Found Deceased TX - Chrissy Powell, 39, San Antonio, Paralegal, didn’t arrive @work, BOLO, 5 July 2022

Circumstances where you end up in the front passenger seat of your own car with the door closed...

1) someone else was driving
2) you need something out of the glove box?
3) you're taking a nap (in 90 heat??)

Help me out here- you're on your way to work, you're late, you stop for some reason at a busy shopping center and get into the passenger seat of your car and close the door...

I've moved to the passenger seat to take a phone call in my car, but only in areas where people are passing by and might notice me sitting in the car and hope I'm pulling out of my parking space. She's also SO TINY, it's hard to imagine that she needed extra room to do anything, or could reach into the passenger seat from the driver's seat...

Very sad. I agree completely that she could have died of heat stroke - this is extremely plausible, unfortunately - especially if she was looking for something in a hot, parked car with the windows closed (re: post #434 above). It's hot as hell in TX right now.
It would be interesting to know if the gas tank was still full. If the car was running with AC on, and she, for whatever reason, moved into the passenger seat (look for a phone, find her meds, etc.) and then passed out, the car would have run and supplied her with AC til the gas tank emptied, I would think. If the tank is empty, the car could not have been driven there. She also could have sadly taken her own life with the engine on and AC running.

It would be interesting to know if the gas tank was still full. If the car was running with AC on, and she, for whatever reason, moved into the passenger seat (look for a phone, find her meds, etc.) and then passed out, the car would have run and supplied her with AC til the gas tank emptied, I would think. If the tank is empty, the car could not have been driven there. She also could have sadly taken her own life with the engine on and AC running.
I was wondering the same thing Jersey. Was the key in the run position and the gas tank empty?

I was wondering the same thing Jersey. Was the key in the run position and the gas tank empty?
Ahh, even more clues - the key itself - great thought. I can't imagine that if she got out of the car to look for something she thought maybe fell on the passenger side, that she would have turned off the engine. Not in the heat, no way.

Have any of you looked up what the interior of a 2020 Nissan Rogue is like? There is no way someone slumped over into the passenger side from behind the wheel would be described as being in the passenger seat. There is a large console and the gear shifting the way.

This poster is spot on. This is what the interior of a 2020 Nissan Rogue looks like. If she was described as being in the passenger seat, I believe she probably was.

1658788430052.png

Last edited:
The guard told investigators the vehicle had been "parked in the same location for about a week," police said.

She went missing on July 5th. It seems he does his job well as he noticed the car. But that statement above seems like the car wasn't there prior to him noticing. Which raises a lot of questions.

Not to mention other security guards will confirm. I am sure they will look at CCTV cameras.

"mall complex is located approximately four miles away – a 10-minutes drive – from her Red Hill Place home."

She obviously did travel far.

It seems at this point they will be able to tell how long she has been deceased based on decomposition.

It's odd. The only time I am in the passeneger seat is if someone else is driving. Or I am cleaning out at the car wash.

Doors were shut/windows closed...this is moo but it seems a bit suspect.

Source:

The most recent article upthread says she was found “in the front seat”. but doesn’t specifically say passenger seat. Could it be just semantics? If I say front seat I think passenger seat but it could also be the driver‘s seat, yes?

ETA the most recent article does state front passenger seat. Sorry.

Ahh, even more clues - the key itself - great thought. I can't imagine that if she got out of the car to look for something she thought maybe fell on the passenger side, that she would have turned off the engine. Not in the heat, no way.
Good point. I wondered about her taking pills and waiting for them to take effect but it would be so very hot sitting in her car. And she left her phone at home so she wasn't searching for it under the seat.

Still, if this was intentional on her part, we can't make assumptions on her actions - as she wasn't in her usual state of mind. It may have only made sense to her.

“A missing San Antonio woman was found dead in a vehicle parked in a Medical Center shopping plaza on the city's Northwest Side on Saturday, July 23, according to the San Antonio Police Department. The woman, Christina Powell was last seen leaving her house in a rush on the morning of July 5.

San Antonio officers responded just before 7 a.m. to the Huebner Oaks Center in the 11700 block of Interstate 10 W after a security guard reported a suspicious 2020 Nissan Rogue that had been in the parking lot for a week, according to a news alert sent by SAPD on Monday, July 25.”
FOR A WEEK? That's the part I'm not understanding. Nobody on security detail looked inside it or reported it for that long? That can't be their norm, surely?

Good point. I wondered about her taking pills and waiting for them to take effect but it would be so very hot sitting in her car. And she left her phone at home so she wasn't searching for it under the seat.

Still, if this was intentional on her part, we can't make assumptions on her actions - as she wasn't in her usual state of mind. It may have only made sense to her.
Unless she didn't realize she left her phone at home until she got halfway to work. Folks seem to think that, and the Apple watch, were intentionally left behind, and they could have been, but maybe she was half awake, rushing, got halfway to work, said OMG, maybe grabbed her purse while driving and the contents flew out all over the place, so had to pull over to search. Just thinking out loud here. So many possibilities...

As a citizen, it's surprising to think police or security personnel were not on the look out for matching vehicles in the area and noticed this sooner (I believe this is not too far from her job?). Of course if it was placed there within the week that is another issue altogether

It should be easy enough to look at business video and see on what date the Rogue entered the shopping center parking lot. Wondering if the security guard is mistaken and the car was there longer than a week, or for the entire 3 weeks. If not, I also wonder if she was at a hotel or someone’s house prior to the parking lot.

It should be easy enough to look at business video and see on what date the Rogue entered the shopping center parking lot. Wondering if the security guard is mistaken and the car was there longer than a week, or for the entire 3 weeks. If not, I also wonder if she was at a hotel or someone’s house prior to the parking lot.
Does anyone here have any idea how long shopping malls like that tend to keep video feeds on hard drives or servers? I'm sure it varies depending on how they're managed, budget, whether individual stores have them vs the entire strip mall complex, etc.

I hope they don't get overwritten quickly, like every week. Especially as it's all digital so as long as your device has enough storage, you could probably keep months' worth of video.

I wonder if she was still wearing the same clothes that she was wearing when she left her home for work. That may give some indication as to when her car was parked there, and when she perished. If she had on the same clothes, that might indicate that she died relatively soon after leaving home, perhaps within the day. If she had on different clothes, that would seem to point to her having perhaps been alive and elsewhere for a period of time. JMO

I’d have turned the engine off—and I live in that sort of heat. But, I’m not going to assume that other people would do what I’d do.

If she were stressed, and not thinking clearly from a medical emergency, could she have moved to the passenger seat to look for her phone, thinking that perhaps it slid off that seat and slid under the seat? And perhaps that she didn’t realize that she’d left her phone at home?

Entirely my speculation

I wonder if she was still wearing the same clothes that she was wearing when she left her home for work. That may give some indication as to when her car was parked there, and when she perished. If she had on the same clothes, that might indicate that she died relatively soon after leaving home. If she had on different clothes, that would seem to point to her having perhaps been alive and elsewhere for a period of time. JMO
Excellent question, @SteveP! I really hope whomever is in charge of this doesn't just write it off as a self-harm. Obviously the autopsy should shed some (or all) light, although I'm worried given the length of time and temperatures inside a parked enclosed vehicle, etc., that anything can be analyzed accurately at this point from being subjected to heat and degradation.

I can think of another reason to be in the passenger seat, but it probably doesn't apply in this case:
I've been told that if you're in some way impaired, you can be charged with a DUI just by being "behind the wheel" even if you're parked and not "driving."

Maybe she was experiencing some form of impairment and decided to "sleep it off" before continuing?
Moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151
Back