SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK. Does anyone know if jails allow you to keep civilian clothes there to wear to court?

JMO
No, not typically. Jail retains what you were wearing when booked which I think would mean what AM was wearing when he was arrested in Florida leaving rehab.

If there's an opportunity for the defendant to wear civilian clothes in court, it's generally handled by the defendant's attorney/staff which is what seems to have happened here.

Regarding divorce and Maggie hiring a forensic accountant:

"[Alex] Murdaugh’s perceived need to help Buster get a large payout from an insurance claim and the alleged misuse of firm funds pointed to possible problems in the family finances, and Matt Harris, morning show host on WLNK and host of the podcast “The Murdaugh Family Murders: Impact of Influence,” learned that Maggie Murdaugh had similar questions before she was killed. Maggie, he told CrimeOnline’s Nancy Grace, “hired a forensic accountant.”

Harris didn’t know when that took place, but it could coincide with Maggie’s trip in late April to meet with a divorce attorney in Charleston. PEOPLE magazine reported the meeting, citing a law enforcement source familiar with the Murdaugh investigations, who also said Maggie Murdaugh had just begun to look at the family’s finances in anticipation of seeking a divorce.

“She didn’t pay close attention to the family money or where it came from,” the source said. “But now she was starting to look into it.”

One thing that bothers me. I know people on here have disputed this, but I did not hear any dogs in that GS 911 call. MM and PM would have known if there were any dogs near the GS fall. AM is the only one who says the dogs were the cause, but yet MM halfway backs him up in a statement to the insurance company by saying one of the dogs (Bourbon I think) was very unruly and hard to handle. Was she aware he was ripping off the insurance companies by claiming their dogs did it?
^^RSBM
From all accounts I'm familiar with, MM and PM were not said to be early risers and were allegedly still in bed when GS took a fall down the stairs.

If AM was the first to rise and leave the grounds, it follows that he'd be aware of whether the dogs were out when he left -- or if he allegedly turned them out for that matter.

I also think the dogs are a red herring. AM had two interests here: to keep the claim out of worker's compensation and to maximize the payout by the insurer.

We shouldn't forget the lawsuit was the idea of AM and how he was going to take care of "family." IMO, I think MM would have gone along with that desire. AM needed the family to believe in him and cooperate-- until he didn't. MOO

Another thing that bothers me is their personal and/or corporate business income taxes. Money running through bank accounts in large amounts is reported to the IRS and also leaves a long money trail. BOA especially would have reported it, as big a corporation as they are, the IRS keeps a close oversight on them as does the FDIC and Treasury department. Especially since the Forge account at BOA had to have been listed as a business account (DBA or LLC or INC) since it was not in his personal name. Small banks also have to report it since they too have oversight from the IRS.
^^RSBBM

I think OP misunderstands government oversight of the banking industry.

I believe Forge was a sole proprietorship, treated as a disregarded entity by IRS and for federal income tax purposes.

Just to be clear, wire transfers between accounts are NOT reportable transactions to the IRS by BOA -- they are not cash.

The link below defines who must report CASH TRANSACTIONS to IRS and what is deemed cash.

Under a separate reporting requirement, BOA and other financial institutions report CASH PURCHASES of cashier's checks, treasurer's checks and/or bank checks, bank drafts, traveler's checks, and money orders with a face value of more than $10,000 by filing currency transaction reports.

Unless there's evidence that AM was using cash to purchase cashier's checks and BOA was not reporting the cash transactions, I don't think the Estate's claim against BOA has any merit. While naming BOA might make headlines and hope to facilitate a quick settlement for the Estate of GS, the wrongdoing here was by AM. MOO

As an aside I was shocked at how fast the Gates split up 113 billion in money and assets. Less than 3 months.

Believe me, the settlement between B/M Gates billions did not only take 3 months-- but 90 days from the time the media was strategically informed (i.e., divorce on the 91st day after filing).. :)

^^RSBM
From all accounts I'm familiar with, MM and PM were not said to be early risers and were allegedly still in bed when GS took a fall down the stairs.

If AM was the first to rise and leave the grounds, it follows that he'd be aware of whether the dogs were out when he left -- or if he allegedly turned them out for that matter.

