SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my speculation on the timing / order of the murders, based on my analysis of the photos and what’s been reported, especially:
+ PM was discovered partially inside the kennel
+ PM captured AM + MM speaking prior to the murders
+ MM left her car running and was planning to follow AM to the hospital

I suspect that Paul was tending to a dog on the far side of the kennels (area furthest from the foreground of photo A below), as its the only place I think that PM would have been even remotely concealed given how open the kennels appear.

MM parked her car somewhere along the driveway that begins in the bottom right corner of photo B and extends to the building with the red roof. I think that MM knew that PM was at Moselle, and at the kennels, which is why she went there upon arrival. I believe that PM arrived first, then MM. Maybe / likely they interacted before AM arrived.

So, at the start of the altercation, PM is close / inside the far end of the kennels (facing away from the driveway) and MM tells AM she’s at the kennels and watches him approach. MM and AM begin to talk, and something causes PM to pay attention. Perhaps MM and AM begin to argue, or I think it is even possible that MM asked PM to listen in on her conversation with AM, given she ‘felt it was fishy’ that AM asked her to meet at Moselle. This is when the recorded conversation takes place.

I suspect that AM has the shotgun, and has brought it for the purpose of killing MM. He doesn’t pass PM, as he arrives from the house-side, and doesn’t know PM is there - and he’s focused on MM.

AM gets aggressive with MM, or brandishes his gun, and PM yells or otherwise makes his presence known. AM shoots his son, still semi-in the the kennel with the shotgun he had planned to use on MM. MM is momentarily frozen, shocked. This gives AM the time it takes to grab the rifle (hanging up somewhere in the kennels?) and then shoot MM and she begins to run away.

I might be way off - but this is one of the only configurations I can think of that fit the setting and the facts we know.

Photo A: Kennels
FACAB611-6CC4-43F7-95F9-F7EF9EF38F48.jpeg
(Photo link: PICTURED: Dog kennels where Alex Murdaugh's wife and son were killed)

I suspect that PM recorded from the far side, and AM and MM were in the foreground area. I think MM was killed near the foreground, and PM towards the back.

Photo B: Moselle Aerial
ABBA0491-32C2-4982-BC7D-C0824789B0AD.jpeg
(Photo from same link as above)

I don’t think that the red dot above is accurate to where the bodies were found, as the kennels are clearly (per photo C) almost adjacent to the building with the red roof, to the right of the red roof in this photo.

Photo C: Kennels from above (red roof building and driveway shown in the bottom right corner of photo B)
BDA84DAB-6080-4DF4-AC5B-6A5BECA83FB9.jpeg
(Photo link: Investigators release timeline of events in Murdaugh murder case)

This photo is similarly oriented to photo A. I suspect MM was found near the white van

I've been stewing over the whole gun scenario. PM was shot with a shotgun. Was it a 12 guage? I can't remember. I do recall the MM was shot with a rifle (probably an AR15 with 300 blackout bullets). I think the key to what happened lies in how these two guns are used. MOO.

I have shot shotguns and I have shot an AR15 once (got in trouble with my bro for waking the baby).

Shotguns, especially 12 guage are liked for self protection. Point and shoot at a target close and you can't miss unless you have no experience in shooting a shotgun perhaps. But even then you may not kill the target but you'll most certainly hit it.

Rifles are a different animal. They use bullets of different caliber. Y'all probably know this but just in case you don't I'm telling you what little I know. The AR15 I shot was probably armed with a bullet for long range because of the "crack". At my brothers you could always tell who was shooting a long range powerful rifle because it broke the sound barrier. It sounds totally different than a subsonic gun. It'll rattle the glass in old windows.

MM was shot with a closer range bullet (highly accurate at about half the range of the long range bullets). So up to 200 to 300 yards. If IIRC the kennels were 500 yards from the house. If MM parked at the house and walked to the kennel (car left running for a quick getaway if Alex was acting scary) by the time AM saw her she would be in lethal range. At dusk. He probably had a strap for the rifle (when I shoot I use it to brace and steady the gun to aim as well as carry it hands free). If he had it over his back she probably couldn't see it until it was too late. AND he may have had the shotgun with him as well.

The infamous "Paul why did you have to get involved." which I thought I heard sounded so anguished I didn't think AM killed him but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the anguish was because he felt he had to if he had stayed out of grown folks business he wouldn't have killed him. Maybe there was a struggle between all of them, an altercation, and PM tried to protect his momma. AM has the shot gun and BAM shoots him in the chest. MM turns to run and Alex pulls the rifle from over his shoulder and BAM gets her before she gets very far away. Then (I hate saying this) he finishes the job.

Maybe he had both guns so he was properly armed for up close, or from more of a distance. The rifle with a supressor to keep it quiet. AM was an experienced hunter. He most likely knew how to lay in wait for his prey. But I would hope even he would hesitate to shoot his wife without even talking to her. Maybe he thought he could reason with her. Who knows.

What puzzles me is where they state the bodies were several feet apart. But maybe if MM "froze" as has been suggested it gave AM plenty of time to aim and fire as she turned away to flee. I think it would be easier to kill your wife shooting her in the back first rather than looking her in the face. That is why it is cowardice to shoot someone in the back. Hunters learn how to quickly sight and fire so they don't miss an opportunity to kill their prey (as in animals). It is motor memory.

All of this is pure conjecture on my part. My opinion and mine only. I have always tried to abide by the TOS so please forgive me if I haven't.

I welcome any corrections or thoughts or other scenarios. I also think it is likely PM became violent, he was known for that.
ALL MY OPINION PURE CONJECTURE
I defer to hubby on all things gun related but when I asked him, he said we own both a shotgun and an AR 15. (I love that we part he threw in since I didn't know about them but then again, I have no idea what guns he buys. I don't ask and he don't tell. I see a charge coming through from a gun shop and I ignore it. 52 years of marriage for you lol.)

He said the shotgun is 12 gauge and completely black, stock, barrel and everything else and he said he has a black strap on it so it can be worn over his shoulder, behind his back. Ditto for the AR 15, all black, strap and worn over his shoulder behind his back. I don't know if black is the standard color or he prefers that color because he is retired LE.

So do you think it would be possible that AM had a gun on each shoulder and hidden behind his back, given that he is a very large man, 6'3 275lbs? (I think the booking said that, someone correct me if I am wrong). If he was wearing a black T-shirt the straps would blend in right?

Given TOD was 9 pm to 9:30 pm it was pretty much dark. (have you seen those thick evergreens in the pictures at Moselle? They are close to the road and pictures of the kennels shows it was situated in the tree line with huge trees around and limbs hanging out over it making for a very dark place.) There is another entrance that leads directly to the kennel area. We don't know yet if MM parked at the house or at the kennel area. Depending on lighting if she pulled up at the kennel area and AM was walking toward her, in your opinion do you think she would have seen the guns slung over each shoulder assuming they were both black with black straps like hubby's?

Am I on course or not?

I personally think he lured her out there to talk her into dropping the forensic audit of their personal finances, given that his house of dirty dealings would have come tumbling down after that audit report came out. When she said no he pulled the shotgun. I really do think the shotgun was meant for her and he had no idea PM was there in the kennel. But I think MM did because I think she asked PM to meet her there for protection from AM.

JMO

Given TOD was 9 pm to 9:30 pm it was pretty much dark. (have you seen those thick evergreens in the pictures at Moselle? They are close to the road and pictures of the kennels shows it was situated in the tree line with huge trees around and limbs hanging out over it making for a very dark place.)

RSBM.

Paul and Maggie were killed June 7th. It would have been civil twilight (bright sky, no sun) until about 9pm and nautical twilight (dimmer sky, not dark yet) until about 9:30.

RSBM & BBM

Wow! Is this new information? The fact that MM left her car running upon arrival can lead one to infer that whatever happened to MM happened very quickly, as she was not expecting to stay long. Couple that with PM’s video containing MM’s and AM’s conversation in the background that has been reported on previously, and you have to wonder if that video contains other, more horrible things. All MOO.
Such as the reason why LE stated she froze before running.
Could it all be on tape? Very likely.

I defer to hubby on all things gun related but when I asked him, he said we own both a shotgun and an AR 15. (I love that we part he threw in since I didn't know about them but then again, I have no idea what guns he buys. I don't ask and he don't tell. I see a charge coming through from a gun shop and I ignore it. 52 years of marriage for you lol.)

He said the shotgun is 12 gauge and completely black, stock, barrel and everything else and he said he has a black strap on it so it can be worn over his shoulder, behind his back. Ditto for the AR 15, all black, strap and worn over his shoulder behind his back. I don't know if black is the standard color or he prefers that color because he is retired LE.

So do you think it would be possible that AM had a gun on each shoulder and hidden behind his back, given that he is a very large man, 6'3 275lbs? (I think the booking said that, someone correct me if I am wrong). If he was wearing a black T-shirt the straps would blend in right?

Given TOD was 9 pm to 9:30 pm it was pretty much dark. (have you seen those thick evergreens in the pictures at Moselle? They are close to the road and pictures of the kennels shows it was situated in the tree line with huge trees around and limbs hanging out over it making for a very dark place.) There is another entrance that leads directly to the kennel area. We don't know yet if MM parked at the house or at the kennel area. Depending on lighting if she pulled up at the kennel area and AM was walking toward her, in your opinion do you think she would have seen the guns slung over each shoulder assuming they were both black with black straps like hubby's?

Am I on course or not?

