SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget the momentary ruling by the coroner that it was a shooting death.......
I HAD forgotten that.

IMO, I could see manufacturing a story of SS hit by a passing truck as more feasible and potentially valuable to personality types who might commoditize people and events for insurance-settlement-worth. Then, just need to locate some poor ignorant and politically weak person who might feasibly have been driving a truck in that area that night owned by a company with deep pockets insurance-wise.

I vaguely remember reports that an individual called authorities or was urged to call authorities about rumors he'd heard about his stepson being involved in an accident that night. I do not remember hearing what he was supposedly driving.

I also vaguely remember reports that a member of PMPED and also of the Murdaugh family called SS's mother offering legal services if she wanted to sue. In her grief and wisdom in keeping her distance from the kind of folk who pounce on such situations for personal gain, SS's mother refused.

But what would a manufactured story of a shooting gain for those who commoditize people and events for insurance-settlement-worth? At best, such a fabricated story would only serve to point the finger away from others who might otherwise be suspected (such as individuals acquainted with SS who didn't trust him to keep the nature of their acquaintance quiet). Valuable, but not pocket-lining valuable.

I suppose a reasonable person familiar with the facts revealed in this story to date might speculate that the manufacturing of the story was occurring over time, with the profit-making potential driving the imagination of the authors and those who serve them.

The extent of corrupted power known in this story so far is sickening. Truly handshake with the devil kind of evil, preying on the good who enter their orbit.

Last edited:
If MM accompanied AM to the hospital to speak with her FIL wouldn't hospital personnel have seen her and LE would note this on any timeline???
BBM
LE would note this on any timeline???

IDK but I don't think LE or the prosecutor are going to tip their hand to anyone by releasing evidence to the public. Keep in mind prosecutor Duffie Stone (AM and RM III's big friend) pulled out and ran for the hills within a few days of the murders. There was a reason he ran as fast as he could away from anything at all to do with it. So I think SLED had a lot of evidence from day 1 and they told Stone. Not circumstantial either. Physical and forensic.

We don't know until SLED reveals what evidence they have but we can speculate.

JMO

It was reported PM ate supper with his uncle at 6 pm, then headed out to Moselle. Is it possible that AM killed them AFTER he and MM visited his father at the hospital?

I do not believe that AM's opioid addiction was hidden from those who knew him best like his wife, sons, parents and siblings.

Apparently or the way I read that PEOPLE article AM called MM and told her she needed to see his father because his dad was dying. She didn't dispute that she needed to see AM's dad, she just tried to control the place she would see AM, (she requested a public place). I am wondering if RM III, AM's dad made a specific request to talk to MM before he died?

I wonder if RM III, the dad, requested her, along with AM's presence at what amounted to his deathbed to tell her conditions of his will had been changed and that she was to be given power of attorney over any inheritance he left to AM. In other words RM III knew of AM's addiction and put her in charge of any money and other inheritance he was left to prevent him from squandering it on drugs. He would have wanted to tell her that in front of AM to make sure AM knew he was not getting access to any money unless MM approved of it.

Remember she requested a financial audit of their finances and assets. Dad RM III would not have been allowed to remain ignorant of that fact since it was reported early on that MM alone owned Moselle and a share of PMPED. He may have made a deal with her to give her complete control of AM's inheritance in exchange for not pursuing the audit. I truly think most of the money in the marriage belonged to MM, given to her by her parents or inherited from GP's or other relatives. She basically owned everything they had. The deed to Moselle was changed into her name only in 2015 and I believe she bought out AM's share in the property at that time. I think she also bought out AM's share in PMPED at that time or earlier, as AM needed money for his addiction or whatever he was doing with the money. When she refused to give him more of her money he turned to bilking clients and insurance companies. She must have been absolutely shocked at that bounced check.

In fact I think her asking for that audit is what triggered PMPED to start looking into any money dealings AM had over the years. RM III would not have been ignorant of that fact either as he still had another son RM IV working in the law firm. I believe he would have most certainly have asked his DIL MM why she was demanding such an audit. I think she told him about the bounced check and maybe the RUMORED affair but most certainly she would have told him she planned to get a divorce and wanted to know what was left of her (their) money and assets.