I also think the dogs are a red herring. AM had two interests here: to keep the claim out of worker's compensation and to maximize the payout by the insurer.

We shouldn't forget the lawsuit was the idea of AM and how he was going to take care of "family." IMO, I think MM would have gone along with that desire. AM needed the family to believe in him and cooperate-- until he didn't. MOO

^^RSBBM

I think OP misunderstands government oversight of the banking industry.

I believe Forge was a sole proprietorship, treated as a disregarded entity by IRS and for federal income tax purposes.

Just to be clear, wire transfers between accounts are NOT reportable transactions to the IRS by BOA -- they are not cash.

The link below defines who must report CASH TRANSACTIONS to IRS and what is deemed cash.

Under a separate reporting requirement, BOA and other financial institutions report CASH PURCHASES of cashier's checks, treasurer's checks and/or bank checks, bank drafts, traveler's checks, and money orders with a face value of more than $10,000 by filing currency transaction reports.

Unless there's evidence that AM was using cash to purchase cashier's checks and BOA was not reporting the cash transactions, I don't think the Estate's claim against BOA has any merit. While naming BOA might make headlines and hope to facilitate a quick settlement for the Estate of GS, the wrongdoing here was by AM. MOO

Believe me, the settlement between B/M Gates billions did not only take 3 months-- but 90 days from the time the media was strategically informed (i.e., divorce on the 91st day after filing).. :)
BBM

I disagree. A sole proprietorship is not a disregarded entity and is reported on a Schedule C on your form 1040 personal income taxes. An LLC is the most common type disregarded entity (if it is not reported on a Schedule C) and there are substantial downsides to declaring it a disregarded entity. An LLC can be reported on a Schedule C or you can elect to file it on a form 1065 Partnership Return or an 1120S. A business that is incorporated (Businesses that include INC in name) must report on a Form 1120 or 1120S.

Those were checks and cashier checks, ect that AM was transferring.

ETA: Disregarded Entity: Everything You Need to Know.

Sole proprietorships are not considered disregarded entities, because they are not registered as business entities with the state. Usually, all a sole proprietorship needs to function is a "doing business as" title and a local business license.

Last edited:

SBM

The ‘Murdaugh Murders’ case is about the pursuit of justice against an entire system – one which is doing everything within its power to convince that you it is not part of the problem. To convince you that it knows better than you do. And to convince you that you should trust it … blindly.

Even if South Carolina’s judicial system had a sterling reputation for independence, integrity and industriousness (none of which it has, incidentally) we should still demand access to every shred of paper it produces. In every case. Because those are our papers.

SBM

Buster was fourteenth circuit solicitor from 1940 until his retirement in 1986 – preceded by his father and succeeded by his son. Ironically, the most famous case involving the late prosecutor involved him being on the receiving end of an indictment. Even more ironically, he used a bastardized conception of “transparency” to get himself off the hook on those charges.

SBM

According to federal records obtained by this news outlet, Murdaugh – along with former Colleton county sheriff Haskell Thompson and more than two dozen co-defendants – was indicted by federal authorities in 1956 for “having conspired over a period of several years to violate the internal revenue liquor laws.” Two circuit court magistrates – including one who appeared as a witness for the government – were also part of this conspiracy.

Corrupt judges? Say it ain’t so … right?

I laughed so hard I actually did get choked when I read this.

I’m gagged,” Harpootlian told Gallagher.

Informed that Newman had yet to impose such an order, Harpootlian amended his remarks to say he was “effectively gagged.”

Challenged once more by Gallagher as to the accuracy of that statement, Harpootlian tersely acknowledged no such order had been issued – quickly adding “I’m gagging myself.”

Well Dick, I think a lot of us out here are gagging over your client's behavior. Yours too.

JMO

The state had a really good op ed that I read and agreed with earlier against keeping this case under wraps. I think if this state doesn’t fight to suppress info with drug cases then these crimes should be no different.

BBM

I disagree. A sole proprietorship is not a disregarded entity and is reported on a Schedule C on your form 1040 personal income taxes. An LLC is the most common type disregarded entity (if it is not reported on a Schedule C) and there are substantial downsides to declaring it a disregarded entity. An LLC can be reported on a Schedule C or you can elect to file it on a form 1065 Partnership Return or an 1120S. A business that is incorporated (Businesses that include INC in name) must report on a Form 1120 or 1120S.

