to a median titre of 21.3 (neutralization dose 80%), with 21.6% of individuals having no detectable neutralizing antibodies at the later time point. Next, we examined neutralization of 21 distinct SARS-CoV-2 variant spike proteins with these sera, and confirmed substantial antigenic escape, especially for the Omicron (B.1.1.529, BA.1/BA.2), Beta (B.1.351), Delta (B.1.617.2), Theta (P.3), C.1.2 and B.1.638 spike variants. By combining pseudotype neutralization with specific receptor-binding domain (RBD) enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays, we showed that changes to position 484 in the spike RBD were mainly responsible for SARS-CoV-2 neutralizing antibody escape. Nineteen sera from the same individuals boosted with a third dose of BNT162b2 contained higher neutralizing antibody titres, providing cross-protection against Omicron BA.1 and BA.2. Despite SARS-CoV-2 immunity waning over time in older adults, booster vaccines can elicit broad neutralizing antibodies against a large number of SARS-CoV-2 variants in this clinically vulnerable cohort.

Oops, forgot link:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-022-01163-3

Thanks for responding--- I know there are side effects but it is worth it --
After 8 months between vaccines I was feeling very vulnerable!!!
I hope you're doing alright following your second booster. DH and I plan to go on Tuesday afternoon. Our calendars will be clear for the rest of the week in case either of us has side effects. I was alright except for a sore arm, neck, and shoulder, but DH had a low-grade fever and extreme fatigue for 48 hours after our first boosters.

I hope you're doing alright following your second booster. DH and I plan to go on Tuesday afternoon. Our calendars will be clear for the rest of the week in case either of us has side effects. I was alright except for a sore arm, neck, and shoulder, but DH had a low-grade fever and extreme fatigue for 48 hours after our first boosters.

It has been two days since I had the Booster- so far no really negative side effects. I do have tinnitus and I thought for a while the tinnitus may have gotten worse, but it is hard to say, since I have it most all of the time anyway. Today the arm soreness is much improved. With my last booster I really felt lousy: I had pretty bad upper back and neck discomfort that lasted for a few days. I feel psychologically much better having had this booster- I really considered waiting for the "new and improved" booster due out sometime this fall, but my PCP convinced me to get the 2nd booster now- I hope you and hubby have minimal, if any side effects. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard