Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that they do. I think that they hid Brian's whereabouts from both the Petitos and law enforcement.

They certainly didn’t turn him over but according to my understanding of US law, they broke no laws.

I feel differently and his journal is an example of BL’s relationship with truth and if he wasn’t prepared to provide a truthful suicide note, I wouldn’t expect him to reveal the truth to his parents.

If he had told his parents the truth, there was ample time to get him out of the country before her body was found.

What's the goal of mediation? A financial settlement? This isn't like a civil trial for a defective product. It isn't about "defeat", nor gloating. The Petitos lost a child due to the actions of the Laundries son, and they want a trial to force answers regarding his and his parents accountability.
I do not see any mediation taking place in the future. Their lawsuit states Laundries knew their son killed Gabby and did not do anything about it.

This complaint was filed on the grounds of “intentional infliction of emotional distress.” So the civil claim for intentional infliction of emotional distress is actually accountability about GP's death. So I totally agree with you.

I've always gotten the feeling that the Laundries might have *suspected* Gabby was dead, but I doubt Brian came right out and confessed. The happy camping photos do not show parents who think their son killed anyone.

After it became obvious that Gabby was missing, I'm guessing that the Laundries started questioning Brian, and he might have given them cause to be suspicious, but I still doubt he would confess that sort of thing to his parents. After all, he was trying make it sound like a mercy killing even before he shot himself.

JMOO, but I would be willing to bet his parents didn't know and that they were trying to give him the benefit of the doubt--like any parents would.

I only see them as more victims of Brian'.

Per the Order filed June 30th

Lest we forget:

*Gabby's last communication with her Mother was on Aug 27, 2021.
*BL murdered GP on Aug 27th.
*Brian began texting texting between his phone and Gabby's pretending she was alive.
[Those texts and time stamps will be very interesting.]
* Brian continues to send texts from Gabby's phone until August 30th, pretending to be Gabby, telling her mother there was no service in Yosemite Park.
* Aug. 28th Laundries spoke with an attorney and they send that attorney a ret28th er several days later.
[Landline phone records, cell texts etc...will be quite interesting to read].

They certainly didn’t turn him over but according to my understanding of US law, they broke no laws.

I feel differently and his journal is an example of BL’s relationship with truth and if he wasn’t prepared to provide a truthful suicide note, I wouldn’t expect him to reveal the truth to his parents.

If he had told his parents the truth, there was ample time to get him out of the country before her body was found.
They didn't need to get him out of the country. His/their goal of keeping him hidden from law enforcement was successful for almost two months after he killed her until they found his body.

They didn't need to get him out of the country. His/their goal of keeping him hidden from law enforcement was successful for almost two months after he killed her until they found his body.
But the P's Complaint says the L's were trying to help BL leave the country. They've made that legal claim. If, as they claim, that was indeed the goal, why didn't BL leave the country in early Sept?

Even if I thought the L's were guilty of trying to hide BL (I don't), when was he actually "hidden?" When he parked the van in the L's driveway? That was hardly hidden. When the family went on that 2-day highly-criticized vacation to a public campground 75 miles away on Sept 6-7? I believe BL was in the background of photos taken by other vacationers. Not exactly hidden. When BL refused to speak to LE when they came to the house on the 11th? He wasn't hidden, it was known he was in the house, a house that so far as I know was still BL's legal residence. (I doubt G&B had moved to NY in June as the NPPD claimed.) But BL refused to speak with LE on the advice of counsel. After BL chose to go hike in the swamp on the 13th? The L's didn't sneak him out of the house. He walked out (in daylight), got in the Mustang, and drove away. When LE thought RL was BL when the L's retrieved the Mustang a few days later? I know eyewitness testimony is often inaccurate but I'm not sure how one can mistake a 52-year old woman for a 23-year old man with facial hair. The mistake was made but I doubt the L's intentionally created that mistake. When the L's told LE BL was in the swamp and he was? In the swamp where he died, perhaps dying as early as Sept 13th? If the L's knew he was dead, why continue to hide him? And if they didn't know he was dead early on (I'm sure at some point they must have strongly suspected he was dead when he didn't return as did many of us), that's a pretty big thing not to know. How could they have been actively involved in hiding him and miss that they were hiding only a dead body?
JMO

I never even try to pretend I know anything about legal matters, but when I look at this, it reads to me that anything that occurred involving the Ps claims were carried out by the "third party" or "non-party," who I presume is BL. Is that correct?

And I'm curious about the Eighth Defense. I do not think this includes the loss of their daughter, per say, but likely encompasses the time frame when she was missing. I'm not sure how they were supposed to mitigate those damages, though. Hmm...

Can anyone break this down in more plain talk?

Interesting how Brian and his parents just went about their normal life like nothing was wrong, like nothing happened to Gabby. All playing Happy Family.

And why??......

Going on bike rides, mowing the lawn, and even going on a camping trip... How nice for Brian... They all went about their business pretending like nothing ever happened.

Isn't that exactly what Brian did right after he murdered Gabby. Sending texts pretending that she was alive. Sending texts between her phone and his. Sending texts to her mother...

My own opinion is the apple doesn't fall far from the tree... They went about their business pretending like nothing ever happened...moo

Interesting how Brian and his parents just went about their normal life like nothing was wrong, like nothing happened to Gabby. All playing Happy Family.

And why??......

Going on bike rides, mowing the lawn, and even going on a camping trip... How nice for Brian... They all went about their business pretending like nothing ever happened.

Isn't that exactly what Brian did right after he murdered Gabby. Sending texts pretending that she was alive. Sending texts between her phone and his. Sending texts to her mother...

My own opinion is the apple doesn't fall far from the tree... They went about their business pretending like nothing ever happened...moo

I see it differently. I think the bike ride provided some relief from being cooped up in the house, and a natural thing to do regardless of the circumstances. Also, this family appears to be into physical fitness, hiking, walking, etc. Regarding the mowing of the lawn by Mr.L, I don't see this as odd. Even people grieving from a family loss will often wash the kitchen floor or mow the lawn, it can give a sense of normalcy and also is a chore that needs to be done. And the camping trip was planned before BL ever returned home, as far as I recall from earlier in the discussions and MSM reporting. The L's changed the date at some point, but they were planning a Labor Day camping trip before BL showed up, IIRC.

I don't see any of these activities/actions as insensitive to the Ps or inappropriate. JMO.

And why??......

Hi Warwick7. And why the date change of when Brian left the home? And retainer date? Etc. Agreed.

I see it differently. I think the bike ride provided some relief from being cooped up in the house, and a natural thing to do regardless of the circumstances. Also, this family appears to be into physical fitness, hiking, walking, etc. Regarding the mowing of the lawn by Mr.L, I don't see this as odd. Even people grieving from a family loss will often wash the kitchen floor or mow the lawn, it can give a sense of normalcy and also is a chore that needs to be done. And the camping trip was planned before BL ever returned home, as far as I recall from earlier in the discussions and MSM reporting. The L's changed the date at some point, but they were planning a Labor Day camping trip before BL showed up, IIRC.

I don't see any of these activities/actions as insensitive to the Ps or inappropriate. JMO.
I beg to differ...
;0)

Thank you for your well thought out and objective post that illustrates how the facts point towards the Laundrie's acting normaly during that part of the timeline. JMO.

I hope you are never put in a situation where you would feel the need to apologize for something you had no control over.

I know that there are claims that the lawsuit is about finding out exactly when Gabby died and other details. I do not understand how that would make her parents pain any less. JMO.
IMO, the only reason for the lawsuit is to punish BLs parents, because BL himself is beyond punishment. Quite unfair. MOO.

IMO, the only reason for the lawsuit is to punish BLs parents, because BL himself is beyond punishment. Quite unfair. MOO

I agree that is the goal but there is so much going Gabby’s family’s minds right now that not everything they do will seem logical.

I’ve deleted a comment three times because I don’t want anyone to believe that Gabby’s family should shoulder any blame but there is horrible guilt associated with having a child murdered. Parents naturally assume that they have always protected their children from harm and they often interpret the death of a child as being a failure to protect them. Which is rationally not true.

The family is crushed and will lash out any way they feel eases their pain for some time yet. The stages of grief are real and there is no appropriate time frame to pass through them.

I think this is probably the most likely scenario. I sincerely doubt the L's did anything to intentionally harm the P's. JMOO

I don't see anything they did as being inappropriate, but we'll have to wait and see what a judge/jury says.

IMO, the only reason for the lawsuit is to punish BLs parents, because BL himself is beyond punishment. Quite unfair. MOO.

Really good point.

The only real culprit here is Brian, and he's dead.

The L's are victims, just as the P's are.

I'm sorry to see it come to this, and it will be good when this phase passes and both sets of parents can try to heal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member