Those were checks and cashier checks, ect that AM was transferring.

ETA: Disregarded Entity: Everything You Need to Know.

Sole proprietorships are not considered disregarded entities, because they are not registered as business entities with the state. Usually, all a sole proprietorship needs to function is a "doing business as" title and a local business license.
Another thing that bothers me is their personal and/or corporate business income taxes. Money running through bank accounts in large amounts is reported to the IRS and also leaves a long money trail. BOA especially would have reported it, as big a corporation as they are, the IRS keeps a close oversight on them as does the FDIC and Treasury department. Especially since the Forge account at BOA had to have been listed as a business account (DBA or LLC or INC) since it was not in his personal name. Small banks also have to report it since they too have oversight from the IRS.
^^rsbbm

@RAISINISBACK
- thanks for your response to my post. Although I did my best to snip what I was responding to (re-quoted above), it seems I was not clear, and apologize.

Although I was not referring to the legal definition of "disregarded entity," I think the better choice of word is non-entity.

I think Forge was a non-entity, where the profits and losses pass through to the owner, and the proprietorship was solely owned by one spouse, AM.

I'm not sure why OP sent link for the grand jury indictment filed 7/20/22, USA v Russell Lucius Laffitte? If the intent was to send the complaint by the Estate against BOA, I've already seen this. Thanks again.

Regarding divorce and Maggie hiring a forensic accountant:

"[Alex] Murdaugh’s perceived need to help Buster get a large payout from an insurance claim and the alleged misuse of firm funds pointed to possible problems in the family finances, and Matt Harris, morning show host on WLNK and host of the podcast “The Murdaugh Family Murders: Impact of Influence,” learned that Maggie Murdaugh had similar questions before she was killed. Maggie, he told CrimeOnline’s Nancy Grace, “hired a forensic accountant.”

Harris didn’t know when that took place, but it could coincide with Maggie’s trip in late April to meet with a divorce attorney in Charleston. PEOPLE magazine reported the meeting, citing a law enforcement source familiar with the Murdaugh investigations, who also said Maggie Murdaugh had just begun to look at the family’s finances in anticipation of seeking a divorce.

“She didn’t pay close attention to the family money or where it came from,” the source said. “But now she was starting to look into it.”

How awful for this woman, MM.

She'd already been carrying the heartache of visiting a divorce lawyer in April, and with hesitation, agrees to travel to see her father-in- law that's near death-- but for reasons known only to AM, he does not want her to go directly to hospital, and then she's shot dead-- only because she met fishy acting AM at their property. And then she probably also had to watch her son die? Besides evil, that's just cruel. o_O

That's one very bad Monday.

Wouldn't it be great if it was an Apple Watch or Fitbit? AM is not too bright when it comes to the latest in technology I'd guess.

MOO
It's gotta be something like that, as a normal watch doesn't give law enforcement location data. It sounds like this was incredibly sloppy, but they didn't want to take any chances (nor did they need to once he was behind bars for the other stuff).

I’ll wait till after AM trial before I feel sorry for him. His name has been brought up multiple times in reference to Stephen Smith’s questionable death, he supplied PM with his DL’s, iirc he had 2. And the Vegas trip after dad’s arrest.

Jmo

Jmo

I like the what Judge N had to say regarding the requests for a gag order:
<snipped>

Judge Newman said he would study the motions, sounding somewhat skeptical because he said he rarely issues gag orders, telling lawyers, “I just want it clearly understood it’s a public matter, a public trial.. Matters that need to be sealed can be sealed. I want it clear we will not have any private motion hearings. Public matters will be public".

Alex Murdaugh pleads not guilty as judge mulls gag order, speedy trial in murder case

I’ll wait till after AM trial before I feel sorry for him. His name has been brought up multiple times in reference to Stephen Smith’s questionable death, he supplied PM with his DL’s, iirc he had 2. And the Vegas trip after dad’s arrest.

Jmo

Jmo

He's probably young enough that he can redeem himself, if he chooses. He may go through this horrible time emerging as a better person. I hope he does, it will make his own life much better and will make it easier to move forward.

Jmo

Jmo

ITA, I need to know more before feeling sorry for him. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong