PA - Lindy Sue Biechler, 19, fatally stabbed, Lancaster County, 5 Dec 1975 *arrest in 2022*

'Seemed like a nice guy': What we know about the man charged with 1975 killing of Lindy Sue Biechler​

https://lancasteronline.com/news/local/seemed-like-a-nice-guy-what-we-know-about-the-man-charged-with-1975-killing/article_e7a7ad1e-06e1-11ed-889f-4b7d590f082a.html

David V. Sinopoli, the man arrested and charged with killing 19-year-old Lindy Sue Biechler in 1975, appears to have lived all of his 68 years in Lancaster County.
For the first 50 years of his life, Sinopoli showed up in the pages of LNP’s predecessor newspapers for the reasons most people find their names in the paper – a letter to the editor, a mention in a piece about bowhunting, a wedding notice for his son, property conveyances and a divorce.

But it was a different sort of news that put Sinopoli’s name in print in 2004.

According to court records and a Feb. 10, 2004, Intelligencer Journal article, Sinopoli was sentenced to one year of probation in 2004 after pleading guilty to invasion of privacy and disorderly conduct. He was also fined $100 plus court costs.

Sinopoli admitted spying on a woman who was naked in a tanning room at Sissy’s Hair Boutique in Mount Joy, where he was an employee.

Born in Lancaster on Jan. 8, 1954, to Julia and George Sinopoli, David attended J.P. McCaskey High School and was a member of the Civil Air Patrol, according to newspaper records.

He was a peeping tom. What was he doing working in a hair salon/tanning boutique in 2004? Obviously, a great job for a creeper.

Has there been news about how likely it is that Sinopoli wrote the letter to the police about a year after she was murdered and shortly after her gravestone was vandalized? I'm wondering how accurate some of the details in that letter were... Like, is Sinopoli 5'10"? Did he live in the suburbs on Lancaster's west end? Did he ever have a drug related arrest?

According to records in Ancesty.com, city directories show him having lived in Elizabethtown, Mount Joy, Lancaster and E. Hempfield Twp, PA. All are west or northwest of Lancaster.

Here's a map. Kloss Dr. is the street where Lindy Biechler lived.

In 1974, he lived at 104 Kloss Dr, close to Lindy Biechler

ETA: I just noticed that Lindy Biechler had the same address (104 Kloss Dr.) as the one listed for Sinipoli the previous year.

Lindy's address listed here as 104 Kloss Drive, Lancaster, PA

The following link from the Feb 1, 1974 issue of the Lancaster New Era shows David Sinopoli getting his marriage license with his first wife. His address is listed as 104 Kloss Dr.

It looks like there are two units at each entrance in this apartment complex, with apartment A & B. It's possible Sinopoli was still living there, in an apartment next door, when he killed Lindy. I don't think so, though. Lindy reported someone had been following her in the weeks before she was killed. If it were her next door neighbor, she would have recognized him, right?

The other possibility is that Sinopoli had moved to a new apartment with his new wife after getting married in 1974. If Lindy and her husband moved into Sinopoli's old apartment, Sinopoli may have kept the key. He could have used it to get in. Back then, landlords probably didn't bother to change locks when a tenant moved out.

Just a theory.

ETA: There were 4 units at each address, not 2.

Last edited:
Just a theory.

It seems likely that there was at least some overlap in their time in residence at the apartment complex as that would likely be where Sinopoli first saw Lindy. And, if she knew him or recognized him as her neighbor, she may have freely opened the door and allowed him in.

Kloss Drive is less than two miles from Beth Clark's home, where she was murdered.

Any way to tell where he was living in 1978?

Also, any way to find out what he drove? This may be oddly specific, but I'm curious if he may have had a motorcycle.

It seems likely that there was at least some overlap in their time in residence at the apartment complex as that would likely be where Sinopoli first saw Lindy. And, if she knew him or recognized him as her neighbor, she may have freely opened the door and allowed him in.

Kloss Drive is less than two miles from Beth Clark's home, where she was murdered.

Any way to tell where he was living in 1978?

Also, any way to find out what he drove? This may be oddly specific, but I'm curious if he may have had a motorcycle.