I think at that time and at the urging of AM's siblings and perhaps AM's son's, RM III moved to protect the interests of BM and PM by changing his will and putting MM in charge of any money or assets AM, BM and PM got from his estate.

It all makes sense given what we know about AM's dirty dealings that his first financial victim would have been his wife and her money.

If this is indeed what transpired in that last visit MM had with her dying FIL it would have infuriated AM to no end.

I think he lured her back out to Moselle under the guise of talking about it and planned to kill her, not knowing PM was still at Moselle. Or she returned to pick up PM. It also gives truth to his statement he had been to visit his dad at the hospital which was easily to check.

This is all PURE SPECULATION on my part and my opinion based on what I know of estate planning and the facts made public about this case.

JMO
I think she triggered LOTS of questions and then panic when she put that audit in motion.

He may have been an engineer but he was also a retired executive of DuPont. It was stated he received other job offers including from Ford but took the one at Dupont with his father's blessing even though his father was a Ford man.

After almost 50 years of looking at people's income through W-2's, stocks and investments and doing estate planning I can tell you companies like DuPont pay their key employees very well, in addition to offering them stock options and bonuses based on profit sharing. For instance many companies during the deep recession in the late 70's and early 80's gave employees stock in lieu of wages. (In fact I know of one person who took half their wages in company stock during that time which were worth absolutely nothing and later received over 7 million in a company buyback of the company's stock.) For instance 10,000.00 of Walmart stock options given to an employee 30 years ago would be worth billions now.

And their retirement bonuses are insane, in the many millions.

Plus we have no idea of the wealth of MM's mother's side of the family or of MM's GP's.

It's possible her parents were very well off.

JMO
Where did you read that he was a ‘retired executive?’ I am also familar with the tiered structure of large engineering departments, their pay grades and benefit programs. Many large companies have many, many engineers. Many never move upward. They are not considered “executives.”

I would be interested in where you obtained this information or are you just speaking generally?

Yes, he received other offers coming out of college, but did he receive any during the life of his career?

Is there documentation that this was a ’wealthy’ family? Or is part of the reason MM stayed, because she supposedly “married up?” I will admit to being very curious about Maggie. She was smart. There was so much going on around her…both son and husband. Was there pressure on her to stay because of the lifestyle?

Some details here…but Id sincerely like to read what more you have found.

Last edited:
I have no idea where the dogs were or if they caused GAS to fall.

As reported from links in my prior posts, MM and PM were talking to 911 dispatch from inside the house. And even though the dispatcher requested MM go outside to where the victim was located on the ground, she did not do so.

When PM took over the phone call to 911 from MM, he explained the distance from the road entrance to the house, and in the 6:32 minute 911 call I listen to, the call was terminated before EMT ever approached.

Seemed to me not during or after the call was a siren event audible. Neither MM nor PM ever mentioned they could hear the ambulance.

(Dispatcher also requested they call her back if they learned more info from the victim such as previous stroke, etc.). MOO

ETA: add link

It should be noted that Maggie was likely inside the house on a land line. She handed the house phone to Paul so she could go attend to Gloria outside. I know people who have been at Moselle and cell service is very spotty. JMO

From 48 Hours which aired Saturday, July 16,2022:

Stephen Smith death: What happened to the S.C. teen?​

Days after the June 2021 murders of Maggie and Paul Murdaugh, investigators say they found information that led them to open a new investigation in an unsolved 2015 case: the mysterious death of 19-year-old Stephen Smith.

Where did you read that he was a ‘retired executive?’ I am also familar with the tiered structure of large engineering departments, their pay grades and benefit programs. Many large companies have many, many engineers. Many never move upward. They are not considered “executives.”

I would be interested in where you obtained this information or are you just speaking generally?

Yes, he received other offers coming out of college, but did he receive any during the life of his career?