I personally think he lured her out there to talk her into dropping the forensic audit of their personal finances, given that his house of dirty dealings would have come tumbling down after that audit report came out. When she said no he pulled the shotgun. I really do think the shotgun was meant for her and he had no idea PM was there in the kennel. But I think MM did because I think she asked PM to meet her there for protection from AM.

JMO
Agreed. That's why her son's phone recorded them arguing when he was video taping the dog.

If only she'd listened to her gut and went straight to the hospital, so sad </3

"Maggie Murdaugh, 52, declined her husband's request before reluctantly agreeing to meet him at their 1,770-acre estate in the small town of Islandton

While en route to the home, Maggie sent a text to a friend alleging Murdaugh's behavior was 'fishy' and that he was 'up to something,' a law enforcement source told People Magazine on Friday.

She initially rejected going to the property, suggesting she meet them at the hospital where Randolph was receiving treatment instead.

Maggie was somehow convinced to meet at the property, where she then planned to follow Murdaugh to the hospital in her own vehicle.

People reported that Maggie was shot shortly after she arrived at the property, alleging she left her car running as she walked over to the kennels where Paul had been standing."

People reported that Maggie was shot shortly after she arrived at the property, alleging she left her car running as she walked over to the kennels where Paul had been standing."
If she and Paul arrived at Moselle around 7:00 PM and were murdered shortly after their arrival, why did the coroner estimate TOD between 9:00-9:30 PM?

"Murdaugh’s brother soon confirmed to the Post and Courier that officers visited him for 30 minutes to prepare him for the criminal charges over the shocking double slaying in June last year.

He stressed that officers made no mention of suspects other than his brother..."
"However, agents did not let on to what evidence it had when briefing the family Tuesday, John Marvin Murdaugh told The Post and Courier.

“The entire family has been consistent that regardless of what goes on, we want the truth,” the sibling said Tuesday."

That's probably the first time they've ever heard the truth in their lifetimes.

Every time I listen to that 911 call I flinch at the irritation in MM's voice and those loud irritated sighs at 1:36 and 2:41 like she (MM) was being extremely inconvenienced by her housekeepers fall and having to call 911 for her. Also the fact that she didn't even bother to look to see where GS was bleeding from (she said she didn't know initially and a male voice can be heard in the background assumedly IMO telling her where the bleeding was). Also the fact that she hadn't talked to her ("not really, no" she said), making it seem she hadn't even bothered to try.

Actually, not trying to victim bash here but on that 911 call MM sounded like she had partied until 6 AM only to be woken 3 hours later to attend to some bothersome, minor housekeeping detail.

For goodness sake the woman worked for her for 27 years and she didn't even know her age?

Maybe I am way off here but the very low to non existent level of concern I hear in MM's voice for an injured woman who she knew for 27 years is amazing.

That 911 call is hard for me to listen to. Hubby had more concern and panic in his voice when he called the vet after slamming the storm door on one of the dog's feet.

This is just my opinion only. Others may hear it differently or draw different conclusions from the tone of MM's voice and her words.

JMO

Where can I find that 911 call? I missed it, was it posted up thread?

<modsnip>

Also, I recall that GS had been in an auto accident shortly before her “fall” at the house. I don’t know where this info got buried, but it was reported. On the day of her fall, she was there to pick up a paycheck.
My thoughts go to someone in the household covering up an attempted murder and subsequent insurance fraud. https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/05/18...etails-revealed-in-gloria-satterfields-death/

Also buried in the early WS pages is that AM represented and stole $$$ from a family whose son’s ventilator oxygen was turned off while in the hospital. I do not recall the outcome of the settlement, just speculation about another mysterious death that occurred. https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/01/07...plegic-deaf-man-in-2011-scheme-attorney-says/

Last edited by a moderator:
A heads up . . .

"The Murdaugh Mysteries" will be on 48 Hours on your local CBS TV station tonight, July 16, 2022,
at 9 p.m. CDT/10 p.m. EDT.

Subject per 48 Hours:

The deaths of a mother and son, a young woman's fatal boating crash and 2 other mysterious deaths
all connect to the family of disgraced attorney Alex Murdaugh. (2021)

It is a repeat from 2021. I did not see this segment of 48 Hours. Perhaps some other folks did not see it either and this
is why I am posting this here.

Last edited:
Early on, didn't LE say that PM had been the intended victim, and MM had been in the wrong place at the wrong time? Given they must have been reasonably sure that AM was their murderer from the start, I wonder why ?
AM had so much given to him in life, it's incomprehensible that this is how he played it.

Last edited:
There are 7 small brick steps up to the porch. At the bottom is earth & gravel. IMO there’s no way a fall down these steps, which are not steep, would crush her skull.View attachment 354351
Oy. Craziness to think that 'possible'. Should have been alarm bells way back then that perhaps would have ceased the further chain of events from occuring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member