All I can find on Ancestry.com are city directory, etc. type records. Those only give a "range" for dates, nothing specific to the year. Sorry. I'll keep looking. It's possible he was still living nearby.

Yes, it's possible Lindy knew him, but LE isn't saying for now. My assumption is that she didn't because she talked of someone following her in the weeks before her murder. It's possible those sightings were in the dark, where she couldn't see enough of Sinopoli's physical features to recognize him. I assume the prosecution is keeping all the evidence to themselves and will reveal it during the trial.

That's done sometimes, an a means of excluding those who will claim to be the killer, especially if they feel the letter contains something only the killer would know.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't show some of the handwriting, Im not sure however how often handwriting is a reliable tool in generating a suspect either. I know its used a lot once there's a suspect to compare

Ok So lets look at the case :

First I in NO way think this crime has anything to do with the Zodiac crimes, the Signature aspect of the Zodiac crimes, doesn't match with what personation is left at this scene.

Ive seen MANY MANY crimes, are listed as potential Zodiac crimes, but so many of them have NO similarities. In many ways it seemed that it was an easy "out" to label crimes, that of the Zodiac, even perhaps by law enforcement

Ill go one further, and say unless there's something on that the letter that police are holding to exclude potential claimants, I have a pretty strong feeling the letter is a hoax , I don't believe it was 2 people either.

Now That doesn't mean the offender didn't write the letter, and or desecrate the grave, , there's always a possibility , but it seems somewhat unlikely in this case .

Evident by the fact the Police didn't respond or send the letter to the media , yet none of the actions taken by the writer ever materialized.

MO is a crime scene dynamic it changes, and evolves over time, sometimes it devolves depending on circumstance.

What also happens is that it is also sometimes copied, from popular incidents in the media , which I felt was the case here when writing the letter. Some will take it to the extreme that will actually commit crimes, in the vein of another which we call "copycat crimes"(NY Zodiac for instance)

Ill refrain from going in depth on the Zodiac crimes, but its my belief that there's no evidence to support beyond coincidence, any relation between this case and the Zodiac case .

When investigating a homicide, the BIGGEST mistake you can do is try to link them without 1st investigating each victim thoroughly.

I see that in a lot of posts, people shoot right for the Serial Killer theory, and many attempt to link cases, you have to first understand what happened to the victim, then see if there any sign of personation at the scene coincides with any other cases, which then becomes known as "signature" .

And a note on Serial Killings, they re disgusting, intriguing , and fascinate a lot of people, and they are also very rare, they comprise roughly 1% of the homicides reported.

The Victim:
A victimology analysis is tough without the proper materials and interviews. but a lot of questions need to be asked before an investigator can proceed

though some of these questions seem pointless, (maybe even distasteful to some) they all help generate a victim profile :
-Last known location, and last contacts
-Physical traits
-Education
-Has she ever been in trouble with the law ?
-Anyone in her family immediate or otherwise ever been in trouble with the law
-Any medical history (psychological or physical)
-How was her relationship with her husband ?
-Did they have any problems?
-Did she have ay problems?
-Was she on any meds?
-For What ?
-How was her (their) financial situation?
-Any problems at work?
-Did anything recently happen or change in her life ?
-Was there anything in her lifestyle that would make her a target ?
-Was she or is there any indication she was involved, with anyone either professionally, or romantically?
-Did she keep a diary, or any writings?
-Any drug or alcohol use , if so has it increased, recently?
-Was she afraid of anything or anyone? (stalking?)
-List of friends especially anyone who visited recently
-any unusual occurrences prior to the crime ?
-Past employment history
-Would anyone be willing to help with the investigation? Names ?

Its also important to talk to any of the victims children if they are able to communicate thoroughly (due to age or distress)

Next we assess the why:
Why was this particular person targeted?
How were the person targeted, or was the person a victim of opportunity?
What are the chances of the person becoming a victim at random (and therefore opportunistic)?
What risk did the offender take to commit the crime?
How was the victim approached, restrained and/or attacked?
What was the victim's likely reaction to the attack?

This helps assess risk, both to her, and the amount the offender took in choosing her as a victim.

I cant say whether or not , she was high risk or low risk, but by all appearances, she lived a low risk lifestyle. Which would make her high risk for the offender.