Is there documentation that this was a ’wealthy’ family? Or is part of the reason MM stayed, because she supposedly “married up?” I will admit to being very curious about Maggie. She was smart. There was so much going on around her…both son and husband. Was there pressure on her to stay because of the lifestyle?

Some details here…but Id sincerely like to read what more you have found.

I cannot seem to send you a PM. Sorry. Maybe you can send me one.

48 Hours usually posts their full episodes of what was on TV on Saturday night.

As of Sunday, 12:05 a.m. CDT, they have not posted the full episode of the Murdaugh case which was on TV on Saturday, 7/16/22. Maybe in a few hours they will post it. When they do, I will post it so if someone is interested in seeing it, they can.

MOO - Could it be, because a cause of death by murder would negate the settlement the sons received from the homeowner's insurance policy?? From the get-go, it seems that Bland has intentionally shied away from placing any blame on anyone for GS death. Is the finding of an accidental death more advantageous for his clients? Just wondering out loud...
Great thinking. That definitely makes sense!

Just caught up on the podcasts particularly the jailhouse phone calls between AM and various others. AM makes my skin crawl the way he manipulates JMM, BM and even SIL LM. It's all about him!!!! He's a legend in his own mind. The canteen, his workouts and "when I get out of here" and "I'll pay you back" A true textbook narcissist!! Oh and "make sure (MM's parents and sister) know I put flowers on the graves" Syrupy sweet in some and mean as a snake in others! Also, his micro managing of BM. Not to mention BM's privileged life while all of this is going on. These people lived in another world. I don't want to speak ill of the dead but even MM and her disregard of the woman who waited on them hand and foot. UNREAL !!!

Years ago, I served on the Board of a local cultural institution. The chair of that Board was a very prominent man in that city. One day, his place of business was raided by the FBI and he too went to jail for long standing criminal activity.

I knew his wife…attractive, smart. Maggie makes me think of her. At some point do these women just choose denial to protect their way of life? Maggie made a post on her FB the year before she died, praising AM to the hilt.

‘Happy Happy Father’s Day to the best who everybody loves
❤️
Thank you for all u do for our family. You work so hard for your family and our kids r so lucky! Dad,Coach,Teacher and best friend.

The entitled, manipulative, repulsive man we hear on the prison tapes did not just emerge since the murders.

Someone will write a book one day and maybe we will understand more.

Alex Murdaugh is too much of a coward to kill himself or he would have done it already, which is actually a good thing for us (society). Alive, he can be squeezed and squeezed until every screwed up party to every screwed up corrupt deal from every generation of his family comes to light.

It would be great if this caused a repeal of that messed up law in Chesterfield county that allows people from the other side of the country who have never set foot there to sue corporations that have no connection to the county beyond it being part of their market. That's the original sin right there that allowed this dynastic crap to happen in the first place, with great great great grandpa Murdaugh suing the railroads.
"dynastic crap".... love your accurate phrasing !

Years ago, I served on the Board of a local cultural institution. The chair of that Board was a very prominent man in that city. One day, his place of business was raided by the FBI and he too went to jail for long standing criminal activity.

I knew his wife…attractive, smart. Maggie makes me think of her. At some point do these women just choose denial to protect their way of life? Maggie made a post on her FB the year before she died, praising AM to the hilt.

‘Happy Happy Father’s Day to the best who everybody loves
❤️
Thank you for all u do for our family. You work so hard for your family and our kids r so lucky! Dad,Coach,Teacher and best friend.

The entitled, manipulative, repulsive man we hear on the prison tapes did not just emerge since the murders.

Someone will write a book one day and maybe we will understand more.
I think MM may have gotten caught up in the local environment of generational wealth perhaps like other families in the area. Imagine the influence from the matriarch and females of AM's family where you learn to go along to get along. Keeping up with the Jones. If they traveled in a certain circle it may have been hard to keep up. Men like AM view themselves in a certain way and their family has to measure up too.

My husband and I are from humble Midwest beginnings and now comfortably retired. I am of an age where I have lived as a corporate wife and have seen childhood friends do the same. You meet couples who present themselves one way only to find out their lives were nothing like you thought. Not to the extent of fraud or murder but habits and attitudes that surprise you...if you understand what I mean. All just MOO.

"dynastic crap".... love your accurate phrasing !
When I first read that Paul had been killed (they were on my radar from Mallory Beach) my very first somewhat shameful thought was that someone from one of the families had gotten some southern justice. It didn't even occur to me until I came on the forums that someone in their right mind (not a "family annihilator") might cold bloodedly kill their wife and son but now with the charges finally laid I can feel free to say that by the end of that first day I believed there was a decent chance this was how it would turn out and it's the dynastic thinking.

To Alex, especially with his dad on his death bed, the family name was everything. He probably saw Paul's unmanageably antisocial "affluena" as a real threat to the survival of the family and it seems that he blamed Maggie for coddling him and enabling that behavior. If Maggie had indeed retained her own counsel to analyze the family's finances then I expect that would be plenty of motive for someone like Alex to eliminate them, as a threat to the family.

Probably the most surprising part of the whole thing is that it was through an obviously violent crime. Usually wives like that are lost on Safari like that dentist's wife or vanish at sea. Maybe Paul's overconfidence in being above the law came from Alex after all and combined with the impending death of his dad pushed Alex to act rashly.

The two different weapons still lead me to think the murders were chaotic though and that perhaps Paul wasn't an intended victim. The scenario in my mind for a while now, assuming Alex acted alone (it could simply be Cousin Eddie had one gun and Alex had another) is that Paul heard Maggie being shot and confronted his dad with the shotgun. "Put down the gun, Son" "No, you can't get away with this!" "I'm putting down the rifle okay? We can talk about this" "We have to call the police!" "Okay fine just give me the shotgun..." How horrible.

When I first read that Paul had been killed (they were on my radar from Mallory Beach) my very first somewhat shameful thought was that someone from one of the families had gotten some southern justice. It didn't even occur to me until I came on the forums that someone in their right mind (not a "family annihilator") might cold bloodedly kill their wife and son but now with the charges finally laid I can feel free to say that by the end of that first day I believed there was a decent chance this was how it would turn out and it's the dynastic thinking.

To Alex, especially with his dad on his death bed, the family name was everything. He probably saw Paul's unmanageably antisocial "affluena" as a real threat to the survival of the family and it seems that he blamed Maggie for coddling him and enabling that behavior. If Maggie had indeed retained her own counsel to analyze the family's finances then I expect that would be plenty of motive for someone like Alex to eliminate them, as a threat to the family.

Probably the most surprising part of the whole thing is that it was through an obviously violent crime. Usually wives like that are lost on Safari like that dentist's wife or vanish at sea. Maybe Paul's overconfidence in being above the law came from Alex after all and combined with the impending death of his dad pushed Alex to act rashly.

The two different weapons still lead me to think the murders were chaotic though and that perhaps Paul wasn't an intended victim. The scenario in my mind for a while now, assuming Alex acted alone (it could simply be Cousin Eddie had one gun and Alex had another) is that Paul heard Maggie being shot and confronted his dad with the shotgun. "Put down the gun, Son" "No, you can't get away with this!" "I'm putting down the rifle okay? We can talk about this" "We have to call the police!" "Okay fine just give me the shotgun..." How horrible.

I think MM was killed mostly because she wanted a divorce and that was going to expose all of AM’s financial problems and all his schemes. I don’t think AM cared at all about his wife’s permissive parenting because he was the same way.
Something I read a few months back indicated that through the generations Murdaugh wives knew that divorce was not an option. The men did whatever they wanted, the wives smiled and said nothing; their reward was a rich and pampered and privileged lifestyle.
AM’s thievery and schemes were sinking the family and MM found out and had had enough. He was also going to be exposed by the boat crash lawsuit but I think that night AM’s target was his wife and PM got in the way.
Just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member