What was the motive?
a robbery seems possible but nothing was taken, a burglary(or even a fetish burglary) seems unlikely unless she walked in on one, but there were no signs of forced entry, and again nothing of value (or intimate items) was taken .

They state they feel it was possibly a sexual attack though she wasn't sexually assaulted, however they don't state why, which would be EXREMELY valuable in assessing this crime.

This leads me to believe that there was at least some evidence of an attempted rape.

So lets look at it from the sexual assault perspective.
Why wasn't she raped? they believe he had a weapon of his own yet she was apparently killed by a knife from her own kitchen.

yet there was NO overt appearance of an attempted rape , at least not listed.

Why didn't he rape her ?
-Was he interrupted?
-Sexual dysfunction?
-Was he horrified by the murder?
-Why was she stabbed so many times ?
-Was this someone who was exhibiting rage to her ?
-Or perhaps he wasn't he able to because she was beating the **** out of him fighting back.

therefore if we look at it as a rape attempt, gone awry we need to try to classify the rapist.

Ina case in Philadelphia in 2002, a student named Shannon Scheiber was killed in a rape attempt gone wrong , by a Serial rapist named Troy Graves (AKA the Center City Rapist) . Graves was classified as a "Power reassurance rapist".. which happens to be the most common type as well. The power reassurance rapist In the attack on Scheiber, it was determined she fought "like a wild animal" in which the rapist escalated his level of violence to force victim compliance, which lead to the death of Scheiber .

The power reassurance rapist is usually a sexual dysfunctional , who is a stranger to the victim, usually conducts surveillance on his victims, either immediately prior to or shortly before the crime (she stated she saw someone watching her)

His method of approach is surprise (Possibly while she was taking in the groceries he may've even offered to help her with them)

The victim is usually alone or with young children at the time of the attack (she was alone)

He most likely uses a weapon of opportunity, but may bring his own to initiate victim compliance. (her knife was used as well as his possibly)

Now the part I struggle with is that this type is also the lest likely to harm their victim, is usually "gentle" if you will with the victim, and wont usually use force, what is necessary to force victim compliance, but as evidenced in the Philadelphia case, it can and does happen

The disarray in the house seems to indicate some kind of struggle, he may've been armed with a knife of his own, but lost it in the struggle and was forced to arm himself with the knife from the kitchen

That being said stabbing someone 11 times, in the neck seems more indicative of a interpersonal crime (IE someone who knew the victim)

Another possibility is that it was someone who knew the victim who she was comfortable letting in the house. This individual was most likely not a visitor by happenstance, he knew she was alone, and he was possibly armed with his own knife as well

Its possible this was a argument that exploded, once they were in the house together , in which I would tend to believe that ANY sort of sexual assault was actually staged, to throw off the investigation. Stabbing repeatedly is usually some type of a manifestation of rage and anger .

These weren't wounds to injure and force compliance, these were to kill the victim, deep penetrating stab wounds to a high lethal area.. He wanted her dead

Now depending on the nature and extent of that rage, this offender may or may not feel the need to desiccate her grave later on.

However if it were a case of hatred to that extent, I would think someone around the victim, would most likely have some prior knowledge of at least some discord between the victim and someone else.

Stalker:
Another possibility, however, stalking generally begins with victim/offender interaction, these usually a defined, period of interaction between the 2 sometimes, romantically, sometimes, simply perceived as such by the offender.

Though it can begin with little more than a "Hello" in some cases .

If it was the case of her being stalked Id expect to see phone calls, of any kind, possibly letters, things left on her car, unexpected "coincidental" run ins. She would seem him places, see a car that resembles his often enough to worry her , she would've confided in others most likely.

However beyond the incident where she saw someone looking through her blinds, there seems to be no indicators , and nothing listed of her being "stalked" in the traditional sense.

She was however targeted.

Bringing this analysis by Kell1 forward.

Also, reading the letter sent to police in 1977, if he was the one who sent it, it seems he was trying to misdirect LE.

Has there been news about how likely it is that Sinopoli wrote the letter to the police about a year after she was murdered and shortly after her gravestone was vandalized? I'm wondering how accurate some of the details in that letter were... Like, is Sinopoli 5'10"? Did he live in the suburbs on Lancaster's west end? Did he ever have a drug related arrest?

My interest in the case is mostly due to some similarities with the case of Elizabeth Clark who was brutally beaten in her Millersville home on April 7th, 1978 and died a couple days later.

I've been wondering about that, too. Did he know a Janice &/or anyone with last name Crum?

I've been wondering about that, too. Did he know a Janice &/or anyone with last name Crum?

So, this is the best image I've found of the letter... (I cropped in a bit from the original.)

biechler_letter.jpeg

I'm not even a rank amateur at handwriting analysis, but I was interested in it at one time and learned a little and I do a bit of calligraphy. It seems obvious to me that both the main part and the PS were written by the same person. I'm basing this opinion on a several similar features between both sections... the capital L's and I's, the crossing line of the t's being high, the tendency to write initial c's as nearly capitals, the mix of initial t's with upstrokes and without (w/o on some but not all common words like "the" and "this"), the capital D's on the word "drugs" in both sections, and the spelling of chief Sheeler's name with a lowercase 's' in both sections. It seems like the PS section was mostly just written smaller to appear to be from someone different, but there is just far too much similarity in the actual letter forms and quirks to be two different writers.

So, this is the best image I've found of the letter... (I cropped in a bit from the original.)

View attachment 355121

I'm not even a rank amateur at handwriting analysis, but I was interested in it at one time and learned a little and I do a bit of calligraphy. It seems obvious to me that both the main part and the PS were written by the same person. I'm basing this opinion on a several similar features between both sections... the capital L's and I's, the crossing line of the t's being high, the tendency to write initial c's as nearly capitals, the mix of initial t's with upstrokes and without (w/o on some but not all common words like "the" and "this"), the capital D's on the word "drugs" in both sections, and the spelling of chief Sheeler's name with a lowercase 's' in both sections. It seems like the PS section was mostly just written smaller to appear to be from someone different, but there is just far too much similarity in the actual letter forms and quirks to be two different writers.

I'd always assumed the letter and PS section were written by the same person. I guess they attempted to obtain fingerprints. I know at some point LE didn't think the killer wrote the letter but I guess they haven't stated whether Sinopoli was the actual writer and/or sent the letter. But if he did, I'm curious if Sinopoli even knew someone by that name "Janice Crum" or if he just made it up.

The following is copied from the third post of page 1 of this thread:

hi sheeler
Just Eats up your heart knowing you havn't caught me yet, still around, Lindy's marker on her grave just turned me on like she did, and the way she looked all bloody, like the paint on her Marker, the scratch and nick marks represent the knife stabes.
Count them.
you wondered if the guy at the gas station in Mountville were related to Biechlers murder. forget it man, no way.
I'll tell you what Chief Pig, you print this Letter in the paper along with a Picture in Friday nights Lancaster Paper and saturday mornings paper, and I might confesss When I get off my trip. You see the world owes me a living, maybe I give you a few hints who I am.
got busted once for Drugs a few years back
Live in West end of Lancaster Suburbs
I am 5'10" tall 205 LBS fat and Beautiful
and capable of killing again without knowing it
Dec. 5, 1975 was under the stupor of amfetamines Like right know.
Well educated man in the Community, single, good job but god please chief help me I am loosing my mind help me before I kill again, the headaches kill me Every time it aches, the Drugs only Calm it temporarily.
Will god forgive me ---------
Please print this Chief in the paper so I know you got it. v then I write you again, god I need a priest what have I done.
Help me please
P.S. chief sheeler my friend has confess to the killing of Lindy Sue biechler, as god is my withness Do as he asks, print this letter on the front page, I am not aware of his intentions right now but contemplating murder is not his intentions, he is mentally sick. When the letter appears, then he will turn himself in, he described the relationship he and Lindy had before he killed her. He only realizes it now when your on Drugs your not responsible for your actions. Please he is asleep now. That's why I finished the letter. All I can tell you my friend frequents manor shopping center in the Evenings and the fields around it. Mostly weeknights. He will contact you very soon and oh when he Does please bring a Catholic priest to the police station. Janice Crum

Last edited:
I could not be happier about the arrest. I hope this brings some measure of peace to Lindy’s family.

One thought that keeps spinning through my head throughout the morning…yes, this creature lived a large portion of his life free but what about now? I’m twelve years younger than this guy and know what it’s like to move about freely without restrictions. Could it be that imprisonment later in life is much more torturous since the prisoner had freedom for so long and now knows exactly what they‘re missing?

No doubt it would have been better (and certainly kinder to the family) to solve this case sooner than later but unfortunately it didn’t work out that way. But for those thinking he got away with it all these years just keep in mind that later is better than never and as I said taking away your freedom after having it all these years is a satisfying twist that will cause him not just mental pain but physical pain as well. The older you get, the more the creature comforts matter.

Just a thought.

View attachment 355121

One possible similarity is that Sinipoli is Catholic. The letter mentions a Catholic priest a couple of times, no one specific, just a generic reference. If he wrote this, he seems to be feeling like he's very smart in having fooled police. This letter was sent about 3 yrs after Lindy's murder.

I also wonder if he was the one who poured paint on her tombstone and tried to damage it. JMO, its likely he did. Why would some anonymous stranger want to do that?

One possible similarity is that Sinipoli is Catholic. The letter mentions a Catholic priest a couple of times, no one specific, just a generic reference. If he wrote this, he seems to be feeling like he's very smart in having fooled police. This letter was sent about 3 yrs after Lindy's murder.

I also wonder if he was the one who poured paint on her tombstone and tried to damage it. JMO, its likely he did. Why would some anonymous stranger want to do that?

One inaccuracy there... Manor Twp. police received the letter 1 year and 1 month (on Jan 5, 1977) after Lindy's murder. This was only a couple weeks after her family discovered her gravestone had been vandalized.

To me, it seems pretty likely that the person who wrote the letter also desecrated the grave. It is possible this was some other person entirely who became morbidly obsessed with the case and wanted to somehow be involved.

Whether it comes out publicly or not, I would expect that the police have a good idea by now whether or not the letter writer was Sinopoli. A handwriting expert should have no problem confirming or disconfirming that.

One inaccuracy there... Manor Twp. police received the letter 1 year and 1 month (on Jan 5, 1977) after Lindy's murder. This was only a couple weeks after her family discovered her gravestone had been vandalized.

To me, it seems pretty likely that the person who wrote the letter also desecrated the grave. It is possible this was some other person entirely who became morbidly obsessed with the case and wanted to somehow be involved.

Whether it comes out publicly or not, I would expect that the police have a good idea by now whether or not the letter writer was Sinopoli. A handwriting expert should have no problem confirming or disconfirming that.

Agree. There's not enough evidence (that's publicly known) to indicate the killer wrote the letter or desecrated the grave. Now that they've arrested him, its possible they will analyze his handwriting. All this information will likely come out in the trial.

I read in the Lancaster newspaper that Sinopoli’s first wife said she would pass Lindy around their apartment complex and they would smile and acknowledge eachother or something… so it seems Lindy and David Sinopoli definitely would have recognized eachother by sight.

My interest in the case is mostly due to some similarities with the case of Elizabeth Clark who was brutally beaten in her Millersville home on April 7th, 1978 and died a couple days later.

I don’t think Sinopoli wrote the letter honestly… if he had had a drug related arrested we would probably know about it since we know about his peeping tom arrest. Idk, David seems like he fooled everyone so I kind of doubt he would do something as foolish as writing an unhinged letter to law enforcement. I will be surprised if it ends up being him, I feel like it was just some looney who wanted attention

I don’t think Sinopoli wrote the letter honestly… if he had had a drug related arrested we would probably know about it since we know about his peeping tom arrest. Idk, David seems like he fooled everyone so I kind of doubt he would do something as foolish as writing an unhinged letter to law enforcement. I will be surprised if it ends up being him, I feel like it was just some looney who wanted attention

I agree about the drug arrest. I'm still 50/50 on whether he wrote it and included false details in an attempt to mislead investigators. Maybe it'll come out in the trial. Or maybe not. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I also saw the article in LNP where Sinopoli's ex-wife mentioned seeing Lindy in passing which does confirm that their time in residence there overlapped and that Lindy would almost certainly have recognized David